PDA

View Full Version : Cryptic Crossword #10 [Completed]

HarryHoskins
11-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Here (http://www.hoskinscrosswords.com/introduction.html) is a link to an in-depth cryptic crossword solving guide.

Here (http://plus.maths.org/content/sites/plus.maths.org/files/puzzle/2012/hammer.jpg) is a link demonstrating my competency as a crossword setter.

Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278353), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276767), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274923), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272943), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271205), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269340), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267430), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264303), and Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262785) are links to my previous on-site crosswords (full answers and parsings in last posts).

Here is a crossword grid:

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/NAG_zpscad32bbf.png

Here are some clues (see below for larger font):

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/across_zps1479a054.pnghttp://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/down_zps71526e3b.png

Here are the same clues in the forums regular font

Across

1 Use these if the great unwashed are really revolting? (5,6)

7 Loadsa dollars! (9)

12 Possibly magazines a Berkshire town has issue with (7,6)

13 Orange used as mustard? No way! (7)

14 Tough guys subdued by tiddly politico convalescing (2,3,4)

15 Leaderless hooligan faction deserted position (7,4)

16 Rampant hound (briefly) protected boneyard (4,4)

18 She'll help get a round in, but won't get one in herself (6)

19 Tight arse in morning? I'd stop eating rubbish starters (5)

21 Very sore tip of nipple could be milked again! (7)

23 Capital city in Georgia (6)

25 Take down unusual notes having attended naff G8 summits (6)

27 Maybe do this in a ménage à trois to be sensible? (4,4,4,7,2)

29 Uphold suggestion without detailed argument (6)

31 Whimsical chamber of commerce? (6)

32 Uncover an abundance of food (7)

35 A fellow eating late incurs service charge (3-2)

36 Base business near waste disposal unit (6)

38 Sand edges of torpedo ship's chair (8)

41 For Catholics say the Vatican's in odd reverence over bible (5,6)

42 Shake conker elm to get player (3,6)

44 Drink killed Earl Grey (4,3)

45 Don't use filthy talk like that baton twirling party-lover! (1,3,2,3,4)

46 Bread dish with camp silver covering (4,5)

47 Files orders - maybe during conflict (5,6)

Down

1 Hawk relaxing atop Mongolian home (9)

2 50s youth imbibes unit to get drunk (7)

3 Neon light ray regularly set up to germinate flower (5)

4 Approach the German (smile first) then grab tool! (5,7)

5 A bird in hand usually is easily spotted (6)

6 It's an institution to go over form before race begins (8,6,7)

7 Just think up over 80,000 ideas initially, then cut them down to one! (7)

8 Gassed rabbit with some firedamp (8)

9 One walking away from boxing match - a punter, say? (6,3)

10 Drunk casuals with acne and no heart may do this (5,1,7)

11 This rod will get you going! (8,3)

17 In the manner of repeating different defeat? (5)

20 Reindeer embarrassed climbing over tree (6)

22 Derived to fend off a dog perhaps (7,6)

24 Poem about lad returning drunk from Australia? (6)

26 Sickening cartel breaks into church to get valuable (12)

27 Rigorous shelling of armoured Manx gastropods causes callous (4,2,5)

28 Before extreme lovemaking, tart finally removed coil (5)

30 Sensitive point man raised after judge cut short summit (9)

33 Jellyfish circling eighty journalists? (9)

34 Plans to edge into jazz singing end in drama (8)

37 Champion expecting gold upset going into race start (7)

39 Glasgow man's rebuttal to wife proves beyond poor (7)

40 A pupil gets firm date for recess (6)

43 Business formed around collectivist beliefs (5)

Note on potential ease of access problems

If there's anything I can do to make the xwd more accessible, please let me know either in thread or by PM and I'll do my best to make it happen. :)

Here is some information:

Complete the crossword by posting answers in this thread.

I'll endeavour to update the grid and respond to answers at least twice daily.

I've attempted to follow Ximenean-ish rules -- and when I say ish, I mean ISH. Really it's more Libertarian in style on account of my amateurism and lack of skill.

Feel free to tell me how I could've done it better/what I got wrong.

I'll post a new crossword on the first of each month until people get bored/stop playing.

Here are some guidelines:

Try to have fun.

Answer up to five clues a day (if you go for 5 and only get 3 right, then feel free to have another 2 goes)

Work together or on your own.

Bemoan the clues.

It's encouraged (but not necessary) to parse the clues when answering as it'll help me learn where I am going wrong/right.

Discussion of clue construction is also encouraged, but not necessary.

I may bump the thread occasionally if it drops off the radar, but I'll let it die if no-one gives it a crack after 7 days.

Try to have fun.

Here is a plea:

Don't shout at me too much if you find I've messed something up--instead, tell me where I went wrong.

Here's where you take over:

Good luck :)

HarryHoskins
11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Note:

41a is an American spelling

EDT:

18a has an alternate spelling (apologies for not seeing this sooner.)

alexaherself
11-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Only just started, here, and in some difficulty already, even with what looked like they might be "easy anagrams"! :o

I suspect that 14 Across might be "On the mend" (simply because it means "convalescing" and it's 2, 3, 4, but I don't see how the component parts match the remaining components of the clue).

I think 40 Down will be "Alcove". A for "a"; L (learner, for pupil), CO (company, for firm) and I'm not at all clear why the remaining VE refers to "date" ... but I think it must. Possibly referring to "VE day", but maybe that would be "day" rather than "date", in the clue? "Alcove", of course, is a "recess".

It will doubtless take me time to get used to your style of setting clues.

Thank you for posting this!

HarryHoskins
11-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Welcome, Alexa. Great to have you here and playing. :)

I suspect that 14 Across might be "On the mend" (simply because it means "convalescing" and it's 2, 3, 4, but I don't see how the component parts match the remaining components of the clue).

You suspect correct!

Bit of a tough parse on this one, especially as is a two word surroundicator which I'm not quite sure is kosher yet:

Tough guys - HE MEN
subdued by - surroundicator
tiddly - ON (as in drunk)
politico - TD (cdxwda)
convalescing - def

(ON(T(HEMEN)D)

I think 40 Down will be "Alcove". A for "a"; L (learner, for pupil), CO (company, for firm) and I'm not at all clear why the remaining VE refers to "date" ... but I think it must. Possibly referring to "VE day", but maybe that would be "day" rather than "date", in the clue? "Alcove", of course, is a "recess".

Perfectly parsed! :)

Yup - VE should've been day not date. Usually I make one error a grid - let's hope that one was it.

It will doubtless take me time to get used to your style of setting clues.

Thank you for posting this!

No worries - great to have another person giving it a go and I hope it's more enjoyable than frustrating. :)

alexaherself
11-01-2013, 10:01 PM
42 Across must be "Leo McKern" (anagram of "conker elm", and "player" meaning actor).

alexaherself
11-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Ah ... "he men" was easy, I should have worked that out. I hadn't got as far as "TD" for "politico" - yes, that's all good.

I hope it's more enjoyable than frustrating.

Oh, I'm sure it will be; thank you. :)

mirandashell
11-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi Alexa!

Yeh Crossword! Thanks Harry.

mirandashell
11-01-2013, 10:15 PM
7 across - megabucks?

alexaherself
11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
If it helps anyone, I think 10 down is going to be "Cause A Something" with a 7-letter something ... and I think it's an anagram (because most of the letters of "casuals" are in there. And I think that "and no heart" might be "AD" ("and" with the middle letter missing"), but I'm still not quite there.

My first thought here was an anagram of "casuals" and "acne" and "no" and the whole meaning might be "heart may do this", e.g. "palpitate" or something ... but I can't quite make that work, either. :o

The letters of "acne" must surely be in there, though?

