PDA

View Full Version : If your book isn't the current "fad" will it get passed up?

JHM123
11-11-2013, 07:39 AM
I ask this because I am writing a YA sci-fi and I've been told time and time again that contemporary realistic is what's in right now and YA SciFi is on its way out carrying the books riding the tails of The Hunger Games. I only plan to query agents that represent YA and SciFi, however when I specify my book as Ya SciFi in my query letter, will it just immediately get passed up or will she actually read my sample pages before deciding? I realize YA is a very unpredictable market, so what's popular changes with the seasons...

Medievalist
11-11-2013, 07:43 AM
No.

The truth of the matter is that books that you are buying now from trade publishers were submitted a year or two years ago, and likely, written a year before that.

If you see a "fad" in published books, it's likely already over.

Publishers buy good books that they think they can sell to enough readers to make some money.

That's the secret, right there.

Write a really good book.

Amadan
11-11-2013, 07:48 AM
I ask this because I am writing a YA sci-fi and I've been told time and time again that contemporary realistic is what's in right now and YA SciFi is on its way out carrying the books riding the tails of The Hunger Games. I only plan to query agents that represent YA and SciFi, however when I specify my book as Ya SciFi in my query letter, will it just immediately get passed up or will she actually read my sample pages before deciding? I realize YA is a very unpredictable market, so what's popular changes with the seasons...

Wow, first Hunger Games has killed the market for dystopian novels, and now it's killed all of YA SF!

Go to Barnes & Nobles.

Look at the YA shelves.

See all the YA SF books.

Also note that Ender's Game (not originally a YA novel) is there.

Stop listening to people who tell you your book won't sell because it's not catching the right trend.

Yeah, a teen vampire romance or a dystopian novel about a girl choosing between two hunks during a life-or-death struggle against an evil government might be a hard sell right now.

I would not worry about anyone dumb enough to make such broad statements as "YA SF is no longer selling" though.

Channy
11-11-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't think THG has killed SciFi so much as Dystopian, but Dystopian is a sub category of Scifi anyway (is or isn't, but this is neither here nor there). I think Scifi, depending on the context of your work, is still very sellable. Scifi has a very broad range (as fantasy does) in a way of being Hard, Soft, Light, and High. It might be Scifi in that you have a semi futuristic to your modern world, but people are working with translucent technology that isn'd tied to a monitor, but people aren't eating in pill form or flying hovercrafts in day to day life. Maybe you have space ships but people aren't living in colonies apart from a ruined earth.

mccardey
11-11-2013, 08:27 AM
I heard publishing was killed off years ago - which is good because reading is like a totally dying art.

ETA: I'm trying to use fewer emoticons, otherwise I'd put the sarcasm one here.

;)

ETA2: Damn!

LJ Hall
11-11-2013, 03:28 PM
By the time a fad is on the shelves the publishers have their next year or two worth of books scheduled for release.They might fast-track ones they already have that fit a trend that's suddenly taken off, but your changes of getting picked out of a slush pile because your story is close to one that's suddenly selling millions of copies...that's unlikely.

Don't write to trends. The trend will end before your book ever gets out.

My novel features vamps and werewolves. I didn't write it to fit any trend but the fact that I'm shopping it after the trend has ended means agents see the word 'vampire' and pass just like that. Totes frustrating. :)

Undercover
11-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Med's right. Books that are being accepted right now by publishers won't actually come out till 1 to 2 years from now, sometimes longer. The e-publishers will most likely publish you sooner though, but I still wouldn't worry about trends. If your book is interesting enough, it will catch interest back. It's like a boomerang, you just gotta throw it out there and hope it comes back to you in a good way. Sometimes I throw stuff out there and it never comes back at all...I think I'm throwing it wrong sometimes tho. lol

Taran
11-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Trends are so fleeting that it's best to ignore them. Write what interests you. If it seems the ship has sailed by the time you're ready to get your work published, just wait until the ship comes back to port again.

shaldna
11-12-2013, 12:29 AM
I don't have anything else to add that hasn't already been said above.

Debbie V
11-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Trends come back around. I'm actually hearing that SF is going to be next. One of the publishers just started a new YA SF/F imprint- found it in my notes, Simon and Schuster. The imprint will be headed by Joe Monti, formerly an agent with Barry Goldblatt (who loves SF), and will be for adults and children.

Write the book you need to write and worry about the rest later.