PDA

View Full Version : Why I WILL Beta Read Your Novel

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I haven't been here very long, but there seem to be two camps on the issue of beta reading: People who won't beta read for you (unless you're X and you've done Y or Z) and people who will without asking you to do anything other than send them your MS. Since there is already a thread devoted to the former, I decided to list the reasons why I WILL beta read your novel:

1. I get to read. This in itself is awesome. I love reading, it's why I write. Right now I am beta reading for AWer Katrina S. Forest, and I have to say that her MG sci-fi story is incredibly fun and I am so lucky to have this on my slate. I don't always mesh well with the stories I beta, but when I do, it makes me incredibly happy.

2. I become more open-minded. By beta reading anything, I get exposed to things that I wouldn't have necessarily thought to look into; I can guarantee you-- up until now, I would never have picked up a MG book... Not even to read the synopsis. Yet, here I am, excited to read the next chapter of Katrina's MG Sci-Fi MS. I still have yet to find that "erotica" piece that makes me feel bad for turning a blind eye on the genre.

3. I get to improve my writing. If I am beta reading your novel, odds are it's not completely polished/has some flaws. With that said, by reading something that doesn't feel right and figuring out why, I can then write a note to myself for later: "Hey, don't do this" or "This is why your current scene isn't working."

This is probably one of my biggest pay-offs for beta reading. Sometimes, I will get stuck in my own story because something is amiss. When I see it in someone else's work and recognize that I've done it too, that frees me up to start writing again. That is the biggest return I have ever received on anything (writer's block is real, OK.)

Sure, I could just grab the nearest book I own, but why? Why would I dissect something that wasn't meant to be dissected, when someone who really wants me to dissect their work is standing in the corner waving their MS in the air?

3. I might make a friend. Friends are great. It's even more effective to make friends with people who won't be offended if you answer the phone with "Can't talk, writing, call you back -click-." A lot of my friends are not writers. Don't get me wrong-- they are amazing people and I love them all to death, but there is a part of me that they will never quite understand.

4. I might get a critique in return. This would be nice, but it might not happen: Who cares?! Often times, my critiques of other people's work applies to my own work. In other words, I can critique my own story by critiquing others. (*gasp* Blasphemer!)

Of course, there will always be things about my own MS that I just won't be able to see by myself, but on a structural and developmental level, I can see a LOT just by looking at someone else's work.

Note: If I have ever beta read for you, and you see this huge chunk of words because I went into disgusting detail about why something doesn't work, it's probably because I had to analyze it in general terms so I could apply the fix to my story as well. xD Contrary to popular belief, the amount of words in my critique =/= how annoyed I was with your story.

5. I get to be part of the journey. I love to help an MS take a step above what it already is, even if all I said was "You wrote 'to,' but it should be 'two.' " It's pretty cool to watch how an MS changes when someone takes your advice (if you're lucky enough to be involved in the process for multiple drafts.) Not everyone takes my advice, but when they do, they drink Dos Equis it's always nice to see that I made a difference.

The bottom line:

I don't have to know you.

I don't even have to like you.

As a matter of fact, I probably prefer that I don't like you so that I can be as honest about the story's problems as possible. No, that's a lie: Even if I do like you, I still point out everything I see.

I don't have to share your worldviews or interest in a certain genre. A good story is a good story, regardless of whether or not I agree with your theme/message.

You can be seeking reassurance that your work is good. Though, if it's not good, sorry-- I'm going to tell you what's wrong with it. You can thank me later.

You can send me your first draft. If I sense that there are developmental issues, I will just ignore the substantive edits until you come back, telling me you're a newly-born masochist and you'd really like some more, please.

So for those of us who will beta read without asking anything return, why do you do it?

Yorkist
10-30-2013, 07:35 AM
I'll do it for a friend, as long as the genre is one that I am capable of critting in (like I do not know the genre conventions of mystery so that is right out). And I'll do it for a stranger as long as I love the idea of the book.

I'll be as honest either way, except in one case. If someone is functionally illiterate or has no clue and probably no hope of grasping the basic mechanics of a story, I'm just going to smile and be nice and say that I liked it rather than deliver a hit to their self worth for absolutely no reason.

chompers
10-30-2013, 07:39 AM
I love your willingness!