HarryHoskins
11-01-2013, 11:01 PM
42 Across must be "Leo McKern" (anagram of "conker elm", and "player" meaning actor).

Nice moves, Alexa! :)

HarryHoskins
11-01-2013, 11:02 PM
7 across - megabucks?

Bang on the money, Miranda! :)

Xelebes
11-02-2013, 01:00 AM
8d: GREYHAIR?
9d: BOXING DAY?

Ramshackle
11-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Terrible at these but going to give it a go.

35 across - tip up?
20 down - dasher?

HarryHoskins
11-02-2013, 01:39 AM
8d: GREYHAIR?

Nopers, X - though I see how you got there. :)

9d: BOXING DAY?

Shooting wide on this one (worth remembering that - unless it's a hidden clue - there shouldn't be too many words/word strings in the clue that will match the answer). :)

HarryHoskins
11-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Terrible at these but going to give it a go.

Very glad you're here and giving it a go, RS. :)

35 across - tip up?

Nice thinking - but you've put it past the post on this one. :)

20 down - dasher?

Goal! :)

alexaherself
11-02-2013, 03:47 PM
23 Across must be "Athens" (capital city + place in Georgia)?

alexaherself
11-02-2013, 04:14 PM
And 10 Down is "Cause a scandal" (anagram - nearly got it yesterday!)

alexaherself
11-02-2013, 04:18 PM
And on the strength of having now discovered a letter in 19 Across, it must be "Miser" ("tight-arse") ... Morning I'd Stop Eating Rubbish (starters = initial letters).

alexaherself
11-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Just a question (and please excuse it), but is it possible that in 27 down, "callous" is a typo for "callus"? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-012.gif

HarryHoskins
11-02-2013, 06:05 PM
23 Across must be "Athens" (capital city + place in Georgia)?

Well placed! :)

Yup - Georgia USA (where R.E.M are from)

And 10 Down is "Cause a scandal" (anagram - nearly got it yesterday!)

Nicely done!

And on the strength of having now discovered a letter in 19 Across, it must be "Miser" ("tight-arse") ... Morning I'd Stop Eating Rubbish (starters = initial letters).

A perfectly parsed hatrick - nice stuff, Alexa! :)

HarryHoskins
11-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Just a question (and please excuse it), but is it possible that in 27 down, "callous" is a typo for "callus"? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-012.gif

No need to be excused - all questions welcomed (and it's likely the mistake will be mine). However, in this case it's not a typo. I believe that callus is the nounal spelling for the hardened skin, and callous is the adjectival spelling meaning (amongst other things) hardened. :)

alexaherself
11-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I believe that callus is the nounal spelling for the hardened skin, and callous is the adjectival spelling meaning (amongst other things) hardened.

Yes indeed ... I was thinking a noun might be expected there, but it doesn't have to be so in a crossword clue, of course: thank you for the clarification. :)

HarryHoskins
11-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes indeed ... I was thinking a noun might be expected there, but it doesn't have to be so in a crossword clue, of course: thank you for the clarification. :)

Ah - apologies, Alexa. I was thinking about the cryptic grammar rather than the surface grammar and generally being dense. :)

Yup - you're right, in the surface reading callous is a noun (variant spelling of callus - as shown in OCED - to the rescue!) meaning a hardened bit of skin and in the cryptic reading it's an adjective meaning something like hardened. The parts of speech in a definition have to match the answer - but they can be different things on the surface. And, of course, the surface reading has to make sense which, if it weren't for the lucky variant spelling, would mean a clue re-write.

Of course, whether I realised any of this before you pointed it out, or whether it was my lack of knowledge and bad spelling is anybodys guess ... it was the latter.

Thanks for keeping a close eye on things, Alexa - It's massively helpful to me to see where I'm blundering so I can learn from my mistakes. I'd be especially grateful if you could watch out for any definition/answer part of speech mismatches as that's something I am just learning about. :)

alexaherself
11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
I'd be especially grateful if you could watch out for any definition/answer part of speech mismatches as that's something I am just learning about.

Will try ... always assuming that I can do any more at all! :o

I'll try "Water cannon" for 1 Across ...

alexaherself
11-02-2013, 09:38 PM
And my last for today: "Angle grinder" for 4 Down.

"Angle" = approach, then "grin" (smile) and "der" ("the" in German). I haven't actually checked but I've heard of an angle grinder and it certainly sounds like some kind of tool, maybe as used by picture-framers or builders or someone? Nice clue, anyway.

HarryHoskins
11-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Will try ... always assuming that I can do any more at all! :o

Awww, don't be so modest. :)

I'll try "Water cannon" for 1 Across ...

Hose-tastic! :)

And my last for today: "Angle grinder" for 4 Down.

"Angle" = approach, then "grin" (smile) and "der" ("the" in German). I haven't actually checked but I've heard of an angle grinder and it certainly sounds like some kind of tool, maybe as used by picture-framers or builders or someone? Nice clue, anyway.

ajaye
11-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Hi Harry and all :)

9dn - Better Man = he that walks away from a fight & sounds like bettor man = punter

ajaye
11-03-2013, 12:18 PM
15ac - Outside Left - Out (L off lout) side (faction) left (deserted) = position in soccer - or football as you Brits say :)

ajaye
11-03-2013, 02:57 PM
6dn - National Health Service - Service (go over) Health (form - before, so goes before Service) National (race, ie Grand National - begins, so is first word) = institution

ajaye
11-03-2013, 03:05 PM
43dn - credo - co (business) around red (collectivism) = beliefs

47ac - emery boards - as in files, but I don't get the conflict?

alexaherself
11-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Oooh, well done, Ajaye! :D

I can offer bits of the top-left corner ...

1 Down: "Warmonger" (metaphorical hawk - warm (relaxing) + on (atop) + ger (Mongolian yurt)

3. Down: "Rhine" (it's a "flower", i.e. it flows; Ne is presumably the chemical symbol for Neon, I don't understand the Rhi bit :o )

12 Across: "Reading matter" (Town in Berkshire + "issue")

alexaherself
11-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Anagram of "orders maybe" ;)

I was looking for anagrams of "maybe during", meaning "files orders" - never likely without an S among the letters! :o

ajaye
11-03-2013, 03:39 PM
^ ah yes! thanks alexa :)

HarryHoskins
11-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey, AJ :)

9dn - Better Man = he that walks away from a fight & sounds like better man = punter

Well delivered! :

15ac - Outside Left - Out (L off lout) side (faction) left (deserted) = position in soccer - or football as you Brits say :)

Nicely done! :)

6dn - National Health Service - Service (go over) Health (form - before, so goes before Service) National (race, ie Grand National - begins, so is first word) = institution

43dn - credo - co (business) around red (collectivism) = beliefs

Right on!

Five fer five - well played, AJ! :)

HarryHoskins
11-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Oooh, well done, Ajaye! :D

I can offer bits of the top-left corner ...

1 Down: "Warmonger" (metaphorical hawk - warm (relaxing) + on (atop) + ger (Mongolian yurt)

Perfectly Parsed! :)

3. Down: "Rhine" (it's a "flower", i.e. it flows; Ne is presumably the chemical symbol for Neon, I don't understand the Rhi bit :o )

Scored!

neon light ray - fodder
regularly - alternaticator
set up - reverseicator
to germinate - definicator
flower - def

(-n)E(-o)N(-l)I(-g)H(-t)R(-a)(-y)<

This clue is a bit cheeky as the Y of ray could be said to be unfair as there is no particator to show not all the letters in the fodder string are used. I need to find out whether this is just cheeky or a total no-no.

