Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
(Note to mods -- wasn't sure which forum would be best for this, so if you think it'd work better somewhere else....)

I posted this in another thread and thought it might be helpful for a wider audience to know what goes on in the process of designing a cover.

My publisher recently did a series of posts about the whole process (handily listed here) from acquisition, through art department briefings, to final touches. I know I learnt a few things from this, and thought perhaps it would be interesting (or useful) to see what goes on, and discuss it.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's really interesting; thanks!

And those are gorgeous covers. If I saw one of those in a bookstore, I would dive on it like it was a live grenade. (And probably will, at some point. Serious eye candy.)

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Awesome share, thank you!

As someone who's always designed covers for himself and friends (admittedly poor quality, since I only use Free stock photos), it's nice to see how it's done professionally.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wow, thanks for sharing this.

I had no idea so much work went into cover design. I always thought a group of people decided, after a meeting or two with their marketing people, that a "assassin in a cloak and two swords flying through the air" or a "sexy woman in a provocative yet athletic pose" or whatever was what they wanted, then commissioned one of their artists to paint it.

Do they always put this much effort into cover design, or is this something they do when they think the story is going to hit a certain market demographic that would benefit from going the extra mile?

The stuff with the trampoline and the weapons and the clothes etc. was pretty amazing. I still think "dude with a cloak" is kind of cliched, though, and I have trouble believing that a real martial arts assassin would be wearing that flowing cloak that could get caught on things or hamper his movement. Haven't read the books, though, so can't say if they accurately portray the way the character actually looked/dressed.

So does this mean that when a publishing company does put a woman in a spine-twisting pose on their cover (the sort that Jim Hines satirizes), they actually get a contortionist model in for a photo shoot?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Do they always put this much effort into cover design, or is this something they do when they think the story is going to hit a certain market demographic that would benefit from going the extra mile?

Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but they were talking to me about the ideas for my cover before the contract was finalised - several months before it was announced and well over a year before the book came out. They certainly think about it very deeply -- who the book will attract and how to make a cover that will attract the people who will like the book. Sometimes that means going with what has previously worked. Sometimes, something in the book helps them do something new. (other, smaller pubs I've worked with have done stuff in a lot shorter time frame, and sometimes recycle images that they know work).

So does this mean that when a publishing company does put a woman in a spine-twisting pose on their cover (the sort that Jim Hines satirizes), they actually get a contortionist model in for a photo shoot?
One suspects a LOT is to do with the publisher, but they also go by what actually sells, though out of the box is always a consideration. So the hooded man covers (started by the Trudi Canavan covers? The latest, which looks like a hooded man trying to press through the page, is a really cool twist) sold well, so they replicated what worked. But ofc you have to have something new occasionally. At least in these covers, the hooded man is not that same model guy I've seen, in the same clothes in the same pose, on many covers. One suspects that a lot of the spine twisters are not photo shoots (many covers aren't. Here's a post on how the artist did mine, for example.)

Covers can be problematic, but what is also problematic is these covers sell. ETA: That doesn't mean I don't think they shouldn't sort it out. Though I see much less of that on UK covers, or the ones I see at least

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Neat.

And I like the covers they did for your books. Very intriguing, and they capture the mood of the books much better than a picture of Jake in a low-cut body suit or Rojan diving off a bridge (which doesn't exactly seem in character for him, though the third book isn't out in the States yet, so you may surprise me).

Orbit does tend to have nice, professional looking covers compared even to other big five-connected SFF imprints. They seem to be way underrepresented on this site :)

What really blows my mind is how many large publishers have put out books with covers that literally hurt the eyes.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
True, and sometimes certain cover elements can be a trade off. You lose some readers and gain others.

I suspect the annoying to offensive portrayals of women on covers succeed, even with so many SFF fans being women these days, is because we're so used to that crap we mostly filter it out and buy in spite of it, while many men still respond positively to cleavage and diaphanous clothing.

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com

I can only speak of my own experience, but I do know that at Tor the art director is included in the various presentation meetings for books, and my editor always gives her the manuscript to read so she could get a feel for the story and setting and characters. From there, the art director chooses an artist and work out the cover design with input from the editor, the artist, and marketing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It does seem like there is a huge diversity in overall quality of covers, even from large houses. And some just don't portray the contents of the story accurately at all. A friend was just griping about a book he read where the protagonist had white hair, for instance, and the cover image showed her as a redhead. I'm wondering if this is because they used a stock image instead of making a custom cover for this book, or else the cover artist just didn't read the book and was not even given a character sketch to go on.

I suspect one reason the "dude or dudete in a cloak" motiff is so popular is that is hides distinguishing features and allows them to reuse stock images sometimes. And of course, they do avoid the issue that comes from portraying a detailed image of a character on the cover of a book. Even if the author likes the depiction, some readers might not.

Another thing that puzzles me is why they change covers so often with some bestselling books. I've seen copies of the books in ASoIaF series with lots of different covers, for instance, some of them quite plain. Now obviously, these books sell themselves at this point, so they probably don't worry so much about getting the cover just right. But I wonder why they keep changing the cover art for subsequent printings if the original ones moved the books just fine.

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like they went the whole 10 yards in the art/design process area. Those are very nice looking covers indeed.

I like how the images started out looking like the photographs they were and ended up looking like paintings by the final covers. It would have been really cool to see a little more of the digital photo/art/design editing process to see exactly how they achieved those looks.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, I like how they got it to look like a painting. Had a discussion with some other fantasy fans a while back, and with one exception, most of us dislike covers with photographs on them. Just doesn't feel like fantasy to many of us, I guess. Interesting how they used the photo to get the realistic look that was within the realm of physical possibility, but then gave it that more artistic look fantasy fans tend to prefer.

Still, these new techniques are bad news for people who actually like to paint things the old-fashioned way, I'd guess.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Not really. I trained in oils and acrylics, still use acrylics a lot, but these days at least 60% of my sketching and final work is done digitally with Painter, Photoshop, and Alien Skin Snap Art filters, working on two digital tablets with a stylus. It's just another tool, and far more versatile for me - reworking something is easy in layers!

What really irks me is the sheer number of e-pub art department staff who appear to have no painting or drawing training at all. It shows.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Great link! Thanks.

The entire process seems fairly generic, because it’s a logical progression. I suspect most cover-creation goes through it, though perhaps much quicker and in a somewhat different order in smaller companies.

It’s what I go through in my own process, though the results surely look less professional. (Though, with some of the absolutely worthless covers I see every time I go to the bookstore, I’m not sure “professional” equals quality at all. Whether you measure quality as “sells the book” or “is beautiful.”)

Status
Not open for further replies.