Spoiled Stepdaughter...and Nothing I Can Do...A Rant

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I am really, really spoiled by my husband. I never thought I'd be treated like this. I never thought my standard of living would be anything more than living hand-to-mouth and giving up one thing have another.

I know how fortunate I am.

But I am really frustrated. My husband spoils our daughter. My stepdaughter, technically. She's 9.

Part of me gets it. We have the money. She doesn't act like a spoiled little brat (yet.) Why not give her what she needs and then some? It isn't like we always say yes when we're shopping and she wants something. But...Christmas' and Birthdays are ridiculous. And we give her more spending money for vacations than I saw in a year of my childhood. On top of THAT we buy her other stuff while on vacation. And not to mention the random stuff throughout the year like a $150 deer head mounted on her wall. Yes, we have a strange child.

My husband swears that as soon as she starts acting entitled and spoiled, that's when it all stops.

But this Christmas is just way, way over the top. DH originally just wanted to get her a computer. She's starting to use ours for stuff. I was okay with that, especially since we're going used. But, DD says she wants an iPod Touch...so DH just bought her one of those too. And this was all after a good $400 set of jewelry.

Then there's the iPod accessories and other "little" stuff.

I think, and I hate this, but if I'm honest with myself, part of me is jealous as hell. Not because my life isn't amazing, but because I had it so different as a kid. I was the oldest, and still somehow I had hand-me-down clothes. I got one "big" gift at Christmas or for my Birthday, somewhere in the range probably of $50. If it was more, it was my Christmas AND Birthday present that year. We ate fish sticks and Roman Noodles (DD gets filet. Or salmon. Or crab meat and lobster and shrimp.)

She doesn't even know what she has. Not at all. I am afraid she's going to grow up to expect this kind of life rather than realizing she has to work for it. Despite the fact that my husband leads by example as a very hard worker and does make her help him do things - from changing the oil to mowing and cleaning up the yard and even takes her to a job site sometimes.

I guess it could go either way.

And I needed an outlet. Because no matter which way you look at it, since I don't bring in the real money, and let's face it, since I'm just the stepmom (even though DH does not treat me that way, nor does DD), there is nothing I can do about it.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
My husband swears that as soon as she starts acting entitled and spoiled, that's when it all stops.

When it's too late? :)

We ate fish sticks and Roman Noodles (DD gets filet. Or salmon. Or crab meat and lobster and shrimp.)

Perspective time. I agree with most of your post, Alpha, but it's good that your stepdaughter is eating healthy foods.

Do keep in mind three things:

(1) Inflation happened.
(2) Standards of living have increased dramatically since the early nineties.
(3) When you and I were her age, that much technology would have been unheard of in a normal or even upper middle class household. The price of computers, etc. has come way down. We had one computer. It was an IBM, and its floppy disks were actually floppy. It had, like, three games on it, all educational and really lame.

FWIW, I grew up, for the time, this spoiled. And I am not whiny or entitled. Though I'm pretty possessive of my puter, I'll say that much. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...you're right. And to the #3, I've thought of that. DH wants her to know how to use a computer, and I agree with all of that. I just feel like it's so much! IDK.

I feel better already, even if I only get your response. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
There's a difference between being spoiled and pampered. From what you've written, it doesn't sound like your stepdaughter is spoiled, just pampered. And that says a lot. However, you want to be careful that she doesn't become spoiled. As long as she's not taking the luxuries for granted, I think it's fine.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
These worries are reasonable. Those of us who had it tight as children can't help but feel uneasy about the surfeit of stuff that kids today have and, worse, expect. Some of the excesses are our own fault. People who did not have much as kids just naturally enjoy giving their kids more than they had. I am guilty. Lord, I am guilty. As a widowed mother I had to say no to my own daughters many, heartbreaking times. Now I indulge my grandkids whenever possible.

My conscience bothers me but there are behaviors I will not tolerate. They mind me and know I will scold (Throw down the GRAMMY FACE) if they sass. They help me when they stay with me. They know better than to demand anything. Their mothers have them afraid to even ask me for candy. If they want something big they have to work for it. They have a respect for the hard times that their mothers and I have been through. If I can't afford something I tell them. Not easy but it makes things easier later.

As long as you and your husband have a line drawn that you agree you will not cross, you should be able to stop the giving before it turns to spoiling. --s6

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Maybe have some various iterations of a "with this much privilege comes a need to be aware of how good we have it, and our responsibility to help make the world a better place for people who don't have it as good" talk?

