Time to Wait to Hear on a Revision Request

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
3 months is pretty standard when you get a request for a full to wait on a reply from an agent. Is it the same 3 months if an agent asks for a R/R?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Are you asking how long until you give the agent the revision, or how long until the agent replies to the revision?

It takes you as long as it takes to write the R&R. You can give the agent an estimate but that'll depend on the requested changes and your own writing speed. I've done an R&R in three months but, fair warning, three months can go by very fast.

As for the time it takes for an agent to reply to an R&R... I don't like to throw around timescales but I'd say three months is definitely a safe point to nudge if they haven't responded.

Last edited:

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
I meant the time frame for the agent to reply. Since the agent has already expressed interest twice (in the initial full request and then for the requested revision), I wasn't sure if that reduced the expected wait time or if it were the same.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I meant the time frame for the agent to reply. Since the agent has already expressed interest twice (in the initial full request and then for the requested revision), I wasn't sure if that reduced the expected wait time or if it were the same.

It depends on too many unknown factors for anyone to say, such as: is it convention season? Do they have a big client release coming out? A new client manuscript to take on submission? Are they slower or faster to read new versions of work they've already read once before?

Don't expect them to be any faster, and don't be surprised if they're slower. If they do get back to you quickly then it'll be a pleasant surprise. :)

When I did an R&R they were slower but that's just one experience.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Took my agent 3 months to reply to the last rewrite of my current novel and I'm a client!