I wonder if you all wouldn't answer a few questions for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm trying to do some research for an upcoming article and I wanted to get a variety of opinions about why you, average person, do or do not watch foreign films. I would very much appreciate it if you could take a couple mins and answer these questions for me (you can do so right in the thread) -- it's implicit that I may be publishing your answers. Also, if you like, could you tell me your first name, age and location. I'm actually most interested in location. Thanks so much!!

1. What deters you from watching foreign films?
2. What are your feelings on dubbing versus subtitling?
3. What kinds of foreign films are you most likely to watch? (action/horror, intellectual/art, comedy....)
4. What would most likely get you to see a foreign film? (a name director/actor? trailer or other marketing? word of mouth?)
5. Are you more likely to watch foreign films on DVD than in theaters? Why?
6. Who are a few of your favorite foreign film directors (preferably still living) if you have any...

Thank you in advance for your participation! I really appreciate it =)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Okay, I'm going to post as though I still lived in an area where such things were available. It's only been a couple of years, so it shouldn't impact your article:

The films selected by the theatres aren't to my taste, and the DVDs available aren't in classifications I would normally watch.

If the film interests me, either is fine. I have no preference.

3. What kinds of foreign films are you most likely to watch? (action/horror, intellectual/art, comedy....)

I prefer action/adventure and comedy.

4. What would most likely get you to see a foreign film? (a name director/actor? trailer or other marketing? word of mouth?)

Print advertising or a known quantity actor in a genre I prefer.

Either is fine, but it's more difficult to find films in the theatres.

6. Who are a few of your favorite foreign film directors (preferably still living) if you have any...

Not a clue. Sorry. I couldn't probably name five American directors! The director is meaningless to my like/dislike of individual movies.

Don't know if my answers are any help, but there you go. :)

(Name, etc. shown to left... age is 44. )

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I'll give this a shot although where I live (Missouri Ozarks) foreign films are as rare as hen's teeth (a fine Ozarkian expression).

I have enjoyed watching foreign films in the past - especially during my college years.

I prefer sub-titles to an overdub because - and this is a personal quirk - I don't like it when the actor's mouths are out of sync with the sound.

I don't have a particular genre of foreign film that I prefer -basically, it would be like any film (i.e. have to interest me).

What would get me interested to watch a foreign film - same thing, it would have to interest me in some way and I have ecclectic tastes so there's no telling.

I imagine I would be more likely to watch a foreign film on DVD because it would be much more readily available in my area.

I would have to stretch to name five directors of any kind.

BTW, I'm also 44.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. What deters you from watching foreign films? I like foreign films but some of the old B&W ones with white subtitles can be trying.

2. What are your feelings on dubbing versus subtitling? I much prefer subtitles; when they're dubbed I can't stop noticing that the lips and words aren't quite in sync.

3. What kinds of foreign films are you most likely to watch? (action/horror, intellectual/art, comedy....) Mystery, noir, general. I stay away from the newer action films, especially the martial arts ones that use "wire work" special effects.

4. What would most likely get you to see a foreign film? (a name director/actor? trailer or other marketing? word of mouth?) A known director, a great script, or an intriquing setting. Generally just some buzz that it's a better than average film, or that it has more than a stock Hollywood plot.

5. Are you more likely to watch foreign films on DVD than in theaters? Why? DVD. I watch almost all films on DVD these days.

6. Who are a few of your favorite foreign film directors (preferably still living) if you have any... Unfortunately, my favorites have passed away.

ac

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
zeprosnepsid said:
I'm prefacing all this with some general information to put things into context for you.

We're in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where even Hollywood movies are foreign films. :) Local films are all in Sinhalese or Tamil, neither of which I understand (much to the chagrin of everyone else I try to interact with her) and neither of which come either subtitled or dubbed. But since I'm from Canada, I don't actually think of Hollywood movies as foreign...

