PDA

View Full Version : Critique Experts

Adri1497
11-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Hi everyone, I don't usually post on here but I find myself in need of some help.

I submitted my novella to a publishing house and got rejected. They suggested I find an experienced Critique expert to help with a few issues they found with the story. I was wondering if anyone could direct me in the best ones to use or where I can find some. I need one that isn't too expensive.

I do plan to resubmit the story after the changes are made.

Thank you for any help you all can give me.

Abee

Cella
11-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Well, one option is to take your time around here, get to know the AW community a bit. Once you've reached 50 meaningful posts, you're allowed to post a sampling of your work to be critiqued by AWers in the SYW (share your work) forums... Lots of knowledgeable folks take the time to help out where they can.

You can ask for a beta at any time, but many people will be more likely to jump in once they've gotten to know you and seen you around the board.

Good luck with your work and hope to see you around!
:)

Adri1497
11-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the advise Cella. I am not very good with this forum stuff so I am learning to use it. Hopefully I can get it down enough to get to know more people.

Fruitbat
11-08-2013, 10:44 AM
It's up to you of course, but I would recommend paying an editor/critique more for someone who is not interested in becoming a more proficient writer. Say, someone who just wants their memoirs done and their personal story is their intersest, not their writing. Or maybe someone who needs more help because they are not a native speaker.

But if your goal is to be a writer, then you need to work on your craft. Critiquing for others is imo one of the best way to improve your writing, and better to give and receive critiques than pay for it.

Also imo, thorough beta readers are hard to come by. It is quite a lot of time and expected to be pretty much just a final polish. I would also not expect writing that has had no eyes on it but the writers to be in "almost polished" shape.

If I were you, I would start posting a chapter at a time on SYW, and critique for others there in return. Then you'd have to learn to sort through and evaluate critiques received, which is another set of skills, again, learning your craft. JMHO and good luck.

Adri1497
11-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for replying Fruitbat... Um... what is SYW? I would love to critique for others, but I am afraid I dont know what to look for... I feel completely lost in all of this.

Fruitbat
11-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for replying Fruitbat... Um... what is SYW? I would love to critique for others, but I am afraid I dont know what to look for... I feel completely lost in all of this.

It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but congrats on finishing a draft of a novella. That is quite the start.

SYW is "Share Your Work," where you post work for critique and also critique for others (imo, one of the very best ways to learn the craft). You have to have 50 posts first, and then you can find that section and the sub-section your novella fits under, and post chapters. In the meantime, maybe you'd want to critique a few yourself to get some of your required 50 posts.