12 Across: "Reading matter" (Town in Berkshire + "issue")

Spot on, Alexa! :)

alexaherself
11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
neon light ray - fodder
regularly - alternaticator
set up - reverseicator
to germinate - definicator
flower - def

(-n)E(-o)N(-l)I(-g)H(-t)R(-a)(-y)<

This clue is a bit cheeky as the Y of ray could be said to be unfair as there is no particator to show not all the letters in the fodder string are used.

Oops, I don't understand this one at all. I'll look at it again when I've had a little more sleep, though. :o

2 Down must be "Twatted" (I hadn't heard of it, but something called the Urban Dictionary says it can mean "very drunk". "Watt" is a unit (of power) and "Ted", around it, is probably an abbreviation of "Teddy Boy"?

HarryHoskins
11-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Oops, I don't understand this one at all. I'll look at it again when I've had a little more sleep, though. :o

The key wordplay indicators are regularly which is an alternate letter selector and set up which is a reversal instruction (the up bit is used because this was a down clue, so the letters return upward.

Basically it's every other letter of 'neon light ray' reversed. However, and this is where the potential cheekiness/unfairness comes in, the last letter in the word string 'Y' should perhaps be included as a didn't include a part word indicator such as 'some' or 'part of' or 'a bit of'. :)

2 Down must be "Twatted" (I hadn't heard of it, but something called the Urban Dictionary says it can mean "very drunk". "Watt" is a unit (of power) and "Ted", around it, is probably an abbreviation of "Teddy Boy"?

Perfectly parsed, Alexa! :)

I'm more lax with the AW xwd in terms of slang (and rudeness) than I would be elsewhere.

alexaherself
11-03-2013, 07:55 PM
The key wordplay indicators are regularly which is an alternate letter selector

I see ... thank you ("regularly" kind of as in "at regular intervals"? Have not seen this before :o ), yes the rest makes sense, given that. :)

Well, my last for today ...

25 Across: "Unhang" - initial letters of Unusual Notes Having Attended Naff G8.

Not easy to find a word to fit the letters of 5 Down? :evil

HarryHoskins
11-03-2013, 08:58 PM
"regularly" kind of as in "at regular intervals"?

Yup - other indicators for this type of clue are oddly, even, alternately ...

Well, my last for today ...

25 Across: "Unhang" - initial letters of Unusual Notes Having Attended Naff G8.

Bang on! :)

Not easy to find a word to fit the letters of 5 Down? :evil

... that's why it's easily spotted. :D

mirandashell
11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Unhang?

alexaherself
11-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Unhang?

I think it's ok, Miranda? You can certainly "unhang" a gate, even if not commonly a painting ... and there's this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unhang

mirandashell
11-03-2013, 09:15 PM
No it's cool. It's just not a word I've ever heard or seen used.

It's a very inelegant word.

ajaye
11-04-2013, 02:33 AM
11dn - starters gun - rod being slang for gun, get you going being def.

ps - I've never been aware of alternate cluing either, glad to add it to my armoury :)

alexaherself
11-04-2013, 02:47 AM
Ah ... starter's gun, well done. I was wondering about "gun" since we had "G _ _" but didn't know it could be "rod". Well, we have some useful-looking letters for the top half, now, but more to do "downstairs" tomorrow. ;)

ajaye
11-04-2013, 03:38 AM
13ac - Satsuma - anagram of as mustard without (no) rd (way)

ajaye
11-04-2013, 04:04 AM
16ac - gods acre - anagram of dogs (hound) and ?? care (protected, briefly ie without the d ??) = boneyard

HarryHoskins
11-04-2013, 04:25 AM
It's a very inelegant word.

Agreed :)

HarryHoskins
11-04-2013, 04:25 AM
11dn - starters gun - rod being slang for gun, get you going being def.

Bang bang! :)

13ac - Satsuma - anagram of as mustard without (no) rd (way)

Perfectly parsed, AJ! :)

16ac - gods acre - anagram of dogs (hound) and ?? care (protected, briefly ie without the d ??) = boneyard

Correct-a-mundo! :)

Rampant - reversicator (as in rearing)
hound - DOG
(briefly) - curltailicator (and joke about a rampant dog not being able to resist)
protected - SACRED
boneyard - def

(GOD<)(SACRE(-d)

Xelebes
11-04-2013, 06:40 AM
8d: if not GREYHAIR, how about GOSLINGS?

5d: NHANDU (Brazillian Red & White Tarantula)

HarryHoskins
11-04-2013, 03:49 PM
8d: if not GREYHAIR, how about GOSLINGS?

Nopers. :)

5d: NHANDU (Brazillian Red & White Tarantula)

Right word! (wrong Nhandu - my ones a South American Ostrich).

Sometimes in a grid you can't help but put in obscure stuff - when it's really tough I try to make the clue easier (hence the letters of the clue being in plain sight). :)

alexaherself
11-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm guessing and struggling, now. :o

I see words which fit 7 Down and 8 Down but can't tie any of them in to the clues.

I'll try "Grotto" for 31 Across (it's a "whimsical chamber", in a sense?).

I'll also try "A bit on the side" for 45 Across, "simply because it fits", though that isn't "reasoning" at all. :o

And I can even try "Praiseworthy" for 26 Down, though I don't like it: it has the letters of "priory" in there, and in the right order, but isn't really close enough in meaning to "valuable", and I can't explain the other letters at all. I wanted an anagram of "cartel" inside "priory", here, meaning "valuable", so I liked the Y at the end, but I can't find one! The only other word I can think of that fits is "Creditworthy" and I prefer "Praiseworthy" to that. :o

Not doing so well, here, today ...

Xelebes
11-04-2013, 06:00 PM
7 down: MERITED?

An idea is merited if it is pulled out of 80 000 different ideas.

HarryHoskins
11-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I'll try "Grotto" for 31 Across (it's a "whimsical chamber", in a sense?).

Right on, Alexa! :)

Yup - I was riffing on the fantastical appearances of grotto's which, when created by people, are full of whimsy. The of commerce part is me poking fun at the way Santa and his temporary house in shopping centres up and down the land is far from whimsical.

I'll also try "A bit on the side" for 45 Across, "simply because it fits", though that isn't "reasoning" at all. :o

You're right to try for you are right! :)

Don't use - subtracticator
filthy - anagrind (as the subtraction fodder is out of order)
talk - TALK (letters to be subtracted)
like that baton - FODDER
twirling - anagrind
party - SIDE
lover - def

(LIKETHATBATON(-talk)*)(SIDE)

And I can even try "Praiseworthy" for 26 Down, though I don't like it: it has the letters of "priory" in there, and in the right order, but isn't really close enough in meaning to "valuable", and I can't explain the other letters at all. I wanted an anagram of "cartel" inside "priory", here, meaning "valuable", so I liked the Y at the end, but I can't find one! The only other word I can think of that fits is "Creditworthy" and I prefer "Praiseworthy" to that. :o

Well, you have the second word correct in all attempts - but I think I've thrown you off the scent by using a posicator that's masquerading as a definicator. In other words, you're looking at the wrong end of the clue for the def. :)

HarryHoskins
11-04-2013, 07:21 PM
7 down: MERITED?

An idea is merited if it is pulled out of 80 000 different ideas.

Nailed it - different working than me (and nice thinking, too), but it goes in the grid all the same. :)

Xelebes
11-04-2013, 07:58 PM
24 down a NARDOO, Australian water-clover?

39 down is NEEDIER? (I'm taking "beyond poor" as the definition.)

alexaherself
11-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Don't use - subtracticator
filthy - anagrind (as the subtraction fodder is out of order)
talk - TALK (letters to be subtracted)
like that baton - FODDER
twirling - anagrind
party - SIDE
lover - def

Ah yes ... thank you - of course. I should have worked this out: I'd seen the letters of "baton" in there, and knew that filthy and twirling could each be an anagram indicator, but still hadn't got as far as seeing "lover" as the definer. :o

I had thought of and rejected "merited" among other words. :o

(Where does the "80,000" come into it?).

