PDA

View Full Version : Agents request - Query AND Synopsis aren't they the same?

keston925
10-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Dumb question.

When agents request query letter, synopsis and first 10 pages.... what's the big difference between query letter and synopsis?

Isn't that redundant? also do you include the ending in your synopsis?

Thanks ahead of time.

Keston

quicklime
10-23-2013, 03:52 AM
go look in the Share your Work section in the Query Letter Hell room......no, a query is a business pitch and a synopsis is a synopsis.....which is a short but full summary of the book.

again, look in QLH; there's even a sticky discussing this, I believe

Little Ming
10-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Dumb question.

When agents request query letter, synopsis and first 10 pages.... what's the big difference between query letter and synopsis? a lot

Isn't that redundant? no also do you include the ending in your synopsis? yes

Thanks ahead of time.

Keston

Query Letter Hell (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)

Password: vista

Mr Flibble
10-23-2013, 05:04 AM
It's like this

A query is a roughly 200 word hook to get an agent 9or pub) excited about your book. Similar but not quite the same as back cover copy. It is there to make someone say 'I gotta read this, and now!'

The synopsis is a full treatment of the story (yes including the end) which shows the agent/pub the plot all works out and doesn't flake /turn into something else half way through.

The query/hook/back cover copy is what makes you want to read the story, which due to a short length just gives a flavour. It's an enticement. A "this is why you need to read this"

The synop is a warts and all summary of the entire book.

gothicangel
10-23-2013, 12:25 PM
A Query: a speculative job application, sales copy.

A Synopsis: your business plan to persuade an agent or editor to invest financial resources into getting your book published.

ishtar'sgate
10-23-2013, 07:08 PM
One thing to remember when writing either a query or synopsis is to maintain your voice with both. Take care in writing them. Don't make them dry and factual. Be every bit as creative in writing these as you can.

keston925
10-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Such fantastic advice. You all give me clarity!

Again, and I will say this often, thank you so much.

Keston