Beetlejuice 2 is in the works.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
So at last Tim Burton returns to the world of his only good movie, presumably to make that excruciating, too.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
There's that.

I'm at work and can't search for this link, but there's a site called College Humor dot com (dot org?). One of their bits is "Tim Burton's team discussing his next movie."

It's hysterical, mostly because it's spot-on. My son showed it to me. I don't remember if it's NSFW, so try it at home.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I love Tim Burton. So there. :e2tongue:

His brilliant art direction does allow me overlook a lot of things though.

As for Terry Gilliam - what I would give to have a sit-down with him. His vision is brilliant but it always falls apart at the story level, which is a shame. So many of his projects have been shelved because of bad screenplays and part of me thinks, try meeee!!

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the year of returning to old, perfectly fab in their own right standalone works, and creating sequels for them, or what? First The Shining, now this... I don't quite have the hate for Burton that a lot of others do (just need to be in the right mood for it), but this feels...unnecessary.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I liked Sleepy Hollow... and Ed Wood.

Hands up: I haven't actually seen Sleepy Hollow. Ed Wood I find frustrating because I love Ed Wood and his mileu, and Burton evokes it all brilliantly in the sets and the cast and even the direction, and Martin Landau is magnificent as Lugosi, and it's all so nearly there except that the story isn't actually very interesting. There's none of the darkness that made Nightmare of Ecstasy so compelling, just Depp's indomitably chipper Ed, beavering away.

EDIT: NoE is the oral history of Wood's life - the book the film is based on. It's a terrific read. (I don't know why it wasn't called Look Back in Angora. Seems like a missed trick.)

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I see there are some here who do not worship at the altar of Burton. (-;

I have not seen a Burton movie I didn't love. I would live in his universe at the drop of a hat. My guess, it would probably be a top hat.

Can't wait for this movie! (-:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of Burton movies I enjoyed--Beetlejuice being one of them--and a lot I went "hmmm" over. Alice in Wonderland bit the biscuit AFAIC, and Dark Shadows was a travesty. Burton's appeal of the wonky seems overdone these days. He could never do action scenes very well and his editing/timing have been off for the longest time.

He's one of those directors who never bothered updating his style...and it shows. Having said all that, I'd like to see who gets the part of Beetlejuice. If Burton doesn't direct it, it should be just as entertaining as the original...even though it's about twenty-four years too late.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like the first one. Don't understand why it was so popular.

Not a fan of Tim Burton either.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I never realized that Burton was the director on Ed Wood.

As for Beetlejuice 2, reports say he's talking to Keaton about reprising th role, which means the deadish ghoulie man will have aged 25 years. (granted the make-up is extreme and might hide that)

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So at last Tim Burton returns to the world of his only good movie, presumably to make that excruciating, too.

Sleepy Hollow, Alice in Wonderland and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter were all good films, not to mention Batman and Batman Returns. In a way, Burton could be considered the grandfather of the DCAU, and his Batman films also set the standard for future superhero movies.

junebugaboo

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, alas, I saw this bit of news and was saddened. I love Beetlejuice--one of those movies I figure into my childhood flashbacks from time to time...with Harry Belafonte's Jump in the Line playing dreamily in my brain. Love Michael Keaton in it. And man! Something they absolutely CANNOT redo today: get away with saying the f-word in a PG movie, even after the PG-13 rating was put into effect...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Sleepy Hollow, Alice in Wonderland and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter were all good films, not to mention Batman and Batman Returns. In a way, Burton could be considered the grandfather of the DCAU, and his Batman films also set the standard for future superhero movies.
-----

He didn't direct Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Maybe he produced it, but he didn't direct it.

As for the original Batman/Batman Returns movies, they were good and I enjoyed them, but I wouldn't call them setting the standard. The standard was set by Nolan's films, faults and all.

There's a whole other thread about Batman somewhere on this forum, but personally, while I think Michael Keaton is a fine actor, physically he didn't fit the part in my opinion. Christian Bale, somewhat overdone hoarse voice and all, was far better. I also thought Nolan was a better director of action scenes than Burton, far better. JMO...