If not XBox One or Playstation 4 - how about Steam Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/valve-steam-machines?cid=co14000254
If these players had Steam in their living rooms, it would be a close substitute for a traditional game console — if not better. And that’s exactly what Valve’s attempting. At the Consumer Electronics Show in January, Valve and a variety of hardware partners will unveil a range of Steam Machines, television game consoles of various power levels and price points, built with commodity PC parts, that run Valve’s new Linux-based SteamOS operating system. Valve itself is nearing completion of a controller that is designed to eliminate the need for a keyboard-and-mouse setup.

“There’s a strong desire from our customers that we’ve heard for a long time,” says Valve product designer Greg Coomer. “They love all those [Steam] titles, but they also like their families. And whenever they had to go into the living room, they’ve had to abandon everything they loved about the games in the other room of the house.”

Valve doesn’t need to convince anybody to give up their Xbox. All it needs to do to disrupt the game console biz is get its current customers to bring Steam out of the computer room and onto the couch.

I've been following this, as I've followed the adventures of XBox One and Playstation 4. Next year Steam will start to sell its own console. Well, sort of.

It seems to be like a modular, simplified PC that uses common PC parts and not proprietary exclusive parts. Valve seems to be doing an Android on console gaming, ie leaving the manufacturing up to third party vendors - or the users themselves.

The operating system is a heavily modified version of Linux called SteamOS. Like it says in the article, the point is to bring PC gaming out of the bedroom or office into the living room - where the consoles now live.

And you already have the 65 million Steam users, and all the games on that platform that is said to be converted - eventually.

Have you followed this?

What do you think?

ETA:
Here are the product details from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I think it's a bit more complicated than Valve makes it seem.

Consoles have a different physical interface than PC's. So you have to have a game that can switch from one interface to the other depending on whether the user is on PC-Steam or Console-Steam.

We'll see how Valve deals with that.

But, it's a great idea. Valve did a great thing creating Steam. I'd like them to pull this off. This is (more or less) where Microsoft is headed. An interface that crosses hardware platforms.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I've never used Steam. Last time I played games on my PC was back when dial-up was still common.

So, while I've heard of Steam, and I of course know who Valve are, I have no real concept of what it is they're selling.

Is it basically like a Playstation with a busted disc drive? So you can only download or stream games?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The boxes are still in development, it seems, onesecondglance.

Steam (right now) is an online service somewhat like XBox Live. Or BattleNet if you seen that pathetic service. Valve started to distribute mods and add-ons for their games through it, then opened up the marketplace.

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
From what I gather, the goal is to make a device similar to the Roku box that will stream games, instead of streaming movies, TV shows, and music. My son is far more in tune with this than I am and has been on Steam's forums discussing it at length with them and then emailing and chatting to indy game designers he knows through his college studies (software engineering) and doing everything in his power to meet the requirements beta-testers were asked to meet to qualify for one of the test boxes. We're hoping he's one of the lucky 300 beta testers, but only time will tell since so many others also did everything they could to get the test box.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The thing that interests me is that apparently Steam will have its entire catalogue of 3000 games ready at the time of launch; either in native form that can be played directly off this console, or non-native code that streams from servers so that the steam box just becomes a client.

That way all the games on Steam will be available, and that has to be the largest game platform. I doubt that either PS4 or XBox will have that kind of catalogue. That also means that games like Skyrim or GTA5 and such big sellers will be available from the start. I'm not sure that these blockbusters will be available on XBox or PS4 at launch.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Maxinquaye, they're not consoles, their PCs with SteamOS that's prepackaged. Anyone can make a Steambox, or Steammachines (whatever Gabe is calling them now), by just running SteamOS on their computers--it's a Linux OS that's probably going to run something similar to Wine for the games.

This is just speculation, but the lower end steamboxes are probably going to run a AMD FM2+ APU system (as the FM2+ platform is still unborn). Running a A10-6800K will allow you to play any game on the market at the moment, so (possibly) introducing a similar 8core APU that's in Xbox One and PS4, a low-mid level Steambox can can a solid performer for many years to come. These Steam Machines are probably going to be made by other makers, like HP, Dell, Toshiba, and marketed through Steam (like Google Nexus devices) and sort of "regulated". And who knows what kind of hardware acceleration is awaiting us when everything is fed purely through a UNIX/Linux kernel that's been optimized for a few operations. Hell, we might be seeing the pure-bred idea of consoles.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The thing about consoles is that they are personal computers, but they don't look and feel like personal computers. The interface hides the PC stuff away behind an impenetrable layer. But if you look in the innards of any console, you'll find the usual PC parts – although they may have been exclusively manufactured for that console. You'll find RAM, Hard drives, GPUs and processors. So, it's a PC. Except they call it a console.

