PDA

View Full Version : Do you still send Christmas cards?

rhymegirl
10-25-2013, 12:25 AM
I hope this is the right place for this question.

I am writing an article for a local publication's December issue. My story is going to be about sending Christmas/holiday cards. For anyone who is willing to share some information, here are my questions:

1. Do you still send holiday cards each year?

2. On average, how many cards do you send out?

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both?

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?)

5. Anything else you'd like to add/comment on.

Thank you!

Kathl33n
10-25-2013, 12:46 AM
I usually buy a boxed set and send to family and friends. The price of stamps has never affected who I send them to, it's always the same list, year after year, with maybe a few new names of new friends I've added throughout the year.

BUT they must Must MUST have Christmas theme stamps! I'm just nuts about Christmas stamps. Gotta have it. :)

On average, I will send somewhere in the area of 20-30 cards. I get cards back, and we tape them up around a doorway.

I did get an e-card from a new friend last year, but she was incredibly busy and couldn't find time to go buy any cards.

Hope this helps!

citymouse
10-25-2013, 12:58 AM
I send about 10 to 12 cards. I print them myself. I send only to those I don't see regularly. Cost is not an object.

waylander
10-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Yes, but the cost is getting really significant for overseas cards. My wife has a lot of older relatives in the US and that comes out at nearly 3 per card. Fifteen or twenty cards really adds up. We sent a lot of e-cards last Christmas and will send even more this year.

Calla Lily
10-25-2013, 01:25 AM
One. To a distant relative we never see in person anymore.

I used to buy a couple boxes and send to all the relatives on both sides of the family, plus some friends. My mother and both grandmothers sent tons of them plus buying "special" ones for close relatives.

I quit three years ago because I was losing my mind at the holidays, plus it was one more expense. About 3/4 of our relatives have also stopped.

Nobody I've known has missed it, except maybe my mother.

Cath
10-25-2013, 01:27 AM
No. I live in a different country from my family. Instead of cards and gifts, I make a donation to a local pet shelter & let the family know.

thothguard51
10-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Yes. I still send cards.

In the past 5 or so years, I have sent out fewer and fewer paper cards. Maybe 25 a years. What I have discovered is that I have gotten fewer and fewer cards myself. People move around, lose contact with each other, or at my age, they die...

What I have done for the past ten years is send e-cards to some of the family and friends who don't mind getting electronic cards. I am doing more of these if I include business and internet acquaintances. I get more of those as well...

Sophia
10-25-2013, 01:38 AM
1. Yes.
2. Around 10.
3. It's one card per household.
4. All the cards are sent within the country, and the cost of stamps isn't (yet) a critical issue.
5. I enjoy sending cards. :)

Telergic
10-25-2013, 02:34 AM
I've never sent a card in my life. They seem pointless to me.

Saanen
10-25-2013, 03:13 AM
I usually buy a box of 10 or 12 and send maybe half. I didn't used to send any, but in the last few years my family has become a bit more far-flung and I don't see everyone over the holidays. I send cards to family members and maybe a close friend or two. The price of stamps doesn't make a difference (the cards are much more expensive anyway).

Siri Kirpal
10-25-2013, 03:33 AM

I am writing an article for a local publication's December issue. My story is going to be about sending Christmas/holiday cards. For anyone who is willing to share some information, here are my questions:

1. Do you still send holiday cards each year? yes

2. On average, how many cards do you send out? 260-280

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both? huh? if you're asking if I use boxed cards, the answer is yes

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?) nope

5. Anything else you'd like to add/comment on. I get the most beautiful cards I can, religious ones, preferably with angels and non-denominational greetings, preferably fine art from the Metropolitan Museum and similar.

Thank you!

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Answers above.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

PattiTheWicked
10-25-2013, 03:48 AM
The last few years, I've really scaled back, and my general thing is that I send Actual Cards (with a handwritten message and photos of the kids) to about ten relatives who are older and don't have internet access. Everyone else gets a nice message on Facebook saying that I appreciate them, and I hope they understand that I'm not sending out cards again this year, since I talk to them all year long, and I love 'em all anyway.

storygirl99
10-25-2013, 04:33 AM
I didn't send cards for years, but once I had a kid, I started doing it again. It's an excuse to send a cute picture of my child doing something festive. I only send them to family, close friends and older people who still like getting family updates. I always include a short personal note which means that I send out 20 or so a year at most. Postage is not a factor for me.

