PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling a plane ticket

Perks
11-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I realized I've never had to do this -

If you buy an airline ticket and then, say, the next day, cancel it, do they just give you your money back? Are there usually fees associated with it?

GeorgeK
11-01-2013, 09:40 PM
It varies a lot. You might get nothing back, as in no refunds, it might be full price minus a fee. There are many variables, time of year, length of time between purchase and the flight, what airline, what seating class...

Channy
11-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Most airlines ask you to buy insurance. Insurance is what entails you to a refund or not. No insurance, no refund. If no insurance, they'll sometimes then give you a credit to use for up to a year, but this is if you go through a booking site such as Expedia.

Depending on how soon after you cancel the ticket (with insurance) you'll be entitled to a certain amount. It's usually a full refund up until 15-30 days before the flight, then it goes down to something like 75%, and then if within 7-14 days then it goes down further to something like 35% and any shorter than that, you get a very small refund, if any.

I (had) a long distance relationship for a few years so I've bought my fair share of tickets.

cornflake
11-01-2013, 10:35 PM
In my experience, the type of fare is what determines what you'll get back. A full-price ticket will usually get you a full refund, or very close. A discount fare will have conditions - no refund, changes only with a $50 or $75 fee, changes only up to X before the flight, etc.

Again, in my experience, it's clear before you actually go through with the purchase what the deal is.

Alpha Echo
11-01-2013, 10:43 PM
In my experience, the type of fare is what determines what you'll get back. A full-price ticket will usually get you a full refund, or very close. A discount fare will have conditions - no refund, changes only with a $50 or $75 fee, changes only up to X before the flight, etc.

Again, in my experience, it's clear before you actually go through with the purchase what the deal is.

This. And I have a fair amount of experience as I book travel for the management team. Even for the government, this is how it works. Which is why I buy full-price government fare tickets. My managers change and cancel their flights constantly!

On that note, change fees only apply if you use a booking agent. If you do it yourself online; no fees (unless the flight you're changing it to is a more expensive flight)

WeaselFire
11-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I realized I've never had to do this -
Did you mean Google for an answer? Because it took one search and two clicks to find:

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/reservations/refunds/refund.aspx#tabs-4

Jeff

Perks
11-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Did you mean Google for an answer? Because it took one search and two clicks to find:

JeffAren't you precious?

MarkEsq
11-02-2013, 02:08 AM

Jeff

In my experience, there's a large difference between a company's policies, and a consumer's real world experiences.

Cranky
11-02-2013, 02:12 AM
In my experience, there's a large difference between a company's policies, and a consumer's real world experiences.

+1 to this.

Williebee
11-02-2013, 02:23 AM
I've had to pay a processing fee. I had one that gave me credit for a ticket later. And, I've purchased tickets online, with the insurance, and had it still charge me a (smaller) processing fee. So, I'd say it depends on the when -- because their policies have changed over the last two decades; the which -- every airline has their own way of making it difficult; and the who -- I've also had flights cancelled and changed with no hassle or fee whatsoever. Same airline that charged me a fee and had earlier lost my luggage. I'm convinced that it had to do with who I got on the phone and the time of year/fiscal quarter/whatever.

bookworm92
11-02-2013, 05:15 AM
I think it all depends on the airline. Why not go to their websites and check out the terms and conditions for cancellation of tickets?

blacbird
11-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Aren't you precious?

Well, maybe he is, but it is kind of obvious and simple piece of research to do.

caw

Perks
11-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Well, I apologize to anyone I pulled away, to their distress, from whatever else they were doing.

I have done searches for all sorts of things for different writing projects over the years and still benefited from time to time from hearing more individualized experiences to give me ideas on as-yet vague scene developments.

Not quite sure how this minor question was a splinter for a few members, but it obviously was. Maybe I'll feel bad about it someday.

The_Ink_Goddess
11-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Well, I apologize to anyone I pulled away, to their distress, from whatever else they were doing.

I have done searches for all sorts of things for different writing projects over the years and still benefited from time to time from hearing more individualized experiences to give me ideas on as-yet vague scene developments.

Not quite sure how this minor question was a splinter for a few members, but it obviously was. Maybe I'll feel bad about it someday.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, "did you try Google?" can be a snippy response to get, but is there any need to be so snappy?

mccardey
11-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Oh, Perks - if only you'd posted a trigger warning. Remember for next time, hmmm? It's a little thing, but it makes such a difference :granny:

Perks
11-03-2013, 02:50 AM
mccardey, it's in the Bible, somewhere near the beginning, I think. "And Snippy begat Snappy and Snappy begat Full-on Snitty and..."

Some days are like that.

Cranky
11-04-2013, 08:18 PM
And if people think a simple question is too much for them to waste their time answering, IMO, then they can just, yanno, not answer. I'm not a mod for this room or anything, but it might be best to get back to the question at hand.