At the risk of sounding unoriginal, those are pretty much my reasons too.

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 08:52 AM
I'll do it for a friend, as long as the genre is one that I am capable of critting in (like I do not know the genre conventions of mystery so that is right out).

As a reader, you shouldn't discount yourself because you don't understand the conventions of a genre. Your understanding of their conventions doesn't make you any less qualified to decide whether or not you like the book. If you are reading a mystery, and something feels off, point it out. Take a moment to try to figure out why it feels off. Odds are, the problem has nothing to do with the conventions of the genre.

In most cases, an MS is going to go through multiple beta readers-- some of which will understand the conventions of the genre, and you can leave it to them to decide what is and isn't OK for the genre. If those betas are looking for things like that, they probably won't be looking for the things that you would notice.

And I'll do it for a stranger as long as I love the idea of the book.

You really might be missing out. There are good writers out there who absolutely suck at writing a synopsis/elevator pitch. Personally, Katrina's synopsis did not make me excited to read the story, but I ended up loving it (so far: I'm not finished. Not that I expect it to suddenly suck xD)

I'll be as honest either way, except in one case. If someone is functionally illiterate or has no clue and probably no hope of grasping the basic mechanics of a story, I'm just going to smile and be nice and say that I liked it rather than deliver a hit to their self worth for absolutely no reason.

Ouch! I think I would prefer someone to just ignore all further e-mails than to lie and tell me that something is good when it's not. One of the major reasons we turn to beta readers instead of friends/family is so that people will tell us the truth...

Edit: I won't pretend like this hasn't happened to me before xD What I generally do, when I encounter those kind of situations, is e-mail them back with a generalized view of the problems, a few examples from their writing, and links to resources that will help guide them in the right path.

Nina Kaytel
10-30-2013, 09:02 AM
I thought that that is what the Willing Beta Reader Thread is for. :)
It is nice to see people willing to learn from their beta experience. And making a writer friend is a-okay in my book.

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 09:04 AM
I love your willingness!

Thanks =D I mean, it's not totally unselfish of me, so let's not pretend it is xD It's mutually beneficial.

At the risk of sounding unoriginal, those are pretty much my reasons too.

Thank you for saying so! It's always good to see that I'm not alone on this. (And for those of you who have PMed me about this before, I know I'm not alone on this <3)

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 09:07 AM
I thought that that is what the Willing Beta Reader Thread is for. :)
It is nice to see people willing to learn from their beta experience. And making a writer friend is a-okay in my book.

Weird. I searched the forums for something like this thread, and looked at the thread you mentioned before posting this, but maybe I didn't look deep enough. When I checked, that thread seemed more like a roll call for betas than a "Why I beta read." Guess I'll have to check it again...

Edit: Yeah, I looked again, and that seems more of a "I am (name) and I will beta read." This is more like a failing discussion on why people would beta read without asking for a swap, since there is a thread about why people wouldn't beta. I thought it was only fair...

In any case, should this post be deemed redundant to the mods, I'm sure they will move it.

Yorkist
10-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Evee, yeah, I just don't want to be the primary beta for a book that isn't my genre preference, secondary is fine.

And I am actually really good at spotting marketing fail so that is not a problem. And mostly I like what my spouse refers to as "vagina fiction," which is a really easy thing to interpret.

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 09:22 AM
And mostly I like what my spouse refers to as "vagina fiction," which is a really easy thing to interpret.

LOL Vagina fiction. That is amazing. Your spouse is definitely a keeper!

Yorkist
10-30-2013, 09:35 AM
LOL Vagina fiction. That is amazing. Your spouse is definitely a keeper!

He is fucking funny, I will say that. FTR, vagina fiction is like bourgeoise chick lit.

Not to derail, but he also has an inside joke with me about tacos, blending my obsessions with food and vagina fiction. Whenever I mentally space, which happens frequently since I have inattentive ADD, he asks me if I am having profound thoughts or am merely considering the taco. When I lose my phone and go AWOL for a bit, he texts with a question about whether I am eating tacos. I think the latter bit is because he would really like to see me, well, y'know.