Or encourage her to get involved with something like a local toy drive, or local coats/mittens for kids who can't afford them organizations?

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Also, something could happen as an alternative to being spoiled.

She could grow up to be a good person, one that's generous and not terribly possessive of things, and one that counts people as far more important than stuff.

Because, at the end of the day, that's all that it is - stuff.

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
I personally also feel it's too much, despite the technology age and the fact there is money to spend. But that's just me. I have some very spoiled kids as family members who gt let the gadgets and the ridiculous spending money, and those kids are insufferable. The parents think they're precious.

Maybe really try to talk about it, so she grows up to appreciate this and not take it for granted. Or have a honest discussion with your husband about more reasonable limits for presents?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. chompers, I didn't think of it that way. Pampered vs. spoiled. I just...what is she going to do with a laptop, an iTouch AND an iPad? I don't even use all of mine! Okay, I do, but...I only use the iPad to watch Netflix on the rare times I workout on my elliptical. Or I guess on small trips when I don't want to bring a laptop.

Okay...I just need to remember that DD is really a very good child and get over this, right? DH does tend to overdo things, too. The stuff he's bought me, the things he's done for me...

I think part of the jealousy, and again, I really hate to admit this! But I think part of it is a feeling that it doesn't seem right that a 9-year old should enjoy all the same luxuries I do.

Yup. OMG I am jealous of a 9-year old.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
You do know that there's something you can do about it, right? Just talk to your hubby. When you two have some alone time, sit him down and talk. Tell him exactly how you feel, why you don't like his spoiling your/his daughter, and how it might lead to worse things down the road. Really, it's that easy. Talk to him.

I do believe that there's a lot of kids nowadays that go rotten from being babied by their parents. Not that it will happen, but it might. She's at the age where she can start learning life lessons, and IMO should.

Anyways, go buy yourself a $8 coffee. :D

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Also, something could happen as an alternative to being spoiled.

She could grow up to be a good person, one that's generous and not terribly possessive of things, and one that counts people as far more important than stuff.

Because, at the end of the day, that's all that it is - stuff.

You know, she actually is like that already. She's pretty generous about sharing her things. She does like to keep everything, but...she's not possessive.

I personally also feel it's too much, despite the technology age and the fact there is money to spend. But that's just me. I have some very spoiled kids as family members who gt let the gadgets and the ridiculous spending money, and those kids are insufferable. The parents think they're precious.

Maybe really try to talk about it, so she grows up to appreciate this and not take it for granted. Or have a honest discussion with your husband about more reasonable limits for presents?

I definitely agree that we need to make sure she understands the importance of these gifts. That she understands and appreciates them.

I have tried to talk to DH about it, and he just looks at like...at least with the laptop, these are required skills, and the sooner she learns to use them, the better. I agree with that. And I was fine with just a laptop.

It's hard to talk to DH about stuff like this. He just tells me we're financially stable enough to buy these things, so there's no need to worry. He assures me that as soon as she starts taking things for granted and expecting things and acting spoiled, everything will stop. Once he's made decisions like this, there's really nothing I can do change his mind, and there's little room for discussion.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
And I needed an outlet. Because no matter which way you look at it, since I don't bring in the real money, and let's face it, since I'm just the stepmom (even though DH does not treat me that way, nor does DD), there is nothing I can do about it.

I had a big ole response typed up, then decided I went too far. So I'll just say this: Please don't do this.

It's completely understandable.

But "I'm just the stepmom" makes me think you're holding something back. It's not my place to speculate what. I can't help wondering why, though.

Like you said, they're not treating you that way. So be the mom. At least express yourself.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

Ha. :)

As to the rest of your post, as I mentioned above, I have talked to him. Many times about it. He just keeps telling me that if that time down the road comes, we'll stop giving her things and he'll take her to work with him and make her hand-sand some drywall.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score

What he said.

Alpha, let me tell you about myself for a second. I was as pampered as your daughter. I had a pony, FFS. Our Christmases were insane. My mom spends ten thousand dollars on them at minimum, even now. It is, like, embarrassing. My husband, who also grew up poor, hates them.

My first big Christmas, I was five, and my parents were amazed and a little disappointed because I refused to even look at the presents before breakfast. (I am still that way - nothing comes before breakfast.) There were so many presents that year that it took me two days to open them all, and it didn't help that I open presents very slowly and methodically, and I took time to play with each toy before unwrapping the next.

