PDA

View Full Version : Skyhorse Publishing

Undercover
04-16-2012, 02:13 AM
I searched to see if it was on the AW list and I can't find it. Has anyone dealt with this company before?

http://www.skyhorsepublishing.com/

twm
04-16-2012, 02:21 AM
They are well regarded and have put out several bestselling novels. They are open to unsolicited submissions. Good luck!

FoamyRules
04-16-2012, 02:30 AM
From their submission's page they seem to be a non fiction publisher?

kaitie
04-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Looks like they do mostly non-fiction.

Undercover
04-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Yeah, but they have other imprints including Sky Pony for children's books which I thought was interesting.

FoamyRules
04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Well their About Us page over on the Skyhorse tab does give the name of the person who started it and lists his experience in publishing from what I see. I give them an A on their website, it seems to be directed towards readers from what I can tell. But I'm not an expert on publishing, someone who has more experience can give you more insight.

LillyPu
04-16-2012, 11:58 PM
A friend of mine has a recent release with Skyhorse--a memoir--and is enjoying their marketing efforts on his behalf. Sales are good.

kellion92
04-17-2012, 05:32 AM
I know someone who has a picture book coming out from Sky Pony. It's the new children's imprint for Skyhorse, which announced last summer, and the PB in question looks fun, commercial, and well illustrated.

Al Stevens
05-09-2012, 02:10 AM
From their website's submissions page:

http://www.skyhorsepublishing.com/guidelines/

Unfortunately, due to the volume of queries, we will not be able to respond to everyone. However, you may request an immediate review (two business days) for a $100 rush fee payable in advance by check.

I haven't seen that before. Is this a common practice?

kellion92
05-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Hmm, that might be new. I had queried Sky Pony when the imprint was first announced and got an R in 2 or 3 weeks. I queried another project and never got an answer -- I figured they went to No Response Means No, but No Response Unless You Pay is definitely worse.

G. Applejack
05-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants to pay the $100 for the rush review, and then get a rejection?

triceretops
05-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants to pay the $100 for the rush review, and then get a rejection?

You betcha. You've got about a 99% chance of that happening.

Al Stevens
05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
A new term is born: vanity submission.

herdon
05-09-2012, 07:23 PM
The technical term is probably "optional reading fee". Any way you slice it, though, it's unethical.

Al Stevens
05-09-2012, 08:09 PM
The fee implies that the publisher is having financial woes. Reason enough not to submit.

DahlELama
05-10-2012, 12:18 AM
The fee implies that the publisher is having financial woes. Reason enough not to submit.

I don't know about that--they've been doing some hiring lately. Granted, they pay the lowest entry-level salary I've ever seen, but they've definitely been bringing in new blood which I doubt they'd be doing if they were tanking. A friend of mine used to work there and loved it.

herdon
05-10-2012, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't think it had as much to do with financial issues as it might have to do with them trying to stem the tide of "please look at my manuscript quickly because of time sensitivity" and "have you looked at it yet?" and "have you looked at it yet?" (etc.) by being able to point at the fee knowing that many will decline.

But I do think it ends up on the wrong side of the ethical line.

Al Stevens
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
And everytime someone pays that hundred bucks, everyone else gets bumped back a position in line. Buy your way out of the slush.

John Olexa
03-20-2013, 02:37 AM
"due to the volume of queries, we will not be able to respond to everyone. However, you may request an immediate review (two business days) for a $100 rush fee payable in advance by check".
Skyhorse Publishing, Inc

Sounds like a way to get an easy hundred bucks.

mirandashell
03-20-2013, 02:38 AM
Don't touch it with a shitty stick.

Jersey Chick
03-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Run. And don't look back.

John Olexa
03-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Thanks! Deleated them off my list

Maddie
03-20-2013, 04:40 AM
I saw that too, on Skyhorse Publishing's web site. I did some research after checking out the AW thread for Liza Royce Agency, as some of their sales are to Skyhorse (and Sky Pony Press, an imprint of Skyhorse--which doesn't seem to offer the $100 bait to speed up the submission process). Skyhorse doesn't require being agented to submit.

John Olexa
03-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Thanks
Also sorry mods. I didn't know there was already a thread about this. Thanks for linking my question into this one.

Maddie
03-20-2013, 05:24 AM
Arcade Publishing is the fiction imprint of Skyhorse. Same $100.00 offer on their Submissions page.

aliceshortcake
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Maddie beat me to it. Perhaps a mod could merge the Skyhorse/Arcade threads?

