Query letter and synopsis

ancientgear

Peace exists because of pain
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I know I have to have at least 50 posts before I can ask for beta readers but is the condition same if I want someone to have a look at my query letter and synopsis. If not and anyone is interested in having a look at my query letter and synopsis then please send me a private message.

thank you

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

All you have to do is go into BETA READERS and ask for someone to read the ms or the query/synopsis. You don't need 50 posts for that. You need those 50 posts to post anything in Share Your Work. Password for Query Letter Hell, and probably the relevant section dealing with your genre (unless it's poetry or erotica) is vista. You can go in there now, read the stickies and help critique other peoples' posts.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I know I have to have at least 50 posts before I can ask for beta readers but is the condition same if I want someone to have a look at my query letter and synopsis. If not and anyone is interested in having a look at my query letter and synopsis then please send me a private message.

thank you

You got it backwards. You can ask for betas wherever you want, doesn't mean you'll get any though, but you can ask.

Queries and synopsis go in Query Letter Hell*, where you need 50 posts to post your own, but you are strongly encouraged to read around and interact with the community before then.

Password: vista

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
You got it backwards. You can ask for betas wherever you want, doesn't mean you'll get any though, but you can ask.

Queries and synopsis go in Query Letter Hell*, where you need 50 posts to post your own, but you are strongly encouraged to read around and interact with the community before then.

Password: vista

just bolding this....ancient, i see you started similar threads in 3 forums....I get being in a hurry, but if you really want to get this done I fear you may be getting in your own way. You have like 15 posts to go, spend them starting to crit and participate in QLH, and you may be a bit ahead when you have 50 posts and can submit there.....

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Ancientgear, according to your profile, you joined AW a week and a half ago, when you still had the last two chapters of your novel to write.

With due respect, you aren't even close to being ready to query. You've written a first draft -- and congratulations on that achievement. But now you need to rewrite it, rewrite it again, proof it, and give it a final polish. This process is likely to take months. As a matter of fact, I highly recommend putting it away for at least six weeks before starting your first rewrite. Work on something else in the meantime; this gets the current book out of your mind so that when you return to it, you'll have a fresh perspective.

But whatever you do, don't start querying now. Your book is almost 100% guaranteed not ready. First drafts virtually never are. Yes, there are some famous and not-so-famous exceptions, but they're a fraction of a percent of novels that find publishers.

Last edited:

ancientgear

Peace exists because of pain
Registered
Reaction score
that's why I am working on my letter in the mean time, doesn't mean I am gone send it right away. As far I can tell the query letter and the synopsis is independent of what the state of the manuscript is, unless there is going be some drastic changes to the story during the rewriting process.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
that's why I am working on my letter in the mean time, doesn't mean I am gone send it right away. As far I can tell the query letter and the synopsis is independent of what the state of the manuscript is, unless there is going be some drastic changes to the story during the rewriting process.

You may be far more organized than me when it comes to your first draft. But I tend to find that there are significant changes between first and second drafts.

A synopsis/outline can be useful at any stage of writing and revising because it gives you an overall picture of the novel. But queries are difficult to draft well until you are certain that the book is exactly the way you want it. (And even then, you should be prepared to look at it again in six months and find things you'll want to change. This is not because you are a lousy writer now, but you'll be a better writer by then.)