How much freedom would this character have, and for how long?

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for abusing the brilliance of Story Research :). Two circumstances where the police get involved, and I need to know how closely the police would be watching my main character, and how much she can believably do. Important note: she's the daughter of a cop, but daddy's famously blinkered when it comes to her (the other cops notice).

1) Sixteen-year-old lead characters gets beaten up and stabbed outside a party under suspicious circumstances. There are no witnesses because she was actually stabbed by a serial killer who set her up, and nobody's reliable because it was a standard Wild Teen Party. He's blackmailing her with something he learns about her so she has to protect him to the police (this makes sense in-story, I promise). The police obviously figure out that she's hiding something as she claims very convenient memory loss, and as the alcohol and drugs are on the premises, almost everyone's memory of the night is impaired and those who sort-of remember act shifty. When she gets discharged from hospital, how long would she be watched by the police? How closely, and how long would she have to worry about the investigation if it appeared totally stagnant?

2) Lead character's friend disappears, thanks to her friendly serial killer. When she finds out, the main character goes to her friend's house, knowing it will be empty, and steals clothes from her (making it look like she ran away), which she hides. She then pretends to have gone to the house and looked for her friend, and found that the clothes are missing. How long would she be watched by the police? Could she leave to see someone without being monitored/supervised within ~24 hours ish?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
how long would she be watched by the police?

Why would they watch her at all? Cops have better things to do than sit on uncooperative teenagers.

How closely, and how long would she have to worry about the investigation if it appeared totally stagnant?

Worry? In what sense? The case would remain open, if that's what you mean. A serious stabbing would stay active for some time.

How long would she be watched by the police?

Why would they watch her at all? Do they know or suspect she's misleading them? Cops don't have a ton of time to go on stakeouts for no good reason.

Hope that helps. Cops are busy, they don't have as much free time as you seem to think they do. Stakeouts and such are just for organized crime and really serious criminals. Some girl who got stabbed at a party and may or may not have stolen some clothes to mislead an investigation don't merit a stakeout in any jurisdiction I'm aware of unless there's a really good reason.

The_Ink_Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
Hope that helps. Cops are busy, they don't have as much free time as you seem to think they do. Stakeouts and such are just for organized crime and really serious criminals. Some girl who got stabbed at a party and may or may not have stolen some clothes to mislead an investigation don't merit a stakeout in any jurisdiction I'm aware of unless there's a really good reason.

Thank you! I agree, but someone said to me on another thread that she wouldn't have much freedom and I couldn't let her go running around. She's not a "serious criminal", but they suspect she's misleading them, and lying about not being able to remember. In fact, they believe she was stabbed in a disagreement over the drugs at the party.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Basically they'd either lock her away, if they had a good reason, or they'd leave her be, perhaps dropping by occasionally to question her as new evidence came up, but they would not post guards on her, or closely observe her.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What the snarky logo said.

I read your original post all 'wait, why're they watching her?' She's, at best, an uncooperative or lying witness. No one will care too much. That certainly wouldn't warrant surveillance.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
What Drachen said. Change the facts a little bit and different results, so if you're comparing answers from different threads, you might get different results just by minor changes in your facts.

Teen parties are a good source for police. The kids talk, a lot, and now they take selfies and other video, and post it on the internet.

Especially in England, if there is a stabbing at a teen party, they're going to question every kid at the party, and they're going to get lots and lots of evidence. And teens are easy for the police to lean on. They don't know their rights, sports players would have consequences from their coaches, and they don't want their parents to know.

And "reliable" witnesses are few and far in criminal cases. I've done cases with all the witnesses being inmates in prisons and jails, cases in which everyone is either a drug dealer or user or both, drunks, and a variety of other low-lives. Did have a nun once as a witness. Wasn't notably more honest then any other witness.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

The_Ink_Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
What Drachen said. Change the facts a little bit and different results, so if you're comparing answers from different threads, you might get different results just by minor changes in your facts.

Teen parties are a good source for police. The kids talk, a lot, and now they take selfies and other video, and post it on the internet.

Especially in England, if there is a stabbing at a teen party, they're going to question every kid at the party, and they're going to get lots and lots of evidence. And teens are easy for the police to lean on. They don't know their rights, sports players would have consequences from their coaches, and they don't want their parents to know.

And "reliable" witnesses are few and far in criminal cases. I've done cases with all the witnesses being inmates in prisons and jails, cases in which everyone is either a drug dealer or user or both, drunks, and a variety of other low-lives. Did have a nun once as a witness. Wasn't notably more honest then any other witness.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

(Just a point - the story's set in America - Missouri, specifically.)

Just re: the witness thing - yeah, it's a suspension of disbelief, but they end up not being seen together at the party. Mostly because the serial killer is kind of planning this, so he isolates her in a room by herself, where he drugs her drink and gets her downstairs. However, the kids don't exactly LIE but all of them are basically drinking and/or doing drugs (it's not a huge party, basically a group of friends who get gatecrashed), so they don't have great memories of the night in question, and the suggestion from the police actually makes it worse and works in the lying characters' favour slightly, because the kids end up thinking they've seen the girl at the party when they haven't.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
The kids are going to know who was at the party, whether they were sober, drunk, or stoned. No one kid is going to know everybody there, but collectively, they'll be able to list virtually everyone who is there. I've seen the police collect over 150 names on a party, and if they missed anybody, I'd be surprised.

The kids are going to know who goes into what bedroom. They want to know who is banging who. Again, usually with pretty good accuracy.

Police do not make suggestions in this type of situation. What they don't hear, the teachers and administrators in school do and will tell the police.

The chances of his name not coming up are slim.

A football player's house was just trashed by a bunch of teens -- see Teens trash home of ex-NFL player, teens parents threaten player ... And in my list I forgot Tweets. And text messages. And cell phone use.

It's much more believable to have the kids say he was there, and have him explain away their bedroom time with a blowjob. Plus you're putting your characters through more sweating time. Have the bad guy suggesting other guys she might also have had in the bedroom.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...of-exnfl-player-teens-parents-threaten-player