Terminating a Contract

CWMama

Registered
Reaction score
My publisher has not issued a royalty report or payment for 1.5 years despite many emails and calls from me. I have no way of knowing how many books I've sold since the publisher has withheld that information from me. (Though I know it's probably close to 1,000 books from the number of book signings I've had.) Since this is a breach of contract (and I don't anticipate the publisher publishing my next contracted book b/c of money issues), what is my next course of action?

Can I send a "termination of contract" letter from myself or do I need to hire a lawyer to do this?

What do I do if the publisher refuses to release me from my contract and/or revert all rights for all of my contracted books back to me?

I really don't want this to be messy but I do want my books to be able to get published and would like to be paid for the books I have sold.

Thank you!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Look up your publisher in the Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check of the forum. Use the google search bar at the bottom of the page to help you.

IANAL, nor am I a publishing expert, but I do believe contracts have to have sections outlining the termination of the contract. If you haven't already (which you should have, several times and before now) read your contract.

CWMama

Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't already (which you should have, several times and before now) read your contract.

Yes, I did read my contract several times before signing it and had a lawyer look at it, too. I just re-read it (about four times in the last day) to check on the "termination clause" but it is heavily weighted toward the publisher, not the author. This is something I didn't consider when I happily signed the contract two years ago, never thinking I'd need to actually use a termination clause.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did read my contract several times before signing it and had a lawyer look at it, too. I just re-read it (about four times in the last day) to check on the "termination clause" but it is heavily weighted toward the publisher, not the author.

Not that it helps in your current situation, but for future reference, if you are going to have a lawyer look at your contract you need one who specializes in literary contracts. A general contracts lawyer can tell you if your contract is legal, but is probably not knowledgeable enough to know if the contract is industry standard or if, as in your case, it is heavily weighted towards one party.

This is something I didn't consider when I happily signed the contract two years ago, never thinking I'd need to actually use a termination clause.

Again, for future reference, always, always consider this no matter who the publisher is. The reversion of rights clause is one of major issues brought up in the Bewares forums.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You are bound by the terms in the contract you freely signed.

We can't give you legal advice. All you can do is comply with the reversion clause, or make an informal request for a reversion of your rights.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Go over your contract with a fine-toothed comb and outline every breach you can find and then notify them in the manner you're required via your contract. If they still ignore you, then it'll get messy. Things you can do: contact an attorney to help you, a CPA to audit their books (hopefully this right is in your contract), report them to the IRS because you haven't been paid in over a year, so chances are you and they haven't paid taxes on that money.

Let the gloves come off, but don't let it consume you. Keep writing and sub elsewhere.

CWMama

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the advice, everyone. I've sent off the "letter of termination" so now it's just wait-and-see.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, talk to your lawyer,.