Your favorite "how to write book"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What books (or websites) have helped you with your writing, or any aspect of it, the most?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Last edited:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Sigh. I read Orson Scott Card's "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" when I was young and it was really good at the time and I still want to kick him in the shins and yell "Goddamnit, you were the person who taught me that it's okay to use coincidence to get my characters INTO trouble but not OUT of trouble."

*grumble*

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I second Chuck Wendig's stuff and How Not To Write A Novel. Both are awesome.

I also love Stephen King's "On Writing." It really helped demystify the craft for me and get me thinking "Hell I can do this!"

Justin SR

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I don't post much, but I had to mention a book that I don't think is noticed as much as it should be.

"Plot" by Ansen Dibell is by far my favorite writing book. I've looked at quite a few writing books over the years, but "Plot" and King's "On Writing" are the only ones I've ever read cover to cover.

I really think Dibell takes a different approach when she details what should and shouldn't be in your story, rather than how you as a writer get it there. It was one of the rare times where I would read something in a writing book and say to myself "That's what I did wrong last time!"

I make notes of some of the things she says that are most relevant to me, and I keep them close by while I write. I really can't suggest this one enough.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
A few of the ones already mentioned. (On Writing, Characters & Viewpoint). Plus, Wonderbook by Jeff VanderMeer, Several Short Sentences About Writing by Verlyn Klinkenborg, and Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. Oh, and How to Write a Dirty Story by Susie Bright.

In terms of websites, I really like Patricia C. Wrede's posts. She posts every Wednesday and Sunday and is coming out with a book soon consolidating some of her posts.

http://pcwrede.com/blog/

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
How Not To Write A Novel for me too - the only book about writing that I actually enjoyed reading as well as finding informative. I will keep reading it again and again for pure funsies :D

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Chuck Wendig's books and blog (Not safe for work or for those who dislike profanity)

Yes. This. Both.

I like James Scott Bell Plot and Structure. Covers everything from idea generation to revision.

Also, this.

And also this!

As well as: Story Engineering by Larry Brooks, and Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight V. Swain and The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing by Evan Marshall and The Snowflake Method For Designing A Novel by Randy Ingermanson (as well as his article Writing The Perfect Scene) and Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success by K. M. Weiland...

I could go for days. I have a long list of books that when I closed the covers, I came away with something.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Definitely THE SUMMING UP by W. Somerset Maugham.

This is a bit of an autobio...I see it as a past generation's On Writing (Stephen King). It's rich in advice. Just dries up a bit in the end, as he gets mired in philosophical blather.

By far my fav. http://kevintcraig.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/summingup/

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I second Chuck Wendig's stuff and How Not To Write A Novel. Both are awesome.

I also love Stephen King's "On Writing." It really helped demystify the craft for me and get me thinking "Hell I can do this!"

This. I've read a plethora of stuff out there, from fancy-mancy stuff to commercial "how to" works. And Chuck is awesome. So is King.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I despise Orson Scott Card's political viewpoint, but I have to say his book "Character and Viewpoint" is a brilliant and helpful exposition of an aspect of writing a lot of writers struggle with.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
*goes to look at GoodReads account because I'm awful with titles*

"A View From the Loft" by David Slager
"Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them" by Francine Prose
"The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters" by Marc Mucutcheon
"Bird By Bird" by Anne Lamott

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Thomas McCormack's The Fiction Editor, the Novel and the Novelist. I'd say this is for a writer who's been at it for a while, has mastered the usually covered basics, and wants to delve deeper into technique, especially as involves structure and character interaction.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Everything I've read about writing has helped. I think the more information you get and the more exposure to different views the better off you're going to be. I've never found a how to book where all of the advice worked for me, though I've found all sorts of helpful bits and pieces scattered here and there. My favorite book on writing, though, is Ray Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing" not so much used as a how to, but as a reminder of the joy of writing.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I like James Scott Bell Plot and Structure. Covers everything from idea generation to revision.

Jim's a longtime friend of mine, and over the years I've told him many times of the good feedback I've gotten from people about Plot and Structure. He never tires of hearing it. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.