PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished the book. Time to start another.

TheHungryFreelancer
11-13-2013, 08:48 AM
I finally finished the book that I've been working on for months. It feels like a huge relief, but finishing a book for me is always a little sad, too. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to my best friends. Does that mean it's time to start a sequel?

Siri Kirpal
11-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats! Yes, I know the feeling about ending a book.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

SuperKate
11-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Congratulations! I think it's probably time for a nap, but maybe that's just how I felt.

Undercover
11-14-2013, 12:16 AM
I finally finished the book that I've been working on for months. It feels like a huge relief, but finishing a book for me is always a little sad, too. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to my best friends. Does that mean it's time to start a sequel?

Totally understand. I think that's why I'm taking my sweet ass time finishing my 6th. I don't want to feel bookless. haha. But seriously, I HATE that time between novels.

Yeah, give yourself a break for sure! Congrats on finishing!!! (submission/query process next? That's a whole nother venture!!!)

Good luck with it!!!!

JBClemmens
11-14-2013, 01:32 AM
Congratulations! Completing a book is bittersweet, true, but at least it's not writer's block, eh?

whatsupbuttercup
11-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Congratulations on finishing! Such a great accomplishment.

Canton
11-14-2013, 04:47 AM
Congratulations.

Does that mean it's time to start a sequel?

I don't know. How do you feel about writing something completely different? Exploring new territory.

benluby
11-14-2013, 05:11 PM

Congratulations. Junior's all grown up and ready to go off in the world...but...do you want grandchildren?
You have to, first off, take a breather, plant a fresh crop of wild thoughts and watch rambling ideas blow across the mental landscape. It's never really barren, after all.
Are you wanting to write a sequel because, well, the story really wasn't done, or is it empty nest syndrome, where you miss your children, and the fear of them wandering around in the fantastic world you created alone, with no one to play God and guide their every move just drives you batshit insane?
If you are wanting to write more on the characters/story because there is more to do to finish it, then crack your knuckles, start the coffee and slap them pixels on screen!!!
But...if you're doing it because you are all alone? Go find new imaginary friends and foes, explore more worlds. Or go bowling. That works too!!

Phaeal
11-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Time to start subbing the finished book while working on the second. Write a sequel if that's what burning in your mind. Otherwise, it's fine to strike out on a brand new path. Your affections will soon transfer to the new characters.

However, if you ARE thinking series starting with the first book, now is the time to write polished synopses/treatments of the second book, at least, and possibly the third. An agent can use these to convince editors you have strong enough ideas to merit a multi-book contract.

Chris P
11-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Congrats! If you've made it to "The End," you have made it farther than probably more than 90% of the people who start writing a novel.

Sequel or not, keep writing! I've got one book I'm querying to agents, another that is completed but needing another pass before looking for beta readers, and a NaNo project that's keeping me occupied while I let the second book incubate. This is a slow business, so I'm hoping to make my own luck by staying productive.

Bush_moon
12-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Congrats mate! It must be a relief, but, you are still on a roll!

BM

wampuscat
12-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Love the feeling of finishing a book. Congratulations!

NiniDist
12-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Congrats on finishing your book!
You should def get started on a sequel while the creative juices are flow ing. You'll know soon enough if its legs are strong enough to hold its own.
One bit of advice: I've been reading many reviews from readers of sequels that they wish the second book was a stand alone novel. There seems to be a trend of authors releasing sequel after sequel and the readers are exhausted! If you're going to do a sequel, see if its possible the book ca be read without having read book #1.

Chris_tine
12-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Congratulations!! Enjoy the great feeling of self pride as it is a great accomplisment. I do understand though, the sadness, your comparison with losing a best friend is quite spot on. I had the same need on writing a sequel righg after because it was a way of not letting go of the characters that I have come to know so well. However as some have pointed out maybe that sequel will turn out to be an stand alone, maybe your plot ideas will develop into something completely new. I do get that feeling with my on WIP sequel. Somehow I am now having second thoughts about the whole idea as I have taken some distance from my characters and don't feel as emotional as before about them.

Regardless of what happens, congrats again and keep writing!

RaggedEdge
12-29-2013, 10:59 AM
That's a great accomplishment, congrats! Maybe settle into reading a few great books between writing projects? Or experiment with something new in your writing as a way to transition. :)

Racey
12-31-2013, 06:31 AM
Congratulations! I know the feeling and it is wonderful.
Sequel? Maybe take a break, explore new territory, but if you have tons of ideas for book two then get them down, outline the sequel now so you don't forget anything!