Ghostbusters

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I did a search first and didn't find a thread dedicated to this marvelous franchise, so...

Ghostbusters is one of my fondest childhood memories. It predates even my love of Captain N and Archie Comics. It's the oldest interest of mine that I still have strong feelings about (er, maybe tied with "Jem"; I'm not sure which I started watching first).

I didn't start out with the movie. I started with the cartoon series, "The Real Ghostbusters" and was watching it by 1987 at the latest. I watched it religiously on Saturday mornings and on weekday afternoons after school. I remember anticipating the one-hour primetime special, "The Halloween Door", as a freakin' EVENT!

When I eventually did see the movie for the first time on TV, the library ghost scared me so much. I stuck with the movie until they were in the hotel, but then I shut off the TV (looking at it now, the library ghost isn't scary at all). I eventually did watch the first movie in its entirety.

I remember being on a quest to get the theme song. I even got my mom to buy me a box of the RGB cereal because of a record in the box. It turned out to be for some kind of contest, and it was narrated by Egon. I was let down but still listened to it. I also borrowed a cassette tape from a friend at school, who made me promise to not copy it, because it was "rare". I tried anyway, which involved putting two radios facing each other. I seem to recall the Oingo Boingo song, "Flesh and Blood", from GB2 being on there, along with the original GB theme, "In the Name of Love" by Thompson Twins, and "I Can Wait Forever" by Air Supply, so it might have been a hybrid GB1/GB2 soundtrack. The thing it I seem to recall borrowing this tape in elementary school (1986-1989), and GB2 came out in 1989, so this would be late in my 5th grade year / early in the soundtrack release (if that's possible). Maybe I was in middle school already.

I didn't see GB2 in the theater but eventually saw it later.

In 1997 came "Extreme Ghostbusters", and it was as if my childhood itself had gotten a sequel (I've never really "grown up").

I recently unwrapped the DVD sets of GB1/GB2 and Volume 1 of RGB (I've had them for a few years) and started watching them (right time of year). GB1 is hilarious. GB2 is okay but noticably less funny. I'm really loving RGB. It feels so familiar and comfortable. Yeah, it's got obviously kiddy/cartoony parts, but, once I move on to the syndicated episodes (versus the ABC network episodes), it should get a bit more adult.

So...anyone care to geek out and share their GB memories?

junebugaboo

Registered
Reaction score
Fellow GB fan scared sh*tless by the library ghost. Also the insane canine-gargoyle monster-gods inhabiting the refrigerator. And my sister and I would have epileptic fits after Sigourney sits down on her lazyboy in her 80s work-out get-up and the claws start imprinting on the kitchen door. Then wild black arms start ripping out of the seat, screams, ringing...no, it's just too much.

Art_Sempai

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
art-sempai.deviantart.com
I've followed all the Ghostbusters shows from the beginning. The only thing I haven't seen, is the black and white original Ghostbusters movie. Extreme Ghostbusters was a nice continuation of The Real Ghostbusters IMHO. The series finally with both teams was great. It's funny, no one remembers the Jr. Ghostbusters team.:Shrug:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
"I've been slimed."

I saw GB1 in the theater and that line always struck me as particularly funny, mainly because of Bill Murray's dry delivery. That, and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. It was so ridiculous...but it worked.

I remember watching it with my mother and she pointed out all the landmarks in the film. (She grew up in New York). She was never a movie geek like I was (and still am), but she enjoyed the flick.

GB2--not that great. I only watched one episode of the cartoon series (I guess it's on YouTube by now), something about crossing the streams (like in the first movie) but it stuck with me.

That was almost thirty years ago. Time flies when you're having fun.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
It is a shame that GB3 has forever been stuck in development hell, largely due, it seems, to the truculence of Mr Murrey. I suspect they're too old (in moveiland) now and the torch would have to be passed to an odious second generation... (see Shia LaBoeuf and an awful script kill the Indiana Jones franchise).

That said I saw Ghostbusters in a packed cinema where the entire audience joined in the theme tune... great fun. You get few such inventive and fun movies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brothers and I LOVED this movie, so very much. It terrified us out of our wits, and we adored it for it. So much so that we begged our mother to buy us the tape of the soundtrack! When she did, we schemed, and ended up re-enacting a musical version of the movie, with kitchen mops and bedsheets for props, and we insisted she and her then-fiance (my now sainted stepfather, lol) watch. It was an absolute blast, and it's still one of my favorite movies, hands down. Probably due to the fond memories of our musical, lol, but still.

So there's my GB story, heh.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I remember being on a quest to get the theme song. I even got my mom to buy me a box of the RGB cereal because of a record in the box. It turned out to be for some kind of contest, and it was narrated by Egon.
Haha. I got the cereal too! I was always allowed to get a sugar cereal when we went on vacation. We went camping once and that's what I wanted more than anything! I had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it. :D

I remember having the Ray Parker Jr. album with the theme song on it. I can *almost* visualize the cover....I feel like it wasn't the one with the ghost on it...but I may be confusing it with another. I think we had more than a little Ray Parker Jr. around our house. ;)

Fellow GB fan scared sh*tless by the library ghost. Also the insane canine-gargoyle monster-gods inhabiting the refrigerator. And my sister and I would have epileptic fits after Sigourney sits down on her lazyboy in her 80s work-out get-up and the claws start imprinting on the kitchen door. Then wild black arms start ripping out of the seat, screams, ringing...no, it's just too much.
Yep. Library ghost messed me up :eek: (as I think it did for a lot of folks from my generation). As did Zuul in the refrigerator. My dad took me to the movie and I was WAY to young to go, I think. I remember my mom was really pissed. :tongue

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
I've followed all the Ghostbusters shows from the beginning. The only thing I haven't seen, is the black and white original Ghostbusters movie. Extreme Ghostbusters was a nice continuation of The Real Ghostbusters IMHO. The series finally with both teams was great. It's funny, no one remembers the Jr. Ghostbusters team.:Shrug:

Yeah, I remember the Jr. Ghostbusters. I think they were less memorable than the rest of the GB canon because they were supposed to be avatars for the child viewers, but the child viewers already HAD avatars - we were all pretending to be the senior Ghostbusters! I was always Egon and my cousin was always Winston. The other kids in the neighborhood would swap and squabble over the other characters, but I was Egon and my cousin was Winston.

(In my defense, the Slinky had already started to unravel before I got hold of it, and I was not actually trying to go all the way through my head.)

But totally, Ghostbusters is a long-time favorite. Movies, series, toys, apparently I even liked those frightening green slime sundaes they used to serve at Burger King.

Favorite villain? *nods to avi* Sammy; although I will admit the Grundel is scarier (is, in fact, one of the scariest things I've ever seen anywhere. One of those rare scary things that actually gets worse the more you think about it).

Last edited:

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
(see Shia LaBoeuf and an awful script kill the Indiana Jones franchise).

It was the script more than Shia. I'm a huge fan of his and have seen every movie he's made, and that was by far the worst and least attractive role I've ever seen him in. I'm seriously obsessed with him and even I thought he was ugly in that role. It was just a really stupid movie in general. Watch him in "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints" if you want to see what he's really capable of.

On topic: LOVE the Ghostbusters series. I've never seen the cartoons, but the movies rock. They scared the living crap out of me as a kid. I didn't even realize they weren't legit "horror" movies until I grew up and watched them again.

Russell Secord

nearly perfect
Registered
Reaction score
GB1 was on Comedy Central for Halloween. I noticed something for the first time--when Dana's groceries start doing weird things, there's a carton of eggs on the counter, but next to them is--a bag of Sta-Puft marshmallows.