I'll try "Needier" for 39 Down, because it fits and kind of means "beyond poor" and we're obviously looking for a comparative adjective there, but I don't know about the Glasgow geezer and his missus. :o

alexaherself
11-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Apologies - I was interrupted, typing the above, and hadn't seen that Xelebes had already suggested "needier". :o

Xelebes
11-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Apologies - I was interrupted, typing the above, and hadn't seen that Xelebes had already suggested "needier". :o

I'm figuring that is a reference to a Glaswegian "Ned".

HarryHoskins
11-04-2013, 09:24 PM
24 down a NARDOO, Australian water-clover?

Wide of the post on this one, X. :)

HarryHoskins
11-04-2013, 09:24 PM
39 down is NEEDIER? (I'm taking "beyond poor" as the definition.)

I'll try "Needier" for 39 Down, because it fits and kind of means "beyond poor" and we're obviously looking for a comparative adjective there, but I don't know about the Glasgow geezer and his missus. :o

Snap! :)

I'm glad this clue fell today as I've just been told it doesn't work and was going to re-clue it. It's a poor 'accent-led' homophone:

Glasgow - Glasgow accenticator
mans rebuttal to wife - NO DEAR
is beyond poor - def

So needier is meant to sound like no dear said in a Glasgow accent. Except it doesn't quite work. Maybe Geordie is a better match - why not do what I did when writing the clue and walk around saying needier alot until you convince yourself it sounds like No Dear in Glaswegian. Hours of fun. :)

HarryHoskins
11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
(Where does the "80,000" come into it?).

just - def
think - DEEM
up - revericator
over - surroundicator
80,000 - R (Medieval Roman Numerals)
ideas intially - I
then cut - subtraction instruction
them - fodder
down to one - second part of subtraction instruction
! - EM for length, torturous nature of the construction and the medieval Roman numeral (incidentally, 80 is also R in MRN)

(ME(R)(I)(T)ED<)

alexaherself
11-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Thank you - this was the part I didn't know at all. Most of the rest I can understand. If I had spotted that "merited" also means "just", I wouldn't have rejected it so quickly, anyway! :o

Xelebes
11-04-2013, 11:22 PM

I'm glad this clue fell today as I've just been told it doesn't work and was going to re-clue it. It's a poor 'accent-led' homophone:

Glasgow - Glasgow accenticator
mans rebuttal to wife - NO DEAR
is beyond poor - def

So needier is meant to sound like no dear said in a Glasgow accent. Except it doesn't quite work. Maybe Geordie is a better match - why not do what I did when writing the clue and walk around saying needier alot until you convince yourself it sounds like No Dear in Glaswegian. Hours of fun. :)

Familiarity with the Wegian accent would be necessary.

Xelebes
11-04-2013, 11:24 PM
! - EM for length, torturous nature of the construction and the medieval Roman numeral (incidentally, 80 is also R in MRN)

The only 80 000 I know in Roman numerals is the top-barred LXXX. Don't know much of the medieval system if there ever was one (which apparently there is.)

(Looking it up, R means 80. Top-barred R would be 80 000.)

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Thank you - this was the part I didn't know at all. Most of the rest I can understand. If I had spotted that "merited" also means "just", I wouldn't have rejected it so quickly, anyway! :o

No worries. One of the misdricects in this clue was that 'just' is such a little word that was knitted into quite a familiar phrase 'just think up etc' so hopefully it was hard to spot, too.

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Familiarity with the Wegian accent would be necessary.

True and not just the solver! I'm awful with accents but I convinced myself it worked - but it doesn't. Homophones are a bit of a dying art as Xwds go global with tinternet as they're deemed unfair due to people in one place not being familiar with the accents of another place. Still, I have to say I like 'em (when I write them right, of course).

The only 80 000 I know in Roman numerals is the top-barred LXXX. Don't know much of the medieval system if there ever was one (which apparently there is.)

(Looking it up, R means 80. Top-barred R would be 80 000.)

I'm not familiar with the medieval system either - but I do own a handy book called Chamber's Dictionary of Crossword Abbreviations (cdxwda) which I use to find 'kosher' abbreviations of which 80 for R & 80,000 for R, er, are, two. If you're a cruciverbalist, (solver or setter), cdxwda and also The Chamber's Crossword Dictionary are pretty much essential.

Xelebes
11-05-2013, 02:39 AM
True and not just the solver! I'm awful with accents but I convinced myself it worked - but it doesn't. Homophones are a bit of a dying art as Xwds go global with tinternet as they're deemed unfair due to people in one place not being familiar with the accents of another place. Still, I have to say I like 'em (when I write them right, of course).

It would also be unfair of me to say in Newfie accent where boy and bee are often homophones, but not always and similarly boy and buy are homophones with the same problem.

alexaherself
11-05-2013, 04:06 AM
My last for today ...

8 Down has to be "Gossiped", because it means the same as "gassed". Where the rabbit and the firedamp come in, I still just don't know, but I've been looking at this for too long not to post it. (Firedamp is methane, apparently?).

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 04:26 AM
It would also be unfair of me to say in Newfie accent where boy and bee are often homophones, but not always and similarly boy and buy are homophones with the same problem.

I'll remember that, X. :)

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 04:27 AM
My last for today ...

8 Down has to be "Gossiped", because it means the same as "gassed". Where the rabbit and the firedamp come in, I still just don't know, but I've been looking at this for too long not to post it. (Firedamp is methane, apparently?).

Bingo! :)

Now, you're not going to like this one, Alexa ...

gassed - def
rabbit - GOSSIP
some - part wordicator
firedamp - fodder

(GOSSIP(-fire(ED)amp)

Yup - rabbit is a slang term for chat/gossip and the part wordicator is very imprecise. Cheeky and bording on the unfair I think. Still, on the plus side here's rough a run down of the clue types left to solve:

Cryptic - 1

Charade - 4 or 5

Double Def - 1

Surround - 1

Subtraction Charade - 4

Reversal subtraction Charade - 1

Reversal container charade - 1

Surround Charade - 2

Insertion Charade - 2

Anagram surround - 1

Anagram - 1

Semi &lit - 1

BTW - is it me or has the whole forum shifted down the page? I swear we used to be above Office party ... :)

ajaye
11-05-2013, 11:19 AM
27ac - keep ones head screwed on :)

ajaye
11-05-2013, 11:25 AM
28dn - whorl - tart (whore, with last letter removed, before the L (from extreme - first letter - of lovemaking) = coil

ajaye
11-05-2013, 11:30 AM
or is 27ac have ones head screwed on?

ajaye
11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
26dn - cringeworthy?
32ac - noodles?

alexaherself
11-05-2013, 03:28 PM
26dn - cringeworthy?

Looks very good for "sickening", though I don't quite see how its bits come together. :o

You're on sparkling form, Ajaye!

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
28dn - whorl - tart (whore, with last letter removed, before the L (from extreme - first letter - of lovemaking) = coil

Not sure if my last letter deletion here is grammatically correct.

or is 27ac have ones head screwed on?

It is!

Bit of a difficult one to clue this. It's a sort of cryptic double def so:

Maybe - def by example
do this in a menage et tois - def
to be sensible - def

Not sure I have the parts of speech match up here - I think the answer is a verbal phrase which I've tried to match with the do in the first def and to be in the second. But, as you guys are probably aware, I'm just coming to grips with grammar so if I have it wrong feel free to tell me/offer suggestions. :)

26dn - cringeworthy?

