Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
There isn't very much information in that article about what exactly is going on. Based on what I know, it doesn't seem to me like this'll be a threat to traditional publishing or a publishing revolution; it seems like the library is acting as a small press (and maybe a POD, depending on the details of the transactions) with a very localized focus. The books are only available in those libraries, correct? I don't see the appeal of using this method for an author who wants a national or global reach.

Also, what publishing credits does this guy have? Who is handling the cover design, typesetting, etc.?

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Those were the same objections and questions I had when my husband sent me the story -- and I don't know the answers. It sounds like he's trying to build a network that would give them wider distribution. Still, I can't figure out exactly where they would be selling the books. I mean, why would I go to there to buy books when I can go to Amazon? The only perk I see is that authors get their books in that library network.

Also, in the story, he said that authors "would get 90% rather than the 10% they normally get." Nope. He's comparing his offer with trade publishing, NOT self publishing. A self published author could get 70% from Amazon. That would be a much more accurate comparison.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed before. My husband just sent me this link. It's a public radio story about a library system in Colorado who wants to start publishing books in order to bypass the expensive ebooks from trade publishers.

http://www.cpr.org/article/Matter_of_Survival_Douglas_County_Libraries_Become_Publishers
So, he would be publishing e-books that no actual publisher wants? Possibly not high-demand items, then? Because why would a writer go with a 'publisher' that is only going to take a handful of copies for a few libraries, if they have any other option?
The point isn't that e-books from trade publishers are expensive, it's that people want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.