Weirdmage
04-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Saw this in connection to the Night Shade Books thing (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26077&page=3) (starts at post 63) earlier today. (It's from January 2012) http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/50085-skyhorse-offers-cash-to-struggling-publishers-for-backlist-titles.html

Axordil
04-03-2013, 11:56 PM
To play devil's advocate on the "Get out of slush free, er, for $100" card--if they generated enough funds that way to hire another reader, would that not help everyone?

It could happen...

I must be in an unusually optimistic mood today.

James D. Macdonald
04-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Underland Announces Sale (http://www.underlandpress.com/)

(April 15, 2013) Skyhorse Publishing and Start Publishing announced today the purchase of Underland Press, an award-winning independent publishing house dedicated to science fiction, fantasy, and horror.

eqb
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
I wonder what contract terms were offered to those authors.

Weirdmage
04-16-2013, 04:02 PM
I wonder what contract terms were offered to those authors.

I've seen one author say that the contract terms with Underland stays the same after the purchase, so this looks like an outright buy. Unlike the NSB situation.

eqb
04-16-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm glad to hear that.

juniper
06-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Looked at this publisher's site today while reading a review of a book published by them. I have no way of knowing if it's a solid place, but their "About Us" blurb sounds promising.

"We opened our doors in 2006 committed to bringing the world a broad mix of books. With six New York Times bestsellers, more than 2,000 books on our backlist, and nearly 600 planned over the next year across our five imprints, we've been thrilled with the response we've received from the press, booksellers, and readers."

Looks as if the "$100 for a quick read" has disappeared from their submission guidelines.

"... If we are interested in seeing more than the first 50 pages, we will contact you and request the balance of the manuscript. Therefore, please refrain from submitting unfinished novels.

Send all submissions to: "submissions at skyhorsepublishing dot com". If we are interested, we will get back to you within 4-6 weeks. Unfortunately, due to the volume of queries, we will not be able to respond to everyone."

veinglory
06-19-2013, 01:59 AM
I wonder if they were best sellers when published by Skyhorse, and if so what those titles were. To me, even with several imprints, 600 hundred sounds like a lot of titles

triceretops
06-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Any type of advance or distribution? Most important for me, and other writers.

tri

Round Two
06-19-2013, 08:46 AM

tri

Per Shelf Awareness (http://www.shelf-awareness.com/issue.html?issue=1964#m19558) - print books distributed by Perseus as of January 1, 2014, ebooks as of August 1, 2013. Looks like they are currently distributed by W.W. Norton in the United States.

LaneHeymont
06-20-2013, 11:07 PM

tri

I see Skyhorse books in local Barnes & Noble all the time.

triceretops
07-12-2013, 05:06 AM
I'm not sure if this press, with all their imprints, publishes genre fiction in the YA category. Anybody know? I do see picture books and what looks like MG, but that's it. It does seem to publish non-fiction primarily.

tri

Undercover
07-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Well Mandm, I'm pretty sure Skyhorse is legit and if they're giving you attention because your books are doing well, I can only see that as a good thing. I don't know what type of advance you think reasonable, but to some writers here a 1,500 dollar advance is a nice chunk of money.

If they are offering you a contract and an advance and all that and you still don't know what to do, you can perhaps email a few agents telling them about your situation. It might come of some interest to them and may be able to help you get a better advance and whatever you want to change on the contract. Good Luck to you.

triceretops
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Undercover is offering some good advice here. I'd certainly bounce the details off an agent and ask if they are interested.

My two non-fiction books pulled a $1,500 and a $2,000 advance, but that was way back in 1988 and 1990. It seemed a lot then for small press. You hardly see that today with the lesser-known or indie houses. What you need is an agent's assistance and a proper round of submissions to the Big Five publishers.

tri

mandm
07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Thank you, Triceratops.

Out of the handful of agents I approached about taking this on (even sending them the actual offer), only one replied. She said the advance and offer was not good enough to take on unless I paid her $150 an hour to negotiate the contract.

So I contacted the author of the other book they rep and asked her for the name of her literary agent thinking this does two things--tells the other author that her publisher is going to be publishing the competition and at the very least puts us on an even keel if I do acquire her agent to rep me too.

What are the royalties like? Have you had non-fiction advances recently? If so, what are they like now?

I wrote these books on a lark, to share my hobby with others. I did not realize they would be such a huge hit. It was a way of experimenting with Amazon self-publishing with a product that was not my "baby" like some of my fiction is. At the same time, I've come to have loyal readers that I don't want to disappoint and I already promised them I would release the paperback next week via Amazon CreateSpace. Waiting until April of next year to see it published would hurt.

