PDA

View Full Version : RUDOLPH? Already!!!

Lavern08
11-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Ok,

I was driving to work this morning, when lo and behold, there it was...

One of the houses on my regular, daily route decorated AND lit up with Christmas Lights!!! :crazy:

It's one thing that the retailers started putting Christmas decor up before Halloween, but DANG!

These folks are just asking for someone (who shall remain nameless) to egg their house, right? ;)

Maggie Maxwell
11-14-2013, 08:58 PM
I know multiple people who have already put up their Christmas trees or are planning on putting them up this weekend. C'mon, guys, I know it's not as fun as getting candy or presents, but give Thanksgiving a chance to shine!

Caitlin Black
11-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Mmm, there are already stores that have started putting up Christmas-y type decorations here. Like, tinselly stuff near the registers. And last week, I actually heard Christmas music in a store. Eek!

My favourite store remains immune, thus far. When I was in there yesterday, there were no decorations, and they were playing some rock music. :)

The good part is that a lot of stores are already starting their Christmas sales. There are quite a few items I've got my eyes on, if only I could afford them. But they're reduced by about 50% right now, so I'm thinking I'll have to scrape together the money for at least one of them.

jjdebenedictis
11-14-2013, 10:59 PM
I hear reindeer like eggs, Lavern. And Rudolph's got a long haul before Christmas; he probably needs the protein.

I have long felt tempted to put Christmas lights up only so I could spell the word "Humbug" in very large letters across the front of my house. Yes, I am a Grinch.

Hey, do they sell inflatable Krampus figures? 'Cause I could get festive enough to put a nice scary Krampus on the lawn.

jjdebenedictis
11-14-2013, 11:01 PM
And last week, I actually heard Christmas music in a store. Eek!Christmas music is the worst part of the consumer juggernaut the stores attempt to steamroll us with every year.

I've said it before; I'll say it again:
If Christmas music were all that great, we'd listen to it all year around.

We don't. There's a reason.

Caitlin Black
11-14-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm not so sure about your theoretical proof there...

People listen to Top 40 songs all year round, and most of those songs are terrible (in my opinion). :tongue

But I agree that Christmas music is awful. But shhhh, Lavern likes Christmas music. She's probably setting up her sniper rifle to take us out as we speak! Eek!

Lavern08
11-14-2013, 11:38 PM
...But I agree that Christmas music is awful.

*Locking and Loading* :poke:

Maggie Maxwell
11-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I like Christmas music... in small doses and after Thanksgiving. Just because it's getting cold out doesn't mean I am no longer interested in any music that doesn't involve snow, reindeer, and jolly old elves.

Lavern08
11-15-2013, 12:18 AM
... I am no longer interested in any music that doesn't involve jolly old elves.

Hmmm,

Since Santa is sometimes referred to as a "Jolly, old elf," does that mean that he was a jolly, young elf at one time?

Did he ascend the ranks of elfdom and ultimately become Santa, or is he just the oldest elf of them all?

Hmmmmm,

Sound like a short story, anyone? :Shrug:

Anyone?

Maggie Maxwell
11-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Hmmm,

Since Santa is sometimes referred to as a "Jolly, old elf," does that mean that he was a jolly, young elf at one time?

Did he ascend the ranks of elfdom and ultimately become Santa, or is he just the oldest elf of them all?

Hmmmmm,

Sound like a short story, anyone? :Shrug:

Anyone?

Much like Frosty, all of Santa's magic and his legendary visage is passed down through the Hat of Claus. He who possesses the hat holds the power of Santa, and every year, numerous elves fight to the death for the right to bear the Hat for only one year. They call them... the Kringle Games.

MaryMumsy
11-15-2013, 03:55 AM
I have long felt tempted to put Christmas lights up only so I could spell the word "Humbug" in very large letters across the front of my house. Yes, I am a Grinch.

Forty some odd years ago we were living in San Antonio. There was a subdivision near us that was noted for their Christmas displays. People came from all over town to drive through and see the lights. One house had nary a light. But next to the curb, with a light shining to illuminate it, was a black sign with white lettering. It said 'Scrooge lives here'.

MM

Ken
11-15-2013, 05:03 AM
... personally, Xmas decorations couldn't come too soon for me.
Begin with 'em in July and I will be delighted.
I love a festive atmosphere.
Then too there's that mistletoe for the romantics amongst us ;-)

Happy holiday cheers to all !

Vito
11-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Christmas music is the worst part of the consumer juggernaut the stores attempt to steamroll us with every year.

I've said it before; I'll say it again:
If Christmas music were all that great, we'd listen to it all year around.

We don't. There's a reason.

