Audiobooks - General discussion

epublishabook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.epublishabook.com
Hi,

The market for audiobooks is on the rise, yet I did not find a thread about that topic in general.

The following questions are the ones coming to my mind.

What are the respectives pros and cons of self-producing an audiobook vs. hiring a voice talent?

What would be a reasonable rate for a voice talent?

ACX (Audible/Amazon)offers the choice between a royalty share deal and a per-production rate. Which one is better and why?

Is it easier to promote an audiobook than it is to promote an ebook?

Are there specific distribution betworks for audiobooks and how does one access these?

What else should one think about when considering producing an audiobook?

With the hope that this thread will shed some light on the question of audiobook production and distribution.

epublishabook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.epublishabook.com
Dear Old Hack, I am involved in that start-up mainly as an active Beta user from the writer's side. Audiobooks are an entirely different topic totally unrelated to that start-up area of interest.
If there is a thread about audiobooks as a possible publishing outlet on AW, I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction as I would really like to read about other writers experience, advices, concerns etc.
Thank you for your help.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Old Hack, I am involved in that start-up mainly as an active Beta user from the writer's side.

I find it odd that someone who was only a beta-user would have written one of only three blog-posts for the site. And in the thread in our BR&BC room you wrote,

Ourboox is a start-up in closed Beta stage that will provide writers with a new, fun way to get books illustrated by readers.As a volunteer assisting the founding team, I have been invited to a few meetings.

I don't know of any other businesses which have invited their beta-users to their meetings.

Audiobooks are an entirely different topic totally unrelated to that start-up area of interest.

I wonder, then, if you're planning on writing an article about audiobooks for your blog. Because the shopping-list of questions you provided in your opening post here does suggest that you're hoping someone else will do all your research for you.

If there is a thread about audiobooks as a possible publishing outlet on AW, I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction

There are several, as you'd discover if you used the search function.

as I would really like to read about other writers experience, advices, concerns etc.
Thank you for your help.

Really? But only yesterday you wrote in your Ourboox thread,

experience from publishing industry is not relevant.

Either you're interested in our experience or you consider it "not relevant". You can't have it both ways.

Please forgive me for being so cynical. But as the majority of your posts at AW have been self-serving, I am deeply suspicious of your motives in starting this thread.