PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Standard

Peter J Story
11-07-2013, 09:57 PM
So my goal in signing up for forums is to connect with other writers, pick up tips, etc. Fairly standard. I've signed up for several forums to do this, but am finding that it isn't easy to be active on any one in particular due to trying to keep up with all of them. Does anyone else run into this, or am I the only one that attempts it? I'm wondering if I should drop some or if anyone else has any tips for how they keep up with all of them.

Medievalist
11-08-2013, 02:12 AM
I'm going to move this to Roundtable, where you'll likely get more responses.

Williebee
11-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Forums, like every other marketing or writing tool, vary. You find the one that fits your needs and roll with it as long as it fits your needs.

You want tough love, craft, challenges and a side order of silliness, you're in the right place.

Kylabelle
11-08-2013, 03:34 AM
Hmm. I don't think I've ever belonged to multiple forums at the same time. Can't recall that I have. I tend to stick with one until it stops feeling a fit.

This place, I never even try to keep up in any general sense. There is just too much going on. There are whole sections I have never spent any time in at all. I chose a few threads and sections and sort of hung out there and then expanded (or moved on) from there as I found the inclination to.

But I find it hard to imagine there is another writers forum in existence that offers much to compete with AW. Perhaps there are some with a much narrower focus that therefore have more, I dunno, depth or detail available? (Clearly I have not explored writers forums all that thoroughly.)

Anyway, in answer to the question, I don't attempt multiple forums memberships in any active way.

Siri Kirpal
11-08-2013, 04:02 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm with Kylabelle. This one is plenty. I've considered others, but they've tended to fall apart before I could get on board.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

triceretops
11-08-2013, 04:06 AM
I'm with multiple groups but the majority of my time and interaction is spent here. It's too difficult to keep up with all the other posts and threads, not to mention like and friend requests. I do try to get my blog listed on other sites and have had some success with that, particularly feedback and gaining a nice reading population.

tri

Ken
11-08-2013, 03:33 PM
... depends on your level of participation in part.
If you start threads and then abandon them and leave contributors in the lurch
and never come back and follow up to the replies that is most certainly not okay.
In that case you should quit some of the forums and focus on one or two at most.
If the above scenario is not the case then no worries. If it works for you to get info
here and there then so be it. That may even give you a broader perspective.
I only belong to this one myself. G'luck.

Phaeal
11-08-2013, 06:36 PM
AW and Twitter are plenty for me. I'll eventually get on Facebook, I suppose, because I understand that anyone not on FB by Jan 1, 2015, will be deleted from the cosmos and cease to exist.

Quality over quantity. Except when under the threat of cosmic annihilation because, yeah, that sucks for sales.

Barbara R.
11-08-2013, 06:49 PM
You can't participate in all of them or there'd be no time left to, well, write. Many of the forums I've visited are worthless, anyway; it's the blind leading the blind. I recommend picking just one or two that are valuable for you and dropping the others. AW is unique, in that it's huge and super active, and there are enough professionals on the forum that the nonsense does not prevail. I also like the oldest writers' forum around, the smaller, friendlier Compuserve's Book and Author forum. Part of it has been taken over by fans of Diana Gabaldon who (like me) is a section leader on that forum, but the part devoted to craft and the business of publishing is first rate. I think one criteria is that you have published writers along with aspiring ones, to keep things real.

Rhoda Nightingale
11-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I used to be a forum junkie. I think I've been on a total of *thinks* seven? Eight? Several of them simultaneously. Not all writing forums though. This one has undoubtedly been the most useful. I'm still on two others, but they're for fandom purposes--not actually gleaning skills and sharing opinions on the craft.

This is an awesome place--stick around. :)

Scribhneoir
11-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Many of the forums I've visited are worthless, anyway; it's the blind leading the blind. ... AW is unique, in that it's huge and super active, and there are enough professionals on the forum that the nonsense does not prevail.

This.

When I first started looking for a writer's forum, I lurked on a number of them to see what they were like. AW stood out for its sheer professionalism, so it's the one I joined. I've never felt the need to join any others. As Barbara R. says, nonsense does not prevail here and that makes AW a fine and useful place to spend my time.

Russell Secord
11-09-2013, 12:22 AM
I would tell you to participate in as many forums as you can, but with some caveats. Don't belong to so many that you don't have time to contribute meaningfully to them. Don't belong to a forum if you don't feel respected--other members can disagree with you and still respect you. Don't waste time on a forum if you're not learning things (or teaching things), unless you enjoy hanging out with those people.

