PDA

View Full Version : Library as publisher?

rainsmom
11-08-2013, 02:50 AM
Not sure if this has been discussed before. My husband just sent me this link. It's a public radio story about a library system in Colorado who wants to start publishing books in order to bypass the expensive ebooks from trade publishers.

http://www.cpr.org/article/Matter_of_Survival_Douglas_County_Libraries_Become _Publishers

Kayley
11-08-2013, 05:26 AM
There isn't very much information in that article about what exactly is going on. Based on what I know, it doesn't seem to me like this'll be a threat to traditional publishing or a publishing revolution; it seems like the library is acting as a small press (and maybe a POD, depending on the details of the transactions) with a very localized focus. The books are only available in those libraries, correct? I don't see the appeal of using this method for an author who wants a national or global reach.

Also, what publishing credits does this guy have? Who is handling the cover design, typesetting, etc.?

rainsmom
11-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Those were the same objections and questions I had when my husband sent me the story -- and I don't know the answers. It sounds like he's trying to build a network that would give them wider distribution. Still, I can't figure out exactly where they would be selling the books. I mean, why would I go to there to buy books when I can go to Amazon? The only perk I see is that authors get their books in that library network.

Also, in the story, he said that authors "would get 90% rather than the 10% they normally get." Nope. He's comparing his offer with trade publishing, NOT self publishing. A self published author could get 70% from Amazon. That would be a much more accurate comparison.

frimble3
11-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed before. My husband just sent me this link. It's a public radio story about a library system in Colorado who wants to start publishing books in order to bypass the expensive ebooks from trade publishers.

http://www.cpr.org/article/Matter_of_Survival_Douglas_County_Libraries_Become _Publishers
So, he would be publishing e-books that no actual publisher wants? Possibly not high-demand items, then? Because why would a writer go with a 'publisher' that is only going to take a handful of copies for a few libraries, if they have any other option?
The point isn't that e-books from trade publishers are expensive, it's that people want them.