Who is your favorite wizard and why?

ancientgear

Peace exists because of pain
Registered
Reaction score
Albus Dumbledore or Gandalf the grey/white?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist.

Because only a wizard could do all that.

But if we havta vote on the original two, definitely Gandalf.

:D

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Iucounu the Laughing Magician. Here, he interrupts the flexible and pertinacious Cugel as that rogue is sneaking out of his manse:

Iucounu made a suave gesture. “If you will step this way I will be glad to examine your merchandise.”

Cugel glanced reflectively along the corridor toward the front entrance. “It would be a presumption upon your patience. My little knickknacks are below notice. With your permission I will take my leave.”

“By no means!” declared Iucounu heartily. “I have a few visitors, most of whom are rogues and thieves. I handle them severely, I assure you! I insist that you at least take some refreshment. Place your bag on the floor.”

Cugel carefully set down the bag. “Recently I was instructed in a small competence by a sea-hag of White Alster. I believe you will be interested, I require several ells of stout cord.”

“You excite my curiosity!” Iucounu extended his arm; a panel in the wainscoting slid back; a coil of rope was tossed to his hand. Rubbing his face as if to conceal a smile, Iucounu handed the rope to Cugel, who shook it out with great care.

“I will ask your cooperation,” said Cugel. “A small matter of extending one arm and one leg.”

“Yes, of course.” Iucounu held out his hand, pointed a finger. The rope coiled around Cugel's arms and legs, pinning him so that he was unable to move. Iucounu's grin nearly split his great soft head. “This is a surprising development! By error I called forth Thief-taker! For your own comfort, do not strain, as Thief-taker is woven of wasp-legs. Now then, I will examine the contents of your bag.” He peered into Cugel's sack and emitted a soft cry of dismay. “You have rifled my collection! I note certain of my most treasured valuables!”

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Granny Weatherwax, even though she's technically a witch.

But Mustrum Ridcully is up there, if only for having the good taste to have courted Granny Weatherwax when they were young. I quite like Ponder Stibbons, too.

And I'll happily +1 Ged and Harry Dresden, too. They're both awesome in very different ways.

I, uh, liked Severus Snape better than Dumbledore, to be honest. Not that I approve of the incident at the top of the tower, mind you...

And Gandalf never made much impression on me. He was the first, but he's been emulated so many times he now seems derivative and bland.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Granny Weatherwax, even though she's technically a witch.

But Mustrum Ridcully is up there, if only for having the good taste to have courted Granny Weatherwax when they were young. I quite like Ponder Stibbons, too.

Good taste for the love of Granny, and no taste from the love of Wow-Wow sauce.

What about the Bursar?

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gandalf the White because he came back and Albus Dumbledore didn't.

Are those really our only two choices? Cause as much as I love them both, they would not be my first choice of "favorite".

Dresden wouldn't be, either, though he is high up on my list. And Granny Weatherwax is really in a league of her own. :D

If I can remember who my favorite is, I will update my post. :tongue

ETA: Polgara is added to my list of all time favorites. Perhaps first, but I am still remembering favorite reads. Allanon goes on the list. I am missing someone just at the tip of my thoughts. Frustrating! lol!

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I was a wizard once, but I had to give it up.
(that really was the title, as gender discriminating as it was)
Can I still vote for me?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I would vote for you but I am afraid the evil witch I was once married to might get jealous and turn us both into dung eating insects. Yal, she is that powerful...

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
My sister's husband, "Tommy". He can make a dozen donuts magically disappear. He can also make a bucket of fried chicken, a large pizza, and a party-size tray of tacos disappear...like magic!

Tommy the Wizard.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
btw...

Welcome to the Office Party ancientgear!!

Don't take anything we say in here seriously.

Well...
I'm mean you should take that seriously
but probably nothing else...
except for the nothing else part.

Oh poo.

I give up.

*changes subject*

Anyone mention Merlin yet?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Merlin was pretty awesome in the Mary Stewart books, especially The Crystal Cave.