Critique Circle

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen many mentions of being there as well as here, but when it comes to who said it, I'm full-out "Duh..."

But they'll come along soon enough, when they see your subject line. We can hang out until then. Gum?

Maryn, lazy today

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I've been part of it in the past, but like Veinglory, now lurk.

GypsyKing

Mischief is an art
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on it, but nowadays I'm a lurker. It's actually a great set-up, and I think it's a terrific way to critique others, especially with the credit system. I just wish it were larger.

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the set-up, for the most part. I likes the folks there for the most part. The crittage on my stuff can be good to excellent.

I am totally *not* a fan of their requirement that every crit be graded by the author. Think that's a very bad idea. That said, it don't hurt me none. ::shrug:: just against it for old-fashioned reasons.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I like the set-up, for the most part. I likes the folks there for the most part. The crittage on my stuff can be good to excellent.

I am totally *not* a fan of their requirement that every crit be graded by the author. Think that's a very bad idea. That said, it don't hurt me none. ::shrug:: just against it for old-fashioned reasons.

I find it an annoyance more than anything else, but I guess it's good for weeding out any potential trolls, or people who just do half-assed crits for credits.

I've come across a couple of quite talented writers on there though.

Reactions: LucindaLynx

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Is it a good place to get novels critiqued? The way it's set up, it seems to work better for short stories.

I've seen some people do one chapter at a time. There's one WIP of mine where I'd put up two separate chapters but for the whole thing, I can't see needing more than one or two betas when it's ready (and I'm definitely going to need a beta for it) rather than putting up the whole thing like that. I critted one person's opening chapter and afterwards they PM'd me asking if I'd look at another one on there as well.

The thing I do like about it is that people critiquing can't see the other comments so there's less worry about any 'bandwagon' effect and when each person points something out, it's definitely something that needs fixing.

You also have the choice to read through all the critiques of a particular piece at once, or go through them one-by-one. If you're the author, I recommend doing the former first. Otherwise it can be a bit scary when you first open it.

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I actually just joined last week. Someone else mentioned it on this website and I finally just decided to take a bite. I'm excited to practice my critiquing skills. :) It looks like a great community.

Alienmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, the hungry freelancer, for creating this thread and to all the others who posted such helpful responses. I too have joined. I figured it was worth a shot.

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
I love Critique Circle. I've gotten some excellent advice and have learned a lot though critiquing other people's stuff as well.

Jason Boyd

Registered
Reaction score
I joined and did a handful of critiques. My first story open for critique will be activated tomorrow. Excited!

Nadezda

Registered
Reaction score
How did it go, Jason?

I've never submitted any of my own stories to CC, but I have written critiques. I enjoyed it. The community is friendly. :)

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been critting there for a few months; just posted my first story in this week's queue. I concur with the above poster who wished it was larger. The actual critique format and site are strong, and I've enjoyed offering feedback to others through the site.

I've peeked into their forums, but honestly... one awesome forum is enough in my life (yes, I mean AW!).

Go check it out. :)

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I've used it in the past and found it useful (and I'm in credit, so must have found giving crits straightforward enough!)

I found their hook feature very good, but not, I think, for inexperienced writers - too many cinflicting opinions that sometimes seem to skim read.

But i received some good, thoughtful crits there.