Making a Suicide Like Some Random Accident

infractuspennae

Registered
Reaction score
One of my primary characters commits suicide. He's a 56 year old healthy male with no history of mental illness. To him his reasons behind it are quite logical. But I don't want it to look like a suicide. It has to look like some type of accident, that will still allow for an open casket.

I have not dealt with too many suicides, OK I have not dealt with any. though I have dealt with attempts, and they have been drugs, too obvious.

I am not sure how to make this suicide look like an accident.

Thanks for the help, in advance!!!

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lot's of possibilities. Off the top of head:
Car crash. If he wants to make it less suspicious he picks a dark, rainy night.

If he's an outdoor type he could go rock climbing, or visit some scenic overlook, etc, and have an accidental fall.

He could "accidently" shoot himself while "cleaning his gun". (For more realism, hitting himself in the femoral artery and making it look like he tried to crawl in from the garage to get a phone to call for help would see it better.)

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
How weird are you willing to go. You want open casket? Methods that involve heavy physical injury are probably out. Car accident, dives off high places, they might induce too much damage. Maybe. Maybe not. Stepping in front of a vehicle might not result in a closed-casket scenario.

Hanging might work. Auto-erotic asphyxiation?

Something with a drug? The date-rape drug, rohypnol (sp?) is suppose to break down pretty quickly, and it can induce very high temperatures leading to death. But I don't know how that would look in an autopsy. They might not look for it.

CoolBlue

I'm not a child! Give back my toy!
Registered
Reaction score
Nowadays, there is very little that is not forensically detectable. So the only "safe" way would be to have an overt cause of death. And often death is not certain in such "accidents".

Last edited:

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's staging a suicide to look like an accident, and then there's the reverse.

According to Scotland Yard, the best way to commit suicide is to zip yourself into a sports bag, padlock the bag on the outside while you are inside, and while still inside clean off your fingerprints from the bag, the lock, and indeed the entire apartment, and also scrub your flat for DNA traces. Then you can safely die of suffocation and the police will overrule the coroner's verdict of homicide because, really, does that seem very likely in the circumstances?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Well, there's staging a suicide to look like an accident, and then there's the reverse.

According to Scotland Yard, the best way to commit suicide is to zip yourself into a sports bag, padlock the bag on the outside while you are inside, and while still inside clean off your fingerprints from the bag, the lock, and indeed the entire apartment, and also scrub your flat for DNA traces. Then you can safely die of suffocation and the police will overrule the coroner's verdict of homicide because, really, does that seem very likely in the circumstances?

That only works if you work for one of the British spy agencies.

GypsyKing

Mischief is an art
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Trebor that your best option might be to give your character a hobby that will allow him to fake a mishap. Rock climbing would be a good one. He could also go horseback riding and purposefully fail a difficult jump. Or he could be a triathlete and let himself drown.

He could also take a knock-out pill and leave the oven on. If his house starts on fire, he would technically die of asphyxiation, so an autopsy would reveal the carbon monoxide in his lungs. Would anyone suspect that he knocked himself out so that he'd purposefully die of smoke inhalation? If the fire was extinguished before his body was burned, it would still possibly allow for an open casket.

Last edited:

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Do keep in mind that the mental state of someone who commits suicide is not necessarily anywhere close to the mental state of someone who commits suicide which they premeditated and actively tried to cover up. If you make it sound like he was going to all this trouble to cover up his suicide "just because," i.e. the motivation is part of a mystery, the reader is going to assume it's sloppy writing.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Lot's of possibilities. Off the top of head:
Car crash. If he wants to make it less suspicious he picks a dark, rainy night.

If he's an outdoor type he could go rock climbing, or visit some scenic overlook, etc, and have an accidental fall.

He could "accidently" shoot himself while "cleaning his gun". (For more realism, hitting himself in the femoral artery and making it look like he tried to crawl in from the garage to get a phone to call for help would see it better.)

Any plausible reason for him to be using power tools? Any one of a variety of power-saws could chop an artery, and, as with Trebor's gun, a faked attempt to crawl to the nearest phone would look good.

Cold snap or power failure? He starts up a gas-powered generator in an badly ventilated room, the carbon monoxide gets him. Maybe it's in his basement? The carbon monoxide builds up, he goes down to check on it, never comes back up. Or at least that's what the investigation figures.