PDA

View Full Version : A question about comic books...

Perks
11-08-2013, 08:58 PM
I have a tickle in my brain... it seems to me that I once heard a slang term for "comic book" and I can't recall it.

You know how there's the old time slang for records - hot wax, platters, things like that. It feels like it was a corny cousin to that sort of thing.

So, any slang term for comic books that you know of?

Russell Secord
11-09-2013, 01:38 AM
The only other term I've heard for "comic book" is "funny book," often used in a derogatory sense. "Why do you waste your time reading those funny books?" Pop would say.

Drachen Jager
11-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Are you thinking of a graphic novel? They are similar, but not the same thing as comic books. Graphic novels generally run in the hundreds of pages (as compared to a dozen or so for a comic) and have deeper plots, more developed characters etc. (ie. they're more like a novel).

Penny dreadfuls evolved into comic books, so there's some crossover there.

Can't think of any other terms off hand.

Perks
11-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Hmmm, no. I'm not thinking of graphic novels. I might be misremembering what context I'm reaching for anyway. I figured if there was a silly slang term for comic books, my best chance of running across it again (assuming I've ever done) would be here.

Thanks for thinking on it for me!

Sharii
11-09-2013, 03:40 AM
floppies? maybe? Referring to the thin (20-30 pages) single issue?

Trebor1415
11-09-2013, 04:13 AM
I've been a reader and collector for 35 years. I've only ever heard them called "comics" or "comic books" or, very rarely, "funny books." ("Graphic Novels" is a more modern term).

I can't think of any slang for comics like "Wax" for records or "rags" for clothes or "lids" for hats. Absolutely nothing comes to mind.

Perks
11-09-2013, 04:35 AM
You guys are wonderful for trying. Thank you! I'm probably just muddling a remembered conversation.

I appreciate it.

wendymarlowe
11-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Pretty sure the slang for "comic books" is just "comics."

Although this may be relevant to your interests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DExFBTr6l8Q