There's only one store in the entire country that we're aware of that sells legal copies of movies (Odel Department Store), they have perhaps a hundred titles in stock, and they cost about ten times as much (they sell at standard North American prices) as the pirated movies that are available everywhere else (DVDs - Rs.170-300, or US$1.70-3.00 about). Prices vary depending on where the movie's from - Hollywood movies are cheaper than Bollywood (Bombay, aka Mumbai, and in Hindi) and Mollywood (Madras, aka Chennai, in Tamil) and other foreign movies. We can get foreign films from just about everywhere in the world, and we've watched them. Taxi & Taxi 2 from France (far better and far far funnier than the Holllywood version with Queen Latifah), Thai movies with Tony Jaa (excellent trishaw chase scenes which are highly amusing), Hong Kong films with fantasy kung fu, Chinese and Japanese films, and the list goes on. The selection available to us for foreign films is far far far better than what I've ever seen in a major Blockbuster in Canada. My hubby already had a lot of foreign films when I arrived, but the selection has increased since I got here, so we've been really lucky. Oh, and he was addicted to them already, so I had no choice but to become exposed and addicted. :)

1. If it doesn't have subtitles or if it's not dubbed, I won't watch it. My husband doesn't feel the same way - even if it's in a language he doesn't understand, he'll still watch it if it's good. But then, this is also the man who learned Hindi and Tamil so he could understand the dialogue rather than having to read the subtitles. :)

2. It really depends. If the dubbing was a decent job, I'd probably prefer that, but my husband wouldn't because he understand something like 4 1/2 languages whereas I'm at 1, so he understands most of what we buy where I need the subtitles. So subtitles are fine. But sometimes, the subtitles are delayed by a half minute or so, or the subtitles aren't translated well and so miss a huge chunk of the joke or what's going on. Sometimes, the subtitles aren't even close to what's said, and occasionally (like one James Bond movie), the subtitles included actually belong to an entirely different movie altogether (really, can you see James Bond saying "Confucious say red roses are red are...")

3. Not a fair question for us. We watch more than a hundred movies a year, and we buy 30 + at a time, every other month. (No decent television programming.) We're both junkies, and we don't like watching the same thing all the time. We'll watch just about anything if it's half-decent, although I don't watch graphic or horror. Our preferred genres, however, are science fiction and Bollywood, even though Bollywood isn't a genre, but Bollywood movies tend to be very engrossing, more so than Hollywood movies.

4. We watch a lot of foreign films anyway. We actually do a rotation of 1 Hollywood, 1 Bollywood, 1 Hollywood, 1 Tamil, 1 Hollywood, 1 other foreign. (We're both OCD, so classification is high in our lifestyles. :D) So you can see that every other movie we watch is foreign. Big attractions can be the director or actors (like Tony Jaa, Amitabh Bachchan, Hritikh Roshan, Saif Ali Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Preity Zinta, Rani Mukerjee, Vijay Dutt, Ajay, Michelle Yeoh, and so on) or it can be recommended to us by the staff at the DVD store (after all the movies we've bought there, they have a pretty good idea what we like, plus it seems like they watch pretty much everything, so they tell us when something is particularly good, interesting, or not to bother with it.)

5. DVDs at home. We haven't been to a movie theatre since I arrived 2 1/2 years ago. We're both antisocial homebodies, the nearest theatre is a half hour away, and a DVD costs the same as one seat at the theatre. We have a home entertainment system, so pretty decent sound. Hubby's pushing for a bigger tv. :) We have no reason to go to a theatre.

6. Favorite foreign film directors would be something hubby would remember. I don't pay as much attention to director's names. Favorite foreign actors, now... That's easy for me to list. :D

Good luck with your article!

Laurie, 38, Colombo, Sri Lanka (formerly Canada)

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score

Not hearing about them

I much prefer subtitles, as I use hearing aids, and sometimes
dubbing makes it difficult to tell what the characters are saying,
in noisy scenes especially

3. What kinds of foreign films are you most likely to watch?
(action/horror, intellectual/art, comedy....)

historical, like Throne of Blood, Seven Samauri, Hidden Fortress,
Ran, Shogun ... or Life is Beautiful from a more recent time period

Two words - Toshiro Mufune

okay - also hearing about a film set in the medieval or
Renaissance period

5. Are you more likely to watch foreign films on DVD than in
theaters? Why?

DVD ... because my favourites don't show in theatres very often

6. Who are a few of your favorite foreign film directors
(preferably still living) if you have any...

I know he's gone (sniff, sniff) but the incomparable Akira Kurasawa

I'm 42, and from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Hope this helps,
Chac

