Advice for Keywords on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demiansky

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wasn't sure if I should have mentioned this in an earlier thread I started or whether I should start a new one given that the subject is a bit more specific. I've been tuning the keywords for my father's novel for about a year since we self-epublished but what keywords would be appropriate have always been a bit of a black box to me.

It's an historical fiction, pirate adventure novel and currently I'm using these key-phrases on Amazon: Pirates, Pirates of the Caribbean, buccaneers, pirate novel, sea adventures, pirate romance, pirate fiction.

Notice the excessive use of the term "pirate(s)." Honestly, I'm not sure how the mechanics under the hood work. Does anyone have any advice as to what might be some better keywords under the circumstances? Thanks!

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Literary Fiction Themes/Military & War military, war
Literary Fiction Themes/School & College military & war

I'm hoping that's a typo in the list, but it does make sense in a twisted sort of way :)

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I've never seen that list of keywords before. I didn't read enough of the help files! Thanks for that link - it will be very helpful to me. I always wondered why certain categories were not available for selection in KDP and yet there were all these specific subcategories lists. It's good to know how to get included in them. I was not always using the right keywords.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Though that's the theory, I've never been listed in an additional category due to my keywords. So it might work, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I've never seen that list of keywords before. I didn't read enough of the help files! Thanks for that link - it will be very helpful to me. I always wondered why certain categories were not available for selection in KDP and yet there were all these specific subcategories lists. It's good to know how to get included in them. I was not always using the right keywords.

You can also contact KDP and request to be listed in a specific category. I did that and they responded within 2 days.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I also stumbled across this link where Amazon constantly updates their "most popular tags" as to what people are searching for on their site... hope this helps!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/tagging/cloud

Hm. Took a peek at that link, but it looks like something they no longer support.

"Our Tags feature has been discontinued; however, all the tags you previously created are still available under Your Profile page.

Originally, the Tags feature was to allow customers to tag items they were considering to purchase, tagging products that they have previously purchased for later recommendations, and tagging products to suggest better organization of them for Amazon. Over time Amazon has introduced new features which have replaced the Tags functionality, so you may be interested in learning more about features such as Wish Lists, Customer Reviews, and Recommendations."

There's another link though that I haven't spent too much time with myself: https://www.merchantwords.com/

Lets you input words and see how often they're used in searches.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Here's what I do: first, I come up with a list of keywords. Then I go and test them in two places:

adwords.google.co.uk is the first one (requires a Google account.) You want the Keyword Planner tool. This lets you check the search volume and traffic estimates for your keywords, and suggests related ones. This version of the tool has replaced the one I used last time I went there, so I recommend reading the how-to guides at that link.

The second is -- goddamn it. I was checking the link for you and Amazon have disabled tags. That was extremely useful because you could test keywords by typing them into the search box and comparing the volume of results. So the second doesn't exist any more, sadly.

Well, AdWords is cool, anyhow.

Juliet Rich

Registered
Reaction score
You could try checking tags on LibraryThing or shelves on GoodReads. While not an exact match for keywords on Amazon, it will let you know what words people are thinking of most when they think of pirate books.

http://www.librarything.com/tag/pirates
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/pirates

Another way to go at those lists is to pick a book that's very similar and look it up, see what tags/shelves people are using for it and if any of them fit yours.

Or, if your book has been added lots of times to those sites, steal your own readers' tags and shelves! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.