There are other writers in my writing group and we share our experiences, good and bad, and learn from them. One of those authors has book sales that are even higher than mine for a non-fiction release. So wherever I go, she may follow.

mandm
07-12-2013, 10:14 AM
You mention big five publishers. Who are they? I didn't know anyone was open to receiving unsolicited unagented submissions. Last I read they weren't. Now I'm thinking maybe they were the wrong ones.

Undercover
07-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Random House
Simon & Schuster
Penguin
Hachette Group
MacMillan
Harper Collins

Here's more on them: http://www.scottmarlowe.com/post/Publishinge28099s-Big-6-Who-are-they.aspx

But Tri's right, it might be 5 now since two of them merged, right? Didn't Penguin and Random House? Anyway, I would keep trying agents. And if you get no response, you can always try to negotiate yourself. Remember to ask a ton of questions and if you don't feel comfortable with it, you can always just keep your books the way they are. What's that old adage, why change what isn't broke?

CaoPaux
12-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Is moving their distribution from W.W. Norton to Perseus Books Group, starting next year. (Which of the three channels (http://www.perseuspromos.com/distros/) has yet to be revealed.)

triceretops
12-16-2013, 08:41 PM
They did get back to me and affirm that they do publish YA titles and that an agent is not needed. Distribution is a good thing and I do sniff an advance in there somewhere, maybe token or small. My agent would have to dig that out.

ETA: Just made sub, so we'll see what come of it. Notified agent.
tri

Angkor
02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
My agent has placed a number of books with Skyhorse and he speaks highly of them. He plans to try to place five of my books with them. Four of these have been in print; and one is completed, but not published.
A glance at their titles reveals heavy leaning toward nonfiction, especially sports, crafts, etc. So, I'm not fully confident I'd be a great fit (four of my books are fiction/thrillers; the fifth is nonfiction). I'll report my impressions here once I hear back.

Angkor
12-06-2014, 10:40 PM
My agent has placed a number of books with Skyhorse and he speaks highly of them. He plans to try to place five of my books with them. Four of these have been in print; and one is completed, but not published.
A glance at their titles reveals heavy leaning toward nonfiction, especially sports, crafts, etc. So, I'm not fully confident I'd be a great fit (four of my books are fiction/thrillers; the fifth is nonfiction). I'll report my impressions here once I hear back.

UPDATE: I terminated my contract with my agent months ago. I felt he'd shot his wad and wasn't able to deliver. I also didn't like what I'd read about Skyhorse and wanted nothing to do with them. I now have another agent with contacts in the traditional Big-5 publishing houses.

Roxxsmom
03-07-2015, 07:33 AM
I see a number of agents who take SF and F selling books to Skyhorse recently, ever since they bought out Nightshade (which they now own and operate). Nightshade was a SFWA approved market before it fell on hard times and stopped paying its authors, and the SFWA approved the buy out by Skyhorse as an "at least the Nightshade authors will get something then" compromise, but I notice that Skyhorse is still not on their list of approved authors, and googling the subject yields nothing about whether their becoming approved is being negotiated or in the works. I assume this means their royalties and advances are below the minimum SFWA requirements.

They also don't require an agent for submissions (neither did Nightshade back in the day), so am I right to a assume that an agent who has a number of sales to Skyhorse without also having at least some sales to big-5 subsidiaries is probably someone to keep away from?

oldschool
03-08-2015, 02:01 AM
[They also don't require an agent for submissions (neither did Nightshade back in the day), so am I right to a assume that an agent who has a number of sales to Skyhorse without also having at least some sales to big-5 subsidiaries is probably someone to keep away from?]

Yes, that would be wise. Unless you don't care about making money from your writing. Skyhorse pays very small advances, and since most books don't earn out - hence no royalties - you'd be essentially writing/working for free. Signing with an agent that doesn't sell to the Big Five - who pay lower advances than previously BTW - is most likely a waste of time.

MickRooney
03-19-2015, 05:37 PM
I can only sound out what has already been said here on Skyhorse.

A solid publisher, but advances are low. I've bought several aviation books and the quality has been good. Yes, a few editing glitches, but I see that in books from the big houses as well.

The $100 reading fee was an ill-judged move and it didn't last long before they removed it.