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
Hi! Maybe my answers will help in some way--
1.& 2. I will not watch a ff that is dubbed because the mouth not matching distracts me. Also subtitles need to be large enough for me to read.
3. I am most likely to watch an art film.
4. I choose a film by word of mouth, or by its awards. I also watch the internet for interesting choices or trailers.
5. I am most likely to watch a DVD or video. I like going to the movies though because I love their popcorn.
6. I don't know directors.
Paint--babyboomer

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
I judge foreign films the same way I judge US films - if they are interesting or entertaining. I don't go for "artsy" films. It helps if I know the actors but isn't essential. I hate subtitles. How can you watch the action and read the bottom of the screen at the same time? And many times the lower part of the screen is a dark color and the subtitles don't show well.

I prefer watching movies on vidoetape at home because
A - I don't have to stand in line or wait for their scheduled start,
B - listen to the jerk next to me commenting on every scene,
C - worry about chewing gum or soda pop on the seat or floor, and
D - if I miss something I can run it back adnd watch it again. I can even put it on hold, go and pee, and come back and pick up where I left off.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com

I'm British so technically American films are foreign but I assume you mean foreign language... But nothing deters me. I enjoy them immensely.

Subtitles every time. I find a dubbed soundtrack annoying.

I guess what you'd call art-house, but the French make some cracking comedies.

Anything by Bertolucci would have me queueing. Or Pedro Almodavar. Vincent Cassel is a fine actor... too many to mention.

DVD or TV primarily because cinemas don't show them.

6. Who are a few of your favorite foreign film directors (preferably still living)

See above.

MarkN

Altogether Ookie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nutterwriter.wordpress.com
Caveat: I may or may not be average, but... :)

zeprosnepsid said:

I do watch foreign films. The ones I'm least likely to watch are those on subjects/themes I'd be unlikely to watch if they were American movies. Of course, I'm deterred by movies that are only available in PAL format or are otherwise unplayable in my VCR/DVD player, or if they have no audio/subtitling in a language I understand, obviously.

I prefer subtitles, actually.

I've watched quite a variety, but lately it seems I'm watching mostly anime (maybe that's my kids influence. Yeah, that's the ticket...it's my kids' fault :))

A good trailer, especially if it were downloadable over the Internet.

Yes: Netflix.

Hayao Miyazaki of course. Have to confess I'm not terribly familiar with many others (foreign or American, for that matter).

Jennafern

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennnixon.com
Jennifer, NJ age 31

The only thing that would deter me from watching a foreign film would be the plot and or content of the movie. If I don't like the story I probably won't watch it.

I don't watch dubbed movies unless I have to (usually due to the company at the time). I feel that watching movies with subtitles allows the viewer to get the correct emotional feeling of the characters. Usually with dubbing the voice actors don't quite get the character the same way.

3. What kinds of foreign films are you most likely to watch? (action/horror, intellectual/art, comedy....) I watch any type of foreign film that catches my interests. Most though, I'd say I watch Japanese anime.

4. What would most likely get you to see a foreign film? (a name director/actor? trailer or other marketing? word of mouth?) Most likely would be the story. If a actor or director were tied to it, that might also be an aspect, but like all movies (American made as well), it's the story not who is associated with it. (Unless it's a Harrison Ford movie)

I don't really go to the movie theater anymore because it's too damn expensive. 90% of the movies I watch are on DVD.

Don't have any favorite foreign or domestic directors.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com

Nothing, I love foreign films, and watch them all the time.

I love subtitles. It makes it easier to focus on the movie. Overdubbing is distracting.

Anthing that is a human interest story. Comedies are good. Not horrors or action, which I feel stink in any language.

An interesting description on the jacket.

I wish I had that option, but the closest movie theatre to me is 25 miles, and they play for the masses. I use Netflix for movies.

Don't know. I don't pay attention to those things. And for me to go look through my foreign films to find the names wouldn't be fair to directors I really liked better.

Pam - age 42, Mississippi

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
zeprosnepsid said:

1. Nothing much. I like watching foreign movies because they provide insights into other viewpoints and cultures. I'd prefer to have some means of understanding the movie (subtitles/dubbing) but if the movie is good enough, I'll forgo that requirement :p

2. I prefer dubbing since it's less intrusive. Plus, subtitling doesn't always get everything in because they have to be concise and allow the viewer enough time to read.