I send holiday cards instead of Christmas cards because a lot of my friends and extended family are Jewish.

WendyN
10-25-2013, 04:58 AM
1. Do you still send holiday cards each year? Yes. I LOVE receiving Christmas cards, so I always make sure to send some out as well.

2. On average, how many cards do you send out? Just checked and last year I sent 28. The list stays pretty much the same year to year.

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both? I've done boxed cards and photo cards

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?) It's Christmas; I'm willing to spend the money on stamps.

5. Anything else you'd like to add/comment on. I've always liked receiving holiday letters. Now that everyone sees what's going on w/ family and friends on Facebook every day, they're becoming more and more rare, which is kind of sad.

My answers above in RED :)

Hendo
10-25-2013, 05:15 AM
We send about 30 I believe. Buy a box and write a short Christmas greeting inside of it.

jadyn
10-25-2013, 05:20 AM
I used to sent cards sporatically, but haven't for years. I live near everyone that matters in my family, so we get together for Christmas, and don't exchange cards anymore. I've had the same box of cards in my christmas box for years. I only use them if I'm giving someone a gift card, and need something to stick it in.

CEtchison
10-25-2013, 06:40 AM
1. Do you still send holiday cards each year? Yes

2. On average, how many cards do you send out? 40-50

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both? Not individual cards but not boxed. I design them myself and have them professionally printed.

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?) I have scaled back my list in recent years due to the price of postage. Like someone else said the overseas postage is pretty high. So typically I'll email it to friends overseas since I have the original jpg file.

mrsmig
10-25-2013, 07:37 AM
1. Do you still send holiday cards each year? I do indeed.

2. On average, how many cards do you send out? Between 40 and 60.

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both? Both. My mother always gets an individual card, and my husband and I give each other several cards apiece. Everyone else gets boxed cards.

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?) Nope. I don't find the stamps particularly expensive; the price of the cards themselves can be on the outrageous side, particularly the individual ones.

5. Anything else you'd like to add/comment on. I have some relatives who've stopped sending Christmas cards because they're not "green" (they send out a generic email message instead), but I have to say that I still enjoy getting the cards. We usually keep them around for a month or so after the holidays because they're pretty (and when we're done with them - usually around Valentine's Day - we recycle them).

MaryMumsy
10-25-2013, 07:37 AM
yes
boxed
15-20
postage doesn't matter
mostly we just send to the people who still send to us

MM

Jaymz Connelly
10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Yes, I send cards (mostly to people I've met online, funnily enough)

Usually somewhere between 8 - 10 cards

I send a special card to my mother, everyone else gets a boxed card, but I buy boxes that have a variety of cards so I can send sort of specific ones to people

The price of stamps doesn't really influence me. They're my dearest friends and family - they're worth at least the price of a stamp. ;) (for what it's worth, they're ALL overseas too)

cornflake
10-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes.

A dozen or so maybe? I don't remember counting.

Both, maybe this is why I don't know how many, heh. I get boxed but for a few people I get particular cards - like for one person it's as snarky as can be, for one person it's always a particular theme, etc. The boxed are non-religious, non-specific holiday, more the Peace and Joy/Best Wishes of the Season type.

No. Cards can be ridiculously expensive, those I shop carefully for. Stamps aren't a consideration as far as expense. It's gone up maybe a nickel or dime over the time I've been sending cards? Even if I sent five dozen cards, it'd be a $6 increase since I started? Using random and theoretical measures, heh.

mccardey
10-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I send 27. I don't know why. Postage ain't a problem.

I send hand-made ones - from artists (I ain't an artist).

ETA: If you're an artist who makes Christmas cards and takes orders, send me a PM. Also if you or your mother would like one. I'm a sucker for sending Xmas cards.

:Sun:

King Neptune
10-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Wow! I haven't even seen Christmas cards in years. Maybe I should look into sending some Sol Invictus cards.

shaldna
10-25-2013, 03:55 PM

1. Do you still send holiday cards each year?

We do. I send some to certain friends/family and my daughter sends them to her whole class (she's 6)

2. On average, how many cards do you send out?

In all I send maybe 20 and my daughter sends about 20-25

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both?

I'll send one to each 'couple' or family set - so I'll send one for my parents, one for my brother and his girlfriend etc.

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?)

