Any Special rules for writing thrillers/horror plays?

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently working on a play that has some real tense, horror elements to it. The play THE WOMAN IN BLACK lists itself as a thriller. I have not seen it. I know it is listed as being 1 hour 50 minutes long.

My plays are usually screenplays in disguise (big casts, lots of changes, action, different locations, effects, the whole deal)

This show is different. Finally I have written a show with only 6 cast members, And one set. (you cannot believe how much of a miracle that was to pull off)

Anyone know if the rules are different for thrillers? I mean as far as description or listing action in the script. The use of sets, effects, etc.

Also wondering if thrillers or dark dramas with horror tend to be popular.

I know of several "ghost story" ones that tend to be big successes.

AND ONE LAST QUESTION.

The play takes place at basically a single location over a one week period. HOW can I keep the script looking engaging despite the fact that the same characters keep interacting with each other day after day?

I plan for the script to use night and day. Inside and outside the room and even a darkened area where a payphone is to break up the action and keep the story moving along.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Interesting questions. I wish I knew the answer to any of them.

I'm surprised The Woman In Black is classed as a thriller. I've only seen the TV version, which was truly scary.

Your project sounds interesting, good luck with it, and I hope you get some more replies here.

-Derek
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely make it to New York City theater, but I've subscribed to the most-attended regional professional theater in New York state for almost 20 years. (I also see edgier plays at the local black box theater.)

They don't show the audience the scripts, of course, but as far as I know, the rules for scripts don't change with the genre. The descriptions, action lines, sets, and effects for a thriller script would be written the same way as in a drama or comedy.

The theater we attend all the time hasn't staged a thriller or ghost story since we've been going, unless you count "Proof." My impression is that the audience for regional professional theater (and possibly repertory theater, too) is most often white, suburban, upper middle class or higher, and mostly 50-70. Not big horror, ghost story, or thriller fans as a group. (But lord, they love their 50s musicals. We skip 'em as often as attend.)

However, the paucity of staged thrillers might be because nobody's written a really good, and easily staged, play of that type lately--until you. If you're enthusiastic about it, and it's good, the odds are that it will find a stage. Maybe it would suit black box, college, or amateur theatrical groups, for instance.

I hope this is in some small way helpful.

Maryn, theatre lover

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the informative and inspiring replies. It was encouraging.