PDA

View Full Version : The Kingfisher Has Landed

RedWombat
10-29-2013, 12:03 AM
So I'm self-publishing a novella.

In my day job, I'm a children's book author with a major house, and I wanted to self-publish under a pen-name for a couple of reasons. For one thing, when you write children's books, it gets very difficult to write things not for children under your own name--the publisher mutters about branding, and more horrifyingly, you get e-mails from parents saying "My 9-year-old loves your books! I'm going to buy him everything you've ever written!" and then you're running in slow-motion toward the keyboard yelling "Nooooooo.....!"

Well, that may just be me. But anyway, pen name. In this case, the author T. Kingfisher has written "Nine Goblins."

My agent was cool with this--she loves this particular novella but couldn't place it for love or money and told me it'd be a good thing to self-pub, as long as I use a pen name and send her a copy. So with the blessing of all parties involved, off I went, and we'll see if this turns out to be a cool thing worth doing with future novellas or one of those "And let us never speak of this again" experiences.

I hired an editor, who made it better. As I happen to be an illustrator in my day job, I was able to do my own cover art, hopefully without bringing shame to my ancestors.

Formatting it for e-pub made me wail and gnash my teeth and scream at the heavens, so the less said about that the better. (Die, Scrivener. Die and be eaten by feral artichokes.)

The initial plan is release for 3.99 on Smashwords and Amazon. Depending on how it goes, I may add directly uploading to B&N in hypothetical future publications.

Annoying things I have noticed already: Amazon, while preparing to upload your book, apparently holds it in unalterable limbo. A fairly major formatting error came to light early in the process and I have to wait until it goes live before I can fix that. This is stressful.

My primary audience is readers of my blog, which happily numbers a few thousand people--they're already pouncing on the Smashwords version and have been very good about pointing out formatting issues for various devices and the so-far-two typos that made it past the editor. Each typo fills me with horrifying shame and makes me want to curl into fetal position. I hope this reaction passes quickly. I also hope the readers will continue to be patient with me.

(I kinda wish I could figure out a good give-away that wouldn't break the bank for those nice people. Maybe I'll just give them all ranks in the Goblin Army...)

I had been railing about the e-pub thing on Twitter for the last few days, and when I finally said that I thought it was done, I was still so deep in "e-pub horror rage urge to kill rising" mode that I didn't actually include links to the book. I am told this is not the way to market effectively.

Beyond mentioning it on my blog and occasional Tweets, I have no current marketing plan at this stage. I have a large enough platform currently that I'm hopeful the book will make back the editor's fee--beyond that, we'll see how it goes!

WriterBN
10-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Congrats and good luck. I've been thinking about a novella or three, myself, but haven't got to it yet.

Formatting it for e-pub made me wail and gnash my teeth and scream at the heavens, so the less said about that the better. (Die, Scrivener. Die and be eaten by feral artichokes.)

It really shouldn't be an ordeal. Scrivener can generate decent ePub files, but I used it to dump the text into HTML, edited it and added my own CSS, and then converted to ePub using Sigil. Took a couple of hours.

RedWombat
10-29-2013, 12:39 AM
I am told that it's easier the second time around. My real horror was the discovery that Smashwords wanted a .doc and I had to go re-jigger it for them.

Another thing learned: Just assume that I will accomplish nothing the day the book is released except putting out fires and curling in fetal position.

MaggieDana
10-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Anyone who writes Die and be eaten by feral artichokes gets my vote. Bring it on. T. Kingfisher.

girlyswot
10-29-2013, 01:13 AM
There is a point during the kdp upload process where you can preview the book and make changes. Unfortunately, they offer you the option to skip ahead, so it's very easy to miss this stage. But when it is open for editing again, you should be able to do this.

Mclesh
10-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Best of luck, RedWombat!

The kdp upload process can be a bit confusing. I hit publish before the book was ready, so my publication date is actually two weeks before I'd intended, which didn't really make a difference in the scheme of things. I've learned to be a bit more careful, though. :)

triceretops
10-29-2013, 01:43 AM
You might have gone through formatting and upload hell, but at least you did it. I chickened out and had it done. I'm afraid to read the directions on the Smashwords formatting instruction site, not wanting to know what I'll have to go through to get that job done. I'm a tech bozo, and that will never change.

tri

M. H. Lee
10-29-2013, 01:48 AM
Congrats and hope it's a huge success!

Curious, though. You said you're marketing it to your blog readership. Is this separate from the readership for your children's books? If not, how are you protecting your children's books writer reputation from any fallout from this presumably adult novella?

RedWombat
10-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Great question!

I had a blog long before I was a children's book author, so they're mostly fans of the blog, the art, and a webcomic I did along the way. (I dabble in a lot of things.) The children's books have honestly been a fairly new development, career-wise. While many of my current blog readers do pick up the children's books, they're doing it more in support of an author they like than as their introduction to my work.

I'm not publishing anything I'd be appalled that anybody know was actually written by Noted Children's Book Author (and indeed, my name is on the copyright notices and About the Author and whatnot) so my primary goal is not so much anonymity as...mmm...brand separation?

I will undoubtedly miss out on a chunk of sales from existing fans who won't connect the pen name, even though I say on my blog "THIS IS MY BOOK IT IS UNDER MY PEN NAME I AM THIS PEN NAME PLEASE MAKE A NOTE OF IT" because there are lots of casual fans who don't keep up with the blog, but that's part of the price of admission.

merrihiatt
10-29-2013, 02:49 AM
Good luck! Looking forward to following your journey.

Literateparakeet
10-29-2013, 03:22 AM
Another thing learned: Just assume that I will accomplish nothing the day the book is released except putting out fires and curling in fetal position.

I'll make note of that for when my release day arrives. LOL!

It sounds like you are in a really good position for success. Keep us posted. We'll be here cheering for you.

RedWombat
10-29-2013, 05:25 AM
And to my intense horror, the book can be purchased through Amazon, but is NOT "published" on the back end, so I can't fix the rather severe formatting bug that only came to light after upload. Which is certainly a sinking feeling of dread.

So, I think if I were doing this again, I'd do Smashwords first, leave it up for a day or two until everybody informed me of the (perhaps inevitable) bugs, and THEN send it to Amazon.

ETA: Really did take about twelve hours from upload to being "published" on the back end, despite being for sale for several hours there. Not sure how long it will take to push the corrected version live. I'd say it's a cautionary tale to double-check, but in all honesty, two people went over that thing a zillion times and didn't catch it, so it may be a matter of the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.

Fortunately it's only sold a half-dozen of the mis-formatted Amazon copies so far and my readers have been very gracious about it--it's a duplicated section of text, not a missing one, and I expect I'm the person most appalled by it.

Won't lie, so far it's all been a fairly horrifyingly stressful experience and I felt like a total failure at professionalism for a bit there. However, starting to get some cheerful reviews in, which is nice.

RedWombat
10-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Yay! Book earned back production costs. (i.e. I paid the editor $500 to edit.)

That took about 170 copies worth of sales, and took around a day. (Again, Results Not Typical.) Sales are about evenly split between Smashwords and Amazon, although it's been up on Amazon a much shorter length of time, and I expect that to rapidly overtake Smashwords.

My prediction (she said, fumbling in the dark) is that I'll get a couple of days of fairly solid sales, probably a bump when I'm able to point to an iBooks version, and then it'll taper off, with occasional bumps. We'll see how it goes...

Vespertilion
10-30-2013, 03:52 AM
I was watching your tweets during the uploading process, and wincing in sympathy. I also had to re-upload mine right afterward, and honestly, there are still several typos I and my editor/betas missed, that I need to go back in and correct.

I'm currently in the "actually relieved no one's buying it because I'm horrified that this is the best I could do" stage of SPing (which is probably just my default stage) so I feel your momentary yearning toward the fetal position.

I've always adored the little stories that go with your art on your gallery page, so I'm excited about the novella!

RedWombat
10-30-2013, 03:59 AM
Aww, thank you!

And yeah, last night I was screaming "Oh god, no, people are buying it, they have to stop, it's BROKEN!" and tearing my hair out.

But today is better, anyway.

Despite hiring a very good editor (and she is!) the fans have tracked down two more typos. At this point, I'm waiting a day or two before pushing out a new version, just so I can try to catch everything.

Could be worse, I suppose--even my trade books have a weird glitch when my About the Author page is printed twice, facing each other, and it's taken them most of a year to fix THAT...

Spell-it-out
10-30-2013, 04:12 AM
Hi Redwombat, great to hear it's going so well!

RedWombat
10-30-2013, 05:24 PM
There should seriously be a limiter on how many times you can check sales reports in an hour.

WriterBN
10-30-2013, 05:50 PM

That took about 170 copies worth of sales, and took around a day. (Again, Results Not Typical.)

That's fantastic! Congratulations, and I hope the trend continues.

Ann Joyce
10-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Congrats on earning your production costs back so quickly, RedWombat. I hope you continue to have great sales!

Literateparakeet
10-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Despite hiring a very good editor (and she is!) the fans have tracked down two more typos. At this point, I'm waiting a day or two before pushing out a new version, just so I can try to catch everything.

It's almost inevitable. I've seen typos in trade published books too. That's what we get for working with human beings.

Congrats! And so quickly! That is my worst case scenario goal--please if nothing else let me at least earn back production costs.

RedWombat
11-02-2013, 01:25 AM
So five days in, and the initial rush has slowed a bit, but we've moved around 450 copies. Twice as many sales on Kindle as on Smashwords, despite it being released on Smashwords, for all intents and purposes, a day earlier.

Good reviews on both sites, but I have no idea how that translates into sales--I have no idea how many people are buying it because they're existing fans, and how many (if any!) show up and say "Hmm, this was #19 in Kindle Epic Fantasy for ten minutes on Wednesday! I'll give it a try!"

(Which only goes to show what I've always suspected--books are damn hard to double blind!)

Two friends have asked me whether I'm happy with sales (reasonably so, all things considered) and what my ultimate goal is. That was an interesting question. Obviously I wanted it out there so readers could get it, but I could get that posting it for free, so what counts as success?

After some contemplation, I think I'd consider the novella to be successful if it meets SFWA qualifying market numbers--i.e. five cents a word.

For a 40K novella, that's two thousand dollars. Not a lot of money for the amount of work that went in, and I certainly won't be quitting my trade publisher any time soon (it is to laugh) but still a couple of months of rent and coffee money.

So after expenses, that's 835 copies. Standing at more than half that, it looks pretty doable---may take a bit, but given the long tail on these things, I think that's a realistic goal.

We'll see if I still feel that way in a month, mind you...

MaggieDana
11-02-2013, 02:43 AM
I snagged a copy, read a few passages to my best friend, and she bought one, too. I watched her do it last night, so we're both on board.

RedWombat
11-02-2013, 03:17 AM
Dude, awesome! Thank you!

MaggieDana
11-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Dude, awesome! Thank you!
I sent my son a link, too, and tonight I had dinner with him and his kids (home from college for the weekend) and they're all raving about NINE GOBLINS! So another sale for you, plus one more via a friend on the phone late last night.

RedWombat
11-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Oh my god, I have heard of this "word-of-mouth" but never expected to see it in the wild! You are awesome!

We literally just sold the 500th copy, so yay! (It helps that I have utterly awesome fans...)

RedWombat
11-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Two weeks in, closing in on seven hundred copies sold. I haven't done any more promotion, beyond a single mention on my blog.

Kindle sales have radically outstripped Smashwords, at nearly five hundred copies to Smashwords' two hundred, but from this vantage point, Smashwords still looks very worthwhile. We've found a few more typos (oh god, it never ends) and I hope to correct those this week.

Overall, it's pretty neat. Not gonna quit my day job, but neat.

(Somewhat ironically, I was actually excited to get a four-star review--yay! Now it looks like a real book and not like my friends are being nice to me or I'm out begging for five-star reviews!)

The desire to do it again is rising. It's sort of like tattoos, I guess--you get one and it's excruciating and a few months later you're going "I should totally do that again."

RedWombat
11-23-2013, 12:06 AM
So, at not quite a month in, we've moved around 860 copies and that gets me to the SFWA rate of .05 a word, which is where I said I'd call it successful.

So--er--yay! Success! Victory for goblins!

Not gonna quit my day job, mind you. Even my twice-orphaned died-in-flames wildly-unsuccessful first book from a trade publisher ultimately moved over 9K hardback copies, so we're talking vast differences in scale here. As an author who makes a pretty good living in trade publishing, I don't see this being a viable alternative for me, at least as things currently stand.

Nevertheless, as a way to do SOMETHING with weird little not-easily-categorized pieces that a bunch of my readers would probably enjoy if I can just find a way to get it to them, this was a rousing success.

Now, the real question is whether or not people would buy more from me--most of my existing fans probably picked it up on the assumption it'd at least be readable, and for all I know, some of them were gravely disappointed. *grin* So sales on another book might do awesome or might tank. Only one way to find out!

At the risk of repeating myself, now I REALLY think that self-publishing is like getting a tattoo. You slave over the design, you fret, it's excruciating and expensive and has lots of fiddly bits and you think "Can I live with this?" and "Cripes, I didn't realize how much this would hurt!" and "Please, god, don't let it look like one of those crappy things that people get when they're drunk."