Nailed it!

sickening - def
cartel - RING
break into - inserticator
church - CE (cdxwda)
to get - posicator
valuable - WORTHY

(C(RING)E)(WORTHY)

32ac - noodles?

Nice moves! :)

Uncover - headicator
an - Fodder
abundance of - OODLES
food - def

(-a)N)(OODLES)

alexaherself
11-05-2013, 04:04 PM
33 Down: "stringers" (journalists) = stingers (jellyfish) around this R, again, which was 80,000 in another clue but is probably 80 here, I think, without the bar on the top?

38 Across: A "recliner" is a sort of chair, and will have to do, though once again I don't see why. :o

ajaye
11-05-2013, 04:05 PM
38ac - recliner? as in = chair, and ship is a liner, but can't see where the rec comes from

alexaherself
11-05-2013, 04:08 PM
ship is a liner

Of course it is ... I hadn't even seen that. :o

22 Down is an easy anagram, would you believe? It's "devoted friend" (I couldn't see it until we had the "V").

alexaherself
11-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Surely we must be able to get 21 Across, now? Very sore might be "red" and the "n" at the end can be "tip (first letter) of nipple" - it just has to mean "milked again", and a word starting with "re" looks good for "again"?

ajaye
11-05-2013, 04:31 PM
22 Down is an easy anagram, would you believe? It's "devoted friend" (I couldn't see it until we had the "V").

well done Alexa, I was on the wrong trail, looking for some breed of dog :)

ajaye
11-05-2013, 04:36 PM
the d helped with 21ac - redrawn - red raw (very sore) + n (from nipple) = milked again

17dn has to be Alamo, yes? don't know why, apart from the defeat clue

alexaherself
11-05-2013, 04:54 PM
the d helped with 21ac - redrawn - red raw (very sore) + n (from nipple) = milked again

Good - yes. (I did wonder if "very sore" was a bit strong for just "red"!).

Yes, well done ... "a la" = "in the manner of" (French), not sure why "mo" is "repeating different"? ("Modus operandi"?? "Month"??) (or maybe "modus operandi" has similar meaning to "a la" and is therefore repeating the same concept in a different way???).

24 Down is a baffler: not many words/names fit these letters? ("Nestor"??).

alexaherself
11-05-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm going to try "add-on" for 35 Across. I just think it's too good to be wrong: even the hyphen's in the right place.

An add-on could be a service charge(?), and "don" is certainly a "fellow" (of Oxbridge colleges, or just as a man's name?). I'm not sure why AD is "late" or "eating late" ...

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 05:46 PM
33 Down: "stringers" (journalists) = stingers (jellyfish) around this R, again, which was 80,000 in another clue but is probably 80 here, I think, without the bar on the top?

Perfectly parsed, Alexa!

And, yup, it's the old MRN R again. hence why I gave the hint earlier. :)

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 05:46 PM
38 Across: A "recliner" is a sort of chair, and will have to do, though once again I don't see why. :o

38ac - recliner? as in = chair, and ship is a liner, but can't see where the rec comes from

Sand edges of - edgicator (no typo on of)
torpedo - WRECK
ship - LINER
chair - def

(-w(REC)-k)(LINER)

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Nice moves! :)

I swear I made a deliberate attempt for there to be more naked anagrams in this grid - but they all turned out to be a bit more complex. Will rectify this for December's grid.

HarryHoskins

HarryHoskins

Yuppers! :)

Yes, well done ... "a la" = "in the manner of" (French) .... maybe "modus operandi" has similar meaning to "a la" and is therefore repeating the same concept in a different way???).

Correct. :)

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 05:48 PM
24 Down is a baffler: not many words/names fit these letters? ("Nestor"??).

Not Nestor, no. :)

I'm going to try "add-on" for 35 Across. I just think it's too good to be wrong: even the hyphen's in the right place.

An add-on could be a service charge(?), and "don" is certainly a "fellow" (of Oxbridge colleges, or just as a man's name?). I'm not sure why AD is "late" or "eating late" ...

Right on, Alexa! :)

A - A
fellow - DON
eating - surroundicator
late - D (cdxwda - for Dead, I believe)
incurs - definicator
service charge - def

(A)(D(D)ON)

Xelebes
11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
There are only three possible words that come from the solver for 24a:

NESTOR - Ruled out
NOSTOC
NASION

And I don't think it's any of the other two.

Hm.

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 07:37 PM
There are only three possible words that come from the solver for 24a:

NESTOR - Ruled out
NOSTOC
NASION

And I don't think it's any of the other two.

Hm.

I use Chamber's 12th Dictionary as my main resource and - in addition to the above - there are also the words:

NESIOT
NOSTOI
NOSTOS

This particular clue is a semi &lit and so the whole sentence defines the answer as well as having a subsiduary single word definition and wordplay as well. Basically, I'm giving you three ways to get one answer as it's an uncommon (outside literature and Greek class) word. :)

Xelebes
11-05-2013, 08:49 PM
With that clue, it is NOSTOS. Parsing leaves me with nothing.

Xelebes
11-05-2013, 09:15 PM
18a: MAUDLE: She = MAUD, confusion is not getting something in, I guess.

HarryHoskins
11-05-2013, 09:24 PM
With that clue, it is NOSTOS. Parsing leaves me with nothing.

Bingo! :)

Hopefully I can help with the parse:

Poem about lad returning drunk from Australia? (6)

Poem - 1st def
about - (showing a definition by example of a Nostos will follow/is in progress)
lad - SON
returning - 1st reversal instruction (& an up reversal by implied linkage to the 2nd reversal instruction)
drunk - SOT
from Australia - 2nd reversal instruction (as this is a down clue the letters must come up so the reversal is from the south)
? - QM for def by example

(NOS<)(TOS<)

The clue as a whole also reads as a def by example for a Nostos as it's a poem about a return or a return journey. :)

18a: MAUDLE: She = MAUD, confusion is not getting something in, I guess.

I likes your thinking, X, but it's not right. This one's a straight cryptic with no wordplay. However, in just checking it I see there is an alternate spelling which may have been throwing people off the scent. Apologies for not mentioning that in the 2nd post noted section. I'll add it there now. :)

alexaherself
11-05-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm very stuck now. :o

If it helps anyone else, I'm wondering whether the "detailed argument" in 29 Across might be "RO" ("row" de-tailed), but it's not helping me.

ajaye
11-06-2013, 03:40 AM
27dn - hard as ... nails?
46ac - side order?

HarryHoskins
11-06-2013, 04:51 AM
I'm very stuck now. :o

If it helps anyone else, I'm wondering whether the "detailed argument" in 29 Across might be "RO" ("row" de-tailed), but it's not helping me.

On the right track here ... but not quite the right sort of argument. :)

HarryHoskins
11-06-2013, 04:51 AM
27dn - hard as ... nails?

Yes ma'am! :)

rigorous - HARD
shelling of - edgicator
armoured - fodder
Manx - curtailicator
gastropds - SNAILS
causes - definicator
callous - def

(HARD)(A(-rmoure)-d)(SNAILS)

46ac - side order?

No ma'am! (But getting close) :)

alexaherself
11-06-2013, 03:07 PM
"Side plate", then? (But I don't know why, and don't really like the position of the P very much, though it isn't impossible).

ajaye
11-06-2013, 03:16 PM
44ac - iced tea

which, with side plate, could make 30dn end in ...top, which would go with the summit part of the clue

HarryHoskins
11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
"Side plate", then? (But I don't know why, and don't really like the position of the P very much, though it isn't impossible).

Well served-up, Alexa! :)

HarryHoskins
11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
44ac - iced tea

Refreshing, AJ! :)

(I think the clue needed a QM after tea to show synonym by type)

which, with side plate, could make 30dn end in ...top, which would go with the summit part of the clue

Not top - but you're on the right track. :)

alexaherself
11-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the helpful comments. :)

So ...

