Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Conference season is upon us, and many writers are wringing hands at the thought of their first pitch session. Well, you're in luck! I just visited my editor's blog over on LiveJournal, and she's written a list of conference Do's and Don't's (from an editor's perspective), along with tips for your pitch session, and details of the BEST pitch she ever received. Go -- read, learn and use the knowledge at your next con. :)

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Cathy C said:
Conference season is upon us, and many writers are wringing hands at the thought of their first pitch session. Well, you're in luck! I just visited my editor's blog over on LiveJournal, and she's written a list of conference Do's and Don't's (from an editor's perspective), along with tips for your pitch session, and details of the BEST pitch she ever received. Go -- read, learn and use the knowledge at your next con. :)

Miss Snark had a link to that today, Cathy. :) It's a very good article.

Susan

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
Something to keep in mind when you attend a conference: The person sitting next to you at breakfast, might very well be an editor or agent that you'll be pitching to later on. Be professional at ALL times. While many conferences are relaxed, keep in mind that you are making PROFESSIONAL contacts.

Be sure not to badmouth anyone. Not another writer, an editor, a publishing house, etc. Remember: If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all!

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Speaking of conference season, I notice you're going to be at Butchercon in October, Cathy. Maybe I'll see you there! =) It'll be my first con but I prolly won't sign up for any pitches. I'm hoping to encounter agents or editors in more informal surroundings just to have faces to put with names. If I get the chance for casual conversation, all the better. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.