Yeah, he is awesome, and his AW moniker is JeremiahGrogKanus.

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Not to derail, but he also has an inside joke with me about tacos, blending my obsessions with food and vagina fiction.

Every good conversation needs a healthy digression. I do not mind at all!

Whenever I mentally space, which happens frequently since I have inattentive ADD, he asks me if I am having profound thoughts or am merely considering the taco.

:ROFL:"Considering the taco."

I don't have a zone-out face, but apparently I have a very strong "concentration" face that must look something like a mixture of anger and depression. xD I've had friends and family point it out, but I died laughing when my boss came up to me while I was working on a project and asked, "Yvone... are you alright?"

Yeah, he is awesome, and his AW moniker is JeremiahGrogKanus.

xD I will have to keep an eye out for you two. I still have no idea if there is a buddy list on this thing or how to use it :Shrug: I will figure it out one of these days.

Putputt
10-30-2013, 03:36 PM
So for those of us who will beta read without asking anything return, why do you do it?

Good to know you're having a positive beta-reading experience.

Reasons why I have beta-read for people on AW without asking anything in return:

- I have seen their posts and think they are smart/funny/I want to make babies with them.
- I know them well enough to know I can be honest without them getting offended and telling me to suck a gangrenous dick.
- I find their query super brilliant and I MUST READ THE BOOK OR ELSE. (This has only happened once...and the book turned out to be just as amazing as the query, so YAY! The person who wrote turned out to be a total lewser, of course, but you can't have it all...:D)

But yea...it's usually reason #1. The people I'm currently betaing for are all people I admire and I know I'll learn a lot from betaing for them.

hikarinotsubasa
10-30-2013, 04:42 PM
I love to beta read! And I don't need to know the person.

In addition to what has been said above, I also wish that someone had been completely honest with me when I was younger, really sat me down and said, "Okay, you're on the right track with this and this, but you need to work on these other things."

I do occasionally get a manuscript that either just isn't ready to be betaed, or the writer just isn't ever (or at least anytime soon) isn't going to be professional quality. I will do one of two things... sometimes (very rarely) I will let the author know that it's just not my thing, give a reason for this if there is one besides "It's just not grabbing me" and suggest that they find a beta who's more enthusiastic about it. Usually, I will give some broad feedback, though. "There are just too many grammar mistakes here to correct one by one. Here are a few of the things you've been doing over and over again. I'm glad to look at it again when it's cleaned up." or "Honestly, this is too much like (popular novel title) for me to really get into it as an original work." or whatever.

In most cases, I try to find at least some good things about every work, and at least one or two suggestions for even the best!

Besides getting to read and getting to make friends... it's karma. I especially like to beta for young or beginning writers, because I really wish I'd had someone to be KIND but HONEST with me when I was in high school and really doing just about everything wrong. ;)

Levico
10-30-2013, 07:46 PM
I applaud you, Evee ^^ Sometimes beta readers can get a little, if I dare, snooty about their work. The 'Why I Won't' thread didn't quite sit with me.
But, who am I to judge? :P I haven't even done a beta read yet (though that certainly will change when I am ready).
~Lev

BC11
10-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Yup. There are plenty of novels I'd like to beta read based on their query over on SYW. I've never done it, though. Would probably want to dip my feet in with one chapter to start with.

Anyway, was that a blog post I spied on The Fifth Element, evee123zy? Chicken...good! My brother and I attack one another with quotes from this film all the time.

quicklime
10-30-2013, 07:57 PM
y'all realize the "why i won't" thread was started by Maryn to try to help the less-than-aware figure out why they weren't getting any takers?

if that strikes some folks as "snooty" well, you can take her info however you like I guess.....

seeing her thread reminds me of things I look for, seeing this thread actually reminds me WHY I do.

*facepalm

Maryn
10-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks, quick. I stand by what I said. Even though I have lots of free time compared to many, I don't want to use much of it improving work of someone who chose not to fix the mistakes s/he knew it contained, or who can't be bothered to express gratitude for the time I spent trying to help.

If that doesn't sit well with others, so be it. I spent a decade honing the policy which works for me. You're all welcome to do the same. I suspect that when you beta poorly executed works and receive little thanks over a period of years, you'll come around to my way of thinking.

