Real-life Sad Story

Xweel

Sal I.S
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haai everyone.

okay so I started making a female character for my epic medieval fantasy novel, I want this character's life to be the saddest one throughout the story...not necessarily the saddest but extremely sad......anyways a couple days ago my mother told me of how a 17 year old died in our family around 30 years ago or something....the story is really sad, I wanna hear your non-religious opinions about using the main idea of the story and implant it in the character...is it ethically okay...morally....I feel bad doing it but I really want to :eek: and its not that I cant make up something on my own I already made an alternative.

thanks and sorry for any disturbance I might have caused :eek:.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
If I understand what you're asking ...

Well, I wouldn't feel bad about using that as a start-off point, mostly because I think it would change so much in the development and writing process, it would end up being someone and something completely different than what exactly happened.

But I would advise wholeheartedly against doing anything that makes you feel bad or uncomfortable. In that case, just go with your fictional alternative.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
You're asking if you can use a real-life tragedy to inspire your fictional character, correct?

Yes. Yes, you can. Authors do it all the time. It's sometimes done as a tribute, sometimes done for closure, or simply because it provided inspiration. It's only morally questionable if you use your fiction to belittle that tragedy or make a mockery of it, IMHO. Just change the names and the details, but you can keep the basic structure.

If you're really conflicted, though, then ask the people involved. Or look around for other tragedies; read history books, biographies, or autobiographies. There's no shortage of tragic lives in the world.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Real life informs fiction all the time. Unless you have the permission and approval of all who were involved, it's probably a good idea to change the name and details of the situation to avoid hurt feelings, embarrassment, or defensiveness by those who may feel (rightly or wrongly) that their own actions are not being portrayed fairly or accurately. If this is to be a work of SF or F, then it sounds like whatever happened is going to be extrapolated into a completely different situation anyway.

Now whether a tragic story about a 17 year old who dies will fly is going to depend on your approach to storytelling. Not everyone likes sad stories, especially in speculative fiction. But some people are receptive to them. It will also depend on who the actual protagonist of the story is.

No idea where religion would come into it.

Last edited:

Xweel

Sal I.S
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone you cleared all my doubts....but I think you're over-thinking it more than me :p.....I don't even know the name of the poor boys......I found out they were 2...brothers..died the same way.
The story is about how naivety killed a person, or in this case 2 persons...which is really sad..for me at least.

Thanks again.