Now, do I take stuff for granted? Sure. It's hard not to be when your cray ADD brain loses it all the time - life is something that I have to pants. But I'm also really generous with it. I have some ladyfriends that are too poor for ANY jewelry, and I have tons, so... if they have a favorite piece of mine (ETA: one without sentimental value, that didn't belong to my grandma and wasn't given to me by my husband, nothing like that), it's theirs. I once knew a grad student that was really poor and in the English department - he had no computer. So I took our best older one that wasn't being used and wiped the hard drive and put a little RAM in it and gave it to him.

Perhaps some will be disgusted by this, and some will be "aww." Not looking for hero cookies. I'll save the receipt of those for things that took effort. I just have to use the anecdote to make the point. Not everyone who grows up surrounded by stuff turns into an asshole. The only thing I am possessive of is my puter, and that's more because of what's on it than its value.

I do agree with Mac, though, that it's a good idea to show your kid how good she has it. I grew up surrounded with a lot of poverty, which may explain how I turned out okay.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I had a big ole response typed up, then decided I went too far. So I'll just say this: Please don't do this.

It's completely understandable.

But "I'm just the stepmom" makes me think you're holding something back. It's not my place to speculate what. I can't help wondering why, though.

Like you said, they're not treating you that way. So be the mom. At least express yourself.

You know, I'm not hiding anything. But maybe I'm misspeaking.

DH and I work as a team. But DH is such a way that when his foot is down or he's made a decision, that's what's going to happen. I think he'd be buying her the same things even if she were my bio-daughter, and I told him I thought we were overdoing it.

And he does this with everyone. He likes to give at the holidays. We overspend on everyone. He just bought my Grandfather a rock tumbler because he is retired and makes jewelry.

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be worried about him saying 'as soon as she starts acting spoiled'. A) That might be too late. B) parents very, very often don't see their children are spoiled. My little niece gave me such a cold, derisive look after I gave her my ten dollar present for her birthday. She threw it in the trash. Are her parents aware? No. You can't even talk to them about how she handles give when they're not around. Not saying your stepdaughter is the same, but parents are often too close to the issue, and many, many suffer of spoiling their children with things because they *can*. But it is possible to be raised well-off, pampered and grounded.

(but his attitude of showing her work and responsibilities and all that, that's good!)

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
You know, I'm not hiding anything. But maybe I'm misspeaking.

DH and I work as a team. But DH is such a way that when his foot is down or he's made a decision, that's what's going to happen.

Gotcha. That kind of "I'm just a..." phrasing is a bit of a personal trigger.

I've seen that used too many times as a reason to not even try.

Thanks. I was afraid I was digging too deep.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be worried about him saying 'as soon as she starts acting spoiled'. A) That might be too late. B) parents very, very often don't see their children are spoiled. My little niece gave me such a cold, derisive look after I gave her my ten dollar present for her birthday. She threw it in the trash. Are her parents aware? No. You can't even talk to them about how she handles give when they're not around. Not saying your stepdaughter is the same, but parents are often too close to the issue, and many, many suffer of spoiling their children with things because they *can*. But it is possible to be raised well-off, pampered and grounded.

(but his attitude of showing her work and responsibilities and all that, that's good!)

Wow. Well, I can guarantee right now she doesn't act spoiled. My best example: last Christmas she got 3 of the same book about horses. The third time she opened it, she jumped up and down and said, "Yay! Now I have 3 of them!" The person who gave her the third one told her it could be exchanged, and she said "No! Now I have one for mommy's house, one for daddy and April's, and one extra! Thank you!"

But I do see your point. Many people don't notice their own kids because they have blinders on. Maybe that will be an advantage for me as a stepmother.

Gotcha. That kind of "I'm just a..." phrasing is a bit of a personal trigger.

I've seen that used too many times as a reason to not even try.

Thanks. I was afraid I was digging too deep.

I understand and appreciate your concern. DH has always expected DD to listen to me, obey me, and respect me the same way she does him. And she does. (On top of that, she loves me too, which is awesome! :) )

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Tons of kids have the technology stuff - and will be or are required to. I know more than one kid who was required to have the latest (before yesterday, heh) ipad to start the school year, because that's how their stuff - notes, test prep, etc. - is distributed. Most kids I know also have smartphones and laptops.

The idea that you didn't get it so she shouldn't, or that it's necessarily somehow spoiling her because it's more than you had, is odd to me.

It also reads, though I could be wrong, as if you believe just having stuff or having money, or not having to have NOT had stuff, will equate to her being spoiled.

There are kids who act spoiled without having a ton of expensive stuff; there are kids who grew up with very serious money, and never wanted for anything, who aren't at all spoiled.

