Idea Sharing (Good or Bad Idea)

MoeRock

Banned
Reaction score
I was reading that if you have a good idea for a story that you should tell people about it to get a vox populi on what interest people and their excitement level. I've employed this for one of my stories. It's actually been a great way to develop the story. However, the question comes in, what if someone steals my idea. Part of me say, BEWARE but the other part says SO WHAT, they won't be able to execute the story like I will.

What do you think?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Each story is different because each writer writes them differently.

Marty0001

Registered
Reaction score
What if someone executes it better? :p I want to be the first one to execute it even if I do it like crap because I'm a little bit like that x)

There are ideas however that I couldn't care less. Like the one I've been fathoming about of an old rich fat dude, with two hot young blonds he was carrying about in his boat, stuck in an island.

But I guess you have to trust people a bit... also, execution has a big trump over idea.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've found that if I tell people about the idea before I write the story, the story dies.

Besides which, no idea you can have is the first time someone had that idea.

jari_k

Registered
Reaction score
I've found that if I tell people about the idea before I write the story, the story dies.

Besides which, no idea you can have is the first time someone had that idea.

That happens to me, too. It's as if telling the story takes away my feeling of urgency to write it.

Marty0001

Registered
Reaction score
Uhm, not sure that happens much to me. But I've seen a piece on that, it said that when people "congratulate" you on it, it is as if you were already receiving the credit for something you haven't done.

Yeah, sure others have had it :) but it is your handicapped brain child x)

I do like to see the reactions of people when I tell them the idea and if they are curious though, doing so, I am careful to not forget that the mere mentioning of the idea will be far shorter than the "actual" work :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading that if you have a good idea for a story that you should tell people about it to get a vox populi on what interest people and their excitement level. I've employed this for one of my stories. It's actually been a great way to develop the story. However, the question comes in, what if someone steals my idea. Part of me say, BEWARE but the other part says SO WHAT, they won't be able to execute the story like I will.

What do you think?

Someone stealing the idea--ideas are a dime a gazillion. A good story is far more than a single idea. It's what is extrapolated out of the idea, what is added to it, how it's built into a full story. I had a full blog post on that not that long ago, actually (Ideas and Story Seeds)

More than that, I've found that "vox populi" is a horrible practice for me as a writer. Writing is a solo enterprise, meaning that the story has to come from within me. If I have input early-on, especially in the idea stage, then there's pressure to take other people's input and incorporate it into the finished product. That's more "writing by committee" and means I write to please others instead of myself. It just might be me, but I do not enjoy that writing experience and what I produce is so much shite. Been there, done that, burn the t-shirt. My most successful work is what I keep to myself and no one sees until I deem it finished.