PDA

View Full Version : First conference? Pitching your ms.?

Cathy C
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Conference season is upon us, and many writers are wringing hands at the thought of their first pitch session. Well, you're in luck! I just visited my editor's blog (http://alg.livejournal.com/72895.html#cutid2)over on LiveJournal, and she's written a list of conference Do's and Don't's (from an editor's perspective), along with tips for your pitch session, and details of the BEST pitch she ever received. Go -- read, learn and use the knowledge at your next con. :)

Susan Gable
02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Conference season is upon us, and many writers are wringing hands at the thought of their first pitch session. Well, you're in luck! I just visited my editor's blog (http://alg.livejournal.com/72895.html#cutid2)over on LiveJournal, and she's written a list of conference Do's and Don't's (from an editor's perspective), along with tips for your pitch session, and details of the BEST pitch she ever received. Go -- read, learn and use the knowledge at your next con. :)

Miss Snark had a link to that today, Cathy. :) It's a very good article.

Susan

IHeartWriting
03-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Something to keep in mind when you attend a conference: The person sitting next to you at breakfast, might very well be an editor or agent that you'll be pitching to later on. Be professional at ALL times. While many conferences are relaxed, keep in mind that you are making PROFESSIONAL contacts.

Be sure not to badmouth anyone. Not another writer, an editor, a publishing house, etc. Remember: If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all!

Kasey Mackenzie
03-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Speaking of conference season, I notice you're going to be at Butchercon in October, Cathy. Maybe I'll see you there! =) It'll be my first con but I prolly won't sign up for any pitches. I'm hoping to encounter agents or editors in more informal surroundings just to have faces to put with names. If I get the chance for casual conversation, all the better. =)

stormie
03-03-2006, 04:34 AM
I loved the part saying not to accost an editor in the bathroom with a pitch about your manuscript. I imagine there are people who would do that. Then again, I'd rather not imagine it.

Thanks for the link!