I love Christmas music, especially the songs about snow. "Sleigh Ride" totally slays me; "Winter Wonderland" is absolutely wonderful. It's probably because I've been in the snow only three times in my entire life, and on two of those occasions there wasn't even enough snow to cover the ground. Sort of disappointing, but hey...those little white snowflakes were actually falling from the sky! :e2woo:

Oh yeah, one more favorite song: "Let it snow, let it snow, let it..." You know the rest!

katci13
11-15-2013, 06:44 AM
I don't like Thanksgiving. They can put that crap out as early as they want. But this is coming from someone who was excited to find holiday wrapping paper at Hobby Lobby the first weekend in October. Thanksgiving is one day. I celebrate Christmas for a month.

As for Christmas music, I listen to the songs I like whenever I want. But there's a reason I'm done Christmas shopping by the middle of November. I hardly ever hear that annoying stuff. And the crowds? I don't know what people are talking about. ;)

Vito
11-15-2013, 06:55 AM
I celebrate Christmas for a month.

You should consider adding Hanukah to your winter holiday tradition. That way, you could celebrate for one month and an extra eight days. Or, in your case, an extra eight months!

Seriously, you might want to look into it. It would amount to nine whole months of partying per year! :partyguy:

Ken
11-15-2013, 03:41 PM
"Winter Wonderland"

... such a nice, peaceful song.
Sorta how the world would be if it was ideal.
Good vibes and cheer.
Not to complain any. World is a fine place overall.
Just need to appreciate it and one another more !

vagough
11-15-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm with you, TAMaxwell. I like the Christmas season, but would like it a lot more if things started the day after Thanksgiving. And yes, Thanksgiving is just one day, but the cooks in my family (daughter & moi) start planning the menu a couple of weeks in advance, which helps stretch things out a bit.

Snitchcat
11-15-2013, 05:25 PM
*puts on the Christmas music*

Lavern08
11-15-2013, 06:35 PM
*puts on the Christmas music*

*Hugs Snitchcat* :Hug2:

jjdebenedictis
11-15-2013, 07:05 PM
*puts on the Christmas music**beats on Snitchcat, wild-eyed, with spittle flying*

wilchris
11-15-2013, 07:14 PM
In Bangkok, the carols started and the and Christmas trees went up in the shopping malls about a week ago, actually a tad late this year!

Caitlin Black
11-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Mmm, I noticed some Christmas trees up for sale in a store right after Halloween. Personally, I don't mind Christmas trees, but that's only because I enjoy the gift-giving ritual. A tree is somewhere to stick the presents for a while. :tongue

I'd be fine with just a very small tree, as the presents I usually buy are smaller items. Like, books would be the largest.

Vito
11-16-2013, 02:19 AM
*beats on Snitchcat, wild-eyed, with spittle flying*

:scared:

ZachJPayne
11-16-2013, 02:59 AM
I've seen Christmas decor up before Halloween this year.

It just gets more and more outrageous each year. Oy vey!

Then again, I'm getting to the age where Christmas starts to feel more like an obligation and less fun ... though maybe that'll change this year, with me moving away from the family and all. One can hope!

GailD
11-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Yep. All the stores in Jo'burg have been full of Christmas decorations for the last month. For the first time, stores are selling the string lights (I'm sure that's not the right way to describe them) that are popular in the US - the kind that you drape around the outside of the house. I am wondering if that will catch on here.

Of course, it's hot here. So all the fake snow and reindeer and 'Winter Wonderland' songs might strike you as a little strange. Christmas dinner in 90F weather?

Watermelon, anyone? :D

Jersey Chick
11-16-2013, 03:58 AM
A friend of mine has her entire house decorated for Christmas, including the tree. I'm all :Wha: and :eek: about it.

As a rule, Christmas decorations don't go up until December 1st in my house.

Although my house needs the cheer this year (it's been a lousy one) so they may go up a few days early - but not before Thanksgiving. Never before Thanksgiving.

katci13
11-16-2013, 05:23 AM
A friend of mine has her entire house decorated for Christmas, including the tree. I'm all :Wha: and :eek: about it.

As a rule, Christmas decorations don't go up until December 1st in my house.

Although my house needs the cheer this year (it's been a lousy one) so they may go up a few days early - but not before Thanksgiving. Never before Thanksgiving.

I can't put decorations up before Thanksgiving either. I get sick of them. I put them up mid-November once and not only was I sick of them a month later, all the lights died and I refused to go out and get more. So I had a tree with no lights, and I was like, never ever again.

jjdebenedictis
11-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Last year, we had just moved into a new place at Christmas.

We took the box that had the tree in it and stacked it on top of the box that had the gifts in it. Cardboard is very festive.

Caitlin Black
11-16-2013, 05:55 AM
Woo! Cardboard!

Jersey Chick
11-16-2013, 06:03 AM
Nothing says Christmas like cardboard. :)