Then a month later you're all "You know, I could go for another one of those."

merrihiatt
11-23-2013, 05:32 AM
Congratulations!

Literateparakeet
11-23-2013, 01:23 PM
At the risk of repeating myself, now I REALLY think that self-publishing is like getting a tattoo. You slave over the design, you fret, it's excruciating and expensive and has lots of fiddly bits and you think "Can I live with this?" and "Cripes, I didn't realize how much this would hurt!" and "Please, god, don't let it look like one of those crappy things that people get when they're drunk."

Then a month later you're all "You know, I could go for another one of those."

LOL! Yes, this sums it up perfectly. That is just how it has been for me too!

RedWombat
12-09-2013, 01:33 AM
We've sold about a thousand copies now (woo!) and things have settled down--averaging 7 copies a day on Kindle for the last couple weeks, with maybe two or three a week on Smashwords. I imagine that will drift down slowly until I manage to publish something else (still working on writing the next one!)

I would like to stress again, results not typical. I had an established fanbase of terribly awesome, tech-savvy people and was not merely winging the novella into the void. My position might be more akin to self-pubbing backlist than to a new author starting out.

Still, this is pretty cool stuff.

Spell-it-out
12-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Great news Red, delighted for you. What is the plan for the next release?

FionnJameson
12-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Great numbers! :) Many happy sales!

RedWombat
12-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Well, more of the same really--see if there's some other weird little thing in the files that people might like, work on a sequel to this one, etc. I've had people asking for a short story anthology, so I'd like to do that, although I want to have a novella to anchor it if I go that route.

I'm probably four months minimum out from either of those things, mind you...

RedWombat
01-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Just received my first check from Amazon a few days ago, so I thought I'd check in and post an update!

Sales are actually rather stronger than I expected them to be at this point. From the initial burst, I thought we'd get a fairly steep decline until I released something else, as my existing readers all picked up the book, and then maybe the occasional random sale. (And in fact, this is exactly what happened on Smashwords!)

Kindle sales, though, remained more robust than I expected.

October (all 3 days of it): 285
November: 483
December: 291
January-to-date: 174

These are US Kindle sales. International Kindle sales are negligible for me. (I can actually pretty much put a name to each sale outside the US--I'm very glad they can get the book, because I love my international fans, but it's not a financially significant number.)

Smashwords, after a strong initial burst, dropped in the predicted curve into single digits per month and is currently at around 250 total sales. Kindle sales, though, continue to truck along--if anything, they've actually picked up a little in January.

Totaling all sales, including the occasional international one, we're looking at right around 1500 copies moved. At 3.99 apiece, after expenses I've made (or will hopefully make, when the checks arrive!) around $4K.

Still nowhere near my current earnings on trade published work, but we're starting to creep into the outskirts of "first-time advance for unagented genre fiction" territory. (And let's face it--for a novella to pay the rent for four months is pretty darn good! The lowly novella has never gotten much love.)

My advertising consisted of mentioning it on my blog and Twitter a couple times, two review copies, and my sig file here at Absolute Write. Have done no free offerings or jiggerings of price.

And that's what's happening here...

merrihiatt
01-18-2014, 05:51 AM
Thanks for updating. Nice numbers!

RedWombat
03-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Taper down is definitely in force!

Kindle sales:

January: 296
February: 148
March (as of today): 71

This is about what I expected, for not having released anything new. I've got a novella out for editing, which will be the backbone of a short story anthology I've been threatening for years, and hope to have that done in the next three or four months. (I suspect there will be a small bounce in Nine Goblins sales when it hits--we'll find out!)

Smashwords sales have plummeted--I get maybe one a week--but I've moved 70+ copies via their Apple, Kobo, and B&N distribution, as well as 260 via the site itself, so while it's a small chunk of the overall pie, it seems worth the hassle--that's nearly a thousand dollars worth of sales, at my current royalty rate, and some of my readers will only read via those formats.

We're at about 1900 copies sold, all told, and that's pretty neat. Subtracting editing fees, that's about $5200 profit, which is better than I expected. My calculator informs me that's .13 a word, which is way over SFWA qualifying rates and starting to get into the unagented-genre-advance-for-a-novel range.

So that's where I'm at. As it slides from "paying the rent" status to "buying a round of groceries," I'm pretty content with how it turned out. I'd say it's successful, and I have plans to do more. It's certainly a good way to find a home for your novellas, and the long tail being what it is, I imagine it'll at least buy me coffee for a year or so to come.

bearilou
03-18-2014, 06:30 PM
HOW DID I MISS THIS THE FIRST TIME?

*shoves money in your hands and races off to buy*

RedWombat
03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Now that's what we like to hear! *grin* Hope you enjoy it!

RedWombat
04-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Kindle:
140 (including international)

Smashwords:
8 (including all platforms)

Not exactly burning up the charts, but not much of a decline on last month, either.

The really exciting thing for me this month was hearing from a fan who had bought the book without knowing I was the author.

Nine Goblins is under a pen-name, but I had assumed that 99% of the buyers knew it was me--I made no secret of it, it's just to keep minor fans of my MG series from buying it by mistake. So having somebody who knew me in passing buy the book without knowing the real name behind it was actually very exciting--it's getting out beyond me!

Dreity
04-04-2014, 09:10 PM
I bought this yesterday, and finished it before I went to bed. Absolutely adored it. :) I was reading passages aloud to my husband (a longtime tabletop nerd) and he kept doing this laugh-snort thing, which is high praise indeed. I posted in the SFF subforum about it, so I hope that leads more forumites to it!

Ann Joyce
04-05-2014, 01:27 AM
Those are still pretty awesome numbers, RedWombat! Congrats!

RedWombat
04-05-2014, 08:29 AM
I bought this yesterday, and finished it before I went to bed. Absolutely adored it. :) I was reading passages aloud to my husband (a longtime tabletop nerd) and he kept doing this laugh-snort thing, which is high praise indeed. I posted in the SFF subforum about it, so I hope that leads more forumites to it!

Oh, holy mackerel! Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

RedWombat
06-04-2014, 11:58 PM
So I had the great good fortune of having a short story of mine linked from io9, metafilter, the AV Club and Neatorama a couple days ago--it was a short bit of silliness from the POV of the Sea Witch in the Little Mermaid, and the recent Maleficent movie got interest in villains going.

11K hits on the page! Which had, at the top of the blog-post, a direct Amazon link to Nine Goblins! Which translated to...(drumroll please)...

35 sales!

I am not complaining, mind you--that's a hundred bucks and hopefully 35 new readers, and a lot of nice things said about the short story! And I'm very touched that people liked it enough to write and link it! (Plus you can never really quantify some of these things--I might someday get an anthology invite or whatever because somebody remembered that story. Not everything can get reduced to sales numbers.)

But this sort of thing is why I place little emphasis on advertising--that's a lot of traffic for my site (I average around 300 page views a day) all directly from people self-selected to enjoy this sort of thing, and it's still not an enormous bump in sales. Page hits are not enough to move books.

But hey, I get a grocery run out of it, so I'm happy!

LBlankenship
06-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Woohoo! high fives

SunshineonMe
06-06-2014, 05:56 AM
Sooo happy for you!! Congratulations!

HistorySleuth
06-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Awesome reports. I'd say your doing well and getting some exposure which is great! And you have a nice stack of reviews on Amazon, impressive. That's one of the hardest parts.

Norman D Gutter
06-13-2014, 06:36 PM
RW: Those are sales numbers to die for for most of us self-publishing bottom dwellers. Congratulations. Hope book two is as successful, and boosts book one in the process.

NDG

RedWombat
06-15-2014, 05:14 AM
Aww, thanks, guys!

I'm a little irked at myself for not having finished another book by now--you'd think with all this flailing, I'd have accomplished more! :P But hopefully I'll finally get the anthology I've been planning out either next month or in August...

RedWombat
07-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Good lord, where does the time go? Last totals I posted were March!

Kindle:

April: 111
May: 86
June: 74

It's difficult to decipher Smashwords numbers by month, but it appears we moved 6 copies in June (and the effort to spelunk backwards in time is beyond me this morning, but I doubt it's much more than that.)

Taper down is still in full effect, but we seem to be at around 2250 copies sold, all told.

Getting antsy for the next one, but still waiting on editorial notes...*chews nails*

cwbrowning
07-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Wow! Great numbers! Congratulations!

RedWombat
08-03-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm going to be self-pubbing an anthology here shortly--reprinted short stories and a new novella--and I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid the Smashwords meat grinder. I can put together a fairly slick ePub/.mobi version, but having to go back to Word and hand-create a table of contents, manually add titles and so forth is...not so much a lot of work as an obnoxious duplication of work.

Draft2Digital is getting rave reviews from my friends for uploading to various stores, apparently very fast compared to Smashwords, and they'll work of an ePub--my only concern is losing those few readers who require a format like .txt or .pdf, which Smashwords is good about supplying.

I'm thinking that I will just upload an ePub to Smashwords, for the few buyers there, and try D2D for the other stores, plus Amazon of course. We'll see if that has a significant impact on sales...

J. Tanner
08-03-2014, 08:43 PM
You can upload your EPUB directly to Smashwords now. The only change you must make is their (annoying) requirement to have "Smashwords Edition" in the front.

Despite that, D2D has really caught up, and I use them for Kobo, BN, and iTunes with more recent uploads.

I still upload to SW for access to their store, coupon access, and the few smaller outlets that I think I've sold 1 copy on in the last two years. But visibility is visibility and it wasn't any more work.

WriterBN
08-03-2014, 10:40 PM
I heard that ePub files were a problem for Smashwords, even though they accept them now. I didn't have any problems with D2D.

RedWombat
08-04-2014, 02:49 AM
I'm definitely gonna upload the ePub to Smashwords--thanks, J. Tanner, didn't know I had to include that edition note! I shall be careful to do so...

Polenth
08-04-2014, 05:37 AM
I heard that ePub files were a problem for Smashwords, even though they accept them now. I didn't have any problems with D2D.

I did the direct epub thing on Smashwords. The only issue I had was this:

Smashwords uses an older epub validator, which has a bug. The bug is it won't take all of the allowed values for a certain attribute - preserveAspectRatio. The solution to this (as I'm using Calibre to convert from html) is to go into "EPUB Output" when setting the conversion and tick "Preserve cover aspect ratio". This changes the value in preserveAspectRatio, and Smashwords is happy.

It's a pretty simple thing to do, so not a huge issue really. Other than that, I didn't have any problems. Smashwords won't generate other files from the epub, but really they're better for their distribution than the sales on their site anyway.

RedWombat
08-04-2014, 06:13 AM
Thank you, Polenth! That's super helpful to know--I use Calibre too...

RedWombat
08-05-2014, 11:32 PM
My quick and unscientific poll of the readership is that 95% are fine with ePub, Kindle, or one of the stores like Kobo or Nook, and very very few require the PDF version available via Smashwords.

My solution is to upload the ePub version to Smashwords and offer the PDF for direct sale to those specific readers--they're mostly long-time fans and I don't mind selling a half-dozen or so copies via Paypal--I don't wanna leave them behind!

Draft2Digital was very straightforward to use for uploads. I'm waiting to see how long it takes to push out to the various stores, though.

All that said...it's launch day. I am nauseated and tense and can't sit still, so that's all normal! (Why did we become authors, again? I could be digging ditches right now! Glorious, glorious ditches!)

Aerial
08-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Just read page 1 on Amazon's look inside feature and I am so going to buy Nine Goblins when I get home :D

I swear, nearly every good book recommendation that's come my way in the last 2 years has been from this site.

RedWombat
08-06-2014, 03:18 AM
Holy mackerel, Draft2Digital ported "Toad Words" to Kobo in four hours! Smashwords literally took a month. I am amazed. If they handle the others in under a week, they will have beaten Smashwords on delivery time by a couple of orders of magnitude.

RedWombat
08-06-2014, 03:18 AM
Just read page 1 on Amazon's look inside feature and I am so going to buy Nine Goblins when I get home :D

I swear, nearly every good book recommendation that's come my way in the last 2 years has been from this site.

Aww, thank you! I hope you enjoy it!

Friendly Frog
08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
My solution is to upload the ePub version to Smashwords and offer the PDF for direct sale to those specific readers--they're mostly long-time fans and I don't mind selling a half-dozen or so copies via Paypal--I don't wanna leave them behind!
Which is much appreciated!

Happy launch day!:e2cheer:

(I'll get into the 21st century and to other e-books formats... eventually, and Nine Goblins will probably be the first then. But I want Toad Words now. :D)

J. Tanner
08-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Holy mackerel, Draft2Digital ported "Toad Words" to Kobo in four hours! Smashwords literally took a month. I am amazed. If they handle the others in under a week, they will have beaten Smashwords on delivery time by a couple of orders of magnitude.

I've seen iTunes show up in less than 24 hours too through D2D. In general, they seem WAY faster, but it's not 100%. I got frustrated with the speed to KOBO last time out and uploaded to both SW and D2D in a "race" for my business. D2D won, but it was weeks later. I then canceled the SW version, so who knows if it would have been a day or a month....