29 Across: "Ratify" - it's "tiff" without the last f inside "ray", which perhaps means "suggestion" for some reason which escapes me for the moment. :o

30 Down: "Fingertip" - the definer is "sensitive point". I think "ger" will be "man raised" because it's "Reg" backwards in a down clue, and "fin" has to be "judge cut short", though I don't know why (it would be nice if there were a famous "Judge Finn" or someone?). :o

HarryHoskins
11-06-2013, 07:00 PM
29 Across: "Ratify" - it's "tiff" without the last f inside "ray", which perhaps means "suggestion" for some reason which escapes me for the moment. :o

Spot on! :)

I pondered over the use of ray as it didn't seem to work - but I think it's a 'gleam' sort of thing, a hint, a suggestion. Iffy, but Chamber's has it as a synonym (even though that doesn't always makes things synonymous).

30 Down: "Fingertip" - the definer is "sensitive point". I think "ger" will be "man raised" because it's "Reg" backwards in a down clue, and "fin" has to be "judge cut short", though I don't know why (it would be nice if there were a famous "Judge Finn" or someone?). :o

Nailed it! :)

Sensitive point - def
man - REG
raised - reversicator
after - posicator
judge - (noun in surface, verb in cryptic) FIND
cut short - curtailicator
summit - TIP

(FIN(-d)(GER<)(TIP)

mirandashell
11-06-2013, 07:05 PM
'ray of light' = suggestion?

HarryHoskins
11-06-2013, 09:40 PM
'ray of light' = suggestion?

Ah, yes - I reckon that'd be it, Miranda. A ray of light as a 'suggestion' of better things to come. :)

alexaherself
11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Ooooh, whoda thunk? 41 Across turns out to be an easy one, after all ...

"Nerve Center" - e.g. The Vatican is one, for Catholics; anagram of reverence around NT for "bible". (This must have been the one you mentioned somewhere was a US spelling?)

alexaherself
11-06-2013, 10:35 PM
So 34 Down must surely be "Schemata", then? They're "plans", certainly. I'm not sure about the cryptic bits, but I'll come back to them ... :o

alexaherself
11-06-2013, 10:41 PM
I still can't seem to get 37 Down, though.

I strongly suspect that "champion" is going to be a verb, rather than a noun, and that it will have either RO or maybe UA in there somewhere, for "gold upset". I have no idea where "expecting" will come into it, though. :o

alexaherself
11-06-2013, 10:57 PM
We might try "Actuate", for that one?

It has UA in it, for "gold upset", and (in a sense) it might mean "start", as a definer.

This leaves ACT and TE unaccounted for ... I'm wondering now if "champion" might just be the letter C?

Ah no, hold on, "race" is "TT", isn't it? I've seen this before - it's for motorbikes on the Isle of Man, or something?

So, "champion" is "ace". Yes - this is all good, now: it's "UA" in "TT" in "ACE", and "expecting" was presumably another "container" (as in pregnancy, perhaps?). :)

HarryHoskins
11-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Ooooh, whoda thunk? 41 Across turns out to be an easy one, after all ...

"Nerve Center" - e.g. The Vatican is one, for Catholics; anagram of reverence around NT for "bible". (This must have been the one you mentioned somewhere was a US spelling?)

Perfectly parsed, Alexa! :)

So 34 Down must surely be "Schemata", then? They're "plans", certainly. I'm not sure about the cryptic bits, but I'll come back to them ... :o

Right on!

plans - def
to edge - HEM
into - inserticator
jazz singing - SCAT
end in - lastlettericator
drama - A

(SC(HEM)AT)(A)

I still can't seem to get 37 Down, though.

I strongly suspect that "champion" is going to be a verb, rather than a noun, and that it will have either RO or maybe UA in there somewhere, for "gold upset". I have no idea where "expecting" will come into it, though. :o

We might try "Actuate", for that one?

It has UA in it, for "gold upset", and (in a sense) it might mean "start", as a definer.

This leaves ACT and TE unaccounted for ... I'm wondering now if "champion" might just be the letter C?

Ah no, hold on, "race" is "TT", isn't it? I've seen this before - it's for motorbikes on the Isle of Man, or something?

So, "champion" is "ace". Yes - this is all good, now: it's "UA" in "TT" in "ACE", and "expecting" was presumably another "container" (as in pregnancy, perhaps?). :)

Super nice workings! :)

alexaherself
11-07-2013, 12:59 AM
to edge - HEM

Yes, of course ... I should have seen this, having found "schemata".

jazz singing - SCAT

Ooh, so I see (from Google and Wiki): I hadn't heard of this one. :o

alexaherself
11-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Only two to go?

36 Across is rather entertaining, but I won't post it because I've done my five today. And 18 Across I'm completely stuck with, though I must say the clue certainly looks "honest" enough. I think we'll be finished by tomorrow, anyway. It's been a pleasure. ;)

ajaye
11-07-2013, 02:04 AM
36ac - coarse - co (business) arse (waste disposal unit :)) = base

HarryHoskins
11-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Ooh, so I see (from Google and Wiki): I hadn't heard of this one. :o

Apologies for sending you to the internet to search for scat. :D

Only two to go?

36 Across is rather entertaining, but I won't post it because I've done my five today. And 18 Across I'm completely stuck with, though I must say the clue certainly looks "honest" enough. I think we'll be finished by tomorrow, anyway. It's been a pleasure. ;)

It's been a pleasure having you, Alexa. ;)

HarryHoskins
11-07-2013, 02:08 AM
36ac - coarse - co (business) arse (waste disposal unit :)) = base

ajaye
11-07-2013, 09:26 AM
18 ac - caddie - woman's name and golfer's shadow that doesn't play

alexaherself
11-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Ah, I see ... (another one I looked at and rejected, there: I had no idea that "Caddie" was a girls' name :o ). Well done, Ajaye. :)

HarryHoskins
11-07-2013, 03:32 PM
18 ac - caddie - woman's name and golfer's shadow that doesn't play

Winner! :)

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/ccomplete_zps171548b9.png

Thanks to everyone who took part, new and old, armchair and actual.

I'll post Cryptic # 11 on December, 1st -- in the meantime, why not try setting one yourself? If you don't have the right crossword software, let me know and we can work something out where I populate a grid for you and you clue it.

As usual I'll put the full parsings of the clues up tonight and tomorrow. If you spotted an error in a clue or felt it didn't work somehow or wasn't fair, please let me know in thread or by PM as it's the only way I'll get better.

Finally, a couple of questions:

Is everyone still happy with the 5 a day rule and the general running/toughness of the grid? I'm defo going to put a few more naked anagrams in next time and also I wondered about parsing the clues as they happen with each correct answer.

Any thoughts on any of the above appreciated. :)

ajaye
11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks so much for the puzzle Harry :D
I'm not fussed about the five a day rule and I'm happy with the cluing toughness. I reckon parsing along the way as the answers are found is a great idea - more while we're in the mindset type of thing. But I also think listing them at the end, as you already do, is handy for an easy find. So you could do both, but that's an awful lot on your plate. I probably haven't helped much at all :/

alexaherself
11-07-2013, 04:12 PM
I agree with what Ajaye says ^^^. Thank you very much, Harry. :)

HarryHoskins
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks AJ & Alexa. :)

Posting the parsings as we go isn't too much work - in fact, it should ensure I make less mistakes as usually I parse in my head (always a mistake) whilst writing and then do the written parse once the grid is complete. I think I was a little reticent to do it this way from the start as it might stop people parsing themselves - but actually, it'll hopefully help any newbies to get the hang of things as the grid progresses and, as you say, might engender more immediate discussion of things that don't work.