3. Anything that's interesting. Don't like long, static, dialogue-filled ones which are artsy or try to be preachy but if it has interesting characters and a good story, then I don't care about the genre.

4. Word of mouth (or the word on the Net) for sure. Directors and actors I like are also sure draws. For instance, I'll watch anything that Luc Besson is involved in. As far as Indian movies go, its mostly the actors - there are too many to list but sometimes a director like Mani Ratnam will ensure that I watch the movie. However, most of the time I judge a movie based on the description on the DVD cover :)

5. Definitely DVD's for any movie - not just foreign. Gives me more control over the movie watching experience. I can rewind to see bits that I might have missed, pause it if necessary and can also watch bits that I like over and over again any time I want.

6. Kurasowa, Mani Ratnam, Luc Besson, Prachya Pinkaew, John Woo, Takeshi Kitano

Fahim, 37, Sri Lanka

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much to everybody!!! I appreciate your help so much! I wish you good karma =)

Sorry I haven't thanked you earlier =)

But really, your answers are fascinating and I hope I can make a good article out of my research so far. Thanks again.

Enigma101

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
1) Reading subtitles.

2) I prefer dubbing, then I can watch the film and not read it.

3) Horror only

4) the popularity of the film.

5) TV. I'd never pay to see a foreign film.

6) No idea, I'm not a big fan

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
1. Nothing DETERS me--I love foreign movies--but what PREVENTS me is the limited selection and short theater runs in my area.
2. Subtitling all the way! I cannot stand dubbed movies--I'd rather not see the movie at all than see it dubbed.
3. Intellectual/art (but not boring ones--in particular a lot of Scandinavian movies just put me to sleep); comedy; history (yes, I'm adding a genre--I'm thinking of movies like Danton [French/Polish] or the various Chinese movies about the cultural revolution); and action (e.g., La Femme Nikita), in that order. However, the nationality/language matters more to me than the genre.
4. Name director/actor/screenwriter; word of mouth/great reviews; maybe trailers would work but you rarely see them, so...
5. More likely to watch DVDs simply because the selection is better.
6. Jean-Claude Jeunet; Zhang Yimou; Juzo Itami; Laurence Ferreira Barbosa; Patrice Leconte

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that deters me from watching a foreign film is the same thing that deters me from watching any film -- lack of interest in the subject matter.

Dubbing is evil. It's subtitling or nothing as far as I'm concerned. Like others have mentioned, I can't stand watching a film where the words don't match the mouth movements. Also it seems that many times no care whatsoever is taken to match the dubbing actor's voice to the original actor's voice. It's disconcerting to have a voice that just doesn't seem to fit the person speaking. Give me nice, easily readable subtitles any day.

Comedy, drama, possibly action, horror on rare occasions, documentary. Spare me the "intellectual" films. That's just another name for "pretentious."

Trailers and word of mouth.

Either one, really. I prefer to see films in theaters, but DVDs are awfully handy.

No particular favorites. I don't care who directed the film and have only a vague interest in who's in it. As long as the casting is good, I don't care if the actor is a big star or a complete unknown. Same with directing.

And my name is Jo, I'm 44, located in Southern California.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it's availability & sometimes it's subject matter & interest (which is a deterent for non-foreign films).
For live action movies I prefer subtitling hands down. For animated, dubbing has grown on me, because I can multi-task while watching. In anime, dubbers have gotten much better since it became super-popular in America. Since the mouths are animated, the difference in pronunciation between what they said in Japanese & are saying in English isn't as noticeable. However, I like subtitles because somethings that require explanation (lost in translation) are occasionally explained instead of skipped over (or left as is w/ no explanation to the non-Japanese viewer). Subtitles are much more likely to preserve the original meaning, however, sometimes they're just the dubbing transcript.
If it wasn't obvious by now, I mostly watch anime, more in the fantasy or sci-fi genre, also some romance
There are so many different reasons. For non-anime, it'll probably be word of mouth. For anime, it might be an advertisement that caught my eye, word of mouth, a clip I saw somewhere.
DVD. There are too many things I want to see in the theaters already.
Umm, the only name I know is Hayao Miazaki.

I'm 25 & am in Columbus, Ohio.