Definitely more a non-fiction publisher; one of their big release titles this year was CNN aviation expert David Soucie's book on MH370. Prior to release, he expressed concerns (via social media) about issues with the cover design and communication from Skyhorse when it went to pre-order. Those issues were eventually resolved, but it made me wonder if a less prominent author would have got the same response and changes made.

I can't speak from the YA fiction side in general, but the non-fiction titles from Skyhorse get their deserved marketing, but like many independent publishers, there are limits and a budget; a great deal falls on the efforts of the author. Soucie has a media platform and a PR company to promote his public speaking events, outside of Skyhorse.

I think that's the key here. If you can place a book with an independent publisher (whether via an agent or direct submission), you need to work hard on your author branding and platform. Without it, that $2000 advance may be all you see in author earnings.

oceansoul
03-19-2015, 06:32 PM
I've seen quite a lot of hype about them via my social media feed recently. I guess they are releasing quite a few YA titles next year. Some of their subimprints already do a lot of SFF titles.

Becca C.
07-29-2015, 08:59 AM
My agent has just sold my debut contemporary YA novel, MAYBE IN PARIS, to Sky Pony Press! MIP is a sibling-focused story, with only a dash of a romantic subplot, not ending in a happily-ever-after. We chose Sky Pony over an R&R with a Big 5 imprint because the editor, Nicole Frail, fell in love with the story as a sibling story. She's the only editor who didn't request me to bulk up the romance. This won big, big points for me. It will be released spring 2017!

Roxxsmom
07-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Congratulations! Sky Pony is their YA imprint, I'm guessing?

Skyhorse bought out the failing Night Shade Books, which had gotten into deep doo doo with the SFWA for not paying their authors, if I remember correctly, and had some serious financial issues. The deal wasn't considered ideal, because the pay rates are lower than what the SFWA considers industry standard for SF and F (Skyhorse isn't on the SFWA approved list), but they did keep the imprint alive, and they still seem to acquire and publish new titles.

Their books look very appealing (nice covers), they have a presence on the shelves of bookstores, and they have some very good writers in their lineup. All of these are very important.

Becca C.
07-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Yes, Sky Pony does YA, MG, and picture books, as well. I agree, their covers are gorgeous, and I just recently read one of their YAs. It was a really beautiful hardcover. I've ordered more of their books to see what my pub family is like :)

Roxxsmom
07-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Is yours a picture book, or for older kids. I have nieces and nephews from newborn to teen in my family and am always looking for gifts.

Fuchsia Groan
07-29-2015, 07:30 PM
My agent has just sold my debut contemporary YA novel, MAYBE IN PARIS, to Sky Pony Press! MIP is a sibling-focused story, with only a dash of a romantic subplot, not ending in a happily-ever-after. We chose Sky Pony over an R&R with a Big 5 imprint because the editor, Nicole Frail, fell in love with the story as a sibling story. She's the only editor who didn't request me to bulk up the romance. This won big, big points for me. It will be released spring 2017!

YAY, Becca! There are some Sky Pony writers of YA in my 2016 debut group, and their books sound really, really cool.

Thedrellum
07-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Congratulations!

Becca C.
07-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Is yours a picture book, or for older kids. I have nieces and nephews from newborn to teen in my family and am always looking for gifts.

It's for teens. The main character is 18 but apart from some swearing, the story would be suitable for any kid 12+ :) I would love it to be a gift!

oceansoul
07-30-2015, 08:46 PM

I saw this on Twitter last night! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations and let us know your experiences!

Becca C.
07-30-2015, 08:53 PM
I saw this on Twitter last night! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations and let us know your experiences!

Thanks! I'm really enjoying all the Twitter love :P

The Suspense Author
09-27-2015, 08:20 AM
My friend just now told me he was published by Skyhorse Publishing and when I asked how that went he said "Just Beware. They assigned me a publicist...he did almost nothing. Statements have been repeatedly late. They withhold considerable royalties "against potential returns" - and that's just for starters." So I figured I'd see if there was a thread on here about them and drop his comment. Good luck!

BobFontain
10-29-2016, 06:03 AM
I joined this forum just so I could answer this question.
I know I'm just one voice but I can tell you that my friend had a fairly successful book (according to them) published by skyhorse several years ago and is still waiting to get an accurate accounting of sales and to be paid fairly. We have heard nothing but excuses from skyhorse including "we forgot to send your check". Now they are paying attorney's to get their attention and they claim to be looking into it. Still waiting to hear back from them, and still no money!! They are very disorganized and appear to be dishonest, Suggest everyone look elsewhere!

