I did something bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
When I quit my corporate job, I gave up smoking. I was a lawyer and whenever I got tense about a brief, I'd light up and the words seemed to flow.

Today, as I was writing a profile on an independent filmmaker (that gave a rather lousy interview, full of pretentious flighty nonesense), I was so frustrated that I lit up. And the writing has gone much better, which scares me. I really, really, really don't want to spiral back into frustration/smoking/writing cycle.

Does anyone have any tips for self-relaxation that don't involve narcotics?? I want to be a writer, but I don't want to get all William Faulkner about it.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Sorry about that, jd! I've got to do more poking around here and get more familiar with the threads.

Shadow Ferret -- things aren't that bad yet!!

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Cleopatra Jones said:
Does anyone have any tips for self-relaxation that don't involve narcotics?? I want to be a writer, but I don't want to get all William Faulkner about it.

For me relaxation is different depending on the time of day I get frustrated. Sometimes I go for a walk outside, or play some sport. Basically, anything active outside. If it's too late for that or if the weather is pretty bad then I find a room to myself and listen to some music. Anything to seperate myself to what I'm working on. It's in those clear moments when I'm not thinking about anything when I get through any blocks I might be stuck on.

Also, the shower is great for me too but if I did that everytime I ran into a wall, my skin would be red, raw, and prunny. :)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I used to smoke and when I'd get stuck writing, I'd go out on the porch and have a smoke. When I was done and I'd sit at the computer again, the writing would just flow. I quit just a few months ago and now when I get stuck or frustrated writing, I feel a bit lost, like my magic writing cure is forbidden. Like I'm trying to decide which is the lesser of two evils. Recently, I've tried just walking away from whatever I'm writing for a bit. I do some mindless task like washing dishes, moping, laundry, or I'll even just go for a short walk, 'bout half an hour to an hour. Sometimes I find myself pacing too, which seems to help get over little humps in the writing. And surprisingly, when I sit at the comp again, the writing flows. I don't think one technique will work for everyone, but just thought I'd share what helped me.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Story and Cleo. Trading a little exercise for smoking is a win-win if it does the trick. Story, you know I'm 100% behind you on this. Cleo, same. If you can find a substitute, great. Just take the time to look. In the long term, though, what's more important, your writing or your health?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Trust me, no one will make it in this business without a carton of Pall Malls and a bottle of Jack.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
storygirl said:
I quit just a few months ago and now when I get stuck or frustrated writing, I feel a bit lost, like my magic writing cure is forbidden.

Yes! The magic writing cure! That's just what I was thinking today while typing away in my nicotine haze -- cigarettes are like magic! Too bad it's the kind of magic that kills.

I like the idea of walking, but it's too freakin' cold right now. Showering might do the trick. Jack Daniels might too, but I'm scared I'll start writin' mean.

Please nobody suggest gummy bears -- I've already tried it and it doesn't work.:)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
Trust me, no one will make it in this business without a carton of Pall Malls and a bottle of Jack.
The Jack's no problem, but can I just set the Pall Malls next to the computer and not smoke them? If not, I guess I won't make it....

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A tiny bit of lavendar essential oil dabbed on my pulse point works to calm me. Soothing music playing low in the background works too.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, I've tried just walking away from whatever I'm writing for a bit. I do some mindless task like washing dishes, moping, laundry, or I'll even just go for a short walk, 'bout half an hour to an hour. Sometimes I find myself pacing too, which seems to help get over little humps in the writing. And surprisingly, when I sit at the comp again, the writing flows. I don't think one technique will work for everyone, but just thought I'd share what helped me.
I've never smoked, but I find that all of these help when I'm stuck, along with taking walks.

Cleo and SG, best of luck with your efforts to stop smoking. You can do it!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is unkind to say, "You oughta know, Ray"?

Maryn, ducking

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could always do what my step mom does....

she's smoked for years & her doctor told her 'no way you smoke - your lungs are clean!'

she doesn't inhale! (seems pointless, yes - but it works for her)
Worth a try.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've never smoked, so is it the nicotine that gives you the impetus to write again or is it the ritual of the act, that is relaxing?

In any case, I find that solitaire helps me work thru problems. It is something to do with my hands, and it is quite contemplative. Knitting also does the same thing for me - not the complicated stuff that requires thinking and a pattern but just straight knit for scarves and dish cloths.

Another tip is that I take Ginko Biloba supplements, and I do feel that they work. When I don't take them, my mind does not feel as sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.