That's why I think it doesn't matter that Steam OS / Steam Machine is a sort of modular PC. It's a console where the console IO layer is different from the usual. It's still a box, sitting in the living room as opposed to the bedroom or home office. It's not something you'll write your next novel on, although maybe LibreOffice will work on it since it's Linux... Maybe Scrivener will work! I can outline my next novel while I'm killing zombies in Fallout 4. :D

Though, I can do that already, except on the PC. One window with zombie slaughter, and the other with teenage angst... So, Steam Machine just lifts the veil, and shows that a console is a PC and a PC is a console. Or can be. I'd like that.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My main concern with this idea is that I don't like streaming anything. I live in a place where the internet is wonky on the best days (average daily reset of the system=3), so having a game or any other program dependent on that connection really sucks for me.

Though the idea of having many, many games free to try appeals because I'm extremely particular about that. But the internet streaming thing is a huge drawback.

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
I was always losing Internet (Comcast is the only high-speed option in my area) and my kids hated it. Comcast's answer was always "replace your router," but that didn't help and they kept saying there was no way it was their modem, though they changed it out anyway, and still it didn't help. We were resetting five times a day. I noticed we would lose Internet the most when we were nearing the monthly bandwidth cap, so I was pretty sure they were decreasing our service to limit our usage, though I couldn't prove it.

I finally got sick of it and called Comcast Business, who are run independently here. They said since I work from home, I qualified as a business. Made the switch, ended up paying $5 less per month and getting higher speeds, and there is no bandwidth cap. I did have to lock-in for three years, but they said if I moved, the service moves with me without penalty. Comcast Business won't work for everyone, but if you can get it, it's so much better than the residential Comcast service.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This is the kind of nifty things that make me interested in the Steam Machines.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129855-Steam-In-Home-Streaming-Monopolizes-Host-Computer
As part of Valve's initiative to spread the tendrils of Steam to the living room, the company is preparing a feature called In-Home Streaming. The service lets one computer do the heavy lifting while another computer (not necessarily a Steam Machine, but probably a Steam Machine) outputs the video/audio and handles the controls. A Q&A post on the Steam Community revealed a few points of interest about the service: specifically, how it handles a user trying to do things on the host computer while streaming is happening. The short answer is that it doesn't.

The use case for this is that I could have my much more powerful desktop computer connect to Steam and be a 'streaming node', and with it I could sit in the sofa on the other side of the house in my much less powerful laptop and play games at top quality. Doing so natively on the laptop would send me to the infirmary with third degree burns.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested. Something that would allow me to play Steam games while snuggled up on my sofa using a controller instead of a keyboard/mouse would be brilliant. Since we won't be scrambling to buy either an XboxOne or Playstation4 (we'll consider the question when prices have come down a bit) we may be persuaded to wait for this instead.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I'm interested as well.

I have a Steam account, but I'm using a crummy Netbook, so I had to uninstall it to make room. Not only that, I cannot run anything good on my PC. I have received several Steam Gifts as well, though I don't play them due to my crappy PC.

So yeah! I'm all for this. ^^

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
SteamOS has been released, and the first consoles have been sent to beta testers.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/first-look-valve-steamos-1208118

SteamOS is basically a variant of the mother of most modern Linux variants like Ubuntu and Mint. That arch-ancestor is called Debian, and it's a very stable and boring and safe and solid variant. There's a reason why Ubuntu and Mint use Debian, after all.

That said, while the gut of Debian IS available to users, the main interface is what you'll find in any type of console - a graphical UI for Steam itself. However, if you're savvy enough, you can drop down into the desktop, which is Gnome, to run the steambox like any computer.

You've got no excuse now. You can work on your MS while you play Halo. You don't have to get up from the sofa to go to your desktop or laptop for that. :D

Last edited:

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
I have slowly been switching over to PC gaming over the last couple of years. With the great deals/sales that steam runs and other sites such as GOG and Humble Bundle, you can get hundreds of dollars worth of great and fairly modern games for near free every month. I hook my PC to the big screen, run at 1080P in the steam big screen mode, and use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with a $10 adapter I got off ebay and have a great gaming experience complete with friends list and chat and everything. I'm both excited and hopeful for the SteamOS as well as the small form factor boxes they are coming out with. I think SteamOS could end up going either way, but I hope the path it lays out becomes the new standard for Home Theater PC's in the same manner that Steam has come close to standardizing PC gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.