PDA

View Full Version : Terrible covers

SChou
10-18-2013, 09:05 PM
I couldn't help but notice the poor quality of e-book covers on here and on Amazon, and I was just wondering... does anyone here know that their covers are terrible? Is it because they've tried to design the covers themselves, or they've managed to get someone to do them for free? These bad ones seem to make up the majority of self-published books, which can't help but hurt sales. If a cover is so bad that you can't help but laugh at it then it isn't really going to make you want to read the book.

(I have to admit that I do derive some pleasure from looking at the variety of awful covers, be it because of the Photoshop attempts or the photography, or even just the layout.)

M. H. Lee
10-18-2013, 09:56 PM
I try to appreciate that everyone is at a different point in their writing journey and not ridicule my fellow writers.

Then again, I'm sure my covers are some of those you'd consider terrible, so...

K.B. Parker
10-18-2013, 10:03 PM
I couldn't help but notice the poor quality of e-book covers on here and on Amazon, and I was just wondering... does anyone here know that their covers are terrible? Is it because they've tried to design the covers themselves, or they've managed to get someone to do them for free? These bad ones seem to make up the majority of self-published books, which can't help but hurt sales. If a cover is so bad that you can't help but laugh at it then it isn't really going to make you want to read the book.

(I have to admit that I do derive some pleasure from looking at the variety of awful covers, be it because of the Photoshop attempts or the photography, or even just the layout.)

Are you serious? Really? I think there is certainly a discussion to be had on the merits of what makes a good cover, but this isn't a conversation. I think what you said, especially what I bolded, is rude and unwelcome here.

juniper
10-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Here's a thread you might like:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278113

AW Admin
10-18-2013, 10:07 PM
I couldn't help but notice the poor quality of e-book covers on here and on Amazon, and I was just wondering... does anyone here know that their covers are terrible?

You know, we're not going to have this conversation.

And you're going to go read The Newbie Guide to Absolute Write (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315).

Respect for your fellow writers isn't just a good idea; it's mandatory.