When do you market your first (ever) book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.M.Smith

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a good ways into the writing process (several drafts), and as I inch closer to the end, I can't help but ask: When do I start marketing?

Currently, I have no website, Facebook, Twitter, blog interviews - nothing. Should I start getting word out there now before it's actually completed, or should I wait until it's a finished project?

if I should start now, any thoughts on how much I might jump into it?

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need anymore information! :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Wait until it's finished.

If you want to find an agent and a trade publisher, wait until you have your contract and then speak to your agent and publisher to find out what they'd advise.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Since marketing is the process of selling completed goods, you can't really start until the book is completed. If you're planning to go for a trade contract, it will be the publisher who markets it, not you; publishers have the means to get books into bookshops, while authors mostly don't. If you're planning to self-publish, you can't market it until it's on sale.

You can start promoting in advance, but not by much. After all, if you get a bunch of people excited to buy your book, only to learn that it won't be released for months or even years, that's time wasted on your part.

A lot of your promotion responsibilities will depend on whether you're going for a trade contract or self-publishing. The answers to questions about promoting can be very different depending on how the book is being published (trade or self).

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
You can't promote the book until it's published. However, you can start building a fan base through Facebook or a blog.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
What would the fans in that fanbase be fans of, though, if the book isn't even finished?

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Great blog content will generate positive attention, even if it's on a small scale. Plus, it provides a foundation for future readers and fans when they discover a new writer. Plus, maintaining a blog before you get published is a great way to practice maintaining a blog after you get published.

Says the guy who struggles to regularly update his blog. I need more practice!

Deleted member 42

Start about four weeks before the release date. Stop heavy marketing about six weeks after.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even have a web presence until my publisher asked what web address they could put in the back of my first book. I ran over to Blogger and signed up.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, maybe "fans" isn't the right word. But you could start to generate buzz for the book before it's published.

Standback

Courteous Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
The answer to this depends a lot, IMHO, on what your project is, and what your short- and long-term marketing plan is. Different genres are marketed differently; self-publishing is very different than traditional publishing, etc.

I'd look in two directions. One is, could you write some short stories as a side project. Nothing advertises writing like more writing, and getting some short stories up for sale can start getting your name out, establishing credentials, pointing readers towards your upcoming work. Even very short pieces can be useful; hold 'em in reserve until you have somewhere useful to put them.

Secondly, you can start considering how you'd like to market and brand yourself. Basically, you want to ask yourself how you'd like people to view your book, and you as an author. Who will your readers be, and how will they find your book? Will they find it at an airport bookstand, or will they hear about it on indie science fiction review blogs, or will they find it when they're searching Amazon for a low-priced light read in their favorite genre? These all require different approaches, and different levels of visibility/presence of your author-persona.

If you expect your marketing to have a large online element, then you can start thinking about what that element will be. If you want to be, say, a wise and wisecracking author-figure, or if you want to share parts of your life and worldview and sense of humor with your readers in a personal blog, then that's the kind of content that's good to start well in advance. That way, when you're ready to promote, you've got an established blog, not an "under construction" page. But if that's not going to be your main direction, then putting a lot of effort into a blog or webpage now is likely to be unnecessary.

Whichever direction you choose, best of luck! :)

Last edited:

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Currently, I have no website, Facebook, Twitter, blog interviews - nothing. Should I start getting word out there now before it's actually completed, or should I wait until it's a finished project?

IMO you should start all these things now. Not necessarily to talk about your book, but to start making friends. If you wait until your book is published and then start all these with no friends how will that help? When you use social media it is very important to get involved, not just promote your book and then leave. To that piece you could start now.

There is also (as Standback said) a difference between trade publishing and self-publishing. With self-publishing you need to do a lot of stuff that a trade publisher would do for you, so self-publishers would start marketing sooner--but still not until the book is complete, unless it is non-fiction (another variable.)

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
What would the fans in that fanbase be fans of, though, if the book isn't even finished?

They would be fans of the blog and the writer. For non-fiction having a fan base of some sort--a platform--is essential. I also noticed that in the self-publishing diaries, fiction writers who have a fan base from their blog or fan-fiction etc do better so platform seems to help them too.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a good ways into the writing process (several drafts), and as I inch closer to the end, I can't help but ask: When do I start marketing?

if I should start now, any thoughts on how much I might jump into it?

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need anymore information! :)
Rather than "getting the word out" about an unfinished book I'd suggest joining social networks sites now, and just talking to other authors in your genre about the genre of fiction you write in, or if you write non fiction about health, or whatever the non fiction topic is. You can join some relevant Facebook groups etc... Then when you have a published book you'll have online contacts to promote to. A lot of writers promote to each other which obviously isn't ideal, but it's often the first easy step with social network book promotion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.