PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an officer in the Soviet Navy 1970s-1980s

LoneRider
11-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Just doing some research for some writing I'm doing. In the 1970s-1980s how did a young man in the Soviet Union become an officer in the Soviet Navy. I know that there was mass conscription, but how were officers selected?

My MC eventually winds up as an officer in the Russian Naval Spetsnaz as another plot point.

Trebor1415
11-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Google to the rescue.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tkGDkpkQh-sC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=how+were+soviet+naval+officers+selected&source=bl&ots=fuL8sYsttL&sig=CC6XzkKmLwdNdYnc-3oK9eXbsFs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=b0mFUrLtCeSQyAHHxoHIDw&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=how%20were%20soviet%20naval%20officers%20selecte d&f=false

Also, the wiki pages on the Russian military academies and Russian navy might be useful.

Btw, that whole book would probably be a good investment as it probably has lots of other stuff you don't even realize you need yet.

LoneRider
11-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Thanks. I'm trying to also picture some circumstances for how he winds up as an officer in the Naval Spetsnaz.

Trebor1415
11-15-2013, 03:12 AM
Probably the same sort of process a U.S. Naval Academy grad would have to be a SEAL officer.

He'd have the background of being in one of those elite, military prep high schools, and then gets into the Soviet Naval Academy, and at some point either volunteers or is pointed to the Spetnaz as someone sees something in him that makes that a good match.

He could have a instructor or family member or friend of the family who arranged it once he showed interst. The patronage system was big there for things like that.

That's all you really need, is just something that seems plausible, even if not 100 percent perfect. Who will know the difference anyway if there is some small detail you get wrong?

LoneRider
12-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Wonder what it the process was for becoming a nurse in the Soviet Navy in that timeframe? Would it be forbidden for my MC to date or 'fraternize' with a female nurse in the Soviet Navy's nurse corps?

Trebor1415
12-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Wonder what it the process was for becoming a nurse in the Soviet Navy in that timeframe? Would it be forbidden for my MC to date or 'fraternize' with a female nurse in the Soviet Navy's nurse corps?

No idea. My gut says it wouldn't be forbidden as a Nurse wouldn't be in his chain of command so there's no conflict of interest there. If she's "politically reliable" they realize that, hey, if we want our officers to marry and make new little Party members, we gotta let 'em mingle and date.

Now if she's serving on the same ship, under his command or something, that would be different.

LoneRider
12-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks. I've written that she works ont he same base, in Sevastopol, where he does, but they're not in the same chain of command. He's an officer with the Naval Spetsnaz unit of the Black Sea Fleet, so he's gone a lot and can't tell her anything about what he actually does other than his cover story of being the officer in charge of the diving school.

That's some neat conflict.