RedWombat
08-07-2014, 02:57 AM
They had a one day turnaround on getting it onto Nook--just landed there. (Also Scribd and something called Inktera I've never even heard of, but hey, a sale's a sale...)

RedWombat
08-08-2014, 01:53 AM
So a few thoughts, now that Toad Words and Other Stories has been out for THREE WHOLE DAYS. (Madness!) But it's earned out what I spent on editing in that time, which is lovely.

Definitely a small bump for my first SP book, Nine Goblins. Since Smashwords is kind enough to send a receipt with what the buyer bought, I can see that a dozen or so people bought both books simultaneously. Which I expected, but it's nice to see I'm right.

Did not really get this bump on Amazon, interestingly enough--sales on Nine Goblins ticked up a couple copies, but not as many as Smashwords, even though I sold three times as many copies on Amazon. Dunno if that's due to the way the pages are displayed or what.

(Also, I sold three times as many copies on Amazon as Smashwords.)

That said, though, Smashwords continued to be a valiant chunk of sales--80+ copies! While long-term sales are infinitely better at Amazon, Smashwords is clearly worth it, particularly as an ePub only upload so I don't mess around with the meatgrinder. (I'm assuming that's mostly readers who, for whatever reason, do not wish to mess about with Amazon, although I know a few wanted the book NOW and were not willing to wait for Nook or Kobo.)

Very happy with Draft2Digital, all in all. I could wish they'd tell me which platforms the books are selling on, the way Smashwords does--I know I've sold 15 copies, but Nook? Kobo? Don't know. Still, that's minor and for my own amusement.

ETA: Just checked the numbers, and to my intense amusement, I have sold EXACTLY as many copies on Amazon in three days as I did of Nine Goblins. From this I can calculate that I have exactly 285 Kindle-reading fans who have to have the book immediately upon release. Well, that's nice to know...

As for what I'd consider success...well. I pretty much figure I'd like to make eight cents a word, which is SFWA qualifying rates. Nine Goblins has managed double that, and still averages about 1.5 sales a day. Toad Words runs 45K, so...$3600, plus the $250 I spent on editing the novella.

So if my math is correct, 1300 copies would be the point at which I cannot possibly complain about how the book is doing. *grin* (Since it's an anthology, a notoriously low-sales sort of book, I do not dare hope for more.) We are still substantially off from that, but we'll see how it goes!

RedWombat
08-13-2014, 08:36 PM
A week on, and 600 copies sold! Doing very well (by my standards, anyhow.)

Solid sales through Draft2Digital--about 10% of total--but also very solid through Smashwords, at around 20% of total. (3 people have availed themselves of buying a PDF directly.)

Those sales alone would be enough to keep me on Smashwords for the ePub, but people also seem to be buying it who specifically want to avoid any particular platform, and I'd stay there to cater to that, even if sales were lower.

Sales bump on Nine Goblins was nothing to sneeze at, about 40 copies or so--that's a round of groceries, so I'm not complaining!--and now it's easing back down toward the 1.5 copies a day it had settled on.

One really cool thing was a review on Amazon (okay, I actually looked at a review, I never do that) saying that they didn't know who I was but saw the book on Amazon recommendations. Since I sort of assume that all sales are to long-time fans of my art and whatnot, it was very gratifying to see that people are finding it in other ways!

RedWombat
09-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Sales report for the first month of the Toad Words anthology:

Amazon: 629
Smashwords: 135
Draft2Digital: 98
PDF direct sales: 4

August Total: 866

Which was about what I got at a month in on Nine Goblins, the first book I released, so I can extrapolate that there's not quite 900 people who will buy one of my books right out of the gate. *grin* (Thank you, slightly under 900 people! You rock!)

The nice thing is that on Smashwords, at least, I can track a whole bunch of people (40, to be precise) who bought Nine Goblins paired with Toad Words. (Which probably means they were existing fans who hadn't known I had another book out, or that they REALLY enjoyed the samples, one of the two.) Since Nine Goblins was moving like 5 copies a month on Smashwords, that's a huge bump there. It also got a bump on Kindle, with 94 sales, which is up significantly from the June & July numbers.

This is all pretty much what common wisdom said would happen--that the best advertisement for a book is a new book!--but it's nice to see it with real numbers!

I hope to have another T. Kingfisher novel out in November--currently at the editor--so we'll see how that much of a shot in the arm that gives the other two. (My guess is that a novel will sell better than an anthology, but I don't know for certain.)

Norman D Gutter
09-06-2014, 03:05 AM
Awesome sales.
*jealous*

SBibb
09-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Congratulations on the awesome sales! :-D

Mclesh
09-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Well done, Red Wombat!

HistorySleuth
09-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Holy cow! Great job on sales. Congrats!

SunshineonMe
09-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Wooohooo!

RedWombat
09-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks, guys!

lauralam
09-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Just read through this thread and it's ace! I'm also going the hybrid route. First books with a smaller press which has now folded, and just got a very nice deal with Macmillan. Self-publishing book 3 in the orphaned series and releasing shorts/novellas this year. Really wonderful to see how many of your usual readers seem to be following over to your self-published work!

RedWombat
09-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Hybrid definitely seems to be the money-making route, in my very limited experience! (Sadly I don't quite get in on that as much, since my widely published stuff is children's books, so I'm self-pubbing under a pen-name. Still, the carryover from my old comic and my blog is pretty good!)

RedWombat
09-12-2014, 11:03 PM
About 90 copies sold so far this month. That's not a bad total, of course (I'll gladly take the money!) but it seems to be dropping off a lot faster than Nine Goblins did, averaging four or six copies a day instead of ten to seven.

My suspicion is that it's because it's an anthology, and while people will risk money on an unknown novel or novella, an anthology is just plain a harder sell. (Which I knew going in...)

I have an article coming out in a speculative fiction blog which will hopefully kick up a few more sales, but it seems like the taper may set in faster and harder on anthologies. (Or, for all I know, it's the phase of the moon. Or sunspots. Or that this book isn't funny and the novella was. I am extrapolating from very little data here!)

My next novel is tentatively scheduled for November--we'll see how that drives things. After that, there'll probably be a six-to-eight month gap, unless one of my WIP suddenly wants to be done RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

My ultimate goal these days is to have enough of a backlist that I can bring in basic living expenses every month. (Figure a thousand bucks, give or take.) That'll take awhile, obviously, but while I currently make a decent living as a children's book author, it'd be nice to have a reasonably solid income that doesn't hinge on the good graces of any given publisher.

Nine Goblins eventually averaged out to 1.5 sales a day, give or take, and seemed to be holding steady there. If most of my books settle down to that level, allowing for some wiggle room and variations on pricing, I could reasonably earn that on a backlist of a dozen books. (Assuming the market doesn't crash, assuming Amazon doesn't change their percentages, assuming I am not caught up in an international scandal involving a goat...)

So that's my current self-publishing goal. Writers of weird, quirky fairy-tale retellings do not generally make enormous fortunes on the backs of those retellings, but I'd be pretty happy just to make rent.

lauralam
09-14-2014, 12:18 AM
That's my goal as well--basic bills through self-publishing which would arrive each month, and money from trade pubbed books for extras/travel/overpaying the mortgage/retirement.

RedWombat
09-15-2014, 04:52 AM
With launching the new book, I have neglected to calculate sales on the old one for a few months! So for Nine Goblins, the sales went as follows...

July:
Kindle: 45
Smashwords: 10

August:
Kindle: 104
Smashwords: 35

(You can see the size of the bump from releasing the new books there, as Toad Words hit in early August!)

I'm a little surprised at the sheer strength of the Smashwords bump, honestly--I had sort of written them off as a platform, now that Draft2Digital has proved so responsive, but they're moving books. Go figure!

RedWombat
09-20-2014, 05:11 PM
A great day for round numbers yesterday! We hit 1000 copies of Toad Words sold and 2500 of Nine Goblins!

(Which means...not that much, but I like round numbers, damnit!)

Small bump for Toad Words for an article I did for the online Bull Spec, a local SF magazine. And I finally got off my ass and did a web page just for the T. Kingfisher stuff, which involved a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

HistorySleuth
09-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Wonderful Red!!!

RedWombat
10-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Update time, as we're at the end of the month!

September:
Toad Words
Kindle: 167
Draft2Digital: 17
Smashwords: 14
Total: 198

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 63
Smashwords: 12
Total: 75

Total Sales to Date
Toad Words: 1064
Nine Goblins: 2519

Toad Words is definitely dropping off faster than Nine Goblins--I sold about a hundred more copies the second full month of NG than I have of TW. Phase of the moon? Anthologies not as popular? I dunno.

My guess would be the latter--I think people are more likely to take a chance on a novella by an unknown author than an anthology--but in fairness, it cost half as much to put together, so I'm in no position to complain. Or possibly I was just tweeting about it less because everything landed SO FAST via D2D, and I wasn't doing a weekly update with "Now on Kobo! Now finally on iTunes!" etc.

We'll see how the novel I'm scheduling for November does--if it's more like NG, then hey, maybe it's an anthology thing, if it's more like TW, then I'll chalk it up to other factors...

(By the way, thank you all for bearing with me--this thread has been very useful for me keeping track of my own stuff, which otherwise would be lost in spreadsheets unknown.)

RedWombat
11-04-2014, 01:10 AM
Toad Words
Kindle: 116
D2D: 19
Smashwords: 7
PDF Direct Sales: 1
Total: 143

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 42
Smashwords: 11
Total: 53

Total Sales to Date
Toad Words: 1207
Nine Goblins: 2572

I did absolutely no promo or even paid attention this month, because I was on book tour for my trade pubbed stuff (and then curled in fetal position recovering from book tour!) So this is all news to me, too!

Toad Words didn't do too badly for its third month--not as well as Nine Goblins, but not too far off, and I'm going with "anthologies are hard." I did have a pretty well received short story in the Women Destroy Fantasy anthology come out under my pen name, so that may have given it a bit of legs, but I don't know how much click through there was.

Nine Goblins dropped back to where it was before the second book came out, but got a significant two month bump. (I'm defining "significant" as "a month worth of groceries and the expensive hypoallergenic pet food." I have very simple standards.)

Either next week or the week after, I'll be releasing "Seventh Bride," a full-length novel of the same fairy-tale retelling style as "Toad Words." We'll see whether novels move better than anthologies, and how much of a bump it gives the other two!

RedWombat
11-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Editor just handed back the copy-edited manuscript for the novel. Now I wrangle it into ebook shape and send to my final posse of typo-slayers.

TODAY, WE FORMAT! *screams, charges the barricades*

RedWombat
11-13-2014, 02:03 AM
I assume there's some point when I have done this often enough that hitting the "Save and Publish" button doesn't fill me with queasy dread, but I am not there yet. (And Amazon caught two typos that three seriously eagle-eyed proofreaders didn't. Typoooooooo! *shakes fist*)

I hadn't planned to do this quite so soon--I'm traveling this weekend, which is always death--but Draft2Digital very kindly sent out a letter saying that iBooks was worried about Black Friday's massive hit on the system and so if we didn't get stuff in by this Friday, it wouldn't go live on Apple's servers until after the 1st of December. Props to D2D for mentioning that, that's a courtesy e-mail I've never gotten from anyone else.

Still getting people buying PDF's directly--five so far today--and if I keep this up, I should probably just set up a direct-download storefront on the website rather than doing it all by hand. (I certainly don't MIND doing it, but in my experience, people hate to bother you and it's much easier if they can just click a button.)

I've heard good things about Payhip, but I'm a little reluctant because once I'm the provider, I can't go "Oo, sounds like Amazon's problem, e-mail them?" and have to cover tech support. A buddy of mine is still shellshocked from the time she had to troubleshoot a book download for a customer who eventually mentioned that oh, hey, they were on Internet Explorer 6 in a secure government facility, could that be part of the problem? (You can't make this stuff up...)

slhuang
11-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Congrats on the new release! :D

I've heard good things about Payhip,

I got Payhip all set up and then saw something about how I'd have to worry about SALES TAX and was like, "..." and decided to wait until I had more brain space. ;) I'd love to see how you handle that if you do it....

RedWombat
11-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I got Payhip all set up and then saw something about how I'd have to worry about SALES TAX and was like, "..." and decided to wait until I had more brain space. ;) I'd love to see how you handle that if you do it....

I've generally found sales tax not that troublesome, selling art--I mean, I sell a lot of art, but almost none of it is local/ in the flesh, so the actual wrangling is very minimal. It only comes up as a major nuisance when I sell physical art at a table at conventions, and have to get tax ID numbers for the local sales & use tax. (The Pennsylvania sales tax system is positively Byzantine, BTW.)

One thing I'll give Amazon in the throwing-weight-around department is holding the line on tax for internet commerce.

RedWombat
11-19-2014, 10:24 PM
First week of Seventh Bride has gotten just shy of 650 sales, fifty sales more than we managed on the first two books in the first week. That's great, as far as I'm concerned--means initial sales numbers are going up, and by a fairly respectable percentage. (We'll see if that cannibalizes later sales, though--if the people who already know about the books are just buying them sooner, rather than later.)

This is particularly encouraging because Seventh Bride is a buck more than the other two, and is still selling a bit better!

A semi-significant bump for Toad Words--about twenty more copies on Kindle and maybe five or ten more on Smashwords and Draft2Digital. Nine Goblins got half that bump. I'm gonna guess (and I could be wrong) that the similar covers for Toad and Bride contributed to that.

We'll see where we are at the end of the month...

ETA: Should have waited a few hours--we tacked on another 15 sales! So the first week is definitely ahead of previous books, by 10% or so.

RedWombat
12-01-2014, 02:39 AM
It's the end of the month, so sales roundup time!

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 1086
D2D: 105
Smashwords: 102
PDF Direct Sales: 9
Total: 1302

Toad Words
Kindle: 152
D2D: 20
Smashwords: 18
PDF Direct Sales: 4
Total: 194

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 91
Smashwords: 23
Total: 114

Total Sales to Date
Seventh Bride: 1302
Toad Words: 1401
Nine Goblins: 2686

A really strong release for Seventh Bride compared to the last two--did more in the first month than Nine Goblins did in the first two-and-some-change, and got within spitting distance of lifetime sales on Toad Words. I like to think it was a good cover, and that we're getting some word of mouth, but it was still a surprising jump!

My paying-pro-word-rates point for Seventh Bride is right around 1300 copies, and we're nearly there already, which is awesome.

So since I seem to be making SFWA rates on these pretty consistently, what's my next goal? (We are authors! We do not get to enjoy success! We move the goalposts so that we are failing harder! THIS IS HOW WE KEEP OURSELVES HUMBLE AND DERANGED!)

Well, an unagented manuscript of this sort would...well, possibly never be published, my agent AND trade editor gave this one the big 'ol "No, seriously, you think this is a kid's book?" side-eye* but the Author Advance Survey 2.0 thinks that an average for an unagented not-a-debut fantasy novel is $7250.

At the current royalty rate, we're looking at a smidge over 2000 copies sold to hit that. That seems like an entirely doable goal with Seventh Bride.

Onward! Upward! All that stuff!

*In retrospect, they were entirely correct, but I'm slow on the uptake sometimes...

Dreity
12-01-2014, 05:28 AM
*continues to throw money at RedWombat*

So happy for all the success you've had, and wishing you so much more. :)

Friendly Frog
12-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I'm with Dreity on all counts. :)

brasiliareview
12-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks for continuing to update this thread. It's fascinating and informative. May good fortune continue to shine upon you!

RedWombat
12-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Thank you all! (And extra thanks to those throwing money!)

The thread is super helpful for ME--record keeping isn't my strong suit and I would have no idea how sales were if I wasn't tracking with it.

RedWombat
12-03-2014, 07:24 PM
...huh.

I will be honest, I did not think Cyber Monday applied to e-books. This was probably naive of me, but you gotta figure that people are looking for bargains, and books are...I dunno, different. I never go out and buy a book based on the fact that it's Cyber Monday--particularly if the book isn't on sale!

Nevertheless, on Kindle at least, there was a startling bump running from Sunday night into Tuesday that I can only really attribute to Cyber Monday. (I have to go adjust last month's numbers because stuff really started moving Sunday night!)

I literally moved 275 books in those three days, well above the numbers I moved on any day this month except for the release of a new book. It was even better than Day 2 of release, when I can generally count on some really solid sales.
(Given how fast sales drop off, the chart looks like a mountain range with Everest at one end and then K2 over at the other...)

This bump was not mirrored by Smashwords or Draft2D--Kindle only!

So I dunno if people were attracted to Amazon's various sales and a rising tide lifts all boats, etc, or what, but it was really unexpected. Not that I'm complaining!

RedWombat
12-07-2014, 11:08 PM
So my initial suspicions may actually have been correct--I don't think Black Friday DOES do that much for books.

However, according to a friend who actually has a Kindle, Seventh Bride was a Kindle daily deal. It appears to have been one for a couple of days, actually--I have no idea how the "daily" part works, but it's been up as a daily deal for multiple days for her now.

I'm wondering if the sudden spike a week ago was actually a result of it being a daily deal. That would explain why it only appeared on Amazon, not through any other outlets.

If this is the case, then numbers would seem to indicate that a daily deal for someone in my genre is worth around five hundred sales in a week.

Which is super awesome, and I am NOT complaining--that's way over what it was doing, and I hope some of those readers stick around!

But...interesting. Not something one can control for, obviously. It's starting to taper off again now--still a bit higher than before, presumably because it went up the ranks a bit, but sliding down.

Huh. Neat!

Hildegarde
12-11-2014, 11:39 PM
So since I seem to be making SFWA rates on these pretty consistently, what's my next goal? (We are authors! We do not get to enjoy success! We move the goalposts so that we are failing harder! THIS IS HOW WE KEEP OURSELVES HUMBLE AND DERANGED!)

:D Speaking for myself, mostly deranged.

AndreaGS
12-12-2014, 07:50 AM
:D Speaking for myself, mostly deranged.

LOL, pretty much. Don't forget to stay terrified that people will hate your next book :tongue

Congrats on all your success! I love that books that wouldn't normally get published can thrive in the self-publishing arena.

Norman D Gutter
12-13-2014, 12:09 AM
Glad you've found a niche that results in sales, RW. Continuing wishes for good luck in the future.

NDG

RedWombat
12-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Well, here we are, the last day of the year. Time to tally the December sales numbers!

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 1469
D2D: 34
Smashwords: 14
PDF Direct Sales: 0
Total: 1517

Toad Words
Kindle: 254
D2D: 10
Smashwords: 9
Total: 273

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 189
Smashwords: 15
Total: 204

Total Sales to Date
Seventh Bride: 2819
Toad Words: 1674
Nine Goblins: 2890

So last month was pretty much the best month I've ever done for self-pub sales, and I didn't even have a new book out.

I assume being a Kindle Daily Deal was the primary reason, but I actually moved more copies of Seventh Bride the second month than I did in the first, and it gave a big bump to the other two along the way. Very little advertising, all word of mouth and friends on Twitter mentioning it...and of course, the Kindle Daily Deal thing.

It's trending down now, of course, but that was a nice jump.

Other overall trends of note--I am confirmed that my initial rush of readers buys on all platforms, including Smashwords, but once that first flush passes, everybody else is finding it on Kindle.

Finally, Seventh Bride is selling much faster than Nine Goblins did. I don't know if that's something specific to this book or what, but I guess I'll find out next May when I release my next fairy-tale retelling.

(My personal guess? Bird skull on the cover. Bird skulls sell. If we put Cloak Guy on the cover holding a bird skull, perhaps against a snowy background with a dark figure walking away, I would sell ALL THE BOOKS FOREVER.)

RedWombat
02-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Seventh Bride
Kindle: 1051
D2D: 35
Total: 1097

Toad Words
Kindle: 217
D2D: 7
Smashwords: 6
Total: 230

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 295
Total: 305

Total Sales to Date
Seventh Bride: 3916
Toad Words: 1904
Nine Goblins: 3195

January did not suck.

Seventh Bride is starting to slide a little--to be expected!--but Nine Goblins actually had a really good month for a book that's a year and a half old, and Toad Words rallied and brought home rent money, so I cannot complain in the slightest.

jnfr
02-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Very happy to see that your projects are doing great! It's well-deserved, you know, since your work is awesome.

RedWombat
02-19-2015, 05:22 AM
So...the thing that never happens kinda happened.

Amazon's 47North imprint contacted me and made me an offer for Seventh Bride. My agent (thank god I have an agent!) took over from there and did agent-y things and we just accepted the revised offer.

I didn't expect this. I certainly never thought of this as a stepping stone to trade publishing--I mean, I've GOT trade publishing deals, this was my self-pub pen-name for a reason--but here we are. Amazon can market the hell outta the pen name a lot more effectively than I can, and I hope to have another SP out between now and the Amazon release, so that there's a second book for people to jump on. (My agent specifically carved out the non-compete agreement to not-apply to this SP book. She is a very good agent.)

So I guess my attempt to go hybrid has doubled back on itself. I am both relieved that I can sell a book twice (I always felt like the trade deals were mad flukes) and surprised and...well, yeah!

Life, man. Life is bizarre.

slhuang
02-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Congratulations! :D

M. H. Lee
02-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Congrats! That's great news. I've heard of other self-publishers being contacted by one of the Amazon imprints and being quite pleased with the results. So, good on you!

dpaterso
02-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Pretty amazing news, congrats and well done, then again you've got pretty amazing super attractive product.

-Derek

Little Ming
02-19-2015, 10:47 PM
So...the thing that never happens kinda happened.

Amazon's 47North imprint contacted me and made me an offer for Seventh Bride. My agent (thank god I have an agent!) took over from there and did agent-y things and we just accepted the revised offer.

I didn't expect this. I certainly never thought of this as a stepping stone to trade publishing--I mean, I've GOT trade publishing deals, this was my self-pub pen-name for a reason--but here we are. Amazon can market the hell outta the pen name a lot more effectively than I can, and I hope to have another SP out between now and the Amazon release, so that there's a second book for people to jump on. (My agent specifically carved out the non-compete agreement to not-apply to this SP book. She is a very good agent.)

So I guess my attempt to go hybrid has doubled back on itself. I am both relieved that I can sell a book twice (I always felt like the trade deals were mad flukes) and surprised and...well, yeah!

Life, man. Life is bizarre.

Wow. Congratulations, indeed! :D

I'm one of the few people who still doesn't have an e-reader, so I really don't read self-published books. But seeing so many great books from AWers... oh, my poor wallet.

Mclesh
02-19-2015, 11:02 PM
Congratulations! That is very exciting news. What an unexpected gift!

raelwv
02-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Very cool - congrats!

RedWombat
03-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Can I just say that I am horrified that it is already March?

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 787
D2D: 17
Smashwords: 5
Total: 809

Toad Words
Kindle: 136
Smashwords: 3
Total: 146

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 104
Total: 111

Total Sales to Date
Seventh Bride: 4725
Toad Words: 2050
Nine Goblins: 3306

February was a pretty hard drop from January--mind you, February is always rough for art sales, too, so I'm not terribly surprised. (One of my short stories was nominated for a Nebula award, but that didn't garner a lot of advertising, probably because of the pen-name. But on the next anthology I do, I can put "Includes the Nebula Nominated "Jackalope Wives" and that does not suck!)

Still, even with the drop, for Goblins and Toad Words, we're back to around where we were last November--and it's a short month, too. So we've dropped back to "much better than things were doing before Bride came out" and that's not a bad place at all. Self-pub still brought in enough to live on for the month, which is victory, so far as I'm concerned!

My next Kingfisher novel is due out in May, a retelling of Beauty & the Beast, and I'm hoping it'll jam everything back into high gear for a few months. (After that, future is murky...I have a project going that is probably going to be a novella on the shorter side, and might put it out for 2.99 toward the end of the year, if it all comes together.)

At the moment, I am trying to work like the Amazon deal is not there, because I have absolutely no way of preparing for whatever it may bring, so all I can do is keep on keepin' on.

M. H. Lee
03-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Congratulations on the Nebula nomination!

And on the continued strong sales.

RedWombat
03-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Thank you!

raelwv
03-02-2015, 07:48 AM
One of my short stories was nominated for a Nebula award

Congrats!

RedWombat
04-01-2015, 01:54 AM
Seventh Bride
Kindle: 858
D2D: 15
Total: 879

Toad Words
Kindle: 137
D2D: 5
Smashwords: 2
Total: 144

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 119
Total: 126

Total Sales to Date
Seventh Bride: 5604
Toad Words: 2194
Nine Goblins: 3432

(Note: Mid-day on the 31st when I'm writing this, may yet be tweaked!)

Pretty much on par with February--stuff is going down, but very slowly. Bride continues to sell really well by my standards, cracked 5K, and is on its way to hit 6K copies sold in April.

I'm a poor prophet, but I suspect April will be more of the same, and then I've got another novel landing in May, and that will probably give everything a solid kick upwards for a little while.

Onward!

M. H. Lee
04-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Another awesome month. Congrats!

RedWombat
05-01-2015, 04:02 AM
Seventh Bride
Kindle: 612
D2D: 12
Total: 627

Toad Words
Kindle: 91
Smashwords: 1
Total: 97

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 76
Total: 81

Total Sales to Date
Seventh Bride: 6231
Toad Words: 2291
Nine Goblins: 3513

At last, a fairly steep drop-off. I think tax season may be partly responsible--April's always death--but honestly I'm surprised it took this long. Bride's been popular for a lot longer than I expected--for a book that came out in November to still be moving over 500 copies a month half a year later is pretty damn impressive by my personal standards, if not anybody else's.

Fortunately, I've got a new book coming out next month, so hopefully that'll give everything a bit of a kick, and hold me through November when Seventh Bride gets re-released by 47north.

Still can't complain. Both older books brought in grocery money, and Bride paid the rent and a bit extra. If Bryony & Roses (which I think is the title of the next book) does half as well as Bride, that's another couple months of rent and I shall be quite pleased with the outcome.

(Tangentially, quite impressed with the speed at which 47north is moving on Bride, and they've hooked me up with a very thorough editor as well. So that's a data point in their favor! I'm really hoping for the bump that Amazon's marketing machine can give the T. Kingfisher pen name--I'll be very interested to see how sales of the other books go up once it gets re-released in November, and hope to have another book ready to go fairly early next year to take advantage of the marketing.)

RedWombat
05-19-2015, 10:02 PM
I have this dream that some day I will have released enough self-published books that I will no longer panic and flail and spasm on launch day.

Today is not that day.

*waits for Kindle*
*sweats*

RedWombat
05-19-2015, 11:05 PM
So I say to a friend of mine "You seem so calm on book launch day, while I'm a flailing muppet-like wreck. Are you really calm or do you just not cry in public?"

"I just try not to throw up until the first reviews come in," she said.

Friendly Frog
05-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Oooh! :hooray:

You know, I never realised there was this massive, gardening-herione-shaped whole in my library until just now when I read the blurb.

RedWombat
05-20-2015, 05:57 PM
I hope she fills that hole nicely!

First day sales are actually a sharp improvement over last release--we've cracked 350 sales in less than 24 hours, between Kindle and Smashwords. No longer trapped at 285 or whatever my weird magic number was! Yaaaaay!

If I can get up to 650 in opening week again, I will be happy, although this cover does suffer a distinct lack of bird skulls.

While I'm getting a couple of extra sales on Smashwords of the backlist (and I literally mean "a couple") not seeing the needle move at all on Kindle yet.

Draft2Digital is moving a little slower than usual--took them a day to get it on Kobo, as opposed to their usual four-hour turnarounds--and still no word on Nook or iBooks yet.

RedWombat
05-26-2015, 07:10 PM
At the one week mark, 836 copies sold. Does not suck! Better than any of the others have done so far. I am hoping that the popularity of Bride is carrying this one along. Small bump in sales on other books, but *very* small--not the usual jump. Still considering why that may be. Possibly these are all going to an established base who bought all the others already. Which is a mixed sort of thing.

Draft2Digital got most of the major stuff done the day after uploading, and straggled on one or two of the obscure ones for another day or two. Still infinitely better than Smashwords did!

Abderian
05-27-2015, 01:54 AM
Awesome, Red Wombat. Congratulations!

raelwv
05-27-2015, 05:51 AM
Well done!

RedWombat
06-02-2015, 04:59 AM
Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 1160
D2D: 90
Smashwords: 95
PDF Direct Sales: 2
Total: 1347

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 595
D2D: 18
Smashwords: 8
Total: 621

Toad Words
Kindle: 135
D2D: 4
Total: 142

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 94
Total: 103

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 1347
Seventh Bride: 6852
Toad Words: 2433
Nine Goblins: 3616

Release month for Bryony & Roses! A very strong start by my standards, and has been selling solidly for the last week as well. I've been eager to get this one out, since the 47North re-release of Bride lands in November, and I wanted a self-pubbed novel like that for readers brought in by the re-release to be able to buy.

Overall, sales continue their slow downward slide on Bride--even the new book only served to keep it steady, rather than bumping up. But for a book that's been out more than six months, I can't cry over the fact that it's still paying the rent AND groceries AND gas AND the high cost of medications for an elderly beagle. I mean, darn.

One of the things I've been wondering about with the re-release of Bride by a trade publisher is whether or not to re-cover the other books to match whatever 47North comes up with--I've got a trade dress going on for my fairy tale retellings, and I'm pretty sure that's helping sales a lot. But I just got the cover roughs for Bride and damn, it's nice! And I can't actually match it--I'm a totally different kind of artist! So I'm still not sure what to do there. I suppose I'll keep the covers I've got and just hope that people pick them up. (Maybe I can do something exciting with matching fonts...)

Norman D Gutter
06-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Keep up the good work, R.W.

NDG

M. H. Lee
06-08-2015, 01:17 AM
Congratulations on your Nebula win! Just saw it mentioned on Scalzi's blog.

RedWombat
06-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Thank you!

CathleenT
06-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Wow! A Nebula! I'm so glad for you. You give us all hope. (And the sales figures rock, too.) :partyguy:

SBibb
06-09-2015, 01:00 AM
Congratulations on the Nebula! I went and found Jackalope Wives online at the Apex website, and it was an enjoyable read. (Though I shouldn't have read it before bed-- I ended up with an odd, semi-related dream).

I need to pick up one of your actual books sometime. Do you plan to release a print version of them? :-)

RedWombat
06-12-2015, 05:36 AM
Thank you!

I haven't had plans to do print versions myself, partly because I cling to the notion that some small press somewhere will hop on it, partly because making them look good via Createspace will require more energy than I currently have to give.

Seventh Bride will get a print version via Amazon come November, though!

SBibb
06-13-2015, 01:57 AM
Good luck with getting a small press interested in the print versions. :-)

I'll have to keep an eye out for when the Seventh Bride comes out in paperback. :-D

RedWombat
07-02-2015, 04:15 AM
Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 1663
D2D: 49
Smashwords: 24
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 1736

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 562
D2D: 11
Total: 581

Toad Words
Kindle: 212
Total: 219

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 189
Total: 199

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 3083
Seventh Bride: 7433
Toad Words: 2652
Nine Goblins: 3815

...huh. Best month of self-pub ever, and that's even with Bride continuing down. Both Toad and Goblins got a substantial bump. It's looking like sales of Bryony are up about 10% in the first two months from where Bride was (and given that Bride was a Kindle Daily Deal over Cyber Monday, which Bryony hasn't been, that's really really good.) I'm cautiously optimistic that my fanbase is increasing past the readers of my occasional blog.

While it's not the huge honking one-time checks of my trade deals, Bride is still literally paying all my bills, eight months after release. The goblins of the Whinin' Nineteenth continue to buy me groceries, two and a half YEARS later. I feel weirdly grateful to all my creations, as if they're taking care of me.

(Also, thank heavens for this thread! My agent came back to me and asked about sales yesterday--we're negotiating to sell audiobook rights for one of 'em--and I was able to pull it up and go "Yes! Sales are up X amount!" with a minimum of flailing.)

RedWombat
07-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 749
D2D: 26
Total: 780

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 590
Total: 612

Toad Words
Kindle: 131
D2D: 1
Total: 134

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 146
Total: 155

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 3863
Seventh Bride: 8045
Toad Words: 2786
Nine Goblins: 3970

Obviously sales of Bryony went way down over last month. But we're still a good bit above where we were in April, so stuff is still benefiting from the bump. Three months out, Bryony is selling very close to what Bride did, but granted that it was over the summer doldrums rather than the Christmas season, and granted that Bride had the Amazon Kindle Deal thing going on, I think it's a rousing success.

Almost everything's down overall, as the new release slides back into memory, but Bride actually tacked on a few more sales over last month, and I really can't cry about the totals at all.

The Bride re-release in trade hits in November, and I haven't got the foggiest idea WHAT that will do as far as sales go. I'm hoping to have the next novel after that out in February--a retelling of the Snow Queen--but it's a weird book even by my standards and I am starting to feel the oh-god-let-this-not-be-a-career-killer nerves about it.

Oh well. Onward! Upward! Something like that!

RedWombat
09-01-2015, 03:19 AM
Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 534
D2D: 21
Total: 564

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 463
Total: 493

Toad Words
Kindle: 132
D2D: 9
Total: 148

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 118
Total: 133

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 4428
Seventh Bride: 8538
Toad Words: 2934
Nine Goblins: 4103

Slide downward continues. I don't anticipate a jump until November, and October may be really low, since I'll be pulling Bride before the re-release, and Bride's usually good for about a thousand dollars worth of sales a month.

Nevertheless, it's not terrible. It feels like a drop off, because Bride did so well for so long, but compared to sales before what was arguably my first big hit under the pen-name, it's really pretty solid. Toad Words keeps on trucking away, bringing home the groceries, Nine Goblins keeps me in cat litter and beagle meds, and Bryony more than pays the rent. I'm not quite at the point where I could make a living just on self-pub work--the tax bill is looming on the horizon, the beagle's health issues are legend, and I have a kid brother who's probably going to get into an expensive college--but we're rapidly moving to "self-pub pays the day-to-day bills and the trade books cover the big stuff" which has been my goal for a long time.

Also sold the audiobook rights to Bryony sort of out of the blue--my agent, who reps my trade work, is bemused but happy to rep all these contracts--so I'm happy to see that one getting an audiobook. No idea what the sales will look like, but there's an advance and that's nothing to sneeze at!

M. H. Lee
09-01-2015, 04:04 AM
Congrats on continued sales of the books and the audiobook deal. Your continued success inspires me.

(Also congrats and condolences on being on that Hugo top nominees list and congrats on your Alfie.)

RedWombat
09-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Thank you! 47north is super proud of the Alfie and insisted on putting it in my bio. I find that very amusing. *grin*

M. H. Lee
09-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Haha. That is funny. But, hey, one of the top names in the genre did give you an award, so why not mention it?

RedWombat
10-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 365
D2D: 16
Total: 383

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 358
Total: 376

Toad Words
Kindle: 100
Total: 115

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 80
Total: 87

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 4811
Seventh Bride: 8914
Toad Words: 3049
Nine Goblins: 4190

Well, September pretty well fell off a cliff. Down by a third or so, across the board. (Have heard that this isn't just me, though.) Hoping that November's release of Bride will kick things back up a notch!

M. H. Lee
10-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Still numbers I'd like to have. And, yes, I've heard that August/September were both pretty ugly across the board.

grayworld
10-04-2015, 04:46 AM
Thank you for the detailed info and congrats on the solid sales, RedWombat!

RedWombat
11-02-2015, 12:47 AM
Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 260
Total: 272

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 241
D2D: 0
Smashwords: 0
Total: 241

Toad Words
Kindle: 82
D2D: 2
Total: 87

Nine Goblins
Total: 63

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 5083
Seventh Bride: 9155
Toad Words: 3136
Nine Goblins: 4253

Well, those numbers were scary all right! Ouch. Then again, we're coming up on over a full year of self-pub paying the rent. And while it may not be covering all my living expenses these last few months (the beagle's meds are expensive!) it'd still be pretty churlish to complain.

I've pulled Bride off everything but Amazon in anticipation of the re-release (November 24th) by 47North. I doubt the knock-on sales of the last week will be enough to pull November out of more-of-the-same as this month (although Black Friday did make all the difference last year!) but hopefully it'll be a big enough release to make December more impressive.

RightHoJeeves
11-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Damn, that's good.

RedWombat
12-02-2015, 04:09 AM
Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 268
D2D: 8
Total: 279

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 175
Total: 176

Toad Words
Total: 82

Nine Goblins
Total: 89

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 5362
Seventh Bride: 9331
Toad Words: 3218
Nine Goblins: 4324

Things held remarkably steady last month. While the first part of the month continued to slide, since Bride's 47North release on the 24th, sales have trended slowly up on Bryony, with a big jump on Cyber Monday. Plus we got a really good review for Bride in NPR, which mentioned a couple other pieces, so hopefully that helps, too.

This is the last month where I'll list Bride sales, since it's now in the hands of the publisher. (Though I may make a note when or if the sales total exceeds the lifetime sales as self-pub, just because!)

RedWombat
01-26-2016, 11:45 PM
I have been woefully remiss on this one--busy few weeks...

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 260
D2D: 22
Total: 289

Seventh Bride (now trade published and so no longer being listed--these were two old sales trickling in)
Total: 2

Toad Words
Total: 94

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 85
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 93

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 5651
Seventh Bride: 9333
Toad Words: 3312
Nine Goblins: 4417

Gotta admit, was hoping that the re-release of Bride in trade would kick up the rest of sales a bunch. (A woman can dream!) But it kept everything steady, anyhow, which is not to be sneezed at, given that all of those books are essentially backlist at this point.

And next month, I'll have The Raven & The Reindeer out, which should do the usual spike on the sales of other books. Onward!

Friendly Frog
01-27-2016, 12:51 AM
And next month, I'll have The Raven & The Reindeer out, which should do the usual spike on the sales of other books. Onward!
Eeeeeee!

Looking forward to it! :)

RedWombat
02-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Yesterday was release day for The Raven & The Reindeer, and a whopping 465 sales in the first 24 hours! New personal best, and an improvement over Bryony's launch by nearly a hundred sales!

I gotta crunch the January numbers, which are fairly dismal, but things should be looking up this month!

Also, I must be getting better at this publishing thing, because I hardly panicked at all this time!

Cyia
02-09-2016, 11:21 PM
Yesterday was release day for The Raven & The Reindeer, and a whopping 465 sales in the first 24 hours!

DUDE!

J. Tanner
02-09-2016, 11:58 PM
#1 in several categories too. That's pretty sweet. Congrats.

ASeiple
02-10-2016, 12:13 AM
*Spit-take* Holy heck!

Well done, Wombat!

akaria
02-10-2016, 01:09 AM
Wow! That's an awesome first day!

raelwv
02-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Clap clap clap clap clap . . .

Nice!

ZachJPayne
02-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Well done, Red! :)

RedWombat
02-12-2016, 06:19 AM
Thank you all for the kind words! At the time of this writing, we've cracked 700 copies for Raven in four days--not too shabby!

But now, the dismal business of January...

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 182
Total: 198

Toad Words
Kindle: 65
Total: 68

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 71
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 74

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 5849
Toad Words: 3380
Nine Goblins: 4491

Well, let's just say I'm really really glad that Raven's having such a good launch! And that, for whatever weird reason, nothing's doing more than nudging the backlist recently. I got used to a new release really kicking up sales of the backlist, but the re-release of Bride and the new release of Raven haven't moved the needle at all. Go figure.

Still, this is the first month since it came out last May that Bryony hasn't paid the rent, so I feel like a bit of an ingrate complaining. Any book that supports me for eight months deserves only praise, even if it's finally sliding down to buying groceries.

(Weirdly enough, looking at the Amazon sales, the only thing getting a bump at the moment is Toad Words. No idea why that would be the case. I'm not complaining--anthologies always sell poorly, and anything that kicks it up a notch is awesome! It's just odd.)

CharlesXav
02-12-2016, 10:48 PM
It was honestly amazing to read through this thread fully and see your journey. Congratulations RedWombat!

KiwiChick
02-14-2016, 06:20 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, RedWombat. I just bought Nine Goblins for my kindle. :)

RedWombat
02-16-2016, 09:54 PM
@KiwiChick - Awesome! Thank you!

Well, here we are at the one week mark, and the total for Raven is...drumroll please...

1009 copies sold!

*does a little dance*

Well up from Bryony's release, and from Bride before it. Victory!

(I realize that these 150 copy jumps are small potatoes by many standards, but I'm still small enough self-pub potatoes that I get excited. Plus, that's like three months worth of rent, and that is nothing to sneeze at...)

ASeiple
02-16-2016, 11:20 PM
Small potatoes? Pfft! Those are titanic tubers!

Go Wombat! You're doing awesome!

M. H. Lee
02-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Dang RedWombat! Now I want your sales AND your rent!

Congrats on the continued success.

RedWombat
02-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Well, you have to be willing to live in rural North Carolina...

M. H. Lee
02-18-2016, 04:49 AM
Ah, good point. :)

Dhewco
02-18-2016, 05:51 AM
North Carolina? What's wrong with that? I have family in Wilmington and Jacksonville...oh, right. Nevermind. :)

RedWombat
03-02-2016, 03:59 AM
Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 1260
D2D: 129
Smashwords: 115
Total:1506

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 272
D2D: 27
Total: 309

Toad Words
Kindle: 106

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 98
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 113

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 1506
Bryony & Roses: 6158
Toad Words: 3506
Nine Goblins: 4604

And there's that bump I was hoping for! A strong launch for Reindeer, (probably around equal to Bryony's, given that it had an extra week of sales, but a better start out of the gate) and it kicked everything back up. How hard, it's tough to say--in addition to the new book, 47North's edition of Bride went on Kindle sale and spiked, and Bryony got a review on Dear Author, to the tune of nearly 75 sales, so it was a pretty good month all around. Bryony went back to paying rent after a month off and the two smaller books brought home groceries and beagle meds.

Not complaining in the slightest here. I have gotten some really lovely notes from readers on Reindeer, and I feel warm and fuzzy about it all.

RedWombat
05-02-2016, 09:10 PM
...and I missed March. Oh man, book tours destroy me.

March:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 390
D2D: 30
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 431

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 162
Total: 175

Toad Words
Kindle: 68
Total: 80

Nine Goblins
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 79

April:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 446
D2D: 21
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 470

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 139
Total: 152

Toad Words
Kindle: 65
Total: 67

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 64
Smashwords: 4
Total: 68

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 2407
Bryony & Roses: 6485
Toad Words: 3653
Nine Goblins: 4751

I have given up any attempt at predicting anything. Sales have been down for a lot of people, self included, Bryony has slid down into grocery money instead of rent, but Raven's taken up some slack there. Clearly I need to finish another book and put it out...in my copious spare time...

M. H. Lee
05-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Nice to see the continued sales.

A few random questions for you:
-Have you ever thought of going direct through Kobo or Apple? I've heard with both that sales can increase if you're direct instead of through D2D or Smashwords.
-What are your thoughts on staying wide? I see that about 10% of your sales come from wide. Have you ever thought about going exclusive with Amazon for a bit? (I ask this as I'm coming up on a new novel release and I'm at about the same percentage wide vs. Amazon, although not near your total sales numbers.)

ASeiple
05-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Have I ever told you that I like your way of doing stats? Because I like your way of doing stats.

Funny thing is, you're one of my benchmarks. You're not exactly my genre, but close enough. I'm not going to muck around with going wide until your Kindle says go down and your other sales go up. :D

RedWombat
05-04-2016, 04:16 AM
Oh, hey, interesting questions! And wow, glad to help!

Ah...hmm. I have a single Amazon exclusive that I don't note through here, because it's via 47North, and it's done well, but it's also being promoted by them, so it's not really a viable data point.

Honestly, the main reason I don't go exclusive is because I have a lot of readers who can't or won't do Amazon, and I have no desire to lose them. They're mostly readers who have been with me for literally decades, and I feel an obligation to make stuff available as widely as I can for them.

I don't do direct because...well, it's a pain in the arse. My sales are so minimal via other routes that I just don't feel like chasing it--if I had to dig through two or three more platforms, even if they literally doubled my sales on those platforms, it would be...well, look at Toad Words, it managed a whole two sales last month via D2D. Even if we pretend one of those wasn't iBooks (and it was) I just don't see the cost-effectiveness of personally keeping track of two more platforms at my current sales levels.

One of the hardest things I've had to learn recently is that my time is more valuable writing books than keeping them! So for example, I've recently outsourced my print sale business, even though I take a paycut by not selling direct, because I don't think I'll be on my deathbed wishing I spent more time fighting with my printer. A bulk uploading platform is massively worth it to me just to not deal with the hassle these days.

RedWombat
06-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 321
D2D: 20
Total: 346

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 114

Toad Words
Kindle: 61
Total: 69

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 60
Total: 66

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 2753
Bryony & Roses: 6619
Toad Words: 3722
Nine Goblins: 4817

I've had better months. Clearly I gotta get a new book out soon...it seems like one JUST came out, but that was actually in February, so we're about to hit the six month mark or so. I'm at least a few months out from a new one, though, so I'm scrabbling a bit. (Meanwhile I have a zillion children's books in the works, so it's not like I'm not selling books, just not under this pen-name!)

On the bright side, Amazon's version of Seventh Bride is a Kindle deal in the US this month, which is hopefully having a little bit of a knock-on effect.

RedWombat
08-30-2016, 08:39 PM
In my defense, there was a LOT of travel...

June:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 341
D2D: 33
Total: 382

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 179
Total: 200

Toad Words
Kindle: 101
Total: 111

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 69
Total: 74

July:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 214
Total: 239

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 162
Total: 173

Toad Words
Kindle: 60
Total: 64

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 49
Total: 54

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 3374
Bryony & Roses: 6992
Toad Words: 3897
Nine Goblins: 4945

June picked up a smidge, July slid back down. This has not been a great summer for sales, overall, (okay, it's frankly been bad to the point of apocalyptic) but self-pub paid the rent for another month or two. And even my long-ago backlist and my anthology bought a round of groceries, so I shouldn't complain. The books are working hard!

August is gonna be ugly, though. Fortunately, September cometh, and I've got a new web serial coming out in September, so hopefully that'll get things moving a bit.

RedWombat
10-11-2016, 03:40 AM
August:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 148
Total: 167

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 95
Total: 107

Toad Words
Kindle: 44

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 57
Total: 63

September:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 108
D2D: 13
Total: 123

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 84
Total: 98

Toad Words
Kindle: 38
D2D: 3
Total: 44

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 47

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 3664
Bryony & Roses: 7197
Toad Words: 3994
Nine Goblins: 5061

Well, it's a good thing I don't have to dig ditches to supplement my living, or else the last few months would be really hard on my back. Can safely say that everything has moved firmly to the backlist now. I am doing a web-serial, "Summer in Orcus" which I am hoping will drive a little traffic to the books, but it's actually mostly paying dividends in Patreon income, which has stepped in to fill some of the gap from the sales slump. (And I'm very okay with that!)

I dunno. Last year was so amazing and this year's been rough on nearly every self-pub author I know. I really gotta bring out another book once the web-serial wraps in January, which seems like a bit of a long-shot, but stranger things have happened. I'm not sure if it's a general trend or if some years are just good and some are bad and that's life...

ASeiple
10-11-2016, 06:15 PM
This year was going fine for me up until summer. Everything kind of pooped out then, and hasn't quite recovered.

Can't compare it to last year, my first big release then was November so the year was mostly done...

RedWombat
11-02-2016, 04:33 AM
Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 94
Total: 106

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 72

Toad Words
Kindle: 29
Total: 31

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 28
Total: 29

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 3770
Bryony & Roses: 7276
Toad Words: 4025
Nine Goblins: 5090

Mama always warned me there'd be months like this... *sings off-key*

RedWombat
01-26-2017, 06:03 AM
Ok. We're gonna call this one "I got really depressed after the election and then the recordkeeping kinda went to hell."

Nevertheless, I have just published "Summer in Orcus" which I released as a web serial last fall. 90K, Patreon supported. It was free to read, and Patreon subscribers got a free ebook.

This is where it's hard to estimate--how many people upped their Patreon because it was available? How many decided to wait for the ebook? How many would have supported the Patreon anyway? I have no way of telling. Nevertheless, I'd say I probably made around $2000 from the Patreon that I can trace to this particular book. Which, as advances go, is low for trade pub, but not bad at all for small press, so calling it good!

Now, to try and write up the last two months of sales...

RedWombat
01-26-2017, 06:46 AM
November:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 261
Total: 270

Bryony & Roses
Total: 70

Toad Words
Kindle: 30
D2D: 6
Total: 37

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 26
Total: 28

December

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 141
Total: 158

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 75
Total: 84

Toad Words
Kindle: 46
Total: 47

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 30
Total: 36

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 4198
Bryony & Roses: 7430
Toad Words: 4109
Nine Goblins: 5154

Whew! Caught up!

Well, sales are what they are--not that much of a slump, actually, from October (although given that October was pretty dismal, that's not saying much!) Big jump for Reindeer in November, when the price was dropped as part of a promo with a group of fantasy romance authors--moved like 150 copies that way, though of course the royalties were way down as well. Still, hopefully it got some people hooked!

Somewhat confusing matters overall, a lovely print volume, The Halcyon Fairy Book, was published in January by NEFSA, which included the collection Toad Words. 669 copies printed, sold at Arisia and online, and I got a handsome little royalty check. I have absolutely no idea how one factors that into things, except that Toad Words brought home the bacon in January. As an anthology, it's always been my lowest earner (and I expected that! It's cool!) so what amounted to a sudden $1300 windfall from it makes me very happy indeed. That's not exactly self-pub income, but on the other hand, the book wouldn't exist if I hadn't written Toad Words already, so I figure it's worth mentioning here.

RaiscaraAvalon
01-26-2017, 07:00 AM
Seems like you're doing really well, keep up the good work!

RedWombat
03-21-2017, 07:46 PM
January

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 337
D2D: 28
Smashwords: 29
Total: 396

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 109
D2D: 14

Bryony & Roses

Toad Words
Kindle: 36
Total: 43

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 31
Total: 37

February

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 422
D2D: 32
Smashwords: 19
Total: 474

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 93
Total: 109

Bryony & Roses
Total: 95

Toad Words
Kindle: 48
Total: 52

Nine Goblins
Total: 71

Total Sales to Date

Summer in Orcus:870Raven & Reindeer: 4433
Bryony & Roses: 7628
Toad Words: 4204
Nine Goblins: 5262

Some day, O internet, I will not get distracted by shiny objects at the end of the month and will do this promptly!

This batch sees the release of a brand new book, Summer in Orcus. It was on my Patreon first, and now is loose in the world. I was expecting to see a real sales hit because of the Patreon thing, but while the initial bump was halved, probably because my buy-the-first-day fans are all on Patreon already, sales have still been rather better than I expected. It's as if rather than having a huge opening, it moved immediately into the second month of sales. And it kicked sales of the backlist up a little bit, too. (I am not sure why Nine Goblins suddenly experienced a resurgence of sales in February--reviewed somewhere, I assume--but I'm also not complaining! Way to bring home the groceries, Goblins!)

We're not quite back to I-can-live-on-self-pub money, but with the addition of Patreon, it's definitely a lot better than it had been. Hoping to get a novella out in the next few months, rather than go a year between releases this time!

ASeiple
03-21-2017, 09:52 PM
Hey, no worries if updates are late. Fringe benefit is you can use the Amazon report numbers, rather than the dashboard ones. I've noticed that for me the dashboard is off occasionally... never by much, but there's some arcane algorithm there which skews things by a few copies.

Have you encountered this before?

M. H. Lee
04-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Just wanted to drop by and say congrats on the Hugo nomination. Not the first, hopefully not the last. Good luck!

RedWombat
09-20-2017, 02:49 AM
Ok, I won't lie, between the election I was depressed and then I went awhile without doing the report and then the sheer magnitude of catching up was so dire that I ignored it. Which was very bad of me because I had a new book come out and everything, and I have just kinda...not paid attention.

No more! Time for a massive update! Recordkeeping is the key to personal success! Or something!

...oy.

So turns out the easiest way to do this was just to find the year's sales to date and add it all up against the December totals at the end. (Shoutout to Smashwords for the worse formatted of the spreadsheets! It takes effort to excel in this field, but you went the extra mile to make it unreadable!)

First Eight Months 2017:

Jackalope Wives:
Kindle: 1932
D2D: 95
Smashwords: 57
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 2084

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 3008
D2D: 139
Smashwords: 61
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 3208

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 877
D2D: 66
Smashwords: 26
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 969

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 697
D2D: 63
Smashwords: 18
Total: 778

Toad Words
Kindle: 412
D2D: 29
Total: 447

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 441
Smashwords: 33
Total: 474

Total Sales to Date
Jackalope Wives:2084
Summer in Orcus: 3208
Raven & Reindeer: 5167
Bryony & Roses: 8208
Toad Words: 4556
Nine Goblins: 5628

You know, I'd like to complain, there's definitely been a downturn in e-books since I started and all but...frankly, this isn't bad. Summer in Orcus was a release of a free web serial and it still paid my rent for the entire eight months listed there, not including all the people it brought it to my Patreon and the Kickstarter we ran for an illustrated print volume. Nine Goblins and Toad Words came out four years and three years ago respectively, and they STILL paid a month of rent each, which at this point makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about the stories and how they're still working hard this far in. Bryony and Raven are both firmly backlist by now, but both of them pulled in a solid two months of rent and some extra grocery money.

(I find thinking of books in terms of rent makes me feel way better about the process. The numbers are very cold, but "rent" makes me feel like my books are taking care of me.)

Jackalope Wives, the most recent release, was almost all reprints, with only two brand new stories in it, and anthologies supposedly don't sell, and it went free to my Patreon people, and it STILL brought home five months worth of bacon. So y'know, that does not suck.

2015 was probably my peak self-pub year, but a lot of that was the success of Seventh Bride, which did miles better than my average, and which is still bringing home grocery money every month through various Amazon distribution things. I've got a new book in the works--if I'm lucky it'll be out next month and the sequel early in 2018--and I'm definitely hitting the "self-publishing pays the bills" stage. Which, going back through this thread, was all I ever really wanted! (Now, if the bills would kindly stop increasing, we might have a sustainable system on our hands...)

Catherine
09-20-2017, 06:45 AM
It's great to hear things are still moving along for you. It's nice self-publishing is contributing to your monthly budget in a substantial way. So far, I've enjoyed a few pizzas and coffees.:)

rwm4768
09-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Those are some impressive sales numbers. Congratulations!

Do you do any major promo, or do the sales more or less happen organically?

RedWombat
10-02-2017, 04:56 AM
For me, major promo is "Oh god! I have a book! Twitter, here's a book! Oh god, I'm sorry to bother you."

I have been in...uh...two bundles, I think? They did okay. Can't say it was mind-blowing, or even really moved the needle.

M. H. Lee
10-02-2017, 05:25 AM
I have been in...uh...two bundles, I think? They did okay. Can't say it was mind-blowing, or even really moved the needle.

I had seen you were in a bundle this month and was going to ask how they do. (I'm supposed to be in one soon so was curious.)

RedWombat
10-03-2017, 05:09 AM
Boy, this year has lasted a long damn time already, hasn't it?

Jackalope Wives:
Kindle: 100
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 108

Summer in Orcus
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 105

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 74
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 81

Bryony & Roses

Toad Words
Smashwords:
Total: 29

Nine Goblins
Smashwords:

Total Sales to Date
Jackalope Wives: 2192
Summer in Orcus: 3313
Raven & Reindeer: 5248
Bryony & Roses: 8262
Toad Words: 4585
Nine Goblins: 5656

I mean, no lie, it was a dismal month of sales. But my last book came out ages ago (Like, March?) and six months is a very long time in this field. And self-pub still paid the rent (although I'd be eating ramen if I relied on it.)

Still hoping that my current book will get out this month and the year will finish strong, though.

RedWombat
11-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Jackalope Wives:
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 77

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 51
Smashwords:
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 52

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 58
Smashwords:
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 60

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 43
Smashwords:
Total: 50

Toad Words
Kindle: 20
Total: 22

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 23
Total: 26

Total Sales to Date
Jackalope Wives: 2269
Summer in Orcus: 3365
Raven & Reindeer: 5308
Bryony & Roses: 8312
Toad Words: 4607
Nine Goblins: 5682

October was not great, as you can see. Everything kept slowly slithering down--I'd say we're firmly into "everything is now backlist." But it also wasn't as bad as the numbers make it look, because the Kickstarter for the illustrated Summer in Orcus paid out and I got a very handsome check from that, five months rent worth! Also, the royalties for print versions of The Raven & The Reindeer came in--not extraordinary money, but a solid grocery run, and I'm not complaining. Bryony also has a print version out as of last week, so that's nice.

With everything in backlist, as it were, I'm back down to not quite making rent from self-pub sales. Which is not a great place to be. But Patreon is making up the difference substantially. Given that new model, it's hard to know quite how to weigh things--Patreon people get my self-pub books for free, so sales are less, but they give me way more money than they would spend on the books, so...yeah. (I love my patrons. They are the bomb.)

Anyway, as of today I have FINALLY launched my new book, Clockwork Boys. Experimented with pre-orders this time, and a simultaneous launch of the hardcover from the small press doing my print volumes. I have no idea how this will work, but we'll find out! The sequel is due out in February, so I'm hoping that between the two, that'll kick up sales for a couple months.

Initial volume of pre-orders is around 350 of the ebook, and I don't know how many of the hardcover. Looking at the sales numbers today, it seems like we're fitting neatly into my "just under 500 sales out of the gate" standard spot, which given that Patreon people get it free and that there's a print volume available, does NOT make me cry at all.

Onward! Upward! Forward! Bookward!

RedWombat
12-01-2017, 03:24 AM
A quick check-in a week after the release of Clockwork Boys.

One week on, we have sold...drum-roll please...1004 ebooks! (Woohoo!)

According to the print distributor, we also moved 80+ hardcovers in pre-order. For trade, that would be death, obviously, but for a teeny small press doing my print versions, they're happy and so am I. (Scale is important, people!)

This is back up to where things were for Reindeer's release, which is cool, because we'd had a dip for a bit there thanks to Patreon. (My patrons get my self-pub ebooks for free, and I was totally fine with the numbers going down because of patrons, mind you.) Some of that is undoubtedly due to the pre-orders funneling a week of pre-sales into the first day, of course, and since I don't have up-to-the-minute numbers on print copies, I don't know how many we've tacked on since then. But overall, rock solid release.

And again, I am so glad I keep this thread. I had to keep checking back writing this post to see what previous releases were like. Recordkeeping! It'll save you!

ASeiple
12-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Nicely done!

Perfectly positioned for the holidays, too.

RedWombat
01-03-2018, 09:21 PM
November 2017

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1025
D2D: 126
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 1160

Jackalope Wives:
PDF Direct Sales:

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 71
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 83

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 46
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 58

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 40
Total: 49

Toad Words
Kindle: 29
Total: 35

Nine Goblins
Total: 34

December 2017

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 2156
D2D: 58
Smashwords: 13
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 2227

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 133
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 151

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 151
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 169

Raven & Reindeer
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 147

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 105

Toad Words

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 111
Total: 119

Total Sales to Date

Clockwork Boys: 3387
Jackalope Wives: 2515
Summer in Orcus: 3617
Raven & Reindeer: 5513
Bryony & Roses: 8470
Toad Words: 4695
Nine Goblins: 5835

Well, here we are at the end of the year and...wow, what a difference a new release makes, huh? The differences between November and December are stark, and the only reason November's even as high as it is is because Clockwork came out in the last week. The sales for the month are clustered all around that last week for everything.

A really astonishing debut for Clockwork, at least by my standards. Blew the doors off Jackalope (which, anthology, not THAT surprising) but came within spitting distance of Orcus, which has been out for a year at this point. That's...yeah, that one's doing pretty well.

A couple factors--holiday, this is a book some of my fans have been waiting for for nigh on a decade, there was a lot of pre-book buzz (well, for one of my books) and it's more standard epic fantasy, but even with all that...yeah. Dude. Plus we had a hardcover version out, and some people undoubtedly opted for that instead of the ebook. The sequel comes out in February, traditionally a very bad book-buying month, so we'll see how it goes. But it did just get a writeup at Tor.com (!!!) so that's got to be worth something!

In my usual fashion of working these things out in my head, everybody brought in grocery money in November, maybe paid the insurance and a few bills in December and then Clockwork stormed in and basically paid my rent for a year. (Given I have been working on that book for an entire decade, thank god!) I am feeling all warm and fuzzy.

After the sequel--The Wonder Engine--comes out, I have absolutely nothing ready to go out the door so much of 2018 may be a race to finish another book before the sales plummet. But y'know, that's how the business goes...

SutterMonro
01-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Congratulations! I've loved reading your progress. Very inspiring!

RedWombat
02-07-2018, 04:02 AM
Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1178
D2D: 40
Total: 1224

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 116

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 163
Total: 171

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 129

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 97
Total: 106

Toad Words
Kindle: 33

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 125
Total: 132

Total Sales to Date

Clockwork Boys: 4611
Jackalope Wives: 2649
Summer in Orcus: 3797
Raven & Reindeer: 5655
Bryony & Roses: 8576
Toad Words: 4748
Nine Goblins: 5967

Woo! Clockwork Boys continues to tear it up, and kept everything else at new-release levels. The sequel is now up for pre-order, so I'm interested as to how that will affect sales of the first one, but it is, by my admittedly modest standards, a massive success.

Apparently I need to just write snarky epic fantasy or something. Who knew?

The one note in here is that Smashwords is useless for sales. I'm basically supporting it as a legacy for a handful of readers and while I love them and don't mind doing it, Smash is barely moving enough copies at this point to be worth my time deciphering the sales figures to do this report. Going forward, I can't say I'd even recommend working with them, when stuff like Draft2Digital is available and so much easier to navigate.

rwm4768
02-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Those are some amazing January numbers. Congratulations!

ASeiple
02-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Nicely done!

Snarky fantasy? I may have to check this one out...

Yeah. Smashwords didn't do my wife much good back when she tried it. D2D is pretty much the way to go, for wide, anymore.

M. H. Lee
02-27-2018, 05:53 PM
Woke up this morning to a friend's post on FB that said: "Because I'm too patient for my own good, there are very few book release dates that make me all giddy with excitement. "The Wonder Engine" by T. Kingfisher is one of those. Sometimes a girl needs to indulge in RPG-like questing with party shenanigans, concessions to the practical aspects of adventuring (like sock usage), and a dash of awkward romance."

Thought that one was worth sharing and that you have another hit on your hands.

RedWombat
03-01-2018, 10:08 PM
Eee! That's awesome, M.H. Lee, thank you!

RedWombat
03-01-2018, 10:28 PM
The Wonder Engine
Kindle: 2015
D2D: 124
Direct Sales: 2
Total: 2141

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1102
D2D: 51
Total: 1161

Jackalope Wives

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 115
Total: 127

Raven & Reindeer

Bryony & Roses
Total: 93

Toad Words
Kindle: 35
Total: 39

Nine Goblins
Total: 121

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine:2141
Clockwork Boys: 5772
Jackalope Wives: 2744
Summer in Orcus: 3924
Raven & Reindeer: 5760
Bryony & Roses: 8669
Toad Words: 4787
Nine Goblins: 6088

It's release week for The Wonder Engine and honestly, it's been so fantastic. Amazing pre-orders, cracked the top fifty in epic fantasy on Kindle, and people have been live-tweeting their reading and I got spectacular fan art and basically this is about as good as being an author gets. (Well, as far as I know. Maybe there's some higher level when you move a million copies on opening day and they bring you a pony or something.)

I really truly was not expecting the pre-orders to do as well for Wonder Engine as they did, given that it's a sequel, but we moved like 1500 pre-orders AND had a big opening day, so...yeah. Dude. Whoa. More than double Clockwork Boy's first week, and it's been like three days. Literally the single biggest month I've ever had on Kindle. People really want to know what paladins wear beneath their armor...

Anyway, February is traditionally a bad month for sales, so everything else slithered down a bit, as expected, except Clockwork which held steady. A chunk of that was undoubtedly people finally reading it now that they could do the first and second book in one go, but honestly, it was a pretty steady seller all month. We'll see how everything else does early next month, as the new release bump takes effect.

CathleenT
03-02-2018, 02:02 AM
Wow. That's amazing. I'm so happy for your success. :)

playground
03-03-2018, 02:08 AM
That's awesome RedWombat! I've got a few other epic fantasies I'm nibbling into now but plan to grab yours RWM to help support. Quick question for you, how do you define Epic Fantasy? I feel like now it's thrown around for most fantasies and it's hard to put your finger on. When I first got into it, I considered Epic Fantasy to be just a tome of a book (like Stormlight Archives, basically each book close to or at least 1,000 pages and are five plus books long) but as I've delved deeper into the genre that was clearly proven wrong.

RedWombat
04-09-2018, 08:07 PM
The Wonder Engine
Kindle: 2358
D2D: 131
Direct Sales: 0
Total: 2489

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 2050
D2D: 75
Total: 2135

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 89

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 152
Total: 168

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 154
Total: 167

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 130
Total: 139

Toad Words
Total: 48

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 228
Total: 238

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 4630
Clockwork Boys: 7907
Jackalope Wives: 2847
Summer in Orcus: 4092
Raven & Reindeer: 5927
Bryony & Roses: 8808
Toad Words: 4835
Nine Goblins: 6326

My god. March was a heckuva month. Most things got a bit of a bump--Goblins got a rather astonishing bump, I have no idea why that weird little novella continues to sell so steadily, but I'm grateful!--but the real story was the Clocktaur books, which...dude. They're selling better than Bride did back in the day, and I had been thinking of that as my weird one-off success. And they're keeping everything selling at levels that well exceed my holiday sales last year. In February, aka "The Month Where Books Go To Die."

Somebody kick me, I'm clearly dreaming. Or I'm about to get hit by a bus. This is wild.*

*by my standards. I know there's a lot of indie authors who would pat me on the head and say "That's so sweet." I have modest dreams, what can I say?

M. H. Lee
04-10-2018, 05:25 AM
Well done! And inspiring.

rwm4768
04-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Those would be great numbers by my standards.

RedWombat
05-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Wonder Engine
Kindle: 1304
Total: 1337

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1302
Total: 1329

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 70
Total: 75

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 178
Total: 192

Raven & Reindeer

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 110
Total: 116

Toad Words
Kindle: 39
Total: 41

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 164
Total: 169

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 5967
Clockwork Boys: 9236
Jackalope Wives: 2922
Summer in Orcus: 4284
Raven & Reindeer: 6036
Bryony & Roses: 8924
Toad Words: 4876
Nine Goblins: 6495

Everything is obviously going down, but still...dude. Clockwork Boys is now my bestselling self-pub title, period. I'm still a little gobsmacked by all this.

It's an interesting situation I find myself in--I have trade publishers interested in the next T. Kingfisher book (actually I have a right-of-first-refusal contract with one!) but I kinda want to keep this particular universe/series on self-pub. Unless genre advances are MUCH higher than I think they are, I'd likely lose money going trade. Which is...uh...not what I was expecting to have happen. I write weird little nichey books with weird pacing and a combination of humor and body horror. I did not think I'd ever get...well...here!

ASeiple
05-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Hard work and good writing pay off! You deserve this, never doubt it for a second.

It... is kind of a catch-22. If you get good results from self-publishing, then by the time you start attracting attention from the trade publishing houses, you don't necessarily need their help anymore.

This is a very good situation to be in, and plenty of leverage if you do want to mess with trade publishing...

rwm4768
05-04-2018, 09:09 PM
I love reading successes like yours. It gives me some encouragement. If I just keep plugging away, I might catch the break I need.

Right now, I'd love to have even the sales of your lowest-selling book.

RedWombat
06-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Wonder Engine
Kindle: 890
D2D: 42
Total: 932

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 879
D2D: 62
Total: 941

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 61
Total: 66

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 143
Total: 150

Raven & Reindeer
Total: 120

Bryony & Roses

Toad Words
Kindle: 34

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 107

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 6899
Clockwork Boys: 10177
Jackalope Wives: 2988
Summer in Orcus: 4434
Raven & Reindeer: 6156
Bryony & Roses: 9033
Toad Words: 4915
Nine Goblins: 6608

Significant drop-off in sales continues, but y'know, at this point it feels like "oh darn...I only sold 2K books in a month. Truly, how I suffer." How can I possibly complain when Clockwork cracked ten thousand copies total and I made more than enough to live on for the month?

Thinking the next book should come out around August or so, but waiting on some other factors before that's written in stone. And of course, because I cannot possibly follow a success with anything similar, this one would be quasi-middle grade and...yeah...

RedWombat
07-25-2018, 02:02 AM
Wonder Engine
Kindle: 731
Total: 757

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1408
D2D: 25
Total: 1433

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 51
Total: 58

Summer in Orcus

Raven & Reindeer

Bryony & Roses

Toad Words
Total: 32

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 99
Total: 104

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 7656
Clockwork Boys: 11610
Jackalope Wives: 3046
Summer in Orcus: 4547
Raven & Reindeer: 6261
Bryony & Roses: 9112
Toad Words: 4947
Nine Goblins: 6712

Whew, another month down! Huge sales bump to Clockwork, directly attributable to a one day sale in the UK. (Does this mean more people buy the sequel? In theory, yes. In practice...no idea. What is it they say, that 20% of marketing works, it's just that no one knows WHICH 20%?) Everything else slithered down as usual for summer.

RedWombat
08-15-2018, 02:27 AM
July 2018

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 478
Total: 518

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 445
D2D: 48
Total: 495

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 55
Total: 65

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 107
Total: 118

Raven & Reindeer
Total: 88

Bryony & Roses
Total: 82

Toad Words
Kindle: 25
Total: 27

Nine Goblins
Total: 102

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 8174
Clockwork Boys: 12105
Jackalope Wives: 3111
Summer in Orcus: 4665
Raven & Reindeer: 6349
Bryony & Roses: 9194
Toad Words: 4974
Nine Goblins: 6814

A big drop for the new releases, but it's been nine months since Clockwork came out, so I am not crying at all about selling nearly five hundred copies. Backlist continues pretty much unchanged from last month, so I'm not really crying. Clockwork is a Kindle Deal this month, so we'll see if the sales bump from that moves the needle on any of the others.

RedWombat
09-07-2018, 01:25 AM
Wonder Engine
Kindle: 472
Total: 512

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 727
D2D: 47
Total: 775

Jackalope Wives

Summer in Orcus

Raven & Reindeer

Bryony & Roses
Total: 61

Toad Words

Nine Goblins

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 8686
Clockwork Boys: 12880
Jackalope Wives: 3150
Summer in Orcus: 4770
Raven & Reindeer: 6444
Bryony & Roses: 9255
Toad Words: 5002
Nine Goblins: 6893

Y'ever stop and think "Wow, this is a really weird job?"

Anyway, Clockwork got a big bump for being a Kindle Daily Deal, and damn, I wish I could say that had driven all kinds of sales, but as soon as it went off deal, all the numbers crashed right back down. It's summer, summer is hard. But on the bright side, moved a lot of physical copies at Worldcon, which is a nice little chunk of change that I certainly am not crying about.

I need to get another book out, but I am in a holding pattern for Reasons and hopefully soon that will resolve. I hope.

RedWombat
11-12-2018, 07:49 AM
Arrrgh, I missed updating last month! Well, October was busy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

September:
Wonder Engine
Kindle: 234
Total: 267

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 232
D2D: 31
Total: 264

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 52
Total: 56

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 70
Total: 78

Raven & Reindeer

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 44

Toad Words
Total: 34

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 54
Total: 59

October:

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 318
Total: 349

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 651
D2D: 30
Total: 682

Jackalope Wives

Summer in Orcus
Total: 80

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 55
Total: 61

Bryony & Roses
Total: 57

Toad Words
Kindle: 18
Total: 24

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 66

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 9302
Clockwork Boys: 13826
Jackalope Wives: 3259
Summer in Orcus: 4928
Raven & Reindeer: 6576
Bryony & Roses: 9366
Toad Words: 5060
Nine Goblins: 7023

Big bump in Clockwork in October, corresponding to being a Kindle Deal in the US (I think the last one was in the UK) which pushed Wonder up a bit along with it. Everything else is just in the backlist holding pattern, but there is hope on the horizon! My new novel Swordheart is out at the end of the month, which is set in the Clockwork Boys universe and hopefully will re-energize stuff through the holidays.

Also sold the audio rights to the Clockwork/Wonder duology, which is a nice chunk of change. Now I just gotta write the NEXT book, which is...uh...about 5K along, at this point. Woo?

RedWombat
12-20-2018, 03:33 AM
Swordheart
Kindle: 1177
D2D: 131
Total: 1308

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 232
D2D: 28
Total: 260

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 226
Total: 257

Jackalope Wives
Total: 48

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 53

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 73

Bryony & Roses
Total: 77

Toad Words
Kindle: 20
Total: 26

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 47
Total: 51

Total Sales to Date

Swordheart: 1308
Wonder Engine: 9562
Clockwork Boys: 14083
Jackalope Wives: 3307
Summer in Orcus: 4995
Raven & Reindeer: 6660
Bryony & Roses: 9443
Toad Words: 5086
Nine Goblins: 7074

New book release, which I didn't talk about here because I suddenly had a family mess to handle, so I didn't actually track the sales for Swordheart in the first week too closely. I think we did well over 2K in the first week, and the small press handling physical copies said we moved like 500 hardcovers, which is absolutely nothing to sneeze at! It was close enough to the end of the month that it didn't move the sales on the other books significantly (three days isn't really enough time for knockon effect) but looking at the current figures for December, it looks like it definitely helped the Clocktaur books significantly.

Judging by my sales figures, weird epic fantasy is where it's at. Yay? I think?

ASeiple
12-21-2018, 11:02 PM
Very yay! Those are good numbers.

Whatever you're doing, it's working.

lorna_w
12-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Amazing numbers, and at that price even better. You're doing fantastically. Congratulations and may 2019 do as well for you.

RedWombat
01-18-2019, 11:30 PM
Swordheart
Kindle: 2299
D2D: 145
Total: 2444

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 541
D2D: 46
Total: 587

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 643
D2D: 55
Total: 701

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 62
Total: 69 (niiiiiice)

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 108

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 102
Total: 116

Bryony & Roses
Total: 130

Toad Words
Kindle: 31
Total: 38

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 106
Smashwords: 16
Total: 122

Total Sales to Date

Swordheart: 3752
Wonder Engine: 10149
Clockwork Boys: 14784
Jackalope Wives: 3376
Summer in Orcus: 5121
Raven & Reindeer: 6776
Bryony & Roses: 9573
Toad Words: 5124
Nine Goblins: 7196

So last month was pretty damn fine. Lots of it was the holidays, of course, but Swordheart is selling like hotcakes by my standards, and it definitely re-energized the two Clocktaur books set in the same universe. I'm pretty jazzed, to say the least!

The rest of the backlist obviously isn't exactly tearing up the charts, but it's paying for rent and groceries, and that is all I ask of books this late in the cycle.

playground
01-19-2019, 06:20 AM
So Swordheart is in the same universe but not connected with the Clocktaur stories, correct?

RedWombat
02-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Yes! Sorry for delayed response there. It's the same universe, about five years later.

RedWombat
02-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Swordheart
Kindle: 1200
D2D: 56
Total: 1256

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 452
Total: 498

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 485
Total: 533

Jackalope Wives

Summer in Orcus
Total: 122

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 123
Total: 129

Bryony & Roses

Toad Words
Kindle: 32

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 78

Total Sales to Date

Swordheart: 5008
Wonder Engine: 10647
Clockwork Boys: 15317
Jackalope Wives: 3443
Summer in Orcus: 5243
Raven & Reindeer: 6905
Bryony & Roses: 9715
Toad Words: 5156
Nine Goblins: 7280

Everything drops post holidays, of course, but not as brutal as drop as one might think. The fact that a year-old book like Clockwork Boys can still move 500 copies in a month, even with holiday/new book bump, fills me with relief. This whole self-pub thing may work out yet!

Clockwork's a Kindle Deal in the UK this month, so that will undoubtedly push things, and Seventh Bride, through 47North, is a deal in the US, so there may be some knockon effects from those two as well, but of course February is The Month Where Books Go To Die, so I'm not holding my breath.

RedWombat
04-08-2019, 01:46 AM
February 2019

Swordheart
Kindle: 615
D2D: 34
Total: 648

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 394
D2D: 38
Total: 432

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 750
D2D: 43
Total: 793

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 40
Total: 49

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 77
Total: 90

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 121

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 122
Total: 138

Toad Words
Kindle: 25

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 67
Total: 73

March 2019

Swordheart
Kindle: 422
D2D: 35
Total: 457

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 251
Total: 282

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 245
D2D: 37
Total: 282

Jackalope Wives
Total: 42

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 75
Total: 88

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 92

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 112
Total: 123

Toad Words
Kindle: 23
Total: 27

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 69
Total: 72

Total Sales to Date

Swordheart: 6113
Wonder Engine: 11361
Clockwork Boys: 16392
Jackalope Wives: 3534
Summer in Orcus: 5421
Raven & Reindeer: 7142
Bryony & Roses: 9976
Toad Words: 5215
Nine Goblins: 7425

March was pretty grim for my top earners, no doubt about it, but stable for the backlist. (Honestly, the two Clockwork books are solidly backlist by now, but they still sell better than most of the others, and get occasional bumps.) I really gotta get a new book out, but I say that every time. *grin* Still, it's paying the rent.

Made the decision going forward to stop bothering to track Smashwords. At this point, sales there are basically a rounding error unless it's a new book release day. I am glad there's a platform for my readers who will not do Amazon, and I want to support them, but it's just not worth the energy calculating exact figures.

Friendly Frog
04-08-2019, 03:07 PM
Ah, is that why Swordheart and Wonder Engine haven't been added to Smashwords? I thought it was just me who couldn't find them. Pfew. I reckon it's time then to migrate to D2D, then.