And I would note that I did not say I only beta for friends. In fact, I have only beta read for a friend once--and he did not make many of the changes I suggested. We're still friends, though.

Maryn, who is laughably far from snooty

Anna_Hedley
10-30-2013, 09:15 PM
I think I understand your reasons for posting this thread, but I think there's also some misinterpretation of the other thread going on. Maryn is incredibly lovely and whenever I've seen her post, it's always been her being incredibly helpful and pleasant, even with clueless newbies such as myself.

The intention of the other thread isn't, "You should feel bad for expecting me to beta for you,", it's that people shouldn't be rude and ungrateful when they do get a beta, and pointing out some of the things people perhaps completely unwittingly do that stop beta readers from taking them up on their requests.

Putputt
10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
y'all realize the "why i won't" thread was started by Maryn to try to help the less-than-aware figure out why they weren't getting any takers?

if that strikes some folks as "snooty" well, you can take her info however you like I guess.....

seeing her thread reminds me of things I look for, seeing this thread actually reminds me WHY I do.

*facepalm

Yea, your book was one of the reasons I decided I had to have higher standards...

*ducks*

:tongue

I suspect that when you beta poorly executed works and receive little thanks over a period of years, you'll come around to my way of thinking.

Heh, I had the same thought. I used to be very willing to beta-read for pretty much anyone. Then I realized that beta-ing poorly written works and not even getting a "thanks" in return isn't really a good use of my time.

*is a grizzled, hardened hippo*

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 10:42 PM
I cant really do any proper quotes so I'm sorry if this feels undirected (on my phone) but I wanted to say a few things:

Do I agree with Maryn's post? Overall, no, and I think that's pretty evident by my post. Everyone has their different reasons for why they will or won't beta read. Maryn's post, despite how lovely and awesome she more than likely is, didn't focus on the positive aspects of beta reading, and I wanted do so because there are a lot of things to be gained as a beta reader-- its not a handout.

You can suspect that those of us who are willing beta reader will eventually get jaded like you-- it's only natural to assume everyone views the world the way you do. But everyone is different. Some people will continue to do what they do because the "negatives" don't bother them.

With that said, Maryn I really appreciated you bringing up the points you did to reflect what like-minded people are thinking. It's important to know for those seeking a beta and wondering why they get certain reactions. This post, however, is meant to represent the other side, to explain why those same beta seekers might find success, and to explain why myself and others are willing beta readers...

Thanks for letting us share our side of the story.

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 10:46 PM

*facepalm

I have to say, one of the major reasons I didn't comment on the other thread is because of reactions like this. I have a feeling that other people who are willing beta readers may have avoided that thread as well. Lets try to keep this thread a safe place for them to discuss their love of beta reading.

quicklime
10-30-2013, 10:49 PM
...and to explain why myself and others are willing beta readers...

Tha.

to be fair, i think it is little bits like this that are pissing me off.

I have a couple people waiting for me to beta read their stuff.
I am sending my own stuff out to several people.

We're all "willing" beta readers, we simply like to know where our time and effort is going, and have some idea beforehand what we may be getting into. Your post, the previous one and this one, sort of suggest you're not getting that. You want a free beta, here: word choice matters. "willing beta readers" suggests you are being at best careless, if not passive-aggressive, with yours.

in any event, it does take all kinds. but like others here, I suspect you may well feel different after spending 20 hours on someone's sub-literate scribble or betaing in return for someone who's entire critique offered in return is "you should totally name your MC Steve instead...I dated a Steve once, and he was super-hawt..."

guess time will tell ;-)

quicklime
10-30-2013, 10:50 PM
I have to say, one of the major reasons I didn't comment on the other thread is because of reactions like this. I have a feeling that other people who are willing beta readers may have avoided that thread as well. Lets try to keep this thread a safe place for them to discuss their love of beta reading.

see my prior post

*sigh

I don't wanna derail your whole thread, so I'm out, but I hope you can see the difference between the reality of maryn's post and my reply and the straw-man it fels as though you're busy constructing.

Quick

rmkrisby
10-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Heh, I had the same thought. I used to be very willing to beta-read for pretty much anyone. Then I realized that beta-ing poorly written works and not even getting a "thanks" in return isn't really a good use of my time.

