Remember to turn your clocks back...

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
...or forward...or sideways...or upside down...or maybe just break out the Swiffer duster and make 'em look all pretty-like...or something like that.

All I know is that something's about to happen with the clocks, and it's going down tonight, my friends. Or maybe it's early tomorrow morning...or...

:Shrug:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Fall forward, Spring back, right?

My clocks are all going out dancing around midnight and I don't expect any sense out of them til sometime mid-week. At some point they'll stagger homeward, dragging cords, shedding a stray numeral here and there, chips in their plastic and scratches on their faces. They'll hover at my windows, buzzing and chiming and ticking, until I wake up and decide whether or not to let them in.

One year I didn't. I'd gotten sick and tired of time altogether. That year it took three days for them to give up. One of those still lives under the back porch, I think, because occasionally I see a faint digital glow through the floorboards out there. The others washed down the street in a sudden rainstorm, and I never saw them again.

The next week I had to give in and go buy new clocks, though. My cat kept waking me up, wanting to know what time it was.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spring forward, fall back. :D

Our clocks went back last week. It's why I'm a mole.

<--- mole.

We're done with daylight till March.

*she took me seriously* :D

when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, the winter was maybe more like yours, Fran. At the darkest, the sun would set around 4:30 pm and it wouldn't get light at all til around 9 in the morning.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I set my clock so far back once...
I met myself setting it forward.

So the two of us went out for drinks...
Got so drunk, I saw four of myself.

Was so very disorienting...
I'm not entirely sure which of me is here.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I set my clock so far back once...
I met myself setting it forward.

So the two of us went out for drinks...
Got so drunk, I saw four of myself.

Was so very disorienting...
I'm not entirely sure which of me is here.

That's what I'm trying to say! This whole clock thing is sooooooooo confusing!

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
*she took me seriously* :D

when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, the winter was maybe more like yours, Fran. At the darkest, the sun would set around 4:30 pm and it wouldn't get light at all til around 9 in the morning.

Winter solstice sunrise here is 8.45am, sunset 3.45pm. (Compare with summer solstice - sunrise 4.30am, sunset 10.06pm.) But it doesn't get properly dark in summer. The sun sets but only just. There's always a pay-off. :D

And if it's a cloudy day here it feels like there's no daylight at all. I had my lights on at half two this afternoon. Grim.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...or forward...or sideways...or upside down...or maybe just break out the Swiffer duster and make 'em look all pretty-like...or something like that.

All I know is that something's about to happen with the clocks, and it's going down tonight, my friends. Or maybe it's early tomorrow morning...or...

:Shrug:

Living in one of the few places that does not participate in the madness known as daylight saving time, I don't got to do nothin'.

MM

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Winter solstice sunrise here is 8.45am, sunset 3.45pm. (Compare with summer solstice - sunrise 4.30am, sunset 10.06pm.) But it doesn't get properly dark in summer. The sun sets but only just. There's always a pay-off. :D
Ah, yes. I used to live in the Canadian arctic when I was a kid.

On New Year's Eve, they scheduled the fireworks display for 6PM so the little kids could see it without having to stay up late.

On Canada Day, they admitted defeat and just sent up coloured puffs of smoke instead.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
I liked living on Bonaire, where a winter sunset was at 18:00 and a summer sunset was at 19:00.

Here in Arizona, we don't bother with daylight savings time. Our shortest day is from 7:30 to 17:30, and our longest is from 5:20 to 19:40.