We hand deliver a lot of them to family and classmates etc, and I only post a handful of them to friends who live further away.

Thank you!

Last year my daughter got a really nice set of make your own christmas cards where they send a card frame and you put your own photograph in them. She sent them to some family members.

Cathy C
10-25-2013, 04:03 PM

1. Do you still send holiday cards each year? I do!

2. On average, how many cards do you send out? It varies by year, but between 70-100

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both? I send boxed cards, but vary my letter inside individually.

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?) No effect. I'd no more stop sending cards than wrapping packages. It's just part of the cost of the holiday.

5. Anything else you'd like to add/comment on. In addition to a newsy letter inside (single sheet of holiday themed paper) I also do a sheet of photos about things my husband and I have seen or done throughout the year. I put book covers I've released during the year, photos of cool places we've been, landscape pics of pretty pictures or people we saw, etc. Yes, they're in color--all 100 copies. People LOVE them. I get stopped on the street to have people ask to be included on my list.

My hubby and I also started a tradition where we don't open cards we receive until Christmas Day. They just sit in a stack on the table next to the tree--like little presents. They're great fun to sit and read while having coffee next to the blinking tree. Then we call people after reading their letter to chat. Very fun! :)

Thank you!

Hope this helps!

Putputt
10-25-2013, 04:17 PM
I do! I buy a box of 12 cards and send them all, mostly to family and friends overseas...but it's a small enough number that the cost of postage doesn't really sting. They always include a personalized message...usually something assholey.

jaksen
10-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I do. About 40 or so. I don't get back that many, though, as many of my friends don't do it anymore and are quite blunt about it. They always thank me for mine, however.

The cost doesn't matter. It's just figured into Christmas expenses. I buy boxed cards, but nothing with a heavy religious message.

At one time I sent well over 100 every year and got back that many and more. I'd also get about 50 cards from my students. (But I think their parents make them do that.)

And I send cards to sisters, my mother, and children even though I see them quite often.

rhymegirl
10-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Wow, thank you so much for all the replies.

To clarify something that Siri Kirpal asked:

When I say individual cards for family members I mean cards you buy at the store at the card racks. (I'm getting this Mother card for Mom, this Sister card for my sister, etc.)

When my parents were still alive, every Christmas I would select a special card (to my parents) just for them at the store. The message would be more personal than that found in a boxed card assortment.

But since that gets quite expensive, I usually just send everyone else a card from a boxed assortment.

It is interesting to see that a lot of people still send Christmas/holiday cards and that the price of stamps doesn't seem to matter. For those of us who write greeting cards, this is good to know!

shaldna
10-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Wow, thank you so much for all the replies.

To clarify something that Siri Kirpal asked:

When I say individual cards for family members I mean cards you buy at the store at the card racks. (I'm getting this Mother card for Mom, this Sister card for my sister, etc.)

When my parents were still alive, every Christmas I would select a special card (to my parents) just for them at the store. The message would be more personal than that found in a boxed card assortment.

But since that gets quite expensive, I usually just send everyone else a card from a boxed assortment.

It is interesting to see that a lot of people still send Christmas/holiday cards and that the price of stamps doesn't seem to matter. For those of us who write greeting cards, this is good to know!

Personally I am notorious for my absolute HATRED of cards. I just can't abide them. I feel that if someone needs to send me a card to tell me they are thinking of me that there is something very wrong with our relationship.

That said, there are certain cards that I do send each year to certain folk.

I have a pretty mixed family in terms of religion etc, so I tend to buy non-religious cards, one's that say 'happy holidays' or something.

mccardey
10-26-2013, 02:21 AM
Personally I am notorious for my absolute HATRED of cards. I just can't abide them. I feel that if someone needs to send me a card to tell me they are thinking of me that there is something very wrong with our relationship.

That said, there are certain cards that I do send each year to certain folk.

I have a pretty mixed family in terms of religion etc, so I tend to buy non-religious cards, one's that say 'happy holidays' or something.

But why does sending a card mean that that's the only time you write or contact them? Most people send them to people they know and love, don't they?

Mr Flibble
10-26-2013, 02:24 AM
I always mean to

I always forget*. Then again, not Christian so it's not really what we do.

*Just like postcards. I buy them, write them, forget to post them...

WriteMinded
10-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Last year I mailed out two individual Xmas cards. This year it will be three. There was a time when I spent time, money, and effort sending out boxed cards and a few individuals to friends and family. I can't tell you how many, between thirty and forty.