*is a grizzled, hardened hippo*

I think that's awful. A thank you is the least beta readers deserve (on top of a consistent line of communication).

Beta reading should be a dialogue between the writer and reader in order to synthesize something better in the end. I personally can't stand when someone just drops off the face of the planet with a word at all.

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Yup. There are plenty of novels I'd like to beta read based on their query over on SYW. I've never done it, though. Would probably want to dip my feet in with one chapter to start with.

Anyway, was that a blog post I spied on The Fifth Element, evee123zy? Chicken...good! My brother and I attack one another with quotes from this film all the time.

You should do it! It's a task, but so rewarding.

And yes, I point out the parts of the hero's journey in film on my blog for luls and to show new writers a reliable plot format (yes, at the risk of them using it as a crutch.) For the most part it gives me an excuse to make fun of some of my favorite films, so I hope you will give me a multipass XD

wampuscat
10-30-2013, 10:57 PM

The thing is, Maryn's post is actually trying to help new writers as well. Honestly, when I was greener (which wasn't long ago, cause I'm still pretty green), I would've given my book to anyone who would read it. And that is NOT necessarily a good thing. Having some personal standards about whose work you will read and who you will let read your books helps to ensure a more positive beta experience. Beta comments, especially from several sources, can be trying for a new writer. Having those beta comments from writer you've gotten to know a bit on the boards and respect makes it much easier. Likewise, as a beta reader, pouring hours upon hours into a beta read only to get no response, or angry response, is a very disheartening thing.

It's fantastic that so many people are willing to beta and so many are looking for betas. It really, really is, and I wish you all the best. I agree that beta reading is a wonderful experience. But do try to understand why some people feel like they'd prefer to develop beta relationships with people who are invested in the forums.

(And I'll also own up to the fact that I actually have been a not-so-good beta reader on an occasion or two as well. I've gotten too busy with life to beta read effectively, and I have on at least one occasion not expressed that well to the author, for which I feel very, very bad now. At the time, I felt like I didn't want them to think I didn't like their book, but now I know that as a beta and as an author, I need to set some ground rules with myself before I commit.)

Maryn
10-30-2013, 11:01 PM
I personally can't stand when someone just drops off the face of the planet with a word at all.Yet that's more common than thanks when you beta for someone new to this community, who has no investment in relationships here, who's spent little time.

Ask Karen Junker.

Maryn, pragmatic

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 11:02 PM
to be fair, i think it is little bits like this that are pissing me off.

I have a couple people waiting for me to beta read their stuff.
I am sending my own stuff out to several people.

We're all "willing" beta readers, we simply like to know where our time and effort is going, and have some idea beforehand what we may be getting into. Your post, the previous one and this one, sort of suggest you're not getting that. You want a free beta, here: word choice matters. "willing beta readers" suggests you are being at best careless, if not passive-aggressive, with yours.

in any event, it does take all kinds. but like others here, I suspect you may well feel different after spending 20 hours on someone's sub-literate scribble or betaing in return for someone who's entire critique offered in return is "you should totally name your MC Steve instead...I dated a Steve once, and he was super-hawt..."

guess time will tell ;-)

Mm, I really think you are getting pissed off over semantics. Shame on me for thinking it was pretty clear what I meant by that.

Also, as I have mentioned before, I have spent hours beta reading "sub-literate" work, and as you'll see in the comment I made about it in this thread, you'll note that I still try to help.

In any case, if this thread is really bothering you that much, maybe you should exit. i didn't start this thread to argue with people from the other thread.

Maryn
10-30-2013, 11:13 PM
[Maryn puts on moderator hat to explain general policies, although this is not her board. As usual, the hat sits crooked and makes her hair stick out in odd directions.]

While the OP (original poster, the person who began a thread) might wish to direct where discussion goes and who may participate, he or she does not get to suggest others bow out for whatever reason.

If anyone's input bothers you, then you have two options: put them in "ignore" status so you will not see their posts, or, if you believe their words are breaking AW's RYFW rule (respect your fellow writer), then click on the triangular red and white button in the left column, which reports the thread to the board's moderator.