Former-Stripper

My $.02 American

zeprosnepsid said:
Hey all, I'm trying to do some research for [SNIP] could you tell me your first name, age and location. I'm actually most interested in location. Thanks so much!!

1st name is Richard, age 45, location, just South of Virginia.

No theater in area to find it, no video shop or local library carries the video.

If the Dub was supervised by the Director or Writer, then I'm OK with dubbing.
Otherwise, subtitles. (when I watch the DVD, I usually watch the Dub 1st, the subtitles 2nd to see what's different. Anime is -very- different sometimes)

Science Fiction is my 1st passion, followed by fantasy, action, horror, then art, intelectual, smut, then comedy. Comedy is the one that requires the hardest work for anyone to pull off cross-language, and so I usually don't bother. Smut is one of those that crosses language barriers w/o much effort but isn't really all that dialog driven is the 1st place...

WOM is the best for finding the obscure gems. If I'm activly searching, I try to find directors who I've liked, then look for other project they've done (Ghu bless the IMDB for all it's wisdom!) Once I fire up the other projects, I le tthe trailers on those take me afield

DVD, because I can at least order it from somewhere. if I try to wait for any theater in my neck of the woods gets it, I'd never see anything that wasn't Disney-esque.

On the side of the angels:
Hayao Miyazaki and any other Studio Ghibli production. Lots of heart, lots of soul.

On the side of the devil:
Hideki Takayama ( any of the Urotsukidôji flicks) lots of hearts, livers, brains, intestines, viscera, and blood, with lots of lost & damned souls.....

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Films

I'd have to drive nearly 100 miles to watch one in a theater.

Hate dubbing. I can read, so show me the subtitles.

Action/intellectual/art. Not necessarily in that order.

Word of mouth.

DVD. See the first answer. I'm a hundred miles from a theater that shows foreign films, and their selection is very limited.

Don't really have any. I seldom pay attention to who the director is, even with domestic movies. Eeither the film looks interesting or it doesn't.

Thank you in advance for your participation! I really appreciate it =)[/QUOTE]

Simran

Judi - USA

Someone else mentioned this but definitely the old B&W ones with white subtitles.

I would rather read the subtitles as I think dubbing takes away from the fluidness of the film.

Drama, love stories and comedy

An actor or director that I'm familiar with usually does it for me but I'm open to suggestions.

Yes, because they're aren't any Bollywood theaters next to where I live. And it makes it touch to read the subtitles sometimes with people in your way.

Yash Chopra, Karan Johar, Sanjay Leela Bhansali

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
triceretops said:
Doesn't anyone remember Sergio Leoni with all the Clint Eastwood Italian westerns? The Good the Bad and the Ugly. A fistful of Dollars. For a Few Dollars More. Hang Em High.

Of course I do :) Some of my earliest memories are of Clint Eastwood in various guises as the man with no name :p I think I first came across him in some Sri Lankan comics and got to the Sergio Leone stuff only later but I still love those movies!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Doesn't anyone remember Sergio Leoni with all the Clint Eastwood Italian westerns? The Good the Bad and the Ugly. A fistful of Dollars. For a Few Dollars More. Hang Em High.

Tri

I watch them pretty much every year, it seems. Not really considered foreign films, but still good ones. They were shot in Italy, but they were paid for by Hollywood.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I watch lots of anime, does anime count as foreign films? I watch non-animated foreign films too, but not as much.

Foreign films tend to be confusing and depressing, in particular they rarely have truly happy endings. Also, they are filed in their own section in the video rental store, not by genre.

I prefer subtitling because dubbing usually uses voice acting of lesser quality than the original. For films where I have studied the foreign language a little I also like to try to recognize the words as they are spoken - I love films or opening/closing songs to films which have closed-captioning in the original language as well as English subtitling. But I have no objection to watching dubbed films if the voice acting is good.

Comedy, usually with an intellectual twist, gay/bi romance/erotica, science fiction/fantasy

A trailer or seeing it in my local video rental store with a good box art and a good summary of the film on the back. Word of mouth recommendations are useless if you can't find a copy of the film.

I'm more likely to watch any film on DVD than in theaters because theaters are expensive.

Hmm. Well I liked Roberto Benigni's _Life Is Beautiful_... With anime it's the manga-ka (artist) who is important, not the director. But generally I judge each film on whether its description is appealing, not what names are associated with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.