The cost has gone up and up, but it isn't that, I've just lost interest. Christmas day our phones are very busy.

5thBananaSplit
10-26-2013, 06:20 PM
I like getting Christmas cards. I especially like getting even just a brief, handwritten, personal message--even from people I might see every day. Why not? It's nice to know that people are thinking about you--especially when you aren't standing right in front of them--and as it gets easier and easier to just text or post or tweet en masse, it becomes even more meaningful as a gesture.

Ergo, I continue to send them. If it bothers someone to receive them, you'd think they'd tell me, right? No one ever has.

Siri Kirpal
10-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks for the clarification, rhymegirl.

People love getting my holiday cards and letters. I get a huge amount of respect from my extensive extended family for doing it. I think writing an interesting holiday newsletter is good writing practice.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

DancingMaenid
10-27-2013, 04:50 AM
I've never sent out cards. I don't remember my parents ever really sending them out. We were always pretty private people and generally celebrated holidays alone.

I've considered sending cards in the past. The cost of postage hasn't stopped me. I don't mail a ton of stuff, so several cards once a year wouldn't be a bit expense. But I don't really celebrate any holidays, and most of my family are a different religion than I am. I'll join in on holiday stuff when invited, but I don't really initiate anything.

Canotila
10-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Usually I buy blank cards with envelopes, and do a wood cut or lino cut and use that to print the design. We sent out about 50 last year. Many to relatives, about 20 in a card exchange.

The card exchange is lots of fun, because it's with people from all over the world. The kids love getting the cards and hanging them up.

Snowstorm
10-27-2013, 06:08 PM
1. Do you still send holiday cards each year? Yes

2. On average, how many cards do you send out? about 35

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both? I only buy boxes of cards from the World Wildlife Fund. I adore their cards and the money help animals. Everyone gets those cards.

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?) No.

5. Anything else you'd like to add/comment on. I like sending and receiving the cards, and I do enjoy the added Christmas letters.

imjustj
10-27-2013, 09:06 PM

1. Do you still send holiday cards each year? Yes.

2. On average, how many cards do you send out? 40-50

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both? I order personalized picture cards using pictures of my kids. The first one featured my son at 2 weeks old (he will be 20 in November).

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?) I have cut down my list because of the ever-increasing cost of stamps. I hand deliver a lot of the local ones, which is something I never used to do. I feel like getting a card in the mail with a handwritten note is special.

Thank you!

I love Christmas cards and it saddens me that so many people are turning to e-cards. The sentiment may be the same, but you can't prop the e-card up on your mantle!

StephanieFox
10-28-2013, 10:53 PM
There's a bulldog forum where there's a card exchange among members. I don't celebrate Christmas, so I don't really get involved. I used to send out Solstice cards to business associates.

Lavern08
10-30-2013, 07:57 PM
I still go to the Hallmark Store and purchase special Christmas Cards for my Mom and 3 Sisters ...

I also send cards to a couple of BFFs and to my Hubby's Dad.

Postage is not a factor - I just stay in touch with most people via email now.

I absolutely lurve to send and receive greeting cards!!! :snoopy:

*Thinks I should buy stock in Hallmark and American Greetings*

JimmyB27
10-30-2013, 08:51 PM

1. Do you still send holiday cards each year? Yes, but only because I get whinged at if I don't. I think greetings cards are dumb. :tongue

2. On average, how many cards do you send out? 4, no more, no less. Immediate family only, since they are the ones who would whinge.

3. Do you send individual cards (to Mom & Dad, sister, brother, etc.) or just boxed cards or both? Individual cards - they'd notice and whinge if they all got the same one from a box.

4. Does the price of stamps influence whether you send cards? (Have you stopped sending cards because stamps are too expensive now?) I see all the people I give cards to over the Christmas period, so I just give them in person.

5. Anything else you'd like to add/comment on. Greetings cards are dumb. I might have mentioned that. ;)

Thank you!

rhymegirl
11-05-2013, 07:41 PM
A big thanks to everyone who responded here.

I submitted my article yesterday and the editor really liked it. In fact she said I inspired her to send more Christmas cards this year.

Just for the record, the Greeting Card Association told me they expect about 1.6 billion Christmas cards to be purchased this year. This includes boxed cards.