World Series 2013

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Seems a bit odd to have the biggest series in baseball going on and no thread, so I'll start:

Watched Game 1 last night in Spanish. Since my Spanish is rudimentary at best, I looked at this as combining the fun of watching baseball with furthering my education.

The Spanish-speaking commentators were...different. Or maybe one just notices things more when one has to listen very, very hard :D. For instance, we got treated to several renditions of the Beach Boys' song "Kokomo," as an a capella duet by both announcers. Also, every time Johnny Lester was up pitching, we got to hear a solo announcer sing selected lines from "Johnny B. Goode."*

They dropped into English quite often for common phrases. This is something I never hear when watching the Tour de France in French, and I can't remember hearing it when watching football/soccer in Spanish. Maybe just a baseball thing? And also probably because the network (Fox Deportes) is based in the US, as compared to the soccer telecast originating in a Spanish-speaking country. Just a guess.

Oh, Boston won. By quite a bit :D.

*This made me wish I'd started watching baseball in Spanish earlier, so I could have heard their rendition of "Enter Sandman" when Mariano Rivera walked out to close ;).

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although I have almost no Spanish, I sometimes do this, just because the tone is so very different and many of the important things are in English anyway. Plus you don't really need the announcers doing commentary when you can see the game for yourself.

I couldn't name the album, but George Carlin has a bit on listening to baseball in Spanish and how the English phrases just leap out at you.

How about that reversed call? Never seen that before.

Maryn, who may try the Spanish tonight

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Cards fan here.

We were handed our butts last night. They are two very well matched teams and STL just wasn't playing ball like they should have. I have no hate for the Red Sox, I've always liked the team, so while I am a huge Cards fan, I find I'm not yelling at the tv or disgusted with them, like I was in the NLCS. (sorry Dodgers fans; it's just the way I feel). The Sox came out and played very well.

Hopefully we give them a solid run for their money from here on out.

Michael Wacha pitches tonight. He is a 22 year old stud. I love watching him pitch. His post-season ERA is an incredible 0.43. Looking forward to watching our Rookie kill it tonight.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Stew, that was not at all typical of the kind of play which wins the pennant. The fielding of the Cardinals is usually first-rate, making the teams quite evenly* matched. That's not what we saw last night. I like a closer game!

Maryn, on for tonight

*WTF, fingers? I typed quiet evening matches. Candles and wine next?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm mildly surprised no one's mentioned the cheating allegation directed at pitcher John Lester.

The picture shown at CNN sure makes it look like he's got something on his glove. And it's not the first accusation against him this year.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It didn't seem to me that Boston played unusually well, just that STL played very poorly. It was a shame to see Beltran (sp?) injured for a catch that did nothing in the long run to help his team.

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
I'm mildly surprised no one's mentioned the cheating allegation directed at pitcher John Lester.

The picture shown at CNN sure makes it look like he's got something on his glove. And it's not the first accusation against him this year.

I know this is passe, but the substance was rosin, umpires knew of it--it is allowed. The reason it is allowed is to help pitchers grip the ball better, not to make the ball explode downward, which is what happens when a foreign sub. is smeared on the ball.

The pic was posted by a member of the Cardinals organization and quickly taken down. If there was more to it than that, don't you think the Cardinals would have protested?

BTW, if you were having a guy throw 95 mph fastballs at you, wouldn't you want to know he had a good grip on the ball?

Again, I know it's over, but I had to respond when I saw this.

I thought it was the essence of class when the Cards took out a full page ad in the Boston papers congratulating the Sox. Two great teams.