Will have the across parsings up later on tonight. :)

HarryHoskins
11-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Here be the across clue parsings as promised.

As usual, feel free to berate, bemoan and tell me where I went wrong and what didn't work. Also, if you have any ideas as to how I can run the xword better drop me a line or post in thread.

It's the only way I'll get better you know. :)

ACROSS

1a - WATER CANNON (cryptic)

Use these if the great unwashed are really revolting? (5,6)

- Riff on the method of putting down a popular uprising and cleaning up the stinking prols.

7a - MEGABUCKS (cryptic)

Loadsa dollars! (9)

- Taking Harry Enfield across the pond.

12a - READING MATTER (charade)

Possibly magazines a Berkshire town has issue with (7,6)

- possibly - def by examplicator
- magazines - def
- a Berkshire town - READING
- has - first part of posicator
- issue - MATTER
- with - second part of posicator

(READING)(MATTER)

13a - SATSUMA (subtraction anagram)

Orange used as mustard? No way! (7)

- orange - def
- used - anagrind
- as mustard - fodder
- no - subtracticator
- way - RD (road)

(ASMUSTA(-rd)

14a - ON THE MEND (surround)

Tough guys subdued by tiddly politico convalescing (2,3,4)

- tough guys - HE MEN
- subdued by - surroundicator
- tiddly - ON (as in drunk)
- politico - TD (Irish MP)
- convalescing - def

(ON(T(HEMEN)D)

Further Info:

There has been some debate about whether the surroundicator here works on both 'ON' and 'TD' in overcoming 'HE MEN' or whether another indicator was needed for 'TD'. At the moment I can see both sides of the argument and am undecided as to whether this is fair or unfair.

15a - OUTSIDE LEFT (subtraction charade)

Leaderless hooligan faction deserted position (7,4)

- leaderless - headicator
- hooligan - LOUT
- faction - SIDE
- deserted - LEFT
- position - def

(-l(OUT)(SIDE)(LEFT)

16a - GODS ACRE (reversal subtraction)

Rampant hound (briefly) protected boneyard (4,4)

- rampant - reversicator
- hound - DOG
- briefly - curtailicator
- protected - SACRED
- boneyard - def

(DOG<(SACRE(-d)

Further Info:

Reversicator feels like it isn't accurate as this is an across clue and 'rampant' indicates 'rearing' or 'bringing up'. However, Chambers solvers dictionary has it as an across reversicator so who am I t argue?

18a - CADDIE (crytpic)

She'll help get a round in, but won't get one in herself (6)

- Riffing on being at the 19th hole when the clue is on course (and, of course, hoping for a patriarchal deception with the use of the feminine - it's 2013, you know!) :)

Further Info:

Apologies for not spotting the variant spelling - however, I believe the way I have it is the 'proper' way.

19a - MISER (initialism)

Tight arse in morning? I'd stop eating rubbish starters (5)

- tight arse - def
- in - wordplayicator
- morning - M
- I'd - I
- stop - S
- eating - E
- rubbisn - R
- starters - initialicator

(M)(I)(S)(E)(R)

19a - REDRAWN (charade)

Very sore tip of nipple could be milked again! (7)

- very sore - RED RAW
- tip of - firstlettericator
- nipple - N
- could be - definicator
- milked again - def
- ! - apologia

(REDRAW)(N)

23a - ATHENS (double definition)

Capital city in Georgia (6)

- capital - def
- city in Georgia - def (USA)

27a - HAVE ONES HEAD SCREWED ON (cryptic double def)

Maybe do this in a ménage à trois to be sensible? (4,4,4,7,2)

- maybe - def by examplicator
- do this in a menage et trois - def
- to be sensible - def

Further Info:

So, for the poor, bewildered - and only now learning the finer points of grammar - Hoskinsian nogging, this was almost an impossible phrase to find the part of speech for. I reckoned it was a verbal phrase as it's an action (even though it's a sort of passive action) so I added the 'do this' to make the first def (hopefully) all verbal and stuff - still, I'm not certain I have it right. As always, comments welcome.

29a - RATIFY (surround subtract)

Uphold suggestion without detailed argument (6)

- uphold - def
- suggestion - ray
- without - surroundicator
- detailed - curtailicator
- argument - TIFF

(RA(TIF(-f)Y)

31a - GROTTO (cryptic)

Whimsical chamber of commerce? (6)

- riffing on Santa's grotto and capitalism

32a - NOODLES (subtraction charade)

Uncover an abundance of food (7)

- uncover - headicator
- an - AN
- abundence of - OODLES
- food - def

(-a)N(OODLES)

35a - ADD-ON (surround charade)

A fellow eating late incurs service charge (3-2)

- a - A
- fellow - DON (an academic)
- eating - surrounicator
- late - D
- incurs - definicator
- service charge - def

(A(D(D)ON)

36a - COARSE (charade)

Base business near waste disposal unit? (6)

- base - def
- business - CO
- near - posicator
- waste disposal unit - ARSE
- ? - QM for synonym by example

(CO)(ARSE)

38a - RECLINER (subtraction charade)

Sand edges of torpedo ship's chair (8)

- sand edges of - edgicator
- torpedo - WRECK
- ship - LINER
- chair - def

(-w(REC)-k)(LINER)

41a - NERVE CENTER (anagram surround)

For Catholics say the Vatican's in odd reverence over bible (5,6)

- for Catholics say the Vatican - def by example
- in - wordplayicator
- odd - anagrind
- reverence - fodder
- over - surroundicator
- bible - NT (new testement)

(REVEREN(NT)CE*)

42a - LEO MCKERN (anagram)

Shake conker elm to get player (3,6)

- shake - anagrind
- conker elm - fodder
- to get - definicator
- player - def

(CONKERELM*)

Further Info:

Conker elm!?

44a - ICED TEA (charade)

Drink killed Earl Grey (4,3)

- drink - def
- killed - iced
- Earl Grey - TEA

(ICED)(TEA)

Further Info:

Could've done with a QM for the Earl Grey synonym by type.

45a - A BIT ON THE SIDE (subtraction anagram charade)

Don't use filthy talk like that baton twirling party-lover! (1,3,2,3,4)

- don't use - subtracticator
- filthy - anagrind
- talk - subtraction fodder
- like that baton - anagram fodder
- twirling - anagrind
- party - SIDE
- lover - def

(-l)I(-k)ETH(-at)BATON*)(SIDE)

Further Info:

Incorrect hyphen between party lover?

46a - SIDE PLATE (charade)

Bread dish with camp silver covering (4,5)

- bread dish - def
- with - wordplayicator
- camp - SIDE
- silver covering - PLATE

47a - EMERY BOARDS (anagram)

Files orders - maybe during conflict (5,6)

- files - def
- orders maybe - fodder
- during conflict - anagrind

(ORDERSMAYBE*)

Further Info:

Not sure about that anagrind - 'in conflict', yes - 'during conflict', hmmmm.

There you go. Down clues to follow tomorrow night. As always, if you have a question or thought something didn't work, was unfair or generally crap, feel free to post in thread or send me a PM. It's the only way i'll get better you know. :)

HarryHoskins
11-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Here be the down parsings as promised.

As usual, feel free to berate, bemoan and tell me where went wrong/could've done better. If you don't fancy mentioning it in public, please PM me.

