PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Find Out if the President's Brother is Protected by Secret Service?

mfarraday
11-05-2013, 09:36 AM
In my story, a journalist is the brother of the President of the United States. My plot may be significantly affected if the secret service is following him everywhere. Do they protect siblings of the President or not? The FAQ at http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml does not specify.

Thanks for any tips,

M.

cornflake
11-05-2013, 09:51 AM
In my story, a journalist is the brother of the President of the United States. My plot may be significantly affected if the secret service is following him everywhere. Do they protect siblings of the President or not? The FAQ at http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml does not specify.

Thanks for any tips,

M.

I believe they can, but most decline. It's immediate family of the president, which would theoretically include siblings and parents, though I don't believe it's generally taken.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a definitive, I'd wager, as they don't, for obvious reasons, want their specific protectees and procedures public.

shestval
11-05-2013, 11:43 AM
You'll be hard-pressed to find a definitive, I'd wager, as they don't, for obvious reasons, want their specific protectees and procedures public.
There's an advantage to the information being so hard to find. The only ones who will know if you're wrong would be the Secret Service themselves and high-ranking government officials. ;)

mccardey
11-05-2013, 11:46 AM
There's an advantage to the information being so hard to find. The only ones who will know if you're wrong would be the Secret Service themselves and high-ranking government officials. ;)

That's a very good point.

jclarkdawe
11-05-2013, 07:34 PM
If there is a threat, then yes. Otherwise, no. With a journalist, there may be limitations imposed on where he can go. They're not going to want him in Afghanistan, for instance.

Look at Bush's brothers and some of the others. Either they have their own security, or not likely to need it.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Shakesbear
11-05-2013, 08:27 PM
If there is a threat, then yes. Otherwise, no. With a journalist, there may be limitations imposed on where he can go. They're not going to want him in Afghanistan, for instance.

Look at Bush's brothers and some of the others. Either they have their own security, or not likely to need it.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Why? Prince Harry served there. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-harry/8578644/Prince-Harry-to-return-to-Afghanistan.html

And his uncle, Prince Andrew, served in the Falklands. http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/427680/Brave-Prince-Andrew-Action-Man

Prince Harry's first tour of duty in Helmond was outed by foreign media. If the brother of the President wanted to go t a place that would give the security people a fit of he heeby jeebies then he, being a journalist, would probably have contacts that would get him there without them knowing. Staying safe and getting home would be more problematic.

jclarkdawe
11-05-2013, 10:21 PM
British royalty do active service in the military as part of their obligations. Prince Harry went to Afghanistan with some significant restrictions on announcing the fact and trying to keep his identity hidden as long as possible. When he was outed, as you say, he was sent home.

This is vastly different security scenario then a brother of the President going as a journalist. As a journalist, presumably the brother is going to want to mingle with the locals, the journalist is going to be announcing who they are, and the journalist is not going to be spending most of their time in relatively secure military facilities. The risk of kidnapping is extremely high.

Definitely he could sneak in without the government knowing, although I can't imagine ABC or NBC or CNN or whoever being willing to risk it. And I can't imagine the brother of the President not being picked up by a major network, unless he's a complete hack.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe