PDA

View Full Version : One day at a time......cliched I know! I'm sorry!

thisisobservantme
10-27-2013, 06:43 PM
After a few years of not writing (I know, how did I survive?What else have I been doing?) I have decided to start again! My thanks are to TWFT, and Absolute Write of course!

Yesterday I started writing the first chapter of my new YA novel. It's a first draft so it sort of sucks....but don't they all? I wrote....drumroll please...1800 words yesterday. For some of you that's probably nothing but I'm a slow writer, okay? That was really good for me!

Anyway. I hope to continue to write near that amount of words everyday and send it to an agent by sometime early next year.

I will post the first chapter on SMW (it is Share My Work right?) once I have 50 posts!
Can't wait for the feedback!

Siri Kirpal
10-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I feel hugely productive if I write 600 words in a given day, usually it's more like 200. So, congrats on the good work and best wishes for completing the project!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

virtue_summer
10-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Congrats on getting back to it again.

Maryn
10-27-2013, 10:18 PM
High five for you! There's no pace that's "bad," whether it's 300 words a day or 3,000 (or more). You're writing! That's what counts, and we're pleased to see it happen.

The board is Share Your Work, often shortened to SYW. You needn't feel obliged to post it for criticism right away, especially if, like me, you give yourself permission to write crap just to get a first draft moved from brain to screen.

Maryn, who should install a screen in her head, perhaps

Izz
10-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Nicely done, thisisobservantme! :hooray: 1800 is a good output. If you keep up that rate, you'll have the first draft completed in less than 2 months!

And a note to keep in mind before posting in SYW: try to polish up your first chapter (grammar, typos, general readability, etc) as much as you can before sharing. That way the crits you receive will focus more on the story than on little things that might need corrected otherwise. Plus, it's like you're thanking the critters in advance for taking the time to look at your work :)

Phaeal
10-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Welcome back and good luck with your new writing push!

(But don't beat yourself up if you can't keep to that quick pace. If you find you're struggling, remember that 1000 or even 500 words a day is plenty, especially if you're working or going to school as well. Slow and steady will get you farther than meteoric but sporadic.)

gingerwoman
11-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Well Stephen King was asked how he wrote his books and he said "one word at a time" lol
1800 words is nothing to sneeze at. Unfortunately that would be a good day for me too.