It's the only way I'll get better, you know. :)

DOWN

1d - WARMONGER (charade)

Hawk relaxing atop Mongolian home (9)

- hawk - def
- relaxing - WARM
- atop - ON
- Mongolian home - GER

(WARM)(ON)(GER)

2d - TWATTED (container)

50s youth imbibes unit to get drunk (7)

- 50s youth - TED (teddy boy)
- imbibes - containicator
- unit - WATT
- to get - definicator
- drunk - def (slang)

(T(WATT)ED)

3d - RHINE (alternate letter reverse)

Neon light ray regularly set up to germinate flower (5)

- neon light ray - fodder
- regularly - alternate lettericator
- set up - reversicator
- to germinate - definicator
- flower - def (as in flower)

(nEoNlIgHtRay<)

Further Info:

I think this is unfair as the Y at the end of should (because of the 'regularly instruction) be included in the answer. Had I used a partwordicator such as 'some' etc, this would've worked.

4d - ANGLE GRINDER (charade)

Approach the German (smile first) then grab tool! (5,7)

- approach - angle
- the - DER
- German - Germanicator
- smile - grin
- first - posicator
- then grab - definicator
- tool - def

(ANGLE)(DER)GRIN)

5d - NHANDU (hidden)

A bird in hand usually is easily spotted (6)

- a bird - def
- in hand usually - fodder
- is easily spotted - hiddenicator

(i(NHANDU)sually)

6d - NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE (charade)

It's an institution to go over form before race begins (8,6,7)

- Its an institution - def
- to go over - SERVICE
- form - HEALTH
- before - posicator
- race - NATIONAL (the Grand National)
- begins - posicator

(SERVICE)(HEALTH)(NATIONAL)

7d - MERITED (reversal surround initial subtraction)

Just think up over 80,000 ideas initially, then cut them down to one! (7)

- just - def
- think - DEEM
- up - reversicator
- over - surroundicator
- 80,000 - R (cdxwda - Medieval Roman Numerals)
- ideas - I
- initially - initialicator
- then cut - 1st part of subtraction instruction
- them - fodder
- down to one - 2nd part of subtraction fodder
- ! - for length and torturous construction

(DE(R)(I)(T)EM<)

8d - GOSSIPED (charade part word)

Gassed rabbit with some firedamp (8)

- gassed - def
- rabbit - GOSSIP
- with - posicator
- some - part wordicator
- firedamp - fodder

(GOSSIP)(ED)

Further Info:

I think the part word is imprecise, but not necessarily unfair.

9d - BETTER MAN (cryptic)

One walking away from boxing match - a punter, say? (6,3)

- riffing on being a better man and the pun of punter/better

Further Info:

This clue could be much better.

10d - CAUSE A SCANDAL (anagram subtraction)

Drunk casuals with acne and no heart may do this (5,1,7)

- drunk - anagrind
- casuals - fodder 1
- with - includicator
- acne - fodder 2
- and - fodder 3
- no heart - hearticator
- may do this - def (when taking with clue as a whole)

(CASUALS)(ACNE)(A(-n)D)*

Further Info:

Originally I had 'on the terraces' tacked on the end - but figured the def was gettable from the clue as read. Not so sure now.

11d - STARTERS GUN (crytpic)

This rod will get you going! (8,3)

- trying to get your minds into the gutter as always.

17d - ALAMO (charade)

In the manner of repeating different defeat? (5)

- in the manner of - ALA & MO (modus operandi)
- repeating different - same fodder different synonym
- defeat - def
- ? - def by cryptic examplicator

(ALA)(MO)

Further Info:

I think the def is weak here. I clued it a few ways before reaching this on and, I do believe, got seduced by the wordplay in this version at the expense of the def.

20d - DASHER (reversal surround)

Reindeer embarrassed climbing over tree (6)

- reindeer - def
- embarrassed - RED
- climbing - reversicator
- over - surroundicator
- tree - ASH

(RE(ASH)D<)

22d - DEVOTED FRIEND (anagram)

Derived to fend off a dog perhaps (7,6)

- derived to fend - fodder
- off - anagrind
- a dog - def
- perhaps - def by examplicator

(DERIVEDTOFEND*)

24 - NOSTOS (semi &lit)

Poem about lad returning drunk from Australia? (6)

- poem - def
- about - what the poem is abouticator
- lad - SON
- returning - 1st part of reversal
- drunk - SOT
- from Australia - 2nd part of reversicator

Clue is also to be read as a whole definition

(SON)(SOT)<

26d - CRINGEWORTHY (insertion charade)

Sickening cartel breaks into church to get valuable (12)

- sickening - def
- cartel - RING
- breaks into - inserticator
- church - CE (cdxwda - Church of England)
- to get - posicator
- valuable - WORTHY

(C(RING)E)(WORTHY)

27d - HARD AS NAILS (subtraction charade)

Rigorous shelling of armoured Manx gastropods causes callous (4,2,5)

- rigorous - HARD
- shelling of - edgicator
- armoured - fodder
- Manx - curtailicator
- gastropods - SNAILS
- causes - definicator
- callous - def (variant spelling of callus - phew!)

(HARD)(A(-d)(SNAILS)

28d - WHORL (subtraction charade)

Before extreme lovemaking, tart at last removed coil (5)

- before - posicator
- extreme - headicator
- lovemaking - fodder
- tart - WHORE
- at last - last lettericator
- removed - subtracticator
- coil - def

(L)(WHOR(-e)

Further Info:

Not sure about the grammar of the last letter subtraction

30d - FINGERTIP (reversal subtraction)

Sensitive point man raised after judge cut short summit (9)

- sensitive point - def
- man - REG
- raised - reversicator
- after - posicator
- judge - FIND
- cut short - curtailicator
- summit - TIP

(REG<)(FIN(-d)(TIP)

Further Info:

Prolly should of had a QM for the def here - but more importantly, is 'sensitive tip' a nounal phrase? If so, cool beans, if not - it doesn't work.

33d - STRINGERS (surround)

Jellyfish circling eighty journalists? (9)

- jellyfish - STINGERS
- circling - surroundicator
- eighty - R (CDXWDA - Medieval Roman Numerals)
- journalists - def
- ? - QM for 'jellyfish' synonym

34d - SCHEMATA (insertion charade)

Plans to edge into jazz singing end in drama (8)

- plans - def
- to edge - HEM
- into - inserticator
- jazz singing - SCAT
- end in - last lettericator
- drama - fodder

(SC(HEM)AT)(A)

37d - ACTUATE (container reversal insertion)

Champion expecting gold upset going into race start (7)

- champion - ACE
- expecting - containicator
- gold - AU
- upset - reversicator
- going into - inserticator
- race - TT (CDWXDA - Isle of Man TT race)
- start - def

(AC(T(UA<)T)E)

39d - NEEDIER (homophone)

Glasgow man's rebuttal to wife proves beyond poor (7)

- Glasgow - accenticator
- mans rebuttal to wife - NO DEAR
- proves - definicator
- beyond poor - def

(NEY DIER/NEEDIER)

Further Info:

So, the homophone doesn't work in Glaswegian - hows about Geordie?!

40d - ALCOVE (charade)

A pupil gets firm date for recess (6)

- A - A
- pupil - L (CDXWDA - Learner)
- gets - positcator
- firm - CO
- date - VE (erroneous abbreviation)
- for - definicator
- recess - def

(A)(L)(CO)(VE)

Further Info:

Mistake on the VE indicator - should've been 'day'. Nice catch, Alexa. :)

43d - CREDO (surround)

Business formed around collectivist beliefs (5)

- business - CO
- formed around - surroundicator
- collectivist - RED
- beliefs - def

(C(RED)O)

So that's all for now folks. Apologies for any blunders and, as usual, feel free to berate, bemoan and tell me where I could've done better on the clue front.

I'll put my next crossword up on December, 1st. In the meantime, why not have a go at setting one yourself - if you want to have a go, but don't have the right software to make a nice looking gird, feel free to PM me and we'll see if we can work something out. :)