I've belonged to more fora than I can count, writing and otherwise. If a time comes when you feel like you're putting more into it than you're getting out, or if you only visit because you feel obligated, it's time to move on.

Shadow_Ferret
11-09-2013, 12:36 AM
There are other forums?

Anna Spargo-Ryan
11-09-2013, 02:30 AM
There are other forums?

This :D AW is by far the most helpful, supportive, constructive and knowledgeable forum in which I've had the pleasure to participate.

merrihiatt
11-09-2013, 02:50 AM
I've been involved with several, but AW is the best and most balanced by far. I also started in one section and branched out over time. A day doesn't go by that I don't visit, learn and try to give back.

Gravity
11-09-2013, 03:01 AM
I've been a member of AW for donkey's years, and love the joint. What's especially nice is there's something for everyone, newbie or vet.

Or to paraphrase Buckaroo Banzai, "No matter where you go [on AW], there you are." :D

slhuang
11-09-2013, 05:45 AM
When I first started to seek out writers' forums, I researched and read posts from a whole mess of them and narrowed the list down to three or four that I thought looked like active and helpful communities. I joined those.

By a few weeks later, my participation on all the rest had dropped off in favor of posting more on Absolute Write. Make of that what you will. :D

bearilou
11-09-2013, 04:00 PM
My first experience with writers forums was AW. Shamefully, on occasion I have ventured out to touch at a few other places but they just didn't do it for me like AW does. I always come home.

The family at AW spoils me so now I don't go out anymore.

Peter J Story
11-14-2013, 12:49 AM
So I'm curious. What's Orcotica?

kaitie
11-14-2013, 02:10 AM
Sexy whale sex?

jaksen
11-14-2013, 07:53 PM
I only write on one, and that's this one, AW.

You will find almost any writing topic you want to discuss, dissect, talk about, etc., and if you can't find it, you can start a thread on it. You'll find the moderators strict yet willing to bend, but the golden rule is always, 'respect the other writer.' You will also find any problem you might have (personally) is addressed promptly, fairly and intelligently. Respect goes both ways.

If that's what you want, this is the place. AW is packed with new writers, old writers, veteran writers and writers who write sheerly for their own enjoyment. You can latch onto a silly thread, a tres serious thread, or those which are in between and there is no better site for checking up on a publisher for which you want information or just the name of their website. There is a SYW page which is password protected, which I know many other sites do not have.

I'm trying to think of a negative or two. Coming up with zilch.

Welcome!

CrastersBabies
11-14-2013, 08:11 PM
I've been to a few other writing forums, but kind of settled down here. It just has more of what I need than anywhere else. And I'm not under any impression that I need to visit forums every day, post every day. I do try to come here every day and at least read a few spots.

Other boards? I might visit once a week, read the new posts, then move on.

Rhoda Nightingale
11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
So I'm curious. What's Orcotica?
If memory serves, it was some kind of weird, hilarious derail in a thread whose original purpose escapes me... Orc Erotica, I think?

kaitie
11-15-2013, 01:07 AM
If memory serves, it was some kind of weird, hilarious derail in a thread whose original purpose escapes me... Orc Erotica, I think?
Okay, that's even funnier than killer whale erotica. :tongue

Little Anonymous Me
11-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Pfft, I'm with Shadow Ferret: there are other forums?

I stumbled onto AW doing research for my first novel. Then I looked something else up and stumbled onto AW. Damn Interviews and Experts Wanted section was the first thing on Google for my subjects every time! Then I began to creepily lurk, then I creepily joined, and now I creepily post. :tongue

I found a different writing forum by mistake and my general reaction was 'You tried. AW succeeded.' I've honestly never looked for another one!

Beachgirl
11-15-2013, 05:34 AM

I remember that thread. It was awesome.

I don't bother with other forums, except for a group on Facebook. AW is just too good to wander away from.

Laer Carroll
11-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Actually AW is more a forum of forums, a house (or mansion!) of many rooms. I participate in several of them and have no difficulty because each is fairly narrowly focused.

Peter J Story
11-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Orc sex, eh? Interesting image.

Peter J Story
11-15-2013, 08:54 PM
And also, thanks to everyone for the advice. I've since jettisoned all but one other forum. It's glossy, and I like it, and I'm keeping it.