PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Digest 2nd Draft Critique Service: Yay or Nay?

railroad
11-16-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm looking to finalize my book once and for all and I'm wondering if anyone has used this service for a developmental edit. It's $3 a page which seems pretty pricy.

goddessofgliese
11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I would advise against it. Find a few good beta readers. After all, for $3 a page, you only get one person's opinion.

railroad
11-19-2013, 09:39 PM
My book has been beta'd to death. Just looking to put it to rest once and for all!

goddessofgliese
11-19-2013, 11:14 PM
My book has been beta'd to death. Just looking to put it to rest once and for all!

If your betas all think your book is ready, then most likely it is. (yeah, I know, we always feel our books aren't ready enough)Assuming they do but you still have certain doubts, I won't suggest using WD. $3 a page is pretty steep for an overall evaluation. (I've hired two published writers before who charged less than that for chapter-by-chapter critique.) They even require you to format your m/s to 1.25-inch margins on left and right sides, to make your m/s run on more pages. That's cheating, in my opinion.

Kerosene
11-19-2013, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't pay for a critiquing service unless I knew the person critiquing my work, knew that they were experienced in the genre and demographic, and knew they did good work.

railroad, you don't need a critiquing service. You don't need alpha, beta, or pre-readers of any kind to publish. If you want more opinions on your writing, drop by the SYW section here--you can post up a few chapters over a couple weeks and gain opinions and suggestions. After that, it's more on yourself to refine your story down. Critical beta readers can help you, and a critique buddy can really scrub at your work if you wish. Otherwise, a lot of writing is pushed onto the writer to judge and correct their own work--you can learn more on this if you spend time critiquing work in the SYW section.

Karen Junker
11-19-2013, 11:59 PM
My opinion is that your work is ready. I totally understand your hesitation, but I think that's just normal writerly nerves and not because you really need more opinions.

Do you have your query ready to go? It might be good to send one or two out and see what kind of response you get. If you aren't sure about your query letter, you can submit it here in Query Letter Hell section of the Share Your Work forum and get help with whipping that into shape.

Your book is awesome. Best wishes!

railroad
11-20-2013, 05:00 AM
Oh Karen, thanks that means a lot. :)