How to politely withdraw MS from consideration?

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
So yesterday I received an offer from an agent, which I'm planning to accept. We've had a couple of great conversations, and she's totally what I'm looking for in an agent partner. I still have another full out with an agent to whom I was referred.

He's a great agent and a super nice person, but I really felt a wonderful working connection and common vision with the agent who offered. It would likely be a waste of the second agent's time if I give him a week to counter offer.

So how does one politely word a withdrawal in this case? And is that appropriate, or do I need to give the customary week?

I've searched the forum and am not quite finding the answers. If there's a thread existing already, could someone point it out to me?

Thanks so much!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I assume x knows it was a multiple submission... Something like this?

Dear x,

Recently I sent you my manuscript, "The Atomic Gopher Affair". As you know, it was a simultaneous submission, and I have now accepted an offer of representation. Thank you very much for considering the book - I really appreciate your time.

Yours sincerely,

Quickbread

klewis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
onpopcornandmovies.blogspot.com
The general rule of thumb is to send an email to all agents who are considering your work, when you get an offer of representation and give them an alloted time to "counter offer" and then send out an email at said time and thank them for their consideration and that you have decided on a different agent- no explanation needed- but have heard agents get frustrated because they have taken their time to read and prepare material- and then get an email saying thanks, no thanks-

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
So yesterday I received an offer from an agent, which I'm planning to accept. We've had a couple of great conversations, and she's totally what I'm looking for in an agent partner. I still have another full out with an agent to whom I was referred.

He's a great agent and a super nice person, but I really felt a wonderful working connection and common vision with the agent who offered. It would likely be a waste of the second agent's time if I give him a week to counter offer.

So how does one politely word a withdrawal in this case? And is that appropriate, or do I need to give the customary week?

I've searched the forum and am not quite finding the answers. If there's a thread existing already, could someone point it out to me?

Thanks so much!

Since it's a referral, I would give the other agent a week to counter offer. Someone you know put their name on the line for you, and it's not only courtesy to your referent, it's smart business to allow for the other agent to counter off.

You may hit it off with the Agent B in a different, but also in a specular way, and he could be the better fit.

Things may not work out with Agent A, and Agent B may decide to take you on if things don't work out with agent A.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I have no experience with this situation, but I like escritoria's reasoning: you may as well keep that bridge, rather than burning it.

And congrats!

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, guys. It's helpful to hear and consider.

That said, I feel like it's the higher road to withdraw without offering a week because I'm totally 100% in love with this offering agent, and her writers have all said the most amazing things about her that I feel like I've hit the jackpot. And since it feels so right, I don't think he could do or say anything to change my mind.

So even if it might sting more at the onset, I feel like it would be more selfish of me to waste his time, especially since he's very busy with some big name clients and I have some connections to him.

GypsyKing

Mischief is an art
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I can add anything other than what's been said, but I definitely wanted to offer congratulations! You've done something many of us here are still hoping for.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, GypsyKing! I wish it was all cake from here on out for me, but alas, I have to now attempt to rewrite my novel with the agent's support, or abandon it entirely for the new one I'm working on.

It's an endless gravel road, ain't it? Keep the faith, keep going and keep writing.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, QBread. I sincerely hope everything works out for the best! Good luck to you. It's nice to have something like this to think about around the holidays.