• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Readers for YA Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHM123

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for one or two readers to beta my 127k word MS "Divide."
Here's the blurb:
"Sixteen-year-old Merit Overseer is only sure of one thing in his life: that he will not live another year. In his country of Control, the age of sixteen brings a test along with it called The Division; a test that determines which people are worthy of being citizens. After the Collapse destroyed the rest of the world, the few survivors realized that the downfall of the planet was the fault of its own citizens, and The Division was created. The rules of the test are simple: pass, and you can continue life as a citizen. Fail, and you are executed.
For Merit, death is the only option he sees.
As Merit learns exactly what The Division is, he must survive all of the torture that accompanies it – physical and mental. And his fellow pledges yearning for his death. New friends slowly morph into enemies, and enemies into something even darker as The Division progresses, leaving Merit to fight for his humanity and sanity. As the pledges began to lose who they are, and some of their true characters are revealed, Merit must learn the true nature of fear, trust, and death to survive. But Merit is suspicious. Suspicious that something is going on behind the curtain of his country that will soon be brought to light – but when it does, he has no idea of the consequences that will arise. Merit must choose to fight for who he is and die, or change into what his country wants him to be and live. But maybe neither option is the way to survive. After all, being average has consequences."

I would really appreciate if you read YA regularly.
I have had two beta readers already, and have consequently gone through two more rounds of edits so its a lot smoother than it was before, and is completely finished. If you are interested you can just reply to this post, message me, or, the best way, email me at [email protected]
Thanks a lot!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of a whole new collection of flak, please allow me to both welcome you and to direct your attention here.

Bottom line: If you become part of our community ("our" including you, BTW), then you probably can get betas with ease. But it's a lot to ask of strangers.

Now, you may get offers anyway, and that's great. But the reason you had to inquire if you had any takers is not that your premise doesn't sound good, it's that we don't know you yet.

So sit down, put up your feet, and get to talking. You'll make friends quick enough.

Maryn, who did (despite being very shy)

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. :welcome:

It sounds like you have an interesting, polished story, but that may not be enough.

I can't speak for everyone, given I haven't been here long, but so far I've gotten the impression that most betas aren't willing to help someone (1) they don't know, (2) hasn't posted an excerpt for critique on the appropriate Share Your Work board, and (3) hasn't offered critique to others in the community on the Share Your Work boards.

I was pointed here by an author kind enough to look over my first couple chapters for me; I came by with the expectation that I'd look for beta readers and then leave. I quickly realized that my plan wasn't going to work, because beta reading is time-consuming, often difficult and demanding, and few people are willing to do it for stranger.

Critique others on your genre's SYW board. Once you make it to fifty posts, you'll be able to post samples of your own work for critique. Doing these things will help you find a beta that fits you. :D

EDIT: whoops, took too long to type this. Beaten to the punch.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But it's ever so nice to let someone else take a turn beating the drum. Thanks for expressing it so well.

Maryn, wondering if there's any more coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.