Not open for further replies.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... was 94.
Winner of the Nobel Prize !
Rather remarkable bio as well:

When she left for Britain at 30, escaping the scene of an unhappy childhood and two failed marriages, she had in her suitcase the manuscript of a novel that broke new ground with its depiction of an inter-racial relationship in her white-ruled homeland. "The Grass Is Singing" was an immediate bestseller in Britain, Europe and America.

Leaving school at 13 to spite her mother, she educated herself by immersing herself in Dickens, D.H. Lawrence, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy, when she was not running off into the bush.

RIP to a great writer !

source: http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/11/17/britain-lessing-idINL5N0J20TT20131117

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this a few minutes ago. What a shame - she was a wonderful writer.

I haven't managed to work my way through all her books yet, but the ones I have read have been well worth it. I particularly enjoyed The Cleft.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Doris Lessing was THAT writer for me. The one who made me catch glimpses of what was possible, the one who made me realise I might not be the only person like me out there, the one who made me realise that writers could come from anywhere and be anyone.

She will be much missed.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read any of her books, but knew of her by reputation. Any recommendations for a first-timer? :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I always found her books to be really easy! But then I like a good bit of angst.

The Golden Notebook is the one she's most famous for, I think; I thought her Martha Quest series was very insightful; and perhaps The Good Terrorist, which is a shorter read but somewhat gloomy, might be a good place to start.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The Golden Notebook is very long for a starter book. Maybe try The Grass is Singing or Memoirs of a Survivor.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I started the Golden Notebook eons ago and found it was not for me; haven't read anything else by her. Would be willing to try again, though.

I did meet her at a HarperCollins summer party, where she shook my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.