When an agent asks

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
for "sample chapters," what chapters do you send.

I've written a memoir. I know that when you send in a proposal you're supposed to send a chapter from the beginning, middle, and end. (This is according Larsen's book.) I also know that when an agent requests "chapters," it's usually for the first three.

This is the first time I've been asked for "sample chapters," so I'm back to being confused.

Thanks for the help.

Candy

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
I write non-fic as well. I've always just sent the first 3 chapters, or the first 50. I've never cherry-picked chapters- but I don't know if memoirs have the same "rules"

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Did the agent specify how many? If this is for the query package, then send whichever set of three is stronger. If it's a request after querying, then send the first three. My take. Others may differ.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score

Did the agent specify how many? If this is for the query package, then send whichever set of three is stronger. If it's a request after querying, then send the first three. My take. Others may differ.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I sent the agent a query yesterday and today I get a reply that says, "Please feel free to send along any sample chapters at your convenience . . ."

Guess you could say that's why I'm confused. I'm used to agents actually specifying what they want.

Candy

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Send the first three chapters, and a synopsis.

Don't send three random chapters: just the first three. If your first three chapters are only a page long each, send the first fifty pages or so.

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and help. My first three chapters combined are only 14 pages long.

I tried to send the 50 pages but for some reason, Google just flat out refused to send them. I must've tried a dozen times to send it. The only error message I got was "server error." No numbers or anything else. I cleared everything and rebooted several times and nothing seemed to work. I finally gave up and just sent the 14 pages. It's really going to stink if they turn around and ask for a full and I can't send it.

When I initially queried, in the subject line I put the name of the agent I wanted it to go to, "query" and then the book title. When I heard back from the agent and they'd requested chapters, I kind of did the same thing. Agent name, "REQUESTED MATERIALS", and the book title again. How badly is it frowned upon if I have to send a full from a completely different email address? I'd still put the same stuff in the subject line. It would only be a different email.

Thanks again,
Candy

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
If they request a full, I would respond from your current e-mail address and tell them that you're having issues and say that the full will come from (insert your other e-mail address here) just to give them a heads up.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Make a yahoo email account. Never had any trouble sending attachments with Yahoo.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the OP sent the chapters within the e-mail. If so and they ask for a full, ask them if an attachment is okay. (May you be so blessed as to have this problem.)

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it was sent through email but not as an attachment. I really wish that when an agent asks for X number of pages or Y number of chapters they'd let you know straight away that it can be sent as an attachment.

I currently have 7 partials and 2 fulls out. It's the waiting that will drive you crazy!

Candy

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Partials and fulls are generally expected to be sent as attachments. Queries with included pages ("Send a query, the first five pages, and a synopsis") are generally expected to be pasted into the body of the email. As always, look for specifics within the agent's guidelines. If not otherwise mentioned, though, I would do as I described.

If you do send requested material via a separate email, I would also recommend letting them know via the original, but I would also copy and paste the original request into the email you send from the other address.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats on all the requests! :hooray: Prayers sent for them to get to their requesting agents.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes. Sometimes I want to get angry because the agent wants it right now! And then it's "I'll get back to you in X weeks." Makes me want to scream!

I got two depressing rejections the other day. One said that he was currently work with someone who had a similar story to mine and he didn't think he would be wise to take another at the time. The other rejection said that it seemed to have a good story line but she couldn't do it and then thanked me for my service. I wanted to write back that if she wanted to thank me, then rep me!!! I didn't, I kept my mouth shut. I spent the day feeling sorry for myself.

The very next morning I had 3 requests for partials and proposals, 4 regular partials, and a full. Definitely made me feel better.

I've made a list of what the agents want plus a ton of other things about the agent but when I go to query them, I recheck the website, AAR, and PM. I'll even check their Twitter and blogs if they have one. But most of them don't day. I thought the safest way would be to embed it in the email and change the subject line to read REQUESTED MATERIALS for (book title.)

I want everything done right but I made a serious faux pax the other day. I didn't pay enough attention to this agent's website. He wanted a target market and comparative analysis along with three chapters. I missed the chapter part ad only sent the query with the other stuff. Oh well, I knew it would be an instant rejection. Around midnight I got an email from him wanting to read some of my materials. He said he was a veteran and knew all too well about the "dirty little secret" women had to keep. He even went as far as to say he saw a woman commit suicide. I think it would be really neat to get him as an agent.

Candy

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Don't be too concerned by the one who said she couldn't do it. It could mean I'm up to my eyeballs in work and can't take another thing right now OR it could mean This just brings up too much bad stuff for me, so I better pass.

Glad you've been getting so many requests.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I know. It could be a million different things. I was having a really bad day that day and almost cried with every rejection. At least the next day was better!

Candy