It's an odd example, but as he was just on CNN, Prince William, doesn't seem spoiled, nor did he ever. Everything I've ever read has said he acts like a totally normal person when out when he was at university or living in Wales or whatever. His mother made sure he knew he had money and other people didn't and that was the luck of the fucking draw, you know? She famously made them wait on lines like everyone and gave them limited pocket money for sweets when they were tiny, etc., in an effort to drive that home. I don't think she made them eat Ramen at home or didn't give them ponies.

I've known very wealthy (not that level of wealthy, heh) kids who were jackholes. I've known very wealthy kids who you wouldn't suspect were spending the weekend on a private island that was got to by a private jet (seriously). They didn't want for anything and were respectful, nice, kids who had all types of friends.

I think it's how someone is raised and just personality. One of Trump's kids used to act like a total tool (I know someone who interacted with him back when; I've no idea what he's like now). One never did.

RNJ

addicted to love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionsandlambssaga.wordpress.com
I agree with Mac. There's nothing wrong with having a lot as long as they understand that everyone is not as well-off. Teach her generosity and tolerance. I knew a family who was pretty wealthy and their kids got a lot of stuff, but they encouraged generosity and, one year for their birthdays, they both asked people to donate to a specific charity instead of buying them gifts. It can work.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Tons of kids have the technology stuff - and will be or are required to. I know more than one kid who was required to have the latest (before yesterday, heh) ipad to start the school year, because that's how their stuff - notes, test prep, etc. - is distributed. Most kids I know also have smartphones and laptops.

The idea that you didn't get it so she shouldn't, or that it's necessarily somehow spoiling her because it's more than you had, is odd to me.

It also reads, though I could be wrong, as if you believe just having stuff or having money, or not having to have NOT had stuff, will equate to her being spoiled.

You're right. And I don't think...I think it just seems like so much at such a young age. What do we get her next year?

I do know some schools are requiring it. I know that there's a girl in her class with a smartphone and many more with the iTouch.

I definitely do not mean to imply that all children who grow up with means end up spoiled, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I guess...I'm trying to figure out how to word this.

You know, it boils down to feeling like it's all so much. It didn't bother me when it was just the Android tablet. Or JUST the MP3 player. It was all of that all at once seemed like overkill.

But, you've made me feel really silly about it all, so I just may have gotten over it now.

Thanks - and I mean this not be snarky but to be honest - for putting me in my place.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I don't know if it's helpful for you or not, but we started making a habit of asking our son to "make space" in his room for new things when he knows we're about to buy them. Once a month, we go to the bookstore to buy a new book. But before we leave, he has to pick a book from his shelf to give to his little sister. He's gotten really good at finding ones he doesn't want anymore. Our plan is to have him do a bigger clean-out and find toys he doesn't need anymore when Christmas and his birthday get near. We'll see how that goes, of course, but my hope is that he'll start to learn that toys and books are nice things to have for a while, but not things to hoard forever. I'm also hoping that when his sister is old enough for the same practice, we can take out her old toys and either donate them if they're in good condition or throw them out if they're not.

We also try to avoid the toy store unless we actually need to buy something there, like his Halloween costume, a new book, or a gift for a friend. It's way easier to resist temptation when it's not right in his face.

I think generosity is something that kids learn by example. My son is too little to understand money, but I did explain what I was doing when I got together a donation of kitchen supplies for a local charity. ("Some people don't have XYZ, so I thought it would be nice to give them ours.")

Again, stuff we're trying that I have no feedback for how well it works yet. Check in on me in five years and ask how it's going. ^_^

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
No, you had valid concerns. You don't need to apologize for bringing it up. It actually says a lot about how you care, by bringing it up. And personally, I'd feel the same way too. It's a lot of stuff for a kid. Even if she appreciates them, it's still a lot of stuff. So yeah, talk to your husband. I know you said that when he's made a decision, his mind is made up. But see if you two can discuss about a compromise so that you're both comfortable with the decision.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
My very good friend is a pampered rich girl. She's never wanted for anything in her life, and a call to her parents could get her anything from a new phone to a brand new car. Because they can.

She is one of the nicest and most considerate people I've known. She went and got a job to help pay for college, even she didn't need to and could comfortably spend her Friday nights at home. Instead, she works until midnight or later and gets up at 5 AM to work early shifts when they need her. It is entirely possible to give your daughter everything she needs and more and not raise a little monster. :) It sounds like you're doing everything right to me.