Denevius
11-14-2016, 08:31 AM
I didn't want to start a thread since this one exists. Anyone have any recent submissions tracking data on Talos Press, which is an imprint of Skyhorse Publishing? I tried Submissions Grinder, but Talos Press didn't come up for a search there, either. I sent something to them seven weeks ago and haven't heard a word. Are they a publisher that simply doesn't respond if not interested?

Thanks for any info!

JayGatsby101
11-16-2016, 04:07 AM
My timeline with this publisher:

Full request from Nicole on PitMad: 3/11/2015
Sent full: 3/12/2015
Receipt confirmed in personalized email: 3/12/2015
Nudge: 1/11/2016
Nudge w/Offer: 6/20/2016

There was no further communication from this publisher after the confirmed receipt. 80K Literary Fiction.

Denevius
11-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Good to know. Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that since it's been 7 weeks without a word, it must be a pass. If anything changes, I'll update here.

EMaree
07-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Was really impressed by Sky Pony lately -- the cover for upcoming title 'Brooding YA Hero' had some complaints by fans for whitewashing the main character (https://www.bustle.com/p/the-brooding-ya-bad-boy-you-love-to-hate-hate-to-love-is-getting-his-own-book-cover-reveal-55780) (compare to the header image in that article, and the fan-chosen portrait (https://creativelycarrie.com/2016/12/20/vote-for-a-new-face-for-broodingyahero/)) so they updated the cover to address this (https://readatmidnight.com/2017/07/20/cover-reveal-interview-and-giveaway-brooding-ya-hero/).

Nicely done, Sky Pony. Good handling of a mistake.

(Also, omg, I'm really excited for this book. It looks great!)

hester
07-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Chiming in on this thread to say I read an awesome horror novel from this pub--FANTASTICLAND by Mike Bockoven. Basically Lord of the Flies at a Florida amusement park heavily damaged by a hurricane. I found the book at my local B & N and was really impressed...

EMaree, I can't wait for "Brooding YA Hero!"

Old Editor
10-19-2017, 07:20 PM
They are very nice folks. You can email any one of their editors and that editor will send you a complete list of editors and what they are looking for, along with their email addresses. They can be slow to respond to queries. I'd rate their contract as satisfactory,

eqb
10-21-2017, 06:56 PM
They are very nice folks. You can email any one of their editors and that editor will send you a complete list of editors and what they are looking for, along with their email addresses. They can be slow to respond to queries. I'd rate their contract as satisfactory,

I hope they've cleaned up their act in the last couple years. Their contact was pretty unfriendly to authors, and I heard reports about problems with payments and iffy royalty statements.

Raptor
12-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Does anyone know what the typical response time is for Sky Pony, the YA arm of Sky Horse? I queried Katrina Enright in Sept and while I plan to give it a few more months for a response, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with responses. They are a bit unusual in that they request the entire MS as part of the query, but I guess this saves on making requests, but it will certainly lengthen response times.

thothguard51
02-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Asking for someone else. They say there is an open call for Talos publishing, a subsidiary of Skyhorse Publishing, which is a sub of Arcadia Publishing group. Talos is asking for the usual, plus of query letter, a 1 to 2 page synopsis, and a sample chapter or two. No problem so for until this...
Market analysis, including research on competitive titles. To me, competitive titles is subjective and its the publishers job to analysis competitive books before they buy the manuscript. Does this sound right to anyone? Does anyone know anything about Talos Publishing and their reputation...

Krista G.
02-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Asking for someone else. They say there is an open call for Talos publishing, a subsidiary of Skyhorse Publishing, which is a sub of Arcadia Publishing group. Talos is asking for the usual, plus of query letter, a 1 to 2 page synopsis, and a sample chapter or two. No problem so for until this...
Market analysis, including research on competitive titles
. To me, competitive titles is subjective and its the publishers job to analysis competitive books before they buy the manuscript. Does this sound right to anyone? Does anyone know anything about Talos Publishing and their reputation...

I'm not familiar with Talos Press itself, but Skyhorse is a reasonably reputable publisher. I also don't think their asking for a market analysis is a huge red flag, though it's certainly more common for nonfiction than fiction. Yes, the publisher should be familiar with the market and what's selling (and what isn't), but since you know your book better than anyone, they want you to tell them which shelf it would go on and what books it's most like. BookScan can be helpful for figuring this out, since you want to mention comp titles that have sold well enough to catch a publisher's eye but also aren't the huge best-sellers (since calling your book the next, say, Harry Potter comes off as amateurish and almost certainly isn't true).

Hope that helps!