Maryn, taking off the hat again, knowing now there's a big dent in her hair and a red line across her forehead

evee123zy
10-30-2013, 11:24 PM
[Maryn puts on moderator hat to explain general policies, although this is not her board. As usual, the hat sits crooked and makes her hair stick out in odd directions.]

While the OP (original poster, the person who began a thread) might wish to direct where discussion goes and who may participate, he or she does not get to suggest others bow out for whatever reason.

If anyone's input bothers you, then you have two options: put them in "ignore" status so you will not see their posts, or, if you believe their words are breaking AW's RYFW rule (respect your fellow writer), then click on the triangular red and white button in the left column, which reports the thread to the board's moderator.

Maryn, taking off the hat again, knowing now there's a big dent in her hair and a red line across her forehead

lol Once again, what I've said has been
blown out of proportion. If someone is using inflammatory language such as "you are pissing me off" and it's all because someone decided to share some positivity, then yes, I'm going to suggest you walk away for your own health, as there are way too many stressors in life for this to be one of them. Whether they decide to take a break is up to them.

Ramshackle
10-30-2013, 11:24 PM
The OP has some great reasons to beta read within it.

This said, why does it keep coming down to:

... those of us who will beta read without asking anything return...I see no points in the OP that are exclusive to those who "don't ask for anything in return". It's great to discuss why beta reading is good for the beta - but this repeated reference to "some of us don't ask for anything in return" comes across as really negative towards those that (quite appropriately) do look for reciprocation (or at least some signs that the author is involved in the community/willing to take on feedback). It reads... well, a little offensively.

It might not be intended this way - but that's how it comes across. It seems a few others feel the same. Consider it a beta reading of the post. :tongue

To be brutally honest, I wouldn't want anybody with a "I'll read anything from anyone, no questions asked" attitude to read my novel. I'd have serious concerns about the usefulness of their comments if they don't care about my genre, plot or attitude. (Why would you read my rough rough draft in a genre you don't know about or care for when you're not even sure I'm not just fishing for compliments? Sure, there are great people out there who would - but I can't help but believe the majority would be wasting my time, and theirs.)

Now - shall we steer this thread towards the positives of beta reading for those who beta regardless of whether it's reciprocated? Because frankly, that's an ace topic to discuss and, as I've said, there are some great reasons mentioned in the OP. :)

BC11
10-30-2013, 11:33 PM
You should do it! It's a task, but so rewarding.

And yes, I point out the parts of the hero's journey in film on my blog for luls and to show new writers a reliable plot format (yes, at the risk of them using it as a crutch.) For the most part it gives me an excuse to make fun of some of my favorite films, so I hope you will give me a multipass XD

:)

Of course! You can have Zorg's desk elephant, too. It needs a good home.

And I've decided I will re-read the stickied threads here and then offer up my time. I don't think I will ever be a line-by-line type of critiquer, but baby steps, right? I'll give time to one person rather than spread it out everywhere.

It would be nice if this thread didn't degenerate into he said/she said because, honestly, the positivity is refreshing.

AW Admin
10-30-2013, 11:33 PM
blown out of proportion. If someone is using inflammatory language such as "you are pissing me off" and it's all because someone decided to share some positivity, then yes, I'm going to suggest you walk away for your own health, as there are way too many stressors in life for this to be one of them. Whether they decide to take a break is up to them.

When a moderator tells you that you need to pay attention to how you're expressing yourself on AW; pay attention.

Let me make it clearer.

You don't own threads. You don't get to tell other posters how to post.

Feel free to PM a moderator, or the owner if you have a question.

Use the http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif report post button.

You don't get to debate moderators in thread. You will be courteous here.

If the mods of this particular forum think this discussion has merit, they're welcome to unlock it.

For my part, it's pretty clear that this thread is not terribly helpful.

Old Hack
10-30-2013, 11:37 PM

Evee.

If you feel the need to respond negatively to a moderator's comment in this way, take it to PM.

I agree with previous posters that you've misunderstood the reasoning behind the "why I won't beta-read..." thread. You might like to read the first page or two in that thread if you haven't already done so.

I'm going to lock this thread now, pending the room mods' review.