PDA

View Full Version : Kilts

reddirtwriter
11-07-2013, 08:41 PM
I have a clan of people who I want to be wearing kilts, at least the men. They weave, but they don't work metal (messes with their magic). So I need a way to close the kilt without buckles, snaps, ect. I'm wondering if they could be laced up? I found some online that wrap around so I thought you should be able to close them that way.

Any suggestions?

AVS
11-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Buttons? Wooden ties? Pegs? Velcro?

reddirtwriter
11-07-2013, 08:59 PM
It's a little stone aged for velcro, but toggles could work and fit the idea I had for appearance.

Thanks!

Xelebes
11-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Leather lace, I'd presume. Tie a knot to get it done. You don't need a full on belt with buckle.

melindamusil
11-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Many years ago, I got a couple of wrap-around skirts in SE Asia. They had a short "strap" or "string" (about six inches long) on one side of a piece of fabric, then a longer strap (three feet) on the other side of the fabric. The fabric wrapped, obviously, and the straps were tied around the waist as many times as needed, then just tied in a knot or bow. These were womens' skirts, but they stayed up just fine.

Christabelle
11-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Many years ago, I got a couple of wrap-around skirts in SE Asia. They had a short "strap" or "string" (about six inches long) on one side of a piece of fabric, then a longer strap (three feet) on the other side of the fabric. The fabric wrapped, obviously, and the straps were tied around the waist as many times as needed, then just tied in a knot or bow. These were womens' skirts, but they stayed up just fine.
I've worn skirts exactly like that. The fabric on mine wrapped around the waist a few times, and then the ties could be wrapped around another couple of times. They stayed up well enough to wear to school without any problems.

Jaymz Connelly
11-08-2013, 02:23 AM
I actually did a lot of research on kilts for a story I was writing. The great kilt (about 7 yards long) was secured around the waist with a belt and the excess material was draped over the shoulder or used as a cape/hood. Leather with bone or wood buckles would totally work for either the belt for a great kilt or to secure a walking kilt.

sunandshadow
11-08-2013, 02:51 AM
You can make perfectly functional buckles out of wood, bone, antler, tortoise shell, seashell, etc. But yeah, no fastenings at all are necessary for a piece of clothing designed to be tied.

shaldna
11-08-2013, 05:01 AM
Traditional kilts did not need to be pinned. They were wrapped in certain ways.

Google 'Great kilt' for some ideas or see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA-um_4gulI

Remember that a kilt in the traditional sense is not the sort you see in pipebands or Braveheart (Damn you to hell Mel) instead they are heavy, complex pieces of clothing which would easily use about 8-10 yards of fabric for the average person.

ULTRAGOTHA
11-08-2013, 06:02 AM
What sunandshadow and shaldna said.

You can also make pins from ivory, bone, horn, antler, etc.

If they don't work metal how do they build the kind of loom necessary to weave wide fabric? One can do a lot with natural saplings and lashing, I suppose. Might want to look up warp weighted looms.

There is a lot of technology behind weaving wide cloth that works a whole lot better with metal tools. The weaving of cloth (as opposed to narrower bands